AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 23
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 26 23.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 21 19.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 24 22.02%
7 out of 10 : Good... 18 16.51%
6 out of 10 : Average... 11 10.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 2.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 2 1.83%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-10, 06:17   Link #121
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
^I would like to know what the supposed "harsh" penalties relating to self-destruct are. According to Sugu, it's pretty bad.
Loss of XP and skill points. But a big one.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 07:05   Link #122
Awrya
U mad?

Now that I think about it, Sugu's sword most likely gives him a boost in stats, but since his Greatsword is way bigger than her Katana, even if he overlays them, his black sword is basically doing the damage as it has longer reach.
In a sense, there was absolutely no need to perform Giga Drill Breaker with two swords, when he could have just used one sword as well.
Old 2012-12-10, 07:26   Link #123
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
In a sense, there was absolutely no need to perform Giga Drill Breaker with two swords, when he could have just used one sword as well.
Not really... Some swords carry stats... it actually still depends on the sword's ability.. In game.. shorter swords doesn't always means shorter reach,,,
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 07:57   Link #124
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I can understand the XP loss, but wow, an actual loss of skill levels?

Why would he even bother learning something like that? Was he too enticed by the sheer number of awesome words needed to cast it?

It seems so out of place considering it looks like Recon uses a magic-based thief build.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 08:25   Link #125
Insane
Banned

Quote:
I object this one. ALO isn't operating with "level" system, that means EXP system does unlikely exist as well.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 09:34   Link #126
jpwong

Quote:
^I would like to know what the supposed "harsh" penalties relating to self-destruct are. According to Sugu, it's pretty bad.
Spoiler for Novel:
Old 2012-12-10, 10:09   Link #127
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I object this one. ALO isn't operating with "level" system, that means EXP system does unlikely exist as well.
There's a difference between level XP and skill XP.
Old 2012-12-10, 12:13   Link #128
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
I can understand the XP loss, but wow, an actual loss of skill levels?

Why would he even bother learning something like that? Was he too enticed by the sheer number of awesome words needed to cast it?

It seems so out of place considering it looks like Recon uses a magic-based thief build.
As others have mentioned, I doubt there's XP loss as ALO works on a skill based system only. it is however conceivable that there's some sort of XP system tagged onto skill level up. however, here we're dealing with loses of whole skill points, not just XP progression toward the next skill level.

As for why Recon would learn something like that, it makes sense for the creators to make a self-destruction spell accessible to all player classes. the power of the blast is likely several-times that of even the most powerful regular explosion spells. At the end, A person would only learn it to look heroic and impress his friends (in this case Leefa, who quickly forgot about him afterwards XD)
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 13:20   Link #129
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Now that I think about it, Sugu's sword most likely gives him a boost in stats, but since his Greatsword is way bigger than her Katana, even if he overlays them, his black sword is basically doing the damage as it has longer reach.
Actually if you look closely, when he overlays the two swords together, you can see a pair of glyphs appear at the tip. One of them is black, the other green, so there seems to be some magic effect going on. Might have something to do with why Leafa's sword glowed green just before Kirito grabbed it.
Old 2012-12-10, 14:16   Link #130
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

My brother was speculating on this episode, wondering " what if self destruct magic existed in SAO", and figured certain groups of players might force low levels to blow themselves up on a boss "for the greater good"
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 15:15   Link #131
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
My brother was speculating on this episode, wondering " what if self destruct magic existed in SAO", and figured certain groups of players might force low levels to blow themselves up on a boss "for the greater good"
Seeing how it's the same people on the frontlines, I'd doubt the frontline people would let such an action go.

Not to mention, if I were somehow "forced" (not sure how you could force me to do it), I'd probably threaten to take them down instead of the boss so it's up to them if they want to force me or not. Dare to PK me? Fine I'll PK all of you scrubs.
Old 2012-12-10, 15:57   Link #132
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Seeing how it's the same people on the frontlines, I'd doubt the frontline people would let such an action go.
It probably wouldn't happen on the frontline. Not until they got a lot more desperate they ever got.

But wherever the hunting grounds of the red guilds were, you could have that.

Quote:
Not to mention, if I were somehow "forced" (not sure how you could force me to do it),
Hostages.
Old 2012-12-10, 16:16   Link #133
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Given how there was no magic in SAO, I doubt there was self-destruct magic in SAO--assuming the topic is the game SAO, and not the anime/franchise SAO.

That said there are ways to sacrifice yourself to ensure a victory--mainly by letting an enemy stab you and using that moment while their blade is stuck in you to attack. Just like Kirito did to Heathcliff... though doing so before your HP runs out and intentionally.
Old 2012-12-10, 16:24   Link #134
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

SAO was of course magic free, just speaking in hypotheticals here. (And now I imagine it WITH magic... Can you imagine how stressful being a healer would be? o_o)

It would've been nice had the PKing angle been explored a but more, but oh well.

While the obvious reason it hasn't come up is because its not important to the story, I have to imagine Kirito tries to forget about the whole "killing Kuradeel" thing.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 17:28   Link #135
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
It probably wouldn't happen on the frontline. Not until they got a lot more desperate they ever got.

But wherever the hunting grounds of the red guilds were, you could have that.

Hostages.
Let the hostages go or imma blow u up! with the exception of laughing coffin, i highly doubt we'd get anything similar to this.

Would've been nice to have an episode on Kirito trying to find where sachie's family is/mourn over her death in some form in the Real World.

But we digress. Let's get back on topic.
Old 2012-12-10, 18:11   Link #136
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Let the hostages go or imma blow u up!
With the hostage? And anyway, it's not a sure kill technique. It takes time to activate. They'd just kill you before that. And even if it doesn't work on everybody, it'd probably work on some people. It wouldn't be all that useful, but it'd be the same kind if sick entertainment the LC were into.

Quote:
with the exception of laughing coffin, i highly doubt we'd get anything similar to this.
They weren't the only red guild. Just the most infamous.

Quote:
Would've been nice to have an episode on Kirito trying to find where sachie's family is/mourn over her death in some form in the Real World.
Not really. She's been dead for months. Maybe more than a year. Why reopen old wounds? And what could he tell them?
Old 2012-12-10, 18:43   Link #137
Insane
Banned

I'm curious as to why Kirito's eyes always shine in golden colour whenever he pulls his hidden trump card (the same thing happened in his fight against Heathcliff as well). Don't tell me he got capacity to manipulate the rule of law inside the game even though he's supposedly not a GM?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 18:45   Link #138
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It may be that. It only happened when Kirito resisted death in SAO, and since (we've been over this before) ALO was built off of SAO, there are likely some exploits that carried over.
Old 2012-12-10, 18:53   Link #139
Krono

Quote:
Not really. She's been dead for months. Maybe more than a year. Why reopen old wounds? And what could he tell them?
The Black Cats were wiped out in June 2023. It's currently January 2025. So it's been a year an a half.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 19:26   Link #140
GDB

Quote:
Kirito met the Black Cats April 8, 2023. Sacchi ran away May 16, 2023, and shortly after that (though I can't find a specific date) she died. SAO ended November 8, 2024 (if I read the day correctly). It took him at least one to two months to physically recover after it was all over. At that point, it'd have been at least a year and a half since she died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I'm curious as to why Kirito's eyes always shine in golden colour whenever he pulls his hidden trump card (the same thing happened in his fight against Heathcliff as well). Don't tell me he got capacity to manipulate the rule of law inside the game even though he's supposedly not a GM?
Early Incarnate System, most likely (from Accel World).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote