AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-26, 13:26   Link #761
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
One thing the US rightwing excels at is DOING what they accuse their opponents of doing, even though the opponents aren't actually doing it. They also take utter extremes of their opponents faction and paint that as the entire movement. And yes, I'm saying that is fairly unique to the right wing. Its a basic derivative of their "purity test" isolator where if you aren't utterly in lockstep, you're a "RINO".
So, yes, there are a few "gay extremists" and a few "feminazis" - which has nothing to do with what the vast majority want - equal pay for equal work and the same rights for gay couples as for straight couples. On the other hand, social conservatism cuts across a fairly wide swath of the right wing and, by its very nature, is intolerant of diversity.

Things have just gotten so outta hand with the right, and it all began with Bush Jr's first term, too. By the end of his second term, we could really see it, and then this great acceleration of it went from the last 2 months of 2008 to present day. And this "great acceleration" I speak of is really also the course the right has taken where they've gone into a steep decline (AKA gone very corrupt and batshit crazy).

Is "RINO" an acronym?
Old 2012-09-26, 13:28   Link #762
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ RINO stands for "(R)epublic (I)n (N)ame (O)nly" - basically it's a way of insulting moderate republicans that has come into use primarily by the Tea Party.
Old 2012-09-26, 13:30   Link #763
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ RINO stands for "(R)epublic (I)n (N)ame (O)nly" - basically it's a way of insulting moderate republicans that has come into use primarily by the Tea Party.

Fine, they can call people "RINOs". You know what I call them? Extremists.
Old 2012-09-26, 14:24   Link #764
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Fine, they can call people "RINOs". You know what I call them? Extremists.
That is not politically correct. In the political arena, they are under the same party banner, so you have to call them all Republicans as they have a general holistic view- *gets run over by a Humvee*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-26, 17:29   Link #765
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its very sad to talk to people I know who have unconsciously moved into the "ultra-right extremist zone" from much more *sane* positions they had in the 80s or 90s. OTOH, a lot of my conservative friends who remember those times are choosing to vote Libertarian this year in the hopes of knocking the current "batshit crazies" who have hijacked the GOP off their little saddles.
Old 2012-09-26, 17:39   Link #766
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

From what I am getting, the major objection that doesn't have to do with rights is to the welfare programs. The arguement remains the same as it was in the 1980 Republican platform, just that they seem to be even more fed up with the results of what I suppose is an extention of the Carter era programs (in style). The generational welfare system. Welfare for illegals. Welfare causing dependancy on the Government for more welfare due to the system not really being set to get people off welfare (I've encountered this with a friend who gets social security, but if he makes more than a certain amount, he loses it. There is no insentive to get off SS if he'd make less working a part-time job after all the taxes (sales tax is getting huge in California) and expenses to get to work (unless the tax breaks are suppose to make up for that if one can file a tax return and get back maybe a thousand or so dollars even if they didn't pay that much in income taxes because they are under the minimums). So he gets SS and works eBay and trades as much as possible to get enough for food and rent with some disposable income left. This is for someone without a high school education (I don't like to ask personal question, I just get what I get told over time).

The Republic or Republican leaning people I know get bent all out of shape about welfare programs because of things like that.

They are worried about social issues in the "we like things as they are now...why change it?" tune.

They seem very worried that the Democrats (or as they tend to call them, the Social Democrats) are going to start dismantling the Constitution. The 2012 Republican Platform even has a full on section about the Bill of Rights.

They believe that American should be on top and stay on top of the international pecking order. The difference of opinion between them seems to be in foreign policy. Most I talk to are of the isolationist type that want to end globalization, bring back out forces to US soil, and basically let the world solve its own regional problems without us getting involved anymore. While they might respect Israel, they see them as being able to handle the local Arabs on their own without us.

These tend to be Vietnam veterans or those of similar age or children of same. (mostly male, but some female).

That or the "Big Stick" policy variant. Leave us alone and we will be generally quiet. Get on our nerves and we send in a Task Group to ease our nerves. Blow up our people or stuff, we send in the Marines and the Army. Touch our soil with threat of invasion...your cities will be glassed. We keep the biggest sticks for those that do us harm. Otherwise, Gunboat Diplomacy.
Old 2012-09-26, 18:44   Link #767
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wow so Jon Stewart yet again said exactly what I've been thinking last night, that Obama and Romney are the fortunate beneficiaries of getting to run against candidates that make them look remarkably good by comparison. He even used my Flowers for Algernon analogy for how Romney actually looks to be getting dumber and dumber with each passing week. You can probably find the video on the Comedy Central website in the U.S. For Canadian posters it's here
Old 2012-09-26, 19:08   Link #768
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

In Ohio, Romney says his "heart aches" for jobless
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88N13D20120926
Do he really think than someone will really belive him ?

Obama mocks Romney for "newfound outrage" on China trade
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88P1LS20120926
Well, making a shitload of money by shipping US job to China kind of disqualified Romney about talk about that.
Old 2012-09-26, 19:15   Link #769
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And, Scott Brown and his staff catch fire for their nasty little antics and catcalling about Elizabeth Warren's ancestry from the Chief of the Cherokee Nation. It doesn't seem to matter whether its local, state, or national, the GOP just seems to have become the political home for small-minded, petty, bullies who pretend to be politicians.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolit...gn?ft=1&f=1001
Old 2012-09-26, 23:50   Link #770
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
For Canadian posters it's here
Can Canadians use the daily show website?

Though Jon Stewart has been skewering Romney hard for a while now, I'm actually more genuinely concerned that Obama really didn't take the opportunity to set up as many private meetings with other world leaders as possible. I guess it is a sign that Stewart is absolutely right that Obama is really the luckiest dude in the world given that I couldn't even consider his rival candidate worthy of such a scrutiny in the first place. :/

But if Romney is the second luckiest dude, then Ron Paul is probably the unluckiest. I'm not a Paulfag, but it says something that even Stewart didn't bother bringing up any stupidities on Paul's part while he "showcased" the rest of the pageantry.

Also, lol King Abdullah. "Keep the networks."
Old 2012-09-27, 00:34   Link #771
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I don't think that meeting foreign leaders at the UN is as important as you might think. Obama already has pretty active dialogue with world leaders, he, and they, might think there isn't that much to talk about.

For smaller countries with smaller diplomatic corps, the UN is much more of a networking opportunity then it is for the US.
Old 2012-09-27, 05:06   Link #772
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

And maybe he doesn't want to rile up the isolationists. They aren't going to vote for him anyway, but they might not vote for Romney, either.
Old 2012-09-27, 07:22   Link #773
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

And if he didn't saw any leader because he didn't want to meet with one than he would had been almost forced to see ?
Old 2012-09-27, 08:37   Link #774
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
And if he didn't saw any leader because he didn't want to meet with one than he would had been almost forced to see ?
Yeah. I mean, sure it is unusual. But private meetings are not part of the official event. It is entirely possible he had met these leaders already or had nothing new to discuss. Don't forget, the other leaders have things to do too. You don't want to waste their time either.
Old 2012-09-27, 08:38   Link #775
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I'll take king Abdulla's advise that "it's not that big of a deal as we are making it out to be"

That man is so calm and vanilla every time we see him on air, hard to believe he's a monarch of an Islamic state.
Old 2012-09-27, 09:28   Link #776
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
hard to believe he's a monarch of an Islamic state.
Since you don't seem to have much records in being ironical around here, I find this statement of yours a rather disturbing indication.

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-09-27 at 10:23.
Old 2012-09-27, 13:51   Link #777
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

He probably confused the Abdullah of Jordan for the Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. XP
Old 2012-09-27, 13:54   Link #778
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

lol, Samuel L. Jackson political ad. Oh geez. NSFW warning.

Old 2012-09-27, 14:08   Link #779
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Since you don't seem to have much records in being ironical around here, I find this statement of yours a rather disturbing indication.
It was a compliment.
I don't much like a "monarch" in a state with strong ties with any "religion", that's like double backwards for me.

That stereotype being said, I like the king of Jordan. He's always a great figure to look up to whenever he's on air.
Unlike... say, the monarch of Saudi, with the double-tongue of theirs.
Old 2012-09-27, 17:02   Link #780
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama leads Romney 49-42 percent in latest Reuters/Ipsos survey
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88Q1JB20120927