AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-13, 21:43   Link #201
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Haruhi really doesn't strike me as the one-night stand sort of person. Her approach to others suggests to me that she's either really into you (to the point she wants you to be part of her regular entourage), or she has no investment/particular interest in you at all (romantic, sexual, or otherwise).
I agree, and I wasn't really trying to say that Haruhi was the type to do that.

My point was that someone (not Haruhi in this example) who does find both sexes sexually attractive but prefer one gender over the other might be willing to have a sexual encounter with either, but would only consider one gender as viable for relationship material.

I apologize for not making myself clear.
Old 2009-10-13, 21:53   Link #202
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post

My point was that someone (not Haruhi in this example) who does find both sexes sexually attractive but prefer one gender over the other might be willing to have a sexual encounter with either, but would only consider one gender as viable for relationship material.

I know - don't worry; I didn't take your post the wrong way. I figured that somebody else might, though, which is why I made my "Haruhi is not an one-night stand kind of girl" post.
Old 2009-10-13, 22:02   Link #203
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:

i get what what you saying Jonbob and i would have to agree with you as well.
i was also just thinking that if Kyon ever got Haruhi in the sack she would be absolutly wild.
Old 2009-10-13, 22:19   Link #204
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
i get what what you saying Jonbob and i would have to agree with you as well.
i was also just thinking that if Kyon ever got Haruhi in the sack she would be absolutly wild.
I always imagined their first time together being extremely awkward. They're both virgins after all. It could be funny to see to two of them fumbling about trying to do it right (And yelling at each other in the process).

I do agree that eventually (when the two of them got the hang of it) they would have some pretty damn wild nights. She is rather athletic, after all...
Old 2009-10-13, 22:24   Link #205
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
I always imagined their first time together being extremely awkward. They're both virgins after all. It could be funny to see to two of them fumbling about trying to do it right (And yelling at each other in the process).

I do agree that eventually (when the two of them got the hang of it) they would have some pretty damn wild nights. She is rather athletic, after all...
Most of the better fanfiction that goes down the Lemon Brick Road takes this approach. Her outward roughness holds a gentler, vulnerable side. She'd probably still be plenty Tsundere in her words during, and I can see her poking fun at Kyon, but ultimately she'd be just as unsure. She's so unused to direct affection and emotional honesty that that situation would have her off guard.
Old 2009-10-13, 22:33   Link #206
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Most of the better fanfiction that goes down the Lemon Brick Road takes this approach. Her outward roughness holds a gentler, vulnerable side. She'd probably still be plenty Tsundere in her words during, and I can see her poking fun at Kyon, but ultimately she'd be just as unsure. She's so unused to direct affection and emotional honesty that that situation would have her off guard.
Yeah, Haruhi's either depicted as either that or a complete slut in most...adult oriented works involving her character (hentai and lemons). I will not comment on how I know this... >_>
Old 2009-10-13, 22:50   Link #207
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Quote:
Yeah, Haruhi's either depicted as either that or a complete slut in most...adult oriented works involving her character (hentai and lemons). I will not comment on how I know this... >_>
i definitely agree with you both there.

ive always thought that between the two it would go along the line of Haruhi trying to take control of what to do with Kyon complainging that shes doing it wrong but both of them being really nervous about it. i dont think Haruhi would be a slut. real keen but not a slut
Old 2009-10-13, 22:53   Link #208
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
i definitely agree with you both there.

ive always thought that between the two it would go along the line of Haruhi trying to take control of what to do with Kyon complainging that shes doing it wrong but both of them being really nervous about it. i dont think Haruhi would be a slut. real keen but not a slut
Certainly not. Haruhi may be aggressive and socially uninhibited, but a bundle of primitive instincts is the last thing she is. She has high standards and hopes, and the person she puts this on more than anyone else is Kyon. Itsuki makes comments here and there in the novels about how Haruhi makes various concessions to give Kyon a chance to prove to her that he really is the man she believes him to be.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:00   Link #209
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Quote:
Certainly not. Haruhi may be aggressive and socially uninhibited, but a bundle of primitive instincts is the last thing she is. She has high standards and hopes, and the person she puts this on more than anyone else is Kyon. Itsuki makes comments here and there in the novels about how Haruhi makes various concessions to give Kyon a chance to prove to her that he really is the man she believes him to be.
exactly. its just that Kyon is a bit slow to pick up on this.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:09   Link #210
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
exactly. its just that Kyon is a bit slow to pick up on this.
Like pretty much every guy in a situation where he has multiple girls that want him in bed.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-13, 23:17   Link #211
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

I remember one doujin where Haruhi was portrayed as a masochist (It was the same one where Kyon beats the crap out of her). I found it...very uncharacteristic of her...
Old 2009-10-13, 23:21   Link #212
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Like pretty much every guy in a situation where he has multiple girls that want him in bed.
Always seemed more like denial to me. Kyon acts incredulous at the notion that Haruhi is anything other than entropy on two (sexy) legs, but this, along with all of his snarking and seemingly resigned behavior is his way of framing the extraordinary and absurd world around him in some more readily acceptable cynicism.

Haruhi, conversely, goes to great lengths to mask her affections for Kyon behind substantially more grandiose aims--Baseball glory and treasure hunting rush to mind--because her own lifestyle is based on a paradigm that she's finding with some surprise she doesn't really believe. She in fact is interested in a normal human, more so than anything else, and I think she appreciates the fact that, whether or not he is complaining, angry, silent or what have you, he is still there with her. There when no one else is. There when she feels even the supernatural has let her down.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:21   Link #213
Triple_R
*Author

... You know, I don't think that I've ever seen people deliberate more carefully over what a fictional character would be like in bed. It's almost like reading people speculating over how Barack Obama will handle his next geopolitical diplomatic venture.

"Well, I believe that Barack, being new to the Presidency position, will be rather awkward at first, but after awhile, his natural oratory talents will lead him to be an exceptional diplomat."

"Some say that he's too soft, you know, and too easy. But I don't think so. I think he takes it all very seriously."

"True. He is definitely not too soft. He will be fairly critical of Iran, but a bit unsure of himself as well."

... Honestly, folks, I don't think we need to concern ourselves this much about what Haurhi is like in bed. I'm sure she'll be fine.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:25   Link #214
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
... Honestly, folks, I don't think we need to concern ourselves this much about what Haurhi is like in bed. I'm sure she'll be fine.
As a writer, I believe that with proper attention to detail, any aspect of a character's conduct and lifestyle can say something meaningful about them. Whatever the motivation for the original speculation, it's part of the character. Some people just like to have a complete understanding of the characters they like, down to the last detail. When I write novels, for instance, I don't consider a character complete until I can picture every moment they spend at the dinner table at night.

It's like that. But with sex instead of dinner.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:25   Link #215
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

It's still fun to discuss, no matter how silly it is...

edit: And I totally get what you're saying Ricky. Half the fun in writing and characterization is developing the little details that make a character unique.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:28   Link #216
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
As a writer, I believe that with proper attention to detail, any aspect of a character's conduct and lifestyle can say something meaningful about them. Whatever the motivation for the original speculation, it's part of the character. Some people just like to have a complete understanding of the characters they like, down to the last detail. When I write novels, for instance, I don't consider a character complete until I can picture every moment they spend at the dinner table at night.

It's like that. But with sex instead of dinner.
I guess for me, a lot of it comes back to a line I once heard:

Sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's not that bad.

I tend to agree with that. I also think that sex often has a spontaneous aspect to it, and isn't, well, micromanaged to the smallest detail. Frankly, I think that Haruhi's first time may be a great experience for her and her partner... as I can easily imagine it being creative and spontaneous, and not managed like a diplomatic meeting.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:31   Link #217
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
I guess for me, a lot of it comes back to a line I once heard:

Sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's not that bad.

I tend to agree with that. I also think that sex often has a spontaneous aspect to it, and isn't, well, micromanaged to the smallest detail. Frankly, I think that Haruhi's first time may be a great experience for her and her partner... as I can easily imagine it being creative and spontaneous, and not managed like a diplomatic meeting.
Oh, certainly, I agree with your prediction. I wasn't so much saying that I think the act itself would be some masterwork of precision planning, rather that the discussion about it is born from a curiosity about the full depths of the character: as much as Tanigawa conveys in the novels, there are also volumes of material more that are not explored, and the bizarre happenings are not the only interesting ones, of course.

I apologize if my intention was unclear.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:33   Link #218
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Oh, certainly, I agree with your prediction. I wasn't so much saying that I think the act itself would be some masterwork of precision planning, rather that the discussion about it is born from a curiosity about the full depths of the character: as much as Tanigawa conveys in the novels, there's also volumes of material more that is not explored, and the bizarre happenings are not the only interesting ones, of course.

I apologize if my intention was unclear.
Good points. I see where you're coming from here.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:35   Link #219
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
... Are we going to need a "The Sex Life of Haruhi Suzumiya" thread?

Still... "It's like that. But with sex instead of dinner." is one of the funniest things that's come up in this thread.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-13, 23:37   Link #220
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... Are we going to need a "The Sex Life of Haruhi Suzumiya" thread?
They should make it a weekly special on the Playboy Channel. Given Haruhi's taste in fetish wear, it might be appropriate.

Tags
characters