AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2005-12-31, 20:39   Link #161
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
Just bout every H.264 hardware player wich supports high profile video will be able to play our encodes :P (and is Mpeg-4 compliant)
Many of them may support MKV too, you don't know. Also, you can't say for sure that they will support data discs, besides HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (Are blu-ray drives even compatible with CDs/DVDs? I've read otherwise long ago, but that might have changed by now). At this point, it's all just speculation.

Quote:
Also, owners of ATI Radeon X1000+ series will be able to decode it fine (but thats not container specific i think... not sure)
It's not container specific.
And ATI has history of broken hardware video acceleration (see WMV9 and its LSD trip artifacts), but hopefully they'll get it right this time.

Last edited by ArchMageZeratuL; 2005-12-31 at 21:26.
ArchMageZeratuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 21:02   Link #162
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Just bout every H.264 hardware player wich supports high profile video will be able to play our encodes :P (and is Mpeg-4 compliant)
In other words, no such thing right now. You're rather just celebrating announcements of the industry. Yay. I hope the standalones will be more reliable than those who promise avi playback nowadays (where 50% of the encodes fail).

Will the standalones more likely be able to play mp4 hardsubs rather than mkv vfr softsubs? Yes. More likely enough to seriously limit your choice of container like this? I dunno. Those standalones which will eventually be able to play everything reliable will most likely support open-sourced matroska aswell.

Quote:
Also, owners of ATI Radeon X1000+ series will be able to decode it fine (but thats not container specific i think... not sure)
Again you're celebrating announcementware. If it does apply, it will be for both MP4 and mkv simultaneously. But so far, hardware acceleration was always a "find and disable" issue if you wanted reliable playback. So I remain sceptical here too.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 21:02   Link #163
deathbygirl

I've got to raise a flag on this "evil" extension argument, 'cause I'm pretty convinced that is moot (like DryFire and Mentar before me). So what if these so-called "evil" individuals use .mkv and it's known as such? I'm pretty sure that not many people argue that same point with .mp3's, but I do know that there are a lot of more malicious acts done with that format than with .mkv from what I've seen. Yet .mp3 still stands as one of the most popular formats around, and not many people have qualms about it representing an underlying "evil".

In terms of familarity, I think recent actions by fansubbing groups have made .mkv more familiar than .mp4 for the time being. Such groups are helping others become more familiar with the .mkv extension (and more importantly, how to play them properly) and are making a stronger argument (and exposing the community to it) than those who have decided upon the latter. Perhaps groups who support .mp4 might make a strong case in the near future, but I think .mkv has already gotten a significant push and will make it difficult for .mp4 to gain further recognition.

As for priorities, I don't think there's less emphasis on any aspect of the entire process for fansubbing groups. Each element is crucial for a quality release. I don't think any group aims to release a bad quality encode of an episode; rather, they aim to achieve the best quality in all aspects. When I have a release in mind, I don't aim to compromise any aspect with the mindset of "Oh, the other aspects will redeem it" in mind. Like Mentar says, compromising one aspect (even if it's considered the "least" important) for another doesn't suggest that the said aspect makes up for it. And I also disagree on the "very few skills" needed to encode (you may have an argument for typesetting, since all it really comes down to is manipulating a list of pre-defined commands into displaying what you want; then again, programming in general can be simplified in the same way, save creating another entire language) because I've learned a couple tidbits about the encoding process, and it's not such an easy road. The choices and implimentations of filters alone are enough to intimidate someone out of the work, and I don't think many people are able to work with the tools available to them and create successful encodes without experience and dedication.
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 22:09   Link #164
movax
Hosar Sub-God

Send a message via ICQ to movax Send a message via AIM to movax Send a message via MSN to movax Send a message via Yahoo to movax
Just want to mention that using something other than AVI does not kill download amounts. My AVC encode of FF7:AC and LO for Shinsen still got more than 10k torrent downloads, and we had even more for the AVI version. There's no technical reason not to use MKV, other than these laughable ethics. Decoding AVI requires: AVI splitter, Video Decoder, Audio Decoder. MKV requires: MKV splitter, video decoder, audio decoder. Haali's MKV splitter handles AVI superbly compared to stock MS AVI splitter. Conclusion? "Playback of MKV is difficult" arguement is null and dead.
movax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 00:07   Link #165
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by movax
"Playback of MKV is difficult" arguement is null and dead.
Thanks for repeating my point.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 00:35   Link #166
movax
Hosar Sub-God

Send a message via ICQ to movax Send a message via AIM to movax Send a message via MSN to movax Send a message via Yahoo to movax
/me salutes
Now just get more people to agree. =/
Old 2006-01-01, 02:31   Link #167
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
Alot of this has been repeated, many times, but it seems some people need the repitition.

As far as getting people to agree... they could be forced.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 03:13   Link #168
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Hai, sou desune!
/me whips out a chalkboard
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
MKV is simple MKV is simple MKV is simple MKV is simple
MKV is simple MKV is simple MKV is simple MKV is simple....

sorry. (mods, delete at will)
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 12:42   Link #169
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Please keep the discussion on-topic, otherwise posts will continue to be deleted.

Please read our forum rules, if anyone else posts a retort image, they are going to be banned.

Last edited by xris; 2006-01-01 at 13:14.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 19:52   Link #170
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

I did some H.264 playback performance testing with various players. Here are my results:

General

Candidates
I used the following playback solutions for this test (alphabetical order):
Spoiler for Unreliable results because of windows process accounting:

For more accurate results, follow the link in jfs' post to this comparison.

Last edited by Jekyll; 2006-01-02 at 10:21.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 20:15   Link #171
IMSabbel

arg
Come on, please stop that nonsense.
Do you SERIOUSLY believe a pentium M can decode ASP with ZERO PERCENT mean cpu load?
Or that mplayer has 12(!) times lesser mean load for h264 than ffdshow for h264, even though it uses the same source... (plus the fact that 3-4% mean load on a 1.6Ghz P-M would mean fluid h264 playback on a pentium 60...)
Hint: theres an occams razor here, and its big as a barn...
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 20:26   Link #172
movax
Hosar Sub-God

Jekyll, to put it nicely: your graphs are nothing but eye candy. Task Manager is NOT an accurate measure of CPU usage!
Old 2006-01-01, 20:29   Link #173
jfs
Aegisub dev

I think the conclusion from those tests will be "Windows NT process accounting can not be trusted."
Am I right?

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 20:31   Link #174
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSabbel
Come on, please stop that nonsense.
Do you by any chance know of a better measurement method? I'd really like to hear it, as my goal is not to convince anybody that one solution is faster than another, but to do a correct benchmark.

Quote:
Do you SERIOUSLY believe a pentium M can decode ASP with ZERO PERCENT mean cpu load?
Zero seems a bit low, but please note that whatever zeroed the measurement values did effect three of the tested players.

Quote:
Or that mplayer has 12(!) times lesser mean load for h264 than ffdshow for h264, even though it uses the same source...
Please note that I did note that most certainly something is fishy there.
Old 2006-01-01, 20:35   Link #175
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

The way to test this is with low end hardware, not task manager. Get someone with a 800Mhz (or around that) CPU, and get them to do a test with all the avaliable options with a h264 fansub (or multiple fansubs, not like there's a shortage).
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 20:42   Link #176
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay
The way to test this is with low end hardware, not task manager. Get someone with a 800Mhz (or around that) CPU, and get them to do a test with all the avaliable options with a h264 fansub (or multiple fansubs, not like there's a shortage).
This seems reasonable. I will try it later.
Old 2006-01-01, 20:45   Link #177
jfs
Aegisub dev

Ideally, find some way to get each player to render the video to a null output, so it'll decode as fast as possible, just throwing the results away. The resulting frames decoded per second will then be a measure for speed.
bond on doom9 already did that though, so it might be a bit moot.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 20:46   Link #178
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...4&postcount=83
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 22:41   Link #179
Draneor
Aesop's Fox

Quote:
I have a 733. I already ran a few tests, which Lyth just linked to. As far as I know, the only players that will play h264 on my system are the latest VLC and the latest mplayer. If you'd like, I can test it on a slower system.
Draneor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 07:51   Link #180
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Can you do that test again with the same software as Jekyll? i.e. latest CCCP, latest VLC, latest build of mplayer? Same hardware would be great.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote