Notices

Old 2013-02-19, 20:53   Link #141
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
And apparently Mamoru Hosoda will be in attendance

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...intl-film-fest

I bought tickets for the 4:00 PM show on March 9th. I am thinking this is too good to be true and I misread something.
I agree that is too good to be true
Old 2013-02-20, 10:29   Link #142
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's Feb 20. Have you checked your usual sources?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 17:24   Link #143
Limenade
Boss Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It's Feb 20. Have you checked your usual sources?
The japanese version is out on some sites so I imagine it'll be a couple days from those sites for subs.
Limenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 15:18   Link #144
Branduil
Typesetter
*Fansubber

Hopefully an English version is available soon.
Branduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 00:39   Link #145
Limenade
Boss Mode

No word on anyone working on the translations still?
Limenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 04:35   Link #146
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Need... this... movie... can't wait... anymore...
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 04:41   Link #147
brocko

Watch it people, the wait is over! GOGOGO!

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 08:29   Link #148
Kirarakim

Now that I have the ticket to see it in NY I have to force myself to wait (well I have a lot of work to do)

Btw anyone in the NY area want a ticket? I have an extra one since my friend could not go. Just PM me.
Old 2013-03-03, 01:18   Link #149
Utsuro no Hako

Okay, watched it, enjoyed it, great movie and all ... but there's one thing that's bugging me.

Spoiler for The Old Man:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 05:24   Link #150
brocko

^
Spoiler:

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 08:06   Link #151
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Spoiler for Just in case:

Last edited by Haak; 2013-03-03 at 11:56.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 09:35   Link #152
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Might not be a bad idea to spoiler tag that under the circumstances...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 09:53   Link #153
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
^
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Spoiler for Ending:
Spoiler:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 10:06   Link #154
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

The ending has a lot hidden questions that one might not bother asking but is still there. For example what will happen to Yuki and Ame once they become adults? Are they going to have kids of their own? We know from Okami's parents that wolf-people probably live in dog years so we can't expect the kids to live too long. Is Ame going breed with another human or is he going to stay in the mountain forever? So many questions yet we will never have a sequel.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 10:37   Link #155
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for old man:
Old 2013-03-03, 17:20   Link #156
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Really enjoyed the movie, Hosoda is definitely the master. I do think the movie peaked a bit too early though, felt it reached its emotional high earlier in the movie, but nonetheless it is a joy to sit through. This may in fact be Hosoda's best yet, and I don't say that lightly.

Spoiler for Ending comment:
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 17:55   Link #157
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This was well worth the wait. This is Hosoda's best work so far, which is saying something. Beautiful movie. It blended a lot of different themes very nicely, and felt more mature than Tokikake and Summer wars.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Really enjoyed the movie, Hosoda is definitely the master. I do think the movie peaked a bit too early though, felt it reached its emotional high earlier in the movie, but nonetheless it is a joy to sit through. This may in fact be Hosoda's best yet, and I don't say that lightly.

Spoiler for Ending comment:
Spoiler:
Old 2013-03-03, 18:07   Link #158
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
We know from Okami's parents that wolf-people probably live in dog years so we can't expect the kids to live too long.
That's an interesting comment. I think the movie strongly implies otherwise. There are two scenes which were particularly poignant when juxtaposed with each other:
(1) When Hana pleaded with Ame not to go into the forest again, she suddenly realised with a shock that, though he was just 10 years old, Ame was already, in his mind, a grown-up.

(2) In the school during the typhoon, when Sohei boasted that he would get a job as a newspaper boy, Yuki chided him, saying he wasn't old enough. At the point, she clearly saw herself as a child, and couldn't wait to grow up, like most human teenagers her age.
So, based on what is shown, it appears that the Yuki and Ame's age is very much in their minds — they are only as old as they feel they are. It's also worth noting that their father was a physically mature human man of about 20 years old or thereabouts when Hana met him. In "dog years", Ame would be an ancient 70 human years old when he left home but, physically, he wasn't yet a match for his father, even though he was beginning to look increasingly like him, right down to their choice of clothes.

Ame's increasing similarity to his father is part of what, to me, made his departure so painful. It felt like the wolf-man leaving Hana again. Like some other viewers here, I was greatly affected by the manner in which Ame left (it nearly cost Hana her life, too!). It felt wrong, but I take consolation from the fact that wherever he is, he appears to be near enough to "call home" every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Spoiler:
I'll just point out that it's very significant to me that it's Yuki, not Hana, who is narrating the story. Yuki, as a narrator, knows things that she could only know if she had spoken extensively with a mother, getting Hana to tell her more about her past. For someone who now effectively lives in another town, Yuki sure knows a lot, and that's only possible if she's keeping in close touch with Hana.

So, no, I don't think Hana is all that lonely. It is very remarkable, though, that she's only 32 by the end of the movie. At that age, she's a college dropout, a widow, a single mother and a survivor. A lifetime of experiences crammed into just about 13 years. It makes her a truly admirable woman indeed.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 18:38   Link #159
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Ame's increasing similarity to his father is part of what, to me, made his departure so painful. It felt like the wolf-man leaving Hana again. Like some other viewers here, I was greatly affected by the manner in which Ame left (it nearly cost Hana her life, too!). It felt wrong, but I take consolation from the fact that wherever he is, he appears to be near enough to "call home" every now and then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler:
It's kind of as TLR said above. You could say it is the wolf-way, but Ame is human enough to realize everything his mother did for him. It just felt a bit cold hearted from him. Really loved Hana's character in this movie so that's just me feeling for her is all really . I don't hold it against Ame for leaving at the very least.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 19:13   Link #160
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Hosoda has done it again. another masterpiece.

Spoiler for movie stuff: