AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-19, 05:12   Link #181
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I wonder how many people would give a damn about this show if Utao didn't exist.
Th... Th-th-there isn't anyone like that. *looks the other way*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Oh come on. Just look at her legs, such a perfect sight!
No one's complaining about the character designs.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 12:34   Link #182
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Ep 3 is pretty good. Couple more doll masters show up, and boobs girl brings home her college friend Tina Foster
Old 2011-07-19, 13:05   Link #183
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Episode 03

Well last ep I was wondering how Aki escaped. good thing they start the ep with that, although I'm left wondering what was so special about that sword.

That said, after that OP, I say they must have fit in all the facial expressions known to a girl, they spent about 5 minutes on Utao and her face Fat Utao.... lol. Ahem, oh, she went and bit on Kyohei's head. Oh bugger.

Still though, interesting that they have Hibino help train Utao, of course to a disastrous conclusion. And it's great that the second half of the ep really gets the story going, way back in the beginning we hear of talk of a rift between the Hyuga and Kuga families, looks like a brawl coming up. Ah, Family Matters.... I say, those dolls have a bad flaw: everytime they show up, they give their target a warning ahead of time what with that singing. Kind of a bad choice for a sneak attack

Even Kuuko got some screen time, and I'll say this: Kuuko X Aki sounds like a good start. She needs a new slave, he needs out of that village, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
No one's complaining about the character designs.
No complaints here although in ep 03, there are times Hibino looks a little scary with her big ones and pencil waist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
Ep 3 is pretty good. Couple more doll masters show up, and boobs girl brings home her college friend Tina Foster

It fits. The blonde hair, the drinking, ah I wonder if there's a hidden message to that
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 14:53   Link #184
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So we find out how Aki escaped. Utao was great with her thinking about cake and then her weight gain. So Kotoushiro shows up to bring in Aki, seems tough even Aki said it was a bother fighting him. One of the villagers said that Kotoushiro's family and Kyohei's family were fighting, i wonder what over. Also another small doll master shows up who tried to take out Utao, seems like they're rivals.
Old 2011-07-19, 15:31   Link #185
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Well, the events of this episode certainly leave me dying to see the next one (particularly Kuuko's actions, lol).

As to whether the episode was well done, however... what happened? Kyohei and Aki's scenes were handled well enough - the confrontation between them was great - but Utao's scenes were awful compared to those in episode 2. Episode 2 was subtle in its use of tropes for her character, but that's not the case in episode 3. The scene making fun of her clumsiness and love of cake was way too drawn out and over the top. I wouldn't say I would have liked to see it cut entirely as the "she never learns" bit with her saying she wants to go to a cake shop later in the episode was genuinely funny and I actually did like her expression when she served Suou, but it needed to be shorter and more subtle. To me, the real joy of Utao's character is watching her operate Kukuri and her (previously more moderate) interactions with her brother and Hibino, not this kind of thing.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 16:09   Link #186
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The real downside was pretty much not showing the fight in the episode. I mean all we get are clashing flashes in the sky?

Well either we're going to get the classic girl changes the crazy killer thing or Aki will kill Kuuko at the start of episode 4 . Oddly I'd be more for the other one. She went and rushed into things so if she gets killed oh well.

Kyohei's character should be interesting to watch. Certainly he goes between the annoying submissive guy that is trying to fit into the regular world, but then you get the flashes of the angry other side of his personality.
Old 2011-07-19, 16:25   Link #187
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I bet some people here hated/will hate the first part of the episode. Even I have to admit they tried a little too hard here, as 0utf0xZer0, those scenes were too over the top. They still did a good job making Utao look cute, but it felt forced and flowed less naturally than in the previous episodes. I guess Hibino doesn't have to worry about gaining weight, huh, we all know all the fat is concentrated only on one (two) part of her body.

Utao definitely seems to be getting better at controlling Kukuri. Catching that truck in mid-air was pretty badass. She's got her own shota rival, I take it as a sign she'll keep Kukuri. Kyohei will have to find another doll.

I was slightly shocked that guy went after Aki in broad daylight. Aren't they supposed to keep the Gods a secret?

The little piece of info we got about the current situation in the village was interesting. I bet the shota is a Hyuga. Not sure about the other guy though.
Old 2011-07-19, 16:30   Link #188
Dop
Mmmm....

Still the strange mishmash of styles between all the moe comedy (Utao likes cake! More cake! Oh no, too fat!), and action. Although when Utao summoned mecha-kyubey Kukuri to save them from the lorry that was pretty cool.

I have this theory that operating the 'dolls' can make people psychotic, and that's why Kyohei quit. Be interesting to see if Utao completely loses it later in the show.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 16:50   Link #189
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Episode 2 was subtle in its use of tropes for her character, but that's not the case in episode 3. The scene making fun of her clumsiness and love of cake was way too drawn out and over the top. I wouldn't say I would have liked to see it cut entirely as the "she never learns" bit with her saying she wants to go to a cake shop later in the episode was genuinely funny and I actually did like her expression when she served Suou, but it needed to be shorter and more subtle. To me, the real joy of Utao's character is watching her operate Kukuri and her (previously more moderate) interactions with her brother and Hibino, not this kind of thing.
Agreed. The entire scene with clumsy Utao and the gaining weight joke felt really redundant and drawn out. And you know what, it wasn't even in the manga's main story. I skimmed through a few chapters ahead of the event in this episode (yeah, lacking self-control and patience, I know) and discovered that the above-mentioned scene was from an omake with some added stuff. (Now it makes sense why the scene didn't seem to contribute anything to the story) Now I really wonder what's on the producer's mind. With only 12 or 13 episodes they don't exactly have the luxury to play around and slowly build up the story, and yet they are choosing to adapt less interesting/unnecessary material instead of more interesting one. Maybe this is a sign that they never intended to cover the whole story, but only to a certain point.

Other than that though, the story is heading somewhere interesting. Can't wait for next ep!
Old 2011-07-19, 17:18   Link #190
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Like everyone else, I thought the Utao scene in the beginning was dragged out too much, especially when that screentime could've been used to show the fight between Aki and Koushiro.

As for the overall quality, is it just me, or did the animation quality make a huge jump from the last episode? I also like how the tone is a bit more consistent, not jumping from silly to serious in seconds like it did before.

Last edited by Darkman.exe213; 2011-07-19 at 23:31.
Darkman.exe213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 17:35   Link #191
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The real downside was pretty much not showing the fight in the episode. I mean all we get are clashing flashes in the sky?

This so very much,I was getting all hyped thinking "any second now...." and was left thinking "that was it??"
Old 2011-07-19, 19:08   Link #192
Nvis
Where are the good animes

The OP has Kyohei with a very dark brown hair with tan skin, but during the episodes he has a lighter brown, wtf?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 20:08   Link #193
Dralha

The Utao cake scene was FUNNY

Good mix of lol's and drama in this.
Old 2011-07-19, 20:17   Link #194
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Giving this until episode 4, then I'm dropping it.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 20:17   Link #195
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Ugh. Can't say that I liked Episode 3 much.

Like 0utf0xZer0 and Kanon said, the comedy/slice of life parts early on where horribly overplayed, and became pretty tiresome to me after awhile.

And keep in mind that I'm a moe fan, and I want to like Utao. Even so, I found the first half of this episode pretty tedious. In fairness, it was mostly not Utao's fault, but rather mostly how she was jerked around by other characters and the plot.

And I was really disappointed in how the fighting action in this episode was largely done off-screen. This exacerbates the drawn-out first half, of course, because it's clear that some of the minutes spent on that could have been spent showcasing the Kyohei vs. Aki fight.

Aki's tendency towards casual serial killing is rather disturbing. And the Village's obvious inability to handle him makes them seem somewhat complicit in his crimes, given that they're refusing to report him to the police or anything like that. I'm a little ticked off with how nobody seems to truly care about the bodies of innocent victims that Aki's piling up right now.

This guy is a Joker-level threat to innocent people everywhere. I'm sorry, but at this point, he's not just an issue for some secluded little village anymore. He's a menace that needs to be dealt with, definitively, pronto. Simply telling him to "go home" after he kills three innocent people? What is up with that?!

So far, this anime isn't doing a good job of balancing its slice of life/moe elements with its action/'grimdark' elements, imo. The characters aren't exactly growing on me, either.

This anime may end up being a drop for me if the next episode or two doesn't show some improvement.
Old 2011-07-19, 20:48   Link #196
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The first half as other people said was a bit too draggy. Utao is cute, but playing it up like that in such forced and contrived situations isn't how to properly make use of it.

The second half was definitely a pleasure to see. I keep getting more interested in both Kyouhei and Aki. I have a feeling that the real insane on is actually Kyouhei and he murdered all those people in front of Aki in that scene.

Something is clearly amiss about Kyouhei's character. I presume the real fight with Aki and that guy is going to be next episode, this is more the tune up to it. Show continues to keep my interest, even if it isn't the best out there. Can't ask for more.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 20:51   Link #197
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Aki reminds me of Accelerator
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 20:57   Link #198
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Oh, Utao. You're cute but... How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Interesting contrast with his former self how passive Kyouhei's become. He pleads with an unrepentant serial murderer to just go away and leave him alone. So did he quit being what he was? Or was he dismissed? This episode kinda makes it sound like the latter.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 21:08   Link #199
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm in line with the first half being way too forced with the loli antics, but the second half was really excellent I thought. First rate action and breakneck pacing, with great intros for the two new characters. Looks like the little one is a shota version of Utao, pretty much.

Edit: Yep, I thought that was Kobayashi Yumiko's voice as the shota.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 21:14   Link #200
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm in line with the first half being way too forced with the loli antics, but the second half was really excellent I thought. First rate action and breakneck pacing, with great intros for the two new characters. Looks like the little one is a shota version of Utao, pretty much.
Well, I will say that Kyohei gave off a good first impression to me. He seems genuinely cool and bad ass.

Don't feel like I've seen enough of the new shota to make a comment there, though.

Tags
action, fantasy, horror, romance, seinen