AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2014-05-15, 10:38   Link #701
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

You know I've been wondering this for awhile, If Accelerator can reflect and etc. all Vectors, then could he also bend light and w/eness to make himself basically turn invisible?

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 10:49   Link #702
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
You know I've been wondering this for awhile, If Accelerator can reflect and etc. all Vectors, then could he also bend light and w/eness to make himself basically turn invisible?
? yeah....
wasnt this obvious?? (maybe because i calculate with them more than others :P )

light has a direction, it travels as waves, but it still has a direction (vector) he could simply reflect it and
"booooaaaahhhhhh, mommy, mommy, the white man is gone"
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 11:08   Link #703
Meta
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
? yeah....
wasnt this obvious?? (maybe because i calculate with them more than others :P )

light has a direction, it travels as waves, but it still has a direction (vector) he could simply reflect it and
"booooaaaahhhhhh, mommy, mommy, the white man is gone"
And then he'd be blind himself?
Meta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 11:24   Link #704
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
And then he'd be blind himself?
bbbrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
ERROR ERROR

i think he can be intelligent enough to let the light go into his eyes while it is reflected by his whole body....

PS: theoretically, he would be invisible, doesnt matter if he turns blind or not (this was his question)
Old 2014-05-15, 17:07   Link #705
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
bbbrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
ERROR ERROR

i think he can be intelligent enough to let the light go into his eyes while it is reflected by his whole body....

PS: theoretically, he would be invisible, doesnt matter if he turns blind or not (this was his question)
What you see would be a giant mirror in this case.
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 17:45   Link #706
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
What you see would be a giant mirror in this case.
not really, if he reflects the light he will reflect every single particle of it.....
in some ways, we are mirrors.... the light hits us and certain parts will be released and others dont (the three core colours)....
if no light is emitted/reflected than the object turns black (example:black hole)...
with reflection he would change the lights direction so that others see "through" him....

OR im completly wrong....
but since this is fiction, f%&k logic... we only need a somehow scientific explanation but the details will be left out (as examples: pryokinesis or railgun)
Old 2014-05-16, 16:37   Link #707
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
not really, if he reflects the light he will reflect every single particle of it.....
in some ways, we are mirrors.... the light hits us and certain parts will be released and others dont (the three core colours)....
if no light is emitted/reflected than the object turns black (example:black hole)...
with reflection he would change the lights direction so that others see "through" him....

OR im completly wrong....
but since this is fiction, f%&k logic... we only need a somehow scientific explanation but the details will be left out (as examples: pryokinesis or railgun)
I'd rather think Accelerator could become invisible and still be able to use his eyes. The control of vectors and the logistics of it I wouldn't have much of a clue but it's not in the realm of impossibilities for him.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-16, 17:00   Link #708
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
I'd rather think Accelerator could become invisible and still be able to use his eyes. The control of vectors and the logistics of it I wouldn't have much of a clue but it's not in the realm of impossibilities for him.
even without mathematical proofs i think that it would make more sense than a few other things in toaru...
with this much said: i agree, i think it is inside the possible applications of his power
Old 2014-05-23, 04:39   Link #709
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Given that certain cloaks of invisibility already exist in the real world, I don't see this as inconceivable at all. And he could likely use his other senses even in the worst case he couldn't see to completely make up for a lack of vision...

The only large weakness of said technique is that 1. hiding isn't his style, he doesn't really use stealth much. 2. It would be a constant power drain and it would likely make him vulnerable to other attacks while he would be using it which completely defeats the point. Safety>> invisibility, since powerful large scale attacks will hit him, and even if he can use his powers, anything he tries to deflect would instantly reveal his position. At best, it could be a temporary measure to sneak away or get behind an opponent, but it would likely carry more than a little risk in doing so.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 14:43   Link #710
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Given that certain cloaks of invisibility already exist in the real world, I don't see this as inconceivable at all. And he could likely use his other senses even in the worst case he couldn't see to completely make up for a lack of vision...

The only large weakness of said technique is that 1. hiding isn't his style, he doesn't really use stealth much. 2. It would be a constant power drain and it would likely make him vulnerable to other attacks while he would be using it which completely defeats the point. Safety>> invisibility, since powerful large scale attacks will hit him, and even if he can use his powers, anything he tries to deflect would instantly reveal his position. At best, it could be a temporary measure to sneak away or get behind an opponent, but it would likely carry more than a little risk in doing so.
Why should he be hit by attacks if he is invisible?
i mean, the novel already stated that he needed to let light affect him, if not he would be invisible and still has reflection.... it isnt like he cant use reflection if he is invisible right?

but it would give him a much much higher chance to simply touch his enemy and end the fight in seconds (like in his fight against a kihara-counter user)

btw, could he be "invisible" for heat sensors??
Old 2014-05-23, 17:22   Link #711
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Why should he be hit by attacks if he is invisible?
i mean, the novel already stated that he needed to let light affect him, if not he would be invisible and still has reflection.... it isnt like he cant use reflection if he is invisible right?

but it would give him a much much higher chance to simply touch his enemy and end the fight in seconds (like in his fight against a kihara-counter user)

btw, could he be "invisible" for heat sensors??
What I mean is that he would have to consciously not let light go through since it is a subconscious element he allows through as Kakine pointed out when they fought, and if he had to constantly think about it, it might affect his reflection if a large-scale attack is used which hits everything nearby no matter whether he is invisible or not. Most strong opponents he would fight now could probably pull of such a massive attack...

He might be able to... I don't know nearly enough physics to say so for sure...

Edit: Oh. You mean against Kihara counter users... Yeah that could be useful. Since they likely wouldn't have a massive large scale attack, but I feel like his wings are enough to handle them anyway.
Old 2014-05-24, 00:51   Link #712
LevelSeven

Quote:
What I mean is that he would have to consciously not let light go through since it is a subconscious element he allows through as Kakine pointed out when they fought, and if he had to constantly think about it, it might affect his reflection if a large-scale attack is used which hits everything nearby no matter whether he is invisible or not. Most strong opponents he would fight now could probably pull of such a massive attack...

He might be able to... I don't know nearly enough physics to say so for sure...

Edit: Oh. You mean against Kihara counter users... Yeah that could be useful. Since they likely wouldn't have a massive large scale attack, but I feel like his wings are enough to handle them anyway.
if i understood his subconscious reflection correctly than, i think that he needed to let light affect him, you mentioned kakine, didnt he also say that the filter regulates itself for his convenience?
but what do you mean with large scale attacks? a spell? nuke? because he never faced a large scale attack, not even aiwass showed something like that....

with the knowledge i have about actual physics:
light travels as waves, it is 300.000km/s fast and still has vectors (as long as something moves from A to B it has them (unless toaru makes more bubble-science/natural laws), waves too)

well, until now, their was maybe one enemy who wouldnt have a hugh disadvantage if accel turned invisible, aiwass, the others would have a horrible time against "hollow man" XD this application should saved him from tridents trap :/
Old 2014-05-24, 18:34   Link #713
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
if i understood his subconscious reflection correctly than, i think that he needed to let light affect him, you mentioned kakine, didnt he also say that the filter regulates itself for his convenience?
but what do you mean with large scale attacks? a spell? nuke? because he never faced a large scale attack, not even aiwass showed something like that....

light travels as waves, it is 300.000km/s fast and still has vectors (as long as something moves from A to B it has them (unless toaru makes more bubble-science/natural laws), waves too)

well, until now, their was maybe one enemy who wouldnt have a hugh disadvantage if accel turned invisible, aiwass, the others would have a horrible time against "hollow man" XD this application should saved him from tridents trap :/
Large scale attack means an attack with an effective target range that could hit the entire area around a person... Birdway, Fiamma, Ollerus, Othinus could all easily do that and I'm sure there other examples of other people that would make it pointless not to try to use wings to fight back.
Old 2014-05-25, 05:04   Link #714
LevelSeven

Quote:
Large scale attack means an attack with an effective target range that could hit the entire area around a person... Birdway, Fiamma, Ollerus, Othinus could all easily do that and I'm sure there other examples of other people that would make it pointless not to try to use wings to fight back.
I agree IF their attacks can actually hit him, as far as it goes until now, we saw that he could reflect/weaken ARCHANGEL gabriels wings (who are mountain level or so) and that lspad fiamma telesma bomb pierced right through his reflection....
every other time it was reflected/twisted....

of course, reality warping like othinus's affected him but we dont know if birdways or ollerus's/othinus's mini bombs can hit him,
fiammas case, im still confused:
he said he can win against everyone but every attack of him seemed to be like a regular spell, moving from A to B, their was one time where he used "instant-win" it was in Vol.16 epilogue, but wasnt that a shockwave?

nevermind, in short: i agree that he should fight with wings if they can hit him, but if not than it would be useless to activate them....
Old 2014-05-26, 04:32   Link #715
Neutral

Quote:
Its the other way around, his reflection automatically reflects UV rays to the bare minimum his body needs. This is why he is pale and albino-ish.
Quote:
Large scale attacks are attacks that have an area of effect. And he did experience a large scale attack, barring Fiamma's telesma attack, he experienced Gabriel's Sweep in Index v21.
Quote:
Light travels at 29979458 m/s or 30000 km/s, and this is in vacuum. In Earth, LS is 299705 km/s. And not really, light displays wave-particle properties, so it is not exclusively functions as a wave.
Quote:
I agree with dniv, Accel in his current reduced state might need to really concentrate in order to fully redirect light while leaving enough un-redirected light to enter his eyes in order to see. And I think this is him doing this while standing still, a greater part of his concentration might be needed in order to redirect light while moving.
Neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 05:29   Link #716
LevelSeven

@Neutral
first, really great avatar

Quote:
Its the other way around, his reflection automatically reflects UV rays to the bare minimum his body needs. This is why he is pale and albino-ish.
this is the reason why i think that he could also reflect light after his convenience, if he reflects uv-rays even while he isnt in esper mode than i think that the reflection of light isnt really harder...

Quote:
Large scale attacks are attacks that have an area of effect. And he did experience a large scale attack, barring Fiamma's telesma attack, he experienced Gabriel's Sweep in Index v21.
fiammas lpsad telesma bomb was stopped in his wing mode so i wouldnt count it
but i think i mentioned gabriel (maybe)
and that he managed to reflect/weaken the wings...
if he simply changes the "settings" of his reflection and includes light, than it would still work like always, i dont see why he wouldnt have any calculation ability left for anything else

Quote:
Light travels at 29979458 m/s or 30000 km/s, and this is in vacuum. In Earth, LS is 299705 km/s. And not really, light displays wave-particle properties, so it is not exclusively functions as a wave.
you need to look again, light travels much faster than 30.000 km /s, it is also classified under (travels as) electromagnetic waves (and waves also have vectors (at least in this universe))

here a article of wikipedia
Spoiler for boring:

Quote:
I agree with dniv, Accel in his current reduced state might need to really concentrate in order to fully redirect light while leaving enough un-redirected light to enter his eyes in order to see. And I think this is him doing this while standing still, a greater part of his concentration might be needed in order to redirect light while moving.
like i said above, i dont see a acceptable/logical reason why he cant reflect light with his subconsiouss like he does with UV rays, they travel both nearly at the same speed...

that he didnt use it until now is maybe the fault of his lazyness or a idiot ball
Old 2014-05-26, 08:31   Link #717
Neutral

Quote:
this is the reason why i think that he could also reflect light after his convenience, if he reflects uv-rays even while he isnt in esper mode than i think that the reflection of light isnt really harder...
... UV rays is the same as visible light, since ultraviolet rays are a wavelength of visible light.
Quote:
Right . . . so I guess an attack designed to destroy a continent is considered small scale because it was blocked. Barely blocked it. Got it.
Quote:
if he simply changes the "settings" of his reflection and includes light, than it would still work like always, i dont see why he wouldnt have any calculation ability left for anything else
Stop contradicting yourself. Its already settled that he CAN affect light, no one is denying that, since he already redirects UV rays subconsciously. So there is no more need for him to change any settings.
Quote:
you need to look again, light travels much faster than 30.000 km /s, it is also classified under (travels as) electromagnetic waves (and waves also have vectors (at least in this universe))

Spoiler for boring:
Sorry, missed a zero, I intended to round up 299792.5 to 300000. Doesn't matter though, the number you pointed out was its value in a vacuum, like outer space, whats important is getting the value of LS in air.
Quote:
like i said above, i dont see a acceptable/logical reason why he cant reflect light with his subconsiouss like he does with UV rays, they travel both nearly at the same speed...

that he didnt use it until now is maybe the fault of his lazyness or a idiot ball
Like I said above, no one is saying that he can't, we were just pointing out the possible difficulties and reasons as to why he avoids in doing so. Heck, Misaka can technically manipulate light and turn invisible as well, since light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, and manipulating electromagnetism is Misaka's main ability. Or maybe Gunha as well, since he can punch away all sorts of things.
Well, anyhoo, Accelerator will display more exotic applications of his ability if and when the author decides to drop him in another hellish situation.
Old 2014-05-26, 10:38   Link #718
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
@Neutral
first, really great avatar

Spoiler for boring:

Maybe he will use it in the Accelerator manga if he ends up trying to spy on Kiharas. That would be rather nice actually.

Also, I want to point out in advance for your own benefit:

In English, when we write large numbers we always use commas instead of periods. I speak five languages so I understand a lot of what people are trying to say on this forum even when it's said grammatically incorrectly. So 300,000. Science people might think you are saying 300.000 m/s means light travels at 300 m/s with three extra significant figures of accuracy... Which I can tell isn't what you meant... Lol.
Old 2014-05-26, 11:38   Link #719
LevelSeven

@neutral
Quote:
... UV rays is the same as visible light, since ultraviolet rays are a wavelength of visible light.
uv rays are traveling with the light but they arent visible, their values are to high for our eyes to recognize them

Quote:
Right . . . so I guess an attack designed to destroy a continent is considered small scale because it was blocked. Barely blocked it. Got it.
*sigh*
i never said that the attack was weak, hence it would have wiped out 1/4 (1/5) of the world...

but i dont count them because he stopped it in his white wing mode which is not his usual way of fighting (like it isnt the usual way of touma to fight with IT)

Quote:
Stop contradicting yourself. Its already settled that he CAN affect light, no one is denying that, since he already redirects UV rays subconsciously. So there is no more need for him to change any settings.
i dont know where i contradicted myself

Quote:
Sorry, missed a zero, I intended to round up 299792.5 to 300000. Doesn't matter though, the number you pointed out was its value in a vacuum, like outer space, whats important is getting the value of LS in air.
this depends on the kind of air, if their is fog than the light will travel "much" slower

Quote:
Like I said above, no one is saying that he can't, we were just pointing out the possible difficulties and reasons as to why he avoids in doing so. Heck, Misaka can technically manipulate light and turn invisible as well, since light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, and manipulating electromagnetism is Misaka's main ability. Or maybe Gunha as well, since he can punch away all sorts of things.
Well, anyhoo, Accelerator will display more exotic applications of his ability if and when the author decides to drop him in another hellish situation.
ok, i need to widen my list:
he is to lazy
he has the idiot ball
OR his limits are showing itself which dont allow him to do it (the same would be with mikoto, she cant do it because of her limits), like you guys said, his limited calculation ability...

@dniv
Quote:
Maybe he will use it in the Accelerator manga if he ends up trying to spy on Kiharas. That would be rather nice actually.
this would be awesome

Quote:
In English, when we write large numbers we always use commas instead of periods. I speak five languages so I understand a lot of what people are trying to say on this forum even when it's said grammatically incorrectly. So 300,000. Science people might think you are saying 300.000 m/s means light travels at 300 m/s with three extra significant figures of accuracy... Which I can tell isn't what you meant... Lol.
oh, learned something new

Last edited by LevelSeven; 2014-05-26 at 11:50.
Old 2014-05-26, 22:54   Link #720
Neutral

Quote:
uv rays are traveling with the light but they arent visible, their values are to high for our eyes to recognize them
Herp derp derpalicious, from wiki:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet (UV) light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength shorter than that of visible light, but longer than X-rays, that is, in the range between 400 nm and 100 nm, corresponding to photon energies from 3 eV to 124 eV. It is so-named because the spectrum consists of electromagnetic waves with frequencies higher than those that humans identify as the color violet. These frequencies are invisible to most humans except those with aphakia. Near-UV is visible to a number of insects and birds.
And before you say UV rays travel at different speed than visible light:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Speed of light
The speed of light in vacuum, commonly denoted c, is a universal physical constant important in many areas of physics. Its value is exactly 299,792,458 metres per second, a figure that is exact because the length of the metre is defined from this constant and the international standard for time.This is, to three significant figures, 186,000 miles per second, or about 671 million miles per hour. According to special relativity, c is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It is the speed at which all massless particles and changes of the associated fields (including electromagnetic radiation such as light and gravitational waves) travel in vacuum.
To sum it up: (UV rays = light = visible light) = electromagnetic radiation.
Quote:
*sigh*
i never said that the attack was weak, hence it would have wiped out 1/4 (1/5) of the world...

but i dont count them because he stopped it in his white wing mode which is not his usual way of fighting (like it isnt the usual way of touma to fight with IT)
Oh I know, you just discounted it as large scale attack and downplayed it by the simple fact that Accel blocked it in wwm, something that happens often and he did quite easily. Yup got it.
Quote:
i dont know where i contradicted myself
You know what? Nvm.

Quote:
this depends on the kind of air, if their is fog than the light will travel "much" slower
Look up the refractive index of air. Use the formula for refractive index to get LS in atmosphere. And fog is not air, its more water particles floating in air. Or are you going to bring up smog, steam, smoke, nitrogen, etc.?
Quote:
ok, i need to widen my list:
he is to lazy
he has the idiot ball
OR his limits are showing itself which dont allow him to do it (the same would be with mikoto, she cant do it because of her limits), like you guys said, his limited calculation ability...
Or there's no point in for him in doing so.