AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-11-24, 21:11   Link #121
Dr. Casey

Why isn't Baka Test Season 2 on any of these Winter charts?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 22:21   Link #122
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Why isn't Baka Test Season 2 on any of these Winter charts?
These winter 2011 shows are set to begin airing January. I do not even see an air date set for Baka to Test 2; it just states 2011. So, they could begin airing during the spring, summer, or even fall 2011 seasons. It looks like, however, that an OVA will come out first before the 2nd season, sometime in February-March.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 00:41   Link #123
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
^ because it is.
I have to say, even in my worst experiences with Internet folk I expected a better follow-up than that. At least give some effort to have a position or perspective when somebody asks you for further detail man....otherwise why bother responding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Hourou Musuko is totally different though. I'll recommend it you.
Based on your recommendation I read up a little bit more on the show and wow....a seinen series that attempts to deal with actual themes and issues including gender identity and puberty?! Sign me up please.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-11-25 at 00:52.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 00:54   Link #124
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
These winter 2011 shows are set to begin airing January. I do not even see an air date set for Baka to Test 2; it just states 2011. So, they could begin airing during the spring, summer, or even fall 2011 seasons. It looks like, however, that an OVA will come out first before the 2nd season, sometime in February-March.
Bakatest 2 will premiere this April, according to me.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 01:07   Link #125
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
While I am somewhat partial to the "quality over quantity" approach - I often find it's the top few shows that make a particular season memorable for me, rather than the season as a whole - I definitely prefer the TV format to OVAs. I like to consume my media at a steady, consistent rate, and TV series are one of the few formats well suited to this.

That said, I'm not exactly happy with the number of anime these days that utterly fail to provide a complete story. I don't mind this in 4Koma adaptations where the journey is the point, but adaptations of "ongoing" light novels seem to be really bad about this. Not only do many lack a good ending (because the source material is incomplete), but many seem to pad the series with fluff rather than actually advancing a story. And of course, previews do very little to help me separate the series with these faults from those that don't have them - that usually only becomes apparent a few episodes in.
Good points. I have to say that I really do miss 24-to-26 episode length animes. They seem to be a dying breed.

While a high quality OVA (like Gundam Unicorn or the recent Shana OVAs) can be a lot of fun and visually impressive, they just don't get the same sort of emotional investment from me that a TV series does. With a TV series, you sometimes get a chance to get attached to a character, and drama increases and builds up as the momentum of the TV series (and its overarching plot, in some cases) pushes on ahead.

With a high quality OVA you get an entertaining and impressive piece of anime, but it's either just a nice one-shot treat, or you're left waiting so long for the follow-up OVA that momentum really feels like it's lost once the next OVA arrives. That's my experience, anyway.

Anyway, few of the premises of these Wither 2011 animes really grab me.

Infinite Stratos' premise sounds interesting, but it's one of those types of shows that I find can either be Kampfer-esque or Nanoha-esque. If it takes itself pretty seriously it could be a great action-packed suspenseful anime, but it could also just be a visually appealing fanservice-driven show. Which is fine (I largely enjoyed Kampfer), but that doesn't appeal to me quite as much as something a bit more suspenseful like Nanoha's animes are.

Rio Ranbow Gate looks very nice, but what an anime can make out of a slot machine promotional character remains to be seen.

Gosick sounds somewhat promising.
Old 2010-11-25, 03:00   Link #126
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

There a lot of 12-13-episodes TV anime aired this year because of...Anime industry crisis !
Old 2010-11-25, 03:10   Link #127
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Good points. I have to say that I really do miss 24-to-26 episode length animes. They seem to be a dying breed.
"Dying breed"? Several (at least four) of this season's productions are continuing into the next.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 11:14   Link #128
Dr. Casey

Quote:

While a high quality OVA (like Gundam Unicorn or the recent Shana OVAs) can be a lot of fun and visually impressive, they just don't get the same sort of emotional investment from me that a TV series does. With a TV series, you sometimes get a chance to get attached to a character, and drama increases and builds up as the momentum of the TV series (and its overarching plot, in some cases) pushes on ahead.

With a high quality OVA you get an entertaining and impressive piece of anime, but it's either just a nice one-shot treat, or you're left waiting so long for the follow-up OVA that momentum really feels like it's lost once the next OVA arrives. That's my experience, anyway.
I completely agree with this and think that those who would rather have OVAs instead of a normal anime series for any given manga are terrible people.

And series of that length are definitely becoming less common, Kaisos. I just looked through a list of anime from 2002, and the majority of the series from that year - I didn't keep track, but maybe somewhere around 60-70 percent - were at least 24 episodes. There were also a good number of shows with episode count in the 30s, 40s, or 50s as well.
Old 2010-11-25, 12:05   Link #129
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
"Dying breed"? Several (at least four) of this season's productions are continuing into the next.
Well, "dying breed" might have been an overly dramatic choice of words on my part, I'll admit. More like "less common".

Quote:
I completely agree with this and think that those who would rather have OVAs instead of a normal anime series for any given manga are terrible people.

And series of that length are definitely becoming less common, Kaisos. I just looked through a list of anime from 2002, and the majority of the series from that year - I didn't keep track, but maybe somewhere around 60-70 percent - were at least 24 episodes. There were also a good number of shows with episode count in the 30s, 40s, or 50s as well.
True. A couple of my favorite animes are pretty short, I'll admit, but most are of the over 20 episode variety (Shakugan no Shana, TTGL, Code Geass' 1st season, both of Higurashi's seasons, Mai HiME, S-Cry-ed, Nanoha StrikerS, etc..., etc...).

I've just always liked good, long stories. It doesn't have to be epic, necessarily, just something that lasts longer than a short season or even less.
Old 2010-11-25, 16:10   Link #130
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Anyway, few of the premises of these Wither 2011 animes really grab me.
I find quite the opposite and that it's the TV series that have been largely forgettable over the past year while the OVA's I've watched have been what are engaging, well written and always leave me wanting more and willing to wait for it despite their overall length. If there were more TV series out there that actually appealed to me like the OVA's that are come out now tend to I would be more inclined to find something to agree with in your post, but it's kind of a graveyard for people who aren't necessarily into visual novels/light novels/fluff.

That said I'm all for the revival of 26-50 episode series since that would at least give writer's more room to whip up a decent overall story. The problem with TV anime right now is that there's rarely enough time to do anything of note with 13 episodes and rarely is this even attempted. Plus the way the 13 episode series are set up they are just as guilty as OVA's if not moreso for making people wait a long time (sometimes up to a year) for more. They also have a tendency to cut off with a capped ending after the 13 episodes are up and leave you hanging for an indefinite period of time for more material at which point there's little guarantee of it being of the same quality or that it will be anywhere near as engaging. The second Shana season stands out as my favourite example of a show that just completely lost me where the first season had me engaged.

Also I find Gundam Unicorn plenty emotionally engaging...but then again I've seen all the prequels to have the requisite knowledge of the franchise to be intrigued by what is going on and with the characters. I'm already attached to more than a few of the characters there since I was given the chance to find out what they were all about and ways in which to relate to them via the dialogue. I'll also point to the second episode as an example of an OVA where no momentum was lost between episodes despite the distance of 8 months between them because of the manner in which it cut off and resumed right at the climax of an important combat sequence.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-11-25 at 16:28.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 16:30   Link #131
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
One-cour series are considerably cheaper to make, and more importantly, maintain. Two-cour series often suffer from budget cuts around the middle of the second cour.

Honestly, one-cour productions are generally only a problem if they're an adaptation, in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The second Shana season stands out as my favourite example of a show that just completely lost me where the first season had me engaged.
That would be because the second season was bad.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 17:48   Link #132
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Actually, a lot of series are actually split-2-cour series, not one-cour. A lot of SHAFT shows + some others are like that.

Quote:
I have to say, even in my worst experiences with Internet folk I expected a better follow-up than that. At least give some effort to have a position or perspective when somebody asks you for further detail man....otherwise why bother responding...
Effort = bother
5 words response = no effort
No effort = not bother

Since my basis of reasoning was mere statistics, It isn't necessary to state any more. Blah (Bakemonogatari = Falling tsundere from the sky, TTGL = Falling Mecha + Inoue Marina)

Last edited by applejuice; 2010-12-08 at 22:37.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-30, 16:56   Link #133
moncikoma

Hmmmm never thought supernatural get an ova hehe very funny...

Rio... I have seen this chick's somewhere...
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 13:24   Link #134
Fuyuhotaru

XD Supernatural the animation
Beelzebub and
Kara no Kyoukai Epilogue is what i wanna watch
the others i'll wait and see
Old 2010-12-05, 23:52   Link #135
ion475
にこにこにー

Sigh...all good season has to come to an end (Fall 2010), huh...

I may check out the (seemingly) anticipated series on this thread (Gosick, Beelzebub, etc.), may catch Kimi ni Todoke when I feel like start watching the 1st season. Same with Mitsudomoe.

Only thing I'll definitely watch? Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne (Sigh...and I thought Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai is a long name...). I mean, why not? Ecchi/Moe blob of the season XD.

At least there's Index II to fill up my time until April...(Baka to Test II, TWGOK II, Denpa Onna (Not sure about time...) to name a few).
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 01:21   Link #136
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Sigh...all good season has to come to an end (Fall 2010), huh...

I may check out the (seemingly) anticipated series on this thread (Gosick, Beelzebub, etc.), may catch Kimi ni Todoke when I feel like start watching the 1st season. Same with Mitsudomoe.

Only thing I'll definitely watch? Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne (Sigh...and I thought Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai is a long name...). I mean, why not? Ecchi/Moe blob of the season XD.

At least there's Index II to fill up my time until April...(Baka to Test II, TWGOK II, Denpa Onna (Not sure about time...) to name a few).
Baka Test II starts in July after the OVA will be released this spring.
Old 2010-12-06, 02:47   Link #137
Dr. Casey

July? Jesus Christ. There were a bunch of sites saying January a few months ago. 2011 is going to be a terrible year.
Old 2010-12-06, 03:03   Link #138
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
I find quite the opposite and that it's the TV series that have been largely forgettable over the past year while the OVA's I've watched have been what are engaging, well written and always leave me wanting more and willing to wait for it despite their overall length. If there were more TV series out there that actually appealed to me like the OVA's that are come out now tend to I would be more inclined to find something to agree with in your post, but it's kind of a graveyard for people who aren't necessarily into visual novels/light novels/fluff.

That said I'm all for the revival of 26-50 episode series since that would at least give writer's more room to whip up a decent overall story. The problem with TV anime right now is that there's rarely enough time to do anything of note with 13 episodes and rarely is this even attempted. Plus the way the 13 episode series are set up they are just as guilty as OVA's if not moreso for making people wait a long time (sometimes up to a year) for more. They also have a tendency to cut off with a capped ending after the 13 episodes are up and leave you hanging for an indefinite period of time for more material at which point there's little guarantee of it being of the same quality or that it will be anywhere near as engaging. The second Shana season stands out as my favourite example of a show that just completely lost me where the first season had me engaged.
Kaioshin Sama makes some good points. If you're the type of person that isn't into visual novels, light novels, moe or parodies, it wouldn't be a surprise if these kind of people haven't really enjoyed TV anime for a while. Be it the economic climate, lack of talent pool, aging population, decline of interest in the west or any other factor, the reality is the proportion of action, fantasy, sci-fi, drama (outside of shoujo romance) and generally non-"moe emphasised' TV anime has been on the decline.

There has also been a lack of an "anime epic" for the past few years. We had Death Note in 2006, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in 2007, Code Geass in 2007/08. The closest thing I can think of is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, though I'm not exactly sure if it would fit this criteria.

OVAs and Anime Movies on the other hand has remained relatively unchanged. We even had one recently that was quite a success in the west, namely Time of Eve. For anime movies, we've had one that were otaku focused (Disappearance, Nanoha, Fate Stay Night), but we've also had one's that also had influence in the west such as Summer Wars (which I believe got nominated for an Oscar - remember reading on ANN sometime ago).

Hence, it isn't really a surprise that a lot of people feel that TV anime hasn't been interesting.

However, it is a valid argument that a lot of OVAs/movies are a one-off lasting impression or if it is comprised of multiple episodes, often take too long and cause it to lose momentum. OVAs can also leave a cliffhanger ending or hint towards a sequel, which may or may not come. However, it really is a preference of taste if one would rather a great one-off work or series. Personally, I don't really have a preference as long as it is good in my books.

In regards to cliffhanger endings/hinting towards a sequel, I agree with Kaoishin that 13 episode animes just as guilty if not more of this. There has been numerous numbers of sequels of popular animes lately, and often not too far apart either (within a year usually for the popular ones). Personally, I think this is just a sign of the industry "playing safe" given the climate it is in and general unwillingness to take risks. Furthermore, I can say the same for the Movie and Video Game industry as a whole. Numerous Superhero adaptation sequels and Game X II & III etc ... same deal really.

As for what I'll be most likely checking out next season:

Fractale - slice of life with supernatural/paranormal/mystery elements, which is my cup of tea.

Gosick - read a bit of the light novel, and it was decent.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - hoping it will be another Nanoha :P

Mirrai Nikki OVA - quite deep in the manga and overall it has been a good read

Angel Beats OVA - hoping it will put some further sense into the otherwise "nonsensical" plot)
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 06:17   Link #139
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Baka Test II starts in July after the OVA will be released this spring.
Do you even have a source for that?
Old 2010-12-06, 07:06   Link #140
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Do you even have a source for that?
I know the anime airdates, even some are fake.

Tags
series