AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-11-03, 17:00   Link #541
GDB

Which is basically what I meant by "going Steins;Gate".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 17:50   Link #542
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

...what.

Seriously, there are no words for that. Just...what?!
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 17:52   Link #543
GDB

Agreed.

But yeah, seriously didn't like that finale, but I guess it overall fits the tone of the season. Had promise but fell short and was otherwise disappointing. And now I'm getting a bad feeling that they're just going to "make nice" with the Christmas special so as to give everyone a happy ending.

*edit*

Decided to rank the seasons so far based on my personal opinion of what gave a combination of the most enjoyment and the most good episodes (a good episode being defined by whether I'd watch it again outside of a marathon).

Series 5
Series 6
Series 2
Series 7 & 3
Series 1 & 4
Series 8

Series 7 and 3 are almost equal, if not dead equal. I placed 7 slightly higher solely due to having less episodes that I didn't like, while they had equal numbers of episodes I liked. Series 1 had more episodes I liked than I thought it did, and I actually rank it about even with Series 4. Looking back on Series 8 though, it had about half as many episodes I liked than even Series 1 and 4, which I had thought had been weak previously.

Last edited by GDB; 2014-11-09 at 11:47.
Old 2014-11-10, 01:16   Link #544
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't know. There was something about this finale. Echos of the long past. And a Doctor finding himself. Next he'll need to find Gallifrey. (He didn't look out of phase with the universe...I seem to recall Davros hiding Earth by putting it a second out of phase).

And likely find out what happened to Missy. I mean there are two things there. One: The Master always has an escape plan...some of them involve looking like he died. Second: Well...Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart. It just won't be a proper Invasion without him.

Now a month and a half wait to see what's up, and then we start to see what's up for Series 9. At this point, the only thing we know is that Peter Capaldi will remain the Doctor. They did interrupt the end credits this time, which seemed like something they nearly did during Tennant's run before a Christman special.

On a side note: I thought it was funny and clever to follow Clara's declaration that she was the Doctor in the opening with a custom title sequence with her name first, then Calpaldi's, followed with a close up of Coleman's eyes. I had to go back to see if I hadn't imagined it.
Old 2014-12-25, 18:57   Link #545
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Christmas Special...back on form. That is all (although I have to admit the premise would be shot down in ANY other kind of TV show or book).
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 21:06   Link #546
GDB

Agreed, definitely back to form.

Spoiler:
Old 2015-01-18, 19:33   Link #547
AnimeFan188

What Your Favorite Doctor Who Companion Says About You:

"Whovians love to argue over who are the best and worst companions, and for
good reason. These are the audience's proxies. The Doctor is semi-immortal, more
ingenious than any human, and filled with all the compassion and fury that comes
from owning two hearts. We are not The Doctor. But we can relate to the humans
he chooses as his friends and teammates in the fight against evil. That's why who
you like most reveals more than your feelings on characterization and dramatic
structure; it speaks to your own identity."

See:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/what-you...ays-about-you/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 00:10   Link #548
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Must. Resist. Temptation. To Buy.
Old 2015-07-09, 00:20   Link #549
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

All. The. Doctors.

Also The Doctor with Doc Brown.
Old 2015-07-10, 04:18   Link #550
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Season 9 Trailer!

Old 2015-07-10, 05:30   Link #551
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It makes me curious who the woman at the end is (in story). The trailer make it seem like the Doctor knows her and she knows him...and that we should know as well, but don't because she has a different face. I hope it is that rather than just to show off the casting of the actress.

Someone who can change their face I Doctor Who that both the Doctor and we should know...that would warrant such a placement in the trailer? Time Lord (probably). Probably not another incarnation of the Master. Probably not River Song. Tasha Lem probably wasn't a Time Lord, nor River.

So...that leaves basically three people who would and could call him old man: Jenny (his cloned "daughter" from the Tenth Doctor's time), Susan his actual granddaughter who he left behind on Earth as the First Doctor. Or Romana, a Time Lady companion of his that stayed behind in another dimension near the end of the Fourth Doctor's era (but has been active in audio at least to the Time War as President of Gallifrey and the knew the Eighth Doctor).

I am hoping for Romana, now that I think of it. That would go with K9 showing up again.
Old 2015-07-10, 10:45   Link #552
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've seen every episode of Dr. Who since the beginning (those that weren't lost, anyway) and I've never felt the show was more desperately in need of a companion change.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 12:55   Link #553
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Btwn that and the Sherlock teaser I thought for sure the BBC was trying to kill its fans
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 17:21   Link #554
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've seen every episode of Dr. Who since the beginning (those that weren't lost, anyway) and I've never felt the show was more desperately in need of a companion change.
Seriously, I'm sick of Clara. I'm fine with Jenna, but so tired of Clara. She ruined 80% of season 8.
Old 2015-07-13, 00:45   Link #555
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-07-14, 10:24   Link #556
james0246

Quote:
Even as a Clara-apologist, I still felt she should have died at the end of the Christmas episode (and not just because it would have been a great ending for the episode and a good ending for her character).

Hopefully the writers will find a way to retool her a bit (lot) more for the upcoming season.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-15, 06:05   Link #557
GDB

The saddest part about season 8? The only episode that matters is the first one. MAYBE the final two, depending on how they have the Master interact with the Doctor in the season 9 premiere. But literally every other episode has no lost impact if you skipped it when going from season 7 to 9.
Old 2015-07-15, 07:38   Link #558
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The saddest part about season 8? The only episode that matters is the first one. MAYBE the final two, depending on how they have the Master interact with the Doctor in the season 9 premiere. But literally every other episode has no lost impact if you skipped it when going from season 7 to 9.
Not really going to argue the how important each episode is to the thematic storyline of the Doctor for the season (there is a very obvious thematic bent to the Doctor's storyline that follows in pretty much every episode of the season, which is actually a bit of a rarity for the series and, to be honest, a bit of a distraction from several of the episodes), just going to say that "Listen", "Kill the Moon" and "Mummy on the Orient Express" are all pitch perfect (and wonderfully bonkers) modern Who (the finale and "Last Christmas are also on the list of greats from this season). Hell, they even favorably stand besides the classics. And then episodes like "Flatline", "The Caretaker" and "Time Heist" were all lots of fun.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-15, 10:38   Link #559
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
The actress playing her is great, it's the writing which is weak, because it wastes her screen time with the Danny Pink plot. When the story focuses on just the Doctor and Clara, like Time Heist, she's way better.
Old 2015-07-15, 11:46   Link #560
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The actress playing her is great, it's the writing which is weak, because it wastes her screen time with the Danny Pink plot. When the story focuses on just the Doctor and Clara, like Time Heist, she's way better.
As long as you don't mind the assistant being the main character and making every major decision.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction