AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2017-05-17, 10:29   Link #2801
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

Higurashi When They Cry - Ch.5 Meakashi is being released by mangagamer soon.
Old 2017-05-17, 18:52   Link #2802
GrAVit

That reminds me, I should finish up re-reading the rest of the first 4. New sprites incoming?
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-03, 19:18   Link #2803
MCAL

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The Hou arcs finally get voiced and their own opening.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-23, 20:42   Link #2804
tyciol
*Artist

I came across some image criticizing a drawing (sprite?) of Satoko in a towel.

from https://sg2tiger.tumblr.com/post/100...debunk-all-the where I think "SG2tiger" is reposting something from "higurashi-police" who I will just refer to as "HPOL"

I thought about this criticism and had some thoughts. I'm curious what others thoughts are, if I'm right or wrong or overlooking something, about the numbered points.

Namely about point #1

HPOL seems to be fixated on "hand closed around towel" as the only means by which a towel can be held up, therefore "open hands" equals "towel must fall".

Initially it looked to me like the towel is looped overtop of Satoko's left forearm so that her forearm holds up the towel regardless of whether it is gripped by the hand.

Even though the weight of the longer length of towel in front of her forearm is more than the weight of the shorter length of towel behind the forearm (not balanced) it still needs to overcome the friction created by the towel across the top of the forearm to slide down to the heavier side.

Also it is possible for Satoko to create extra friction to prevent this by holding the left forearm against her chest, which would prevent the sliding.

Upon paying attention to the placement of Satoko's left elbow though, it becomes apparent it is not draped over the forearm.

I'm thinking they goofed in trying to draw 2 different concepts, like it was wrappd around her and came undone (even though it lacks the width to circle her whole torso)

The greatest mystery is adjacent to the left armpit: what keeps that upper corner from falling when the right wrist (crossed to left side) is placed lower on the torso than the left wrist (crossed to right side) is?

It seems obvious that the towel appears wider at the bottom than at the top, so I think the towel must be folded in on itself (or around her) to some degree?

Like maybe "it's wrapped under her left armpit" in which case the friction holding it up is actually that of the left humerus against the torso? IE if Satoko abducted her left glenohumeral joint the towel would become untucked and fall.

Instead of "looped over forearm" it's more like purely "forearm against torso" friction. Re point #2 I think the right elbow hugs the left forearm inward to create extra friction.

As to "what's she even doing" I'd just say "nervous finger spasm due to discomfort"

(3) isn't there inconsistency about the size of Satoko's chest in various sprite adaptations of her? not to mention the anime...

(4) It seems like HPOL is focusing a lot on "the facing of the pelvis" but I'm thinking part of that 'excess' curve could be explained purely by hip flexion (bending at the acetabulofemoral joint connecting upper leg to pelvis)

(5) this ties back into 4: hip flexion tends to accompany knee flexion, they're collectively thought of as "leg flexion" sometimes. The lifting of the right thigh helps to obscure the crotch from view/attack. It's an instinctive reaction for safety/privacy even when there is already a towel blocking the crotch. Think about how a guy would block getting kicked in the balls: a girl would do this too, to create a barrier so a guy can't see her vulva, or even the OUTLINE of it that she might fear a towel could create

(6) with the towel in the way you can't even see whether or not there IS a gap or not. It's one thing to say "Satoko's pelvis seems too wide compared to her abdomen" but it seems like HPOL is going all "there must be a thigh gap because I imagine it is there behind the towel" even though there might be hip flexion confused w/ wide hips

(7) why shouldn't there be a "pubic" line? This type of line is naturally created via hip flexion, isn't this basically the Iliac muscle visible in the non-obese?

(4) again (bottom right) I think we're possible confusing "the hips project because of hip flexion" with "the hips project due to large glute muscles". We're not looking at her completely from front or the side, but somewhere within that 90 degrees of rotation, at least in respect to her hip.

I think the implication here is as Satoko lifts her left leg, she is shifting her pelvis away from the viewer (towards her left side) while baring her right hip (gluteus medius) which is why it would seem bigger as if viewing viewed from the side.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote