AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-02, 16:06   Link #141
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If you think kids can hit the ball as hard and far as adults - especially against a 90 MPH fastball - you need to study baseball a little more.
Eh, that's not what I meant. I meant that older kids (10-13ish) are often capable of sending balls flying to the outfield in their own leagues (And with much slower pitches), so women should logically likewise be able to do the same in their own respective league, when going against other adults. I didn't mean that kids would fare well in batting in an adult league. Of course, I didn't consider the speed of Major League pitches; I figured that most pitches would be at a reasonable speed like 40 MPH or something, not 90. (Meh, I don't know much about baseball; the last time I played the sport was Little League, and I've never paid it much attention since.)

Quote:
In 130+ years there's never been a female good enough to play in the major leagues. It isn't because of sexism - it's because of physical reality. It's a fact of nature that men, as a rule, can run faster, jump higher, and hit a baseball harder than women.

It's silly to portray this series as sexist when it's just depicting things as they actually are. The subject of female baseball players having to give up the game has come up in numerous series, such as Cross Game and Major. It's just a fact of life. It doesn't reflect any sexist value judgements on anything else - just baseball.
I'm not sure what part of my post made you think I was coming down on the show as being sexist, but I wasn't; I was simply questioning whether the disparity in ability is as extreme as the show suggests, and if so wondering what exactly about the physical reality makes it so.

Anyway, I'll concede the point since it seems I'm underestimating the standards of professional baseball. Still, even if women are unable to compete in the highest tiers of baseball, I've always been under the impression that baseball treats both genders fairly evenly when it comes to casual games amongst average people that aren't particularly athletic and rarely play the sport; or at least relative to a lot of other sports (Basketball, football, etc seem extremely slanted in favor of males even on the most casual levels). Am I mistaken there as well?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 16:30   Link #142
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Anyway, I'll concede the point since it seems I'm underestimating the standards of professional baseball. Still, even if women are unable to compete in the highest tiers of baseball, I've always been under the impression that baseball treats both genders fairly evenly when it comes to casual games amongst average people that aren't particularly athletic and rarely play the sport; or at least relative to a lot of other sports (Basketball, football, etc seem extremely slanted in favor of males even on the most casual levels). Am I mistaken there as well?
I'm not sure - perhaps what you could clarify to what you're referring? Generally speaking women don't compete against men in "hardball" even in non-professional situations - there are all sorts of semi-pro and corporate baseball leagues in Japan and the US and, where women play, it's usually in female-only leagues.

In the US a lot of folks play softball - not necessarily the fiercely competitive fast-pitch variety (where a lot of talented girls end up) but in casual, slow-pitch leagues either in their town rec league or some sort of corporate league. That's where you sometimes see co-ed teams.

I wasn't so much referring to your post with regards to Moshidara, but there have been quite a few posts critical of the series in the last few days for depicting Minami as having to give up baseball. That's what I was really replying to in that portion of my post.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 16:48   Link #143
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I'm not sure what part of my post made you think I was coming down on the show as being sexist, but I wasn't; I was simply questioning whether the disparity in ability is as extreme as the show suggests, and if so wondering what exactly about the physical reality makes it so.
Meh, that was my fault. I was surprised - no one feels disappointed at how Minami and her girl friends are all managers, while all the boys are players. Honestly, I'm not surprised either. My criticism isn't toward nature for making men and women different... I feel some disappointment toward Minami's father for injecting false dreams upon his daughter. Actually, I'm somewhat okay with the dreams part, because it brought Minami some joy and success at the elementary school level. The part annoying me is when Minami's father takes back what he said previously, shattering Minami's purpose in life. That's just some bad parenting - supporting your child when she's winning, but admitting your lies when she's losing. "So... I can't be the best baseball player ever, daddy?" Just look at Minami now... she can't even pick up a baseball bat without feeling sad inside.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 17:16   Link #144
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm not sure - perhaps what you could clarify to what you're referring?
Ah, I actually wasn't thinking of any kind of leagues at all. I meant something more along the lines of, say, a group of friends (All of whom are of average physical ability and don't ever play baseball) going to an empty dugout somewhere for a one-off game. Like if Ross, Chandler, and Joey got bored one day and played a random game of softball against Rachel, Monica, and Phoebe. Except with more people.

And I forgot about the hardball/softball distinction, and was thinking of "baseball" in terms of being nothing but softball. Pardon my ignorance, I never got to play baseball much because I sucked and my Little League coach kept me in the dugout all the time. Anyway, I think I'm starting to understand things better. Hardball is always segregated for each gender, and females are at less of a disadvantage when it comes to soft than hard. (Too tired to phrase that in a less pervy-sounding way) Is the competitive, high-intensity softball you mentioned sometimes co-ed? Or is it just the more casual, lower-tier softball that's co-ed?

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2011-05-02 at 17:34.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 18:19   Link #145
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've personally never seen co-ed fast pitch softball, though I suppose it's likely played in a few places. Competitive softball is really the one great outlet for the Tsukishima Aoba's of the world - it's in the Olympics, it's played at the college level, and even their version of the Little League World Series is televised. I almost feel as if it would be wrong for males to intrude on that.
Old 2011-05-03, 00:41   Link #146
FateAnomaly

I am pretty skeptical of the no ball no bunt strategy. Even if it work in the first few matches, their opponent will quickly catch on when they look at the play records. It would allow their opponent to predict their actions.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 00:59   Link #147
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Looks like Nikai needs to have a talk with Jimmy Dugan...
Old 2011-05-03, 01:57   Link #148
Jarppa

What was that music piece at 19.00 -> at episode 6. It has fantastic melody.
Jarppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 11:55   Link #149
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I am pretty skeptical of the no ball no bunt strategy. Even if it work in the first few matches, their opponent will quickly catch on when they look at the play records. It would allow their opponent to predict their actions.
Like many things in this show, it is calculated and unrealistic. But despite the fact the drama is kind of clunky and just used to illustrate management points, I am still enjoying the show a lot.

I am especially enjoying Hikasa Youko's voice as the star. It has energy, strength, and freshness that just burst off the screen, and enliven the sequences that might otherwise be pretty dull.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 12:05   Link #150
Xacual

Maybe I don't understand enough about baseball but judging by the show even if the enemy team knows you're throwing strikes if your infield and outfield is good wouldn't that mitigate any problems?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 12:23   Link #151
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Maybe I don't understand enough about baseball but judging by the show even if the enemy team knows you're throwing strikes if your infield and outfield is good wouldn't that mitigate any problems?
There are only 8 fielders, and it's a big field. If they hit it hard enough and/or where there are no fielders, it's still a base hit. And if they hit it over the fence, it wouldn't matter if you had 50 fielders.
Old 2011-05-03, 12:29   Link #152
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Certainly. The problem is that balls in play are always more likely get batters on base then balls that are not in play. You can't always be relying on fielders to mitigate pitching woes.
ipodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 13:35   Link #153
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There are many problems with this strategy. For another thing, if the infielders are drawn in close, there is either a big gap between them and the outfielders, or else the outfielders are drawn in, too, and a moderate fly ball will go over their heads. In cricket terms, the close infield is like having all four infielders playing "silly mid" positions, so close to the batter that they can only catch balls hit very near them, and then only if they have quick reflexes, lol.

And certainly, if more pitches are in the strike zone (the area between the batter's knees and armpits, and over home plate) there will be more pitches hit, so more chance of hits and runs.

"No bunt" is a bigger deal in Japanese baseball than American, since they do more bunting over there, to advance runners while sacrificing an out: runner on first, short bunt, runner goes toward second, catcher picks up ball and only has time to throw to first, not to second. A single-base hit will then score the runner from second. (A bunt is where you don't swing at the pitch, but just hold your bat out and more or less let the pitch hit it. It is easier to make contact with a bunt than with a swing.)

"No ball" means the pitcher has to have a lot of movement on his pitches (the curve that the pitcher is practicing) if he is going to miss bats. Normally, a pitcher can pitch just outside the strike zone and get batters to swing at balls that are difficult to reach. For your own players batting, if they are to avoid swinging at balls, they have to have very good ability to see exactly where a pitch is, and the umpire has to call a very consistent strike zone -- which is not always the case.

Here in Western Canada, there is lots of girls'/women's fast-pitch softball, and plenty for boys/men, too. No women's baseball ("hardball"). Older people play mixed slow-pitch softball -- and go out to a pub afterwards.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-05-03, 14:13   Link #154
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

For me, the ball is literally flying over my head. I don't care much about the baseball, but I do greatly enjoy watching the players starting to gel as a team. The "human" factor behind the drama is also beginning to shine — they have become a team I feel like rooting for.

I'm beginning to see why the original novel was such a hit in Japan, emphasising as it does the communal spirit and integrity that makes for good management, values that would no doubt resonate with the Japanese, who are big on team work and public harmony.

Thanks to everyone's explanations, I've been able to get a better grasp of the risks behind the no-hit-no-bunting strategy. Realistically, such a methodology doesn't seem likely to bring success. But I think that's not really the underlying point. The real thing to behold is how it has managed to galvanise everyone in the team, from the players to managers and even the previously detached coach.

Whether the plan turns out to be a dud or not, it has come to uniquely define the team's identity. This is the baseball they want to play, the method that would set them apart from all other high-school teams in Japan. They own it — and that's what motivating them to go all out to make it work.

That sense of ownership is the kind of passion that all good leaders inspire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
W-Why?! Minami's team losing in Nationals (or getting knocked out before) is pretty sad in itself, but now Yuki has to die as well? This must be the impact of Madoka episode 3 on anime viewers... someone must die.
Well, we can at least take comfort in knowing she won't become a witch if that really happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Anyone else think that Minami looks like Kyonko from one of those gender-bender Suzumiya Haruhi fanfics?
And Yuki reminds me very much of Horo, actually.

So, she can't possibly die. She's immortal.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 15:08   Link #155
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
...I'm beginning to see why the original novel was such a hit in Japan, emphasising as it does the communal spirit and integrity that makes for good management, values that would no doubt resonate with the Japanese, who are big on team work and public harmony.... Whether the plan turns out to be a dud or not, it has come to uniquely define the team's identity. This is the baseball they want to play, the method that would set them apart from all other high-school teams in Japan. They own it — and that's what motivating them to go all out to make it work.....
I agree completely. The baseball part is nowhere near as important to this show as the teamwork and the management ideas. And to get your people to "own" what the company is doing brings so much more out of them than just doing what they are told. The way their consciousness is altered goes too fast here, since there are so few episodes to work with, but the feeling comes through loud and clear.

[off-topic]Thanks for mentioning your Singapore election in your sig. We have just gone through one here in Canada, and even though I am not fond of the result, it was such a joy to go together with my fellow-citizens and all cast votes to decide who we want to govern us. I highly recommend doing some work for whichever party you support: it helps you own the system, and accept the result, whatever it is. I sat in at the count for one poll (about 500 voters) to observe on behalf of one candidate, and the relationships among the representatives of various parties were friendly and respectful. We count votes by hand here, which makes the process longer, but makes sure that everything is on the up-and-up, since candidates' representatives get to look at every ballot and check the count. But unlike the US, we only vote for a member of parliament (=congressman), and don't have to vote for numerous offices at the same time.[/off-topic]
Old 2011-05-03, 15:31   Link #156
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

By the way, what's a pinch runner? Is it legal to get someone on base and then substitute in a fast runner? Kinda seems unfair, there...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 15:51   Link #157
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
By the way, what's a pinch runner? Is it legal to get someone on base and then substitute in a fast runner? Kinda seems unfair, there...
Perfectly legal. But the runner subbed out cannot re-enter the game (unless you're talking about Little League).
Old 2011-05-03, 16:49   Link #158
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Changing the topic for a bit.

I wish they had told us whether Yuki's surgery was successful or not. Or did I miss it? Three months went by and she's still in the hospital... if it worked, she should be able to get out soon. Of course, that depends on the type of surgery she underwent. We don't anything about that or her mysterious illness.
Old 2011-05-03, 16:50   Link #159
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I wish they had told us whether Yuki's surgery was successful or not. Or did I miss it? Three months went by and she's still in the hospital... if it worked, she should be able to get out soon. Of course, that depends on the type of surgery she underwent. We don't anything about that or her mysterious illness.
Probably Akane's Disease. Very common among 17 year-old girls with friends on the baseball club.
Old 2011-05-03, 19:28   Link #160
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

To my memory, the viewers were given no definitive answer as to how the surgery proceeded. But if Yuki looking away and frowning is any indication, it may not have proceeded completely perfectly. When Minami asks "Is anything wrong?" Yuki looks away disheartened, but summons a smile and answers "Yes, I'm fine." Of course, she's probably not fine. Yuki's hiding something.

Indeed, the no-bunt no-ball strategy has some merit when you factor in the different types of strike pitches in baseball. Pitchers still have some tricks with spins and curves - but I admit their arsenal is heavily reduced when focusing specifically on the strike zone. Almost every pitch is in theory hittable. Even wayward balls can be smacked if the hitter can predict the location, spin and direction of the pitch, and shift his batting position accordingly. Much easier said than done - now the batters have to prepare themselves for many different types of pitches. Traditionally, it's much more cost-efficient to swing only at strikes and ignore the balls. Radical strategy? Yeah... but fun to watch too. :P Where else can a team score 32 runs!

From baseball theory, let us shift our attention to drama. Even though Moshidora's main premise is the practical application of business management to other fields, I find the heartfelt emotions just as appealing. In episode 8, the normally stoic and analytical Nikai streamed into tears as Minami presented him with the captain's jersey. Minami's choice may be questionable, but I admire her sincerity in choosing someone of strong character. I expected at least a few first years to complain about the captain not being an actual player, but instead everyone applauds the decision. Definitely a heartwarming moment for Nikai, who never expected to wear a baseball uniform ever again.

Episode 6 Rating: 8.5/10
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, production i.g.