AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-05-11, 03:48   Link #81
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ You've never seen Lord of the Rings? That's pretty interesting because Sean Bean plays a very similar character (in terms of looks) in Lord of the Rings called Boromir, and it's VERY hard for me not to think of him when I see Ned in Game of Thrones. I wonder what it's like to watch Game of Thrones first then Lord of the Rings @_@.

As for that Littlefinger scene. Without spoiling anything from the books, I'll draw from the actual interviews and Inside the Episode clips instead. According to Gilliam and the directors of that episode, (this scene is not in the books), he is actually interested in Sansa because she reminds him of Catlyn (Lady Stark, the only woman he loves and still does) when she was young. So I see this is just a scene to establish a skeleton relationship between him and Sansa and sort of introduce the characters to each other sooner than later. According to Gilliam, he sees Littlefinger as someone who thrives in chaos and loves it, so he's really not a character that you should trust, hence he's got such a sinister scene with Sansa in episode 4 which alerts us.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 16:22   Link #82
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think I enjoy every character at this point except for Sansa who comes off as simply too dumb, whiny, and bitchy for arguably having it the easiest of any of the characters, though especially of the Starks.

Let's see:

- Eddard is forced to play all of these dangerous political games with people he isn't really sure he can trust. Already we've seen him suffer in having to kill the direwolf and it's definitely a deeper wound for him than it is for Sansa

- Robb is in charge of presiding over and defending Winterfell while his father is away and has to deal with Tyrion overstaying his welcome

- Jon Snow is serving his time in the Night's Watch and has to watch his back every night now that he's made enemies by sticking up for Sam. It's only going to get harder from there

- Bran is crippled and now has to spend the rest of his life never being able to climb again, though luckily it looks like he might be able to ride. Still what a horrible fate

- Arya is currently undergoing sword training that is sure to run her ragged before long. Still she's doing it and isn't bitching even in the slightest, though that might be because she wants to.

- Lady Stark has been shuffling around exposing herself to danger while trying to pin down the person behind the attack on Bran, has had her hand sliced open, and has now made a bold move against Tyrion.

And then there's Sansa whose only role so far has been to pine after the dictator in the making, whine about how he hasn't paid much attention to her, bitch at Arya despite Arya being far more cunning and knowledgeable about important matters, bitch about her father despite it being just as painful a situation for him, bitch about the governess who is basically holding her hand towards her future and really no more or less tough on her than any governess should be expected to be.

Of course she still might warrant some sympathy if she were being forced into marrying Joffrey against her will, but the fact is she WANTS to marry the little bastard and he's the one that isn't interested in her so much as gaining power.

Frankly I'm kind of hoping that she's one of the first characters to get offed cause she's frankly too dumb, whiny and bitchy to survive what seems to be coming.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 17:37   Link #83
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Sama
there's Sansa whose only role so far has been to pine after the dictator in the making, whine about how he hasn't paid much attention to her, bitch at Arya despite Arya being far more cunning and knowledgeable about important matters, bitch about her father despite it being just as painful a situation for him, bitch about the governess who is basically holding her hand towards her future and really no more or less tough on her than any governess should be expected to be.
You just described how about 90% of beautiful girls from a well-to-do family in that time period would act...Sansa's entire upbringing is from the perspective of a girl to be someone's queen one day...If she acted much different, if her siblings forced her to move forward via force she'd be Kelise...She's acting much like I expected...A spoiled girl groomed to be royalty...Even in not giving up the Prince in front of his father she showed signs of understanding this caste system...But yeah she's a spoiled little b1tch, much like the current queen...
Old 2011-05-11, 18:26   Link #84
Tom Bombadil

Sansa and Arya are designed to contrast each other: Sansa is tame, while Arya is wild. Remember the name of wolves? Sansa's is called "lady", while Arya's is called Namaira. I don't remember the source of that name, but Namaria sounds like the name of a swamp witch. I also wonder if the death of Lady made Sansa less of a Stark.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 23:47   Link #85
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I don't see a problem with Sansa. She's just a girl who thinks she's in a fairytale story where she's the princess and Joffrey is her Prince Charming. Unfortunately, she is very Wrong Genre Savvy once she realize she isn't living in a fairytale but a harsh reality where Joffrey's a prick, his mother is a bitch, nobody is black or white but gray, politics is dirty and people can be brutal and violent.

By the 4th episode, she realizes what kind a world she is getting into and how unforgiving it is.

And now for something to brighten the mood.

Here are the Japanese covers of the Song of Ice and Fire Novels which Game of Throne is based on. And they're very pretty.

link
Old 2011-05-12, 03:59   Link #86
Blaat

I haven't commented yet but I've been watching since the first episode. And I have to say this is quite possibly the best American TV series since The Wire, admittedly it's hard to compare the two as they're completely different but they were both top quality series. The thing is, it took me a while to like the Wire this series made me a fan just by the first episode.

I also love the opening the combination of the armillary sphere and a 'model' look makes it visually very interesting.
Old 2011-05-16, 10:50   Link #87
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for Ep5 The Wolf and the Lion:
Old 2011-05-16, 12:43   Link #88
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for Ep5 The Wolf and the Lion:
Did they actually reveal that completely? Because it was never actually stated in the books but merely hinted at. I didn't even catch it when I read the books. I just heard it over the internet one time and thought "Well shit...that makes a LOT more sense..." XD
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 14:33   Link #89
Irkalla
I asked for this

It was pretty clear to me in the books, and HBO handled it marvelously.
Old 2011-05-16, 17:34   Link #90
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Why did lady Stark would take him to her sister. Let’s say she was not a demented bitch (how the hell are they even sisters is beyond me), what good does it do to take him there?

Anyway, very good episode. Stark, the Imp and the tomboy are still my favorite characters. Such a large cast of enjoyable characters. I hope we get some more of Snow next episode.
Old 2011-05-16, 19:19   Link #91
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Why did lady Stark would take him to her sister. Let’s say she was not a demented bitch (how the hell are they even sisters is beyond me), what good does it do to take him there?
I think she just need to go to somewhere safe, and as she couldn't go home so she went to her sister's.
Old 2011-05-16, 19:25   Link #92
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Sansa and Arya are designed to contrast each other: Sansa is tame, while Arya is wild. Remember the name of wolves? Sansa's is called "lady", while Arya's is called Namaira. I don't remember the source of that name, but Namaria sounds like the name of a swamp witch. I also wonder if the death of Lady made Sansa less of a Stark.
Nymeria, warrior queen of the Rhoyne. It's claimed by some that she knew witchcraft as well. The governess was quite scandalized by Arya's choice of name. (Careful about the link, no spoilers on that page, but I can't guarantee the rest of the site is safe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Anyway, very good episode. Stark, the Imp and the tomboy are still my favorite characters. Such a large cast of enjoyable characters. I hope we get some more of Snow next episode.
I think Lady Stark was thinking:

1: Everyone thinks I'm taking him to Winterfell, I should take him somewhere other then expected

2: The Eyrie is an isolated and extremely strong castle, it would be very very hard for the Lannisters to fight their way there. A good place to keep your highborn and valuable hostages.

3: My sister has knowledge of the Lannister plots, and the murder of the last Hand, Jon Arryn. I should talk to her and compare notes so we discover the enemy plans.

4: My sister is the regent over the Vale of Arryn and thus has a large amount of resources. There are 7 kingdoms:

The North ruled by the Starks.

The Vale ruled by the Arryns (Catelyn's sister).

The Riverlands ruled by the Tullys (Catelyn's maiden name, her father is the ruling Lord, as we learned in episode 4).

The Rock ruled by the Lannisters. (Apparently has lots of goldmines).

The Stormlands ruled by the Barrathons (currently held by Renly in place of Robert who is High King, apparently there is also another brother Stannis running around who has the personality of a lobster).

Highgarden aka The Reach ruled by the Tyrells (The father of the Knight of Flowers boy- who we learned this episode is rich, but not as rich as the Lannisters).

Apparently the 7th kingdom is Dorne ruled by the Martels, as was briefly mentioned this episode (during the Bran scene).

Spoiler for Spolier for Dorne backstory based on info from HBOs site:

Naturally if this conflict between Stark and Lannister comes to war the Starks will want allies. The ties of blood make the Riverlands and the Vale the most likely allies.

I don't think Catelyn knew how crazy sister was. She had this "Oh Sh--" look on her face that whole scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Its good to see Sean Bean in such fantasy adventure movies so loved him in LOR 1 . And Harry Loyd seriously reminds of Harry Potter . Hope he has nothing to do with horses in this series .

This made me laugh since Loyd is off with the Horse people (and not enjoying it too much).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 21:01   Link #93
Xagzan

Love this series.

That is all.

I'll pick up the books someday, but I think I'm content to learn what happens through the show.

Oh, and am I wrong, or was Little Finger's actor the bad guy in Shanghai Knights?
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 22:48   Link #94
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

If anyone wants to know more of the world of Game of Thrones without being spoiled of the story then go to http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/...f_Thrones_Wiki .The site is dedicated to the TV series only, and it only has few notes from the books as references.

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2011-05-16 at 23:01.
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 23:39   Link #95
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Boy if the politics in our world are anything close to the lies, backstabbings, and deceit of this fantasy world, $hit...We should just give up now...This is no place for the noble Lord Stark or apparently the effin' head of a horse! (WTMF?!!)

Game of Thrones is one of the most masterful shows I've watched in some time...It isn't really the weight of the plot, or the chess pieces that are littered upon the mechanized kingdoms found in the credits, obviously the characters, but even more than that, it's the realism of fantasy...I have to slap my face every few minutes to remind myself that this $hit isn't real...The authenticity of this world is just so outstanding...I thought HBO's 'Rome' was killing it, but $hit if I don't look outside my bedroom window for Dragons to resurface...

I thought there were several great performances in this episode (Sean Bean, Aiden Gilliam no doubt, the ballhead Lord) but I think one of the more understated performances (beneath the endless scheming taking place) was the KING...So far he's played his misguided oaf role pretty well, but what I saw this episode was a jaded man, but man of consequence...Clearly he understands the politics of this world morso than Ned Stark, his spider of a wife, and those conspiring just under his breath...His "5 vs. 1" diatribe was pretty revealing and showed that underneath his womanizing alcoholism is someone who actually understands the price of this budding war..I also find his shouting spells to be quite entertaining^^...But he showed me much more character this episode, peppered with cold-emotion...The lost of his true love being the bitter hole he fills with the cynicism of his caricature...

So now pretty boy action-figure (A.K.A Jaime Lanaster) knows that Stark has his brother and the fight ensues...How a man could frame his own brother with one hand, fingerbang his sister with the other, and use the entire farce as an opportunity to kill Ned Stark...I can only wait patiently for the cold dish that awaits that sadistic sonuvab!tch someday(I don't care that he looks like Battle-Damaged He-man^^)...Please though, let's not serve it with breast milk as that's a meal more suited for a 10 year kid courtesy of his bat$hit for brains mother ...

Can't wait to see the fallout from Ned's fight...And what of my favorite character the Imp...Imp!!! Don't be Dragon giblets!!!
Old 2011-05-16, 23:41   Link #96
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think this was the week I went from liking this series to loving it. What a fantastic episode - from the shocking (the horse beheading, the breastfeeding - and he was way more than 5 years old - the shaving) to the sublime (the conversations between Robert and Cersei, and Littfinger and Spider). All golden.

Ned really needs to get out of that place. He's just not cut out for it.

And what a performance this week by Mark Addy as Robert. He really jumped out of the pack and just owned every scene he was in.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 05:53   Link #97
Kallen4life

Quote:
I think this was the week I went from liking this series to loving it
+1, absolutely

my fav episode so far

one question though, a few of my friends who have read the books all said that they don't remember the, uhm, 'gay-scene' with the knight of roses and kings brother .. or maybe they meant the very end of that scene, after the shaving and the talk ^^ .. was all that in the book ?

loved the conversation between King Robert and the Queen

the imp is still my fav character though, the little guy steals every scene
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 06:47   Link #98
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Na there was no actual gay scene in the books. Each chapter of the books is done through a certain characters POV. Neither Renly or Ser Loras are POV chars in the books. It was always sort of inferred throughout the books that they were very "close".

It's not like that scene didn't server a purpose though. It shows that Renly has "some" thoughts towards the throne and that there is another "rich" family out there besides the Lannisters with a penchant for political scheming.
Old 2011-05-17, 09:39   Link #99
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I thought there were several great performances in this episode (Sean Bean, Aiden Gilliam no doubt, the ballhead Lord) but I think one of the more understated performances (beneath the endless scheming taking place) was the KING...So far he's played his misguided oaf role pretty well, but what I saw this episode was a jaded man, but man of consequence...Clearly he understands the politics of this world morso than Ned Stark, his spider of a wife, and those conspiring just under his breath...His "5 vs. 1" diatribe was pretty revealing and showed that underneath his womanizing alcoholism is someone who actually understands the price of this budding war..I also find his shouting spells to be quite entertaining^^...But he showed me much more character this episode, peppered with cold-emotion...The lost of his true love being the bitter hole he fills with the cynicism of his caricature...
The scene between Robert and Cersei, which apparently is not in the book, was definitely one of the highlights of the episode. The way you have these two worn-out rulers, who have been married 17 long years, and hated each other for almost that long, having a private conversation together and revealing how they've come to accept this hate as so natural that they can even share a laugh about it, or talk about a past love and not even be at each other's throats. It was a masterful scene, and I know when I read the book, I might be a little bummed not seeing it.

Side note, I crack up most at Robert's scenes. Like when Lancel is trying to get his armor on, but it's too small for him, so what was it Robert just blurted out? "Your mother was a whore with a fat ass" or something like that. I thought, yeah that's a pretty reasonable response Ahhh that killed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
So now pretty boy action-figure (A.K.A Jaime Lanaster) knows that Stark has his brother and the fight ensues...How a man could frame his own brother with one hand, fingerbang his sister with the other, and use the entire farce as an opportunity to kill Ned Stark...I can only wait patiently for the cold dish that awaits that sadistic sonuvab!tch someday(I don't care that he looks like Battle-Damaged He-man^^)...Please though, let's not serve it with breast milk as that's a meal more suited for a 10 year kid courtesy of his bat$hit for brains mother ...
What makes Jamie look worse is that he's attacking Ned for imprisoning Tyrion for a crime Jamie himself committed. The ego.

And as for the gay scene, it wasn't in the books I hear but apparently the HBO guys talked with GRRM beforehand and he confirmed those two jousted for the other team.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 10:40   Link #100
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
What makes Jamie look worse is that he's attacking Ned for imprisoning Tyrion for a crime Jamie himself committed. The ego.
We can’t be sure if it was truly Jamie who hired the assassin. It might have been the queen.

Tags
game of thrones, hbo