AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-12, 23:02   Link #81
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Actually, anything can be good if they really wrote it well. If it's an anime about the entertainment industry, then it can actually be done without being so unusually sick and bloated. Not the best example, but Fancy Lala showed that you can make an anime about the work it takes behind the scenes to turn someone into a star (granted, it was more of a magical girl anime, but still...)
To date the only anime about an industry that really looks good to me is Kaleido Star, which is about stage performance acrobatics. Most of them end up exactly like Lovedol though and seem more like tools of the industry to garner money through merchandise, than a real attempt to accurately portray them from behind the scenes. Granted Kaleido Star isn't exactly realistic, but its the closest any series has come to really trying to capture the behind the scenes feel of an entertainment industry.

Also since Idols are the pinnacle of manufactured talent in Japan, you can't really do any sort of interesting story. There's no magic or struggle to get there, nor anything really going on behind the scenes other than a contract being signed. It's like this, cute girl gets discovered--->signs on---> does some bubblegum pop songs written by someone else----> is adored for their looks---->vanishes within a few months when the next big idol comes around--->repeat. I guess you could do a critique of the emptiness of the industry, though I bet companies that create idols would sue the pants of you or at the very least not fund it at all and dangle the money over the animation studios head to get them to put a positive spin on it like they did with Lovedol (not saying that's what happened with the series but that it got one hell of a sugary sweet happy spin on it).
Old 2007-02-12, 23:12   Link #82
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Good points there, unless someone steps up the ante and does an expose style anime on the entertainment industry, or unless indie companies make an anime about it (VERY unlikely).

Oh, dreams are free...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-02-13, 00:24   Link #83
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Well, I just got in here (but know about this some time ago). The main reason I decided to have a look at this is because of the mechanical designer (Junichi Akutsu is part of BEE-CRAFT, one of the well-known mecha design groups like some of us know here. Some of his work are the 5 original SEED Gundams, before they got infected by Okawara's AIDS).

Of course, anime about cute girls and mecha seems to be a good fun formula for the otaku crowd, unless until the likes of the overly-serious mecha crowd decide to step in.

And is it a coincidence that the linearts for the mechas have the same...'shine' like those in Stargazer? Not to mention the same pose as BEE-CRAFT's recent MG linearts (I'm looking at you, Strike Noir and Strike Freedom...or all of the SEED MGs). Heck, we might see some crossovers of techs from other Sunrise animes that have involved them (like the linear launch catapults in SEED, and later as some kind of cameo in Mai-Otome).
Old 2007-02-13, 00:58   Link #84
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post

Of course, anime about cute girls and mecha seems to be a good fun formula for the otaku crowd, unless until the likes of the overly-serious mecha crowd decide to step in.
I'm already here. I'm an overly serious mecha fan (seriously ask me anything) and I give this series my blessing.

Also I'm going to have to say no to the idea of those tether ball launch ports from Gundam Seed. It's either Launch decks on the side of the ship all the way, or no go.

Man I loved the days of Gundam when you'd see the unit coming out the ship and onto the deck and then they'd be catapulted into the action.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-13 at 01:10.
Old 2007-02-13, 03:21   Link #85
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
Well, I just got in here (but know about this some time ago). The main reason I decided to have a look at this is because of the mechanical designer (Junichi Akutsu is part of BEE-CRAFT, one of the well-known mecha design groups like some of us know here. Some of his work are the 5 original SEED Gundams, before they got infected by Okawara's AIDS).

And is it a coincidence that the linearts for the mechas have the same...'shine' like those in Stargazer? Not to mention the same pose as BEE-CRAFT's recent MG linearts (I'm looking at you, Strike Noir and Strike Freedom...or all of the SEED MGs). Heck, we might see some crossovers of techs from other Sunrise animes that have involved them (like the linear launch catapults in SEED, and later as some kind of cameo in Mai-Otome).
Not to mention his most famous works: the ASTRAYS

Knowing Sunrise, they'd probably add a lot of cliches and cameos as reverence to previous mecha shows.

Shine... as in "metatron lines"? O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Also I'm going to have to say no to the idea of those tether ball launch ports from Gundam Seed. It's either Launch decks on the side of the ship all the way, or no go.

Man I loved the days of Gundam when you'd see the unit coming out the ship and onto the deck and then they'd be catapulted into the action.
The very first Gundam launched in quite the same way as the Archangel's and Minerva's launch decks (albeit without the fancy linear catapult light and sound effect), so don't see the problem.

(And ACE video fails for lack of Nu Gundam launch theme =P)

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-02-13, 03:34   Link #86
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Shine... as in "metatron lines"? O_o
Shine as colour contrast. BEE-CRAFT's designs in colour has a tendecy to use bright against low-key colours that contrast in a way that they apparently shine just like how Verde Buster's dark green and light green sunlight/shadow effect looked chromishly unnatural due to the colour usage, as opposed to Okawara's preference of low colours that's a little more realistic, but less appealing. Ever notice how Strike Noir and to a weaker extent, Stargazer (( which was designed to SHINE )) doesn't look as sparkly as other Stargazer ones like Blu Duel and Verde? (( Freedom's lineart colour was dark and pale, huge difference from the more colourful palettes EVERYWHERE else ))

Oh, and the overly-serious-mecha-fan comment made me laugh. What's overly serious anyway?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-02-13, 03:47   Link #87
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Shine as colour contrast. BEE-CRAFT's designs in colour has a tendecy to use bright against low-key colours that contrast in a way that they apparently shine just like how Verde Buster's dark green and light green sunlight/shadow effect looked chromishly unnatural due to the colour usage, as opposed to Okawara's preference of low colours that's a little more realistic, but less appealing. Ever notice how Strike Noir and to a weaker extent, Stargazer (( which was designed to SHINE )) doesn't look as sparkly as other Stargazer ones like Blu Duel and Verde? (( Freedom's lineart colour was dark and pale, huge difference from the more colourful palettes EVERYWHERE else ))

Oh, and the overly-serious-mecha-fan comment made me laugh. What's overly serious anyway?
I assumed too much on the specific mention of the Stargazer itself ^^;;;

I think it's just a matter of specific preferences: I maybe wrong, but looking at these pics:

Phantom Pain MS

The shading for all of the mechs, including Noir and the Slaughter Dagger are just as shiny as Blu Duel and Verde Buster (and the Slaughter Dagger has a non-shiny version of that same lineart sans the Aile Striker). The coloring to an extent can be modified by artists other than the original designer, so all of the MS here look shiny, despite different mechs designed by two mecha designers. So I'm not all that surprised by the shine given to the lineart for the Idols, they look better that way.

Old 2007-02-13, 09:14   Link #88
kct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I'm actually making a point to those overly purist UC Gundam crowds (aka SEED-haters and the like).
Old 2007-02-13, 09:23   Link #89
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

@LoweGear Hmm...I still think Blu and Verde style looks more shiny than Slaughter and Noir. Blu and Verde uses the tri-line shadowing with brighter appliances as opposed to Strike Noir's (( and Okawara in general )) sun/shadow shadowing effect. I'll agree it looks eiriely similar. Maybe I'm just too picky, since one of my majors currently is art.

UC purist would've ran away/ prepares giant colony lasers just from hearing the name of this show. In all honesty, if this even remotely appeals to that group of narrow-minded fans, I'll be damned. I mean, mecha has gone a long way in the history of anime.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-02-13, 10:25   Link #90
kct

True, and being one of the more diverse in terms of anime watched, I could agree no more on that.

Before this turns into a spam reply, I've mentioned in one of my posts that the linearts for Xenoglossia looks eerily similar to recent BEE-CRAFT linearts in terms of their poses like this and this.
Old 2007-02-13, 10:41   Link #91
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Some Scans
Old 2007-02-14, 03:34   Link #92
Jayjs20

Send a message via AIM to Jayjs20
Personally, I do hope they focus on the mecha is much as the second half of Kannazuki no Miko did.
Old 2007-02-14, 11:25   Link #93
Mitheor

Trailer:

Low version:

http://douga.nifty.com/cs/catalog/do...50003001_1.htm

High version:

http://douga.nifty.com/cs/catalog/do...50003001_1.htm

Youtube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ076LciObE

Last edited by Mitheor; 2007-02-14 at 11:49.
Old 2007-02-14, 15:06   Link #94
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Code Idol?/Geassm@ster?

Larger (5430x3460, 2.9 MB) version here:
http://moe.imouto.org/data/moe_imout...4806729005.jpg

Spoiler for lingerie, revealing poses, partial nudity (naughty bits covered), general work unsafeness:
Old 2007-02-14, 16:35   Link #95
Jayjs20

Maybe this is just me, but did they add giant robots to the content of the show....

Or did they replace the content with giant robots?
Old 2007-02-14, 18:43   Link #96
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjs20 View Post
Maybe this is just me, but did they add giant robots to the content of the show....

Or did they replace the content with giant robots?
Yeeeeeeeeeees! I think you might be right, the robots were clearly snuck in quite recentely, possibly....yesterday.
Old 2007-02-14, 19:43   Link #97
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Oh Good, Thanks for the Trailer^^
Old 2007-02-15, 01:27   Link #98
Jayjs20

In case anybody is curious, the first line in my previous post was used to play with people's minds. The second line is the actual question.
Old 2007-02-15, 14:41   Link #99
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

For me Sunrise is the anime studio that is like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, they can make amazing shows and they can also make absolute trash, so I am wondering what will this be. Right now, I would bet on absolute trash - it sounds ridiculous to take a the concept of an idols game and turn it into a mechha anime and the pics posted above hint at a moe level which will be way too high for my taste plus excessive fanserive. I will give it a try because of the seiyuu cast and because I still have some small hope that Sunrise will make something as good as Mai-HiME some day.

P.S. Yukana is playing a nine-year old girl (if I get the official site correctly)? That's actually reminiscent of Mai-HiME.

Old 2007-02-15, 19:04   Link #100
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Matrim, in all the trailers and scans of the Xenoglossia show posted so far, could you point me exactly where the fanservice is? I can understand that one can feel skeptic about this show but I haven't seen any hint of fanservice yet, with all the material (and it's quite a good amount of it) that's getting shown before the airing of this show.

Which is by the way is an amusing sentence, since you seem to have a Simoun avatar (which is a show that does contain a lot fanservice) anyway.

Oh well, whatever.
Closed Thread