AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-08, 19:01   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Games that you love but people(especially critics) hate?

Persona 4: While most critics seem to love it but people, mostly WRPG fans hate this one because well, just another JRPG with boring dialogues, decisions that won't change the character's morality and too visual novel-ish(which most Western gamers hate).

Resonance of Fate: Just like Persona 4 but people hated it for becoming a Tales of clone rather than an FPS.

Any CSI games: I'm not ashamed that I played most of them. At least its a good point and click adventure game.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 20:02   Link #2
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Nier. Most of the reviews I've seen rip it apart because the graphics aren't as good as some other games' and because the [totally optional] sidequests are pretty grindy, while almost entirely glossing over the amazing soundtrack and story and unique bullet hell mechanics of a lot of the boss fights. Really sad that this was published by Sqaure Enix and yet I'd have never even heard of it if my friend hadn't mentioned it. Kept me interested enough for multiple playthroughs whereas I got so bored with FFXIII I couldn't even finish it once. Oh well, there's a reason I almost never read reviews anymore and always ignore them when deciding whether to buy a game.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 20:14   Link #3
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Xenosaga I-III. Yes Episode II paled in comparison to the vision and scope of Episode I, and yes by Episode III you could plainly see that the original plot lies had been tangled and mangled by the loss of the creator/main scenario writer and reduction from 6 parts to 3. But the story they manage to tell and characters they grew despite these factors blows me away.

I am a sucker for pseudo-religious symbolism and psychological stuff, though, which is why I love Eva, Xenogears and Xenosaga.
Old 2011-01-08, 20:22   Link #4
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Well, basically most great games also has their own haters, so it would be hard to list them for me ^^;

from what I played, I think it would be Final Fantasy VIII. Many people thought that it was the worst FF in the series.
Old 2011-01-08, 21:48   Link #5
Otsdarva
Cadenza

Koei games.

Samurai Warriors - I love to kill troves of enemies... just because.

Dynasty Warriors - I love to kill troves of enemies.... Just because.

Gundam Musou - Made from Explodium.

Edit: To elaborate on my point, Most (If not all) Koei games receive low marks due to their repetitive and mindless gameplay, as well as until recently, last gen graphics.

I'm rather fond of their games. Just because I enjoy ripping forces apart single-handedly and spending hours of the same thing. It sounds boring to some people, but I actually don't mind it.
Otsdarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 21:59   Link #6
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Resonance of Fate: Just like Persona 4 but people hated it for becoming a Tales of clone rather than an FPS.
I love Resonance of Fate. I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than FFXIII!

As for games I really love but don't get too many favourable reviews?

I'd have to say the Brigade E5 and 7.62mm High Calibre games. They have a strong and loyal fan base but reviews were never positive and the graphics are rather dated for their era and never garnered much attention from newer players.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 22:17   Link #7
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I guess any platformer series like Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog. It's my favorite genre of games. I know for a fact they aren't hated since they're some of the most well known franchises on the planet, but I just never see these series' discussed by anyone anymore.

I suppose it could just be me though and/or and the crowd of people I usually hang around.
Old 2011-01-08, 22:24   Link #8
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I guess any platformer series like Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog. It's my favorite genre of games. I know for a fact they aren't hated since they're some of the most well known franchises on the planet, but I just never see these series' discussed by anyone anymore.

I suppose it could just be me though and/or and the crowd of people I usually hang around.
With Sonic at least, it could be attributed to the fact that there hasn't been an actually good Sonic game in over a decade (Sonic Colours being the exception).
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 23:25   Link #9
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post

If you visit Kotaku.com, they almost never stop talking about Mario up till now
Old 2011-01-08, 23:29   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Yggdra Union.

Played the GBA version three times and later played the PSP version as well. The game has it's problems, but I was quite surprised when some gaming sites trashed the game...... a lot. >_<

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-01-08 at 23:44.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 23:56   Link #11
paladinenvec

Starcraft 2:loved by critics (and me), they have many followers yeah but many haters too ,and many ppl hate just because it's a blizzard game(lol)...

Last edited by paladinenvec; 2011-01-09 at 03:01.
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 00:33   Link #12
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Xenosaga series and FF 9, 13 ...I know why some people hate them, but I still like it nonetheless

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 01:17   Link #13
Kazu
Flowing

Godhand- hater critics couldn't get past the first stage and bashed

Metroid Other M- X-Play's worst review ever

Xplays review

Metroid + story= sexist and bad game

It was no where near horrible

Persona games imo aren't really hated a lot, there more fans than haters if you ask me
Old 2011-01-09, 04:07   Link #14
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Final Fantasy VIII and XIII. Yeah you got it.
Old 2011-01-09, 04:44   Link #15
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I love the game but people pan it to death everywhere, all the time.

Halo series are getting there but they get some positive reviews so they're still okay
Old 2011-01-09, 05:05   Link #16
Gault
inc_mplete

Armored Core series
- Everyone who reviews it and 1st tries it calls it shxt ASAP cause they can't control the AC very well , they think the games just a walking tank shooting stuff , go deeper into it and say that again
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 06:15   Link #17
VDZ

The Super Smash Bros. series. Generally well-received, but bashed into the ground and beyond by many Western fighting game fans. Just because it isn't your kind of competitive fighting game doesn't mean it's not a competitive fighting game.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Sure, a lot of parts of the game suck. But once you've finished it, you can just select the stages you want to play, allowing you to replay only the awesome stages. This game also contains the best platforming level ever (Metal Harbor), and the best extra I've ever seen (spent countless hours in the Chao Garden).

Remember11 -the age of infinity-. It's a mystery that doesn't hand the answers on a silver platter, forcing you to actually solve them yourself (to the point that nobody's managed to solve all of the mysteries yet). I can fully understand how many people are disappointed, but I love it.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 09:25   Link #18
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
With Sonic at least, it could be attributed to the fact that there hasn't been an actually good Sonic game in over a decade (Sonic Colours being the exception).
Nonsense. Hating on Sonic has been a popular pastime ever since Sonic Heroes was released. Since then it doesn't matter how good the games are, they get bashed into the ground all the same. This trend has been reinforced by Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, which by most accounts actually was a bad Sonic game.

I loved Sonic Heroes. Running through levels while destroying lots of robots all the while looking cool? Sign me up! I didn't mind the characters talking all the time. It made the game more lively and reinforced the fact that there are three characters there cooperating with each other. I don't really care if the team mechanic could have been better, as I enjoyed what was there.

Sonic and the Secret Rings was a neat experiment. Controlling it could be a challenge at times, but it only made the experience more rewarding when you got through the level. The Arabian Nights aesthetic also wins points in my book.

Sonic Unleashed was a honest effort to make a good Sonic game with a new engine. They gave Sonic more moves and made you actually use them. The werehog stages add some platforming to the mix. Of course, the haters saw their chance and exagerrated about that part of the game. It's not that bad. Finally, I appreciate the creativity of the running boss fights.
Old 2011-01-09, 12:37   Link #19
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I love the game but people pan it to death everywhere, all the time.
Huh?

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/...are/index.html

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 13:35   Link #20
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which all reviewers seemed to hate, and a lot of fans of the Silent Hill series hated it... However I love it, and I love replaying it.

FF 13 I also like quite a bit, and a lot of the fandom seems to hate it.
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote