AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Horizon

Notices

Old 2011-10-11, 11:38   Link #681
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
(no lies, I've read elsewhere females find his face "moe", whatever the hell that means; everyone LOVES fabulous).

I must say I loled at this, since that exactly what I think!

The fact that I still continue to watch this despite the... Err, nothing-much-happening except lots of fanservice (at the moment, that is) and exposition galore is mostly because of Aoi. *cough* (Though that's not to say that I don't like the girls--Asama, Masazumi and Neito are definitely appealing on the eyes )

/runs and slips off banana now

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 12:44   Link #682
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Oi oi, don't lie, you are actually in love of that droopy eye, super smug, LADY KILLER face (no lies, I've read elsewhere females find his face "moe", whatever the hell that means; everyone LOVES fabulous).
Quote:
You stuck around for Medaka and I hope you do so here too . There is definitely a story and ... that brings to my main point.
Well, speaking of Medaka and the main character in this being moe, one of the things which has most struck me about this series is Aoi Toori's resemblance to Kumagawa. So much so, in fact, that I'm slightly worried about the epic mindblowing potential Kumagawa will have when we finally get the Medaka anime, now that some of the audience will have been exposed to this type of character. Still, though, it is pretty much exactly true that what kind of character Aoi Toori will be is the principle point keeping me interested in this anime. I can't tell right now whether I should just jump straight onto the bandwagon, or be worried about his sure to be exaggerated popularity.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 14:06   Link #683
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The guy's awesome.
It seems he's so extreme the people that would like that really like him, and for everyone else it's SO bad it's good. Somehow the show's sex-changing antics made even more absurd then it already was; basically now we can't even be sure what kind of hell hole spawned him.

As for everything else. This episode made a lot more sense, though I think credit is due to the people actually explaining Ep1 here then the actual episode itself. Thanks for that. I didn't have the best opinion on the female outfits last episode but this one kind of turned it all around, they're really expressive and kind of amusing in a way; I think they look silly in battles so probably Ep1 kind of started on the wrong foot in that regard. Same thing could be said about the interface gadgets they keep summoning. They've kind of grown on me now that they've been portrayed as an everyday thing rather then the "battle interface" feel they had in the first episode.

Character wise. face was funny so he gets the okey from me; his sister too. Other characters were kind of okey, though we didn't really get much development on that front. I think the main girl jumped to the top, along with sister, now that I know she's some kind of robot—her personality was just too bland, but I can accept it if she's some kind of doll thing.

Story wise. Presentation was better, just because it was more slow and tamed. We also didn't get teased every half second. The world itself ain't looking so random anymore and it seems to be shaping into a decent sci-fi of sorts. If the show gets a half-decent plot it should be good, though I'm sure some people would just still watch it anyway,

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2011-10-12 at 09:02.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 15:08   Link #684
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It seems he's so extreme the people that would like that really like him, and for everyone else it's SO bad it's good. Somehow the show's sex-changing antics made even more absurd then it already was; basically now we can't even be sure what kind of hell hole spawned him.

As for everything else. This episode made a lot more sense, though I think credit is due to the people actually explaining Ep1 here then the actual episode itself. Thanks for that. I didn't have the best opinion on the female outfits last episode but this one kind of turned it all around, they're really expressive and kind of amusing in a way; I think they look silly in battles so probably Ep1 kind of started on the wrong foot in that regard. Same thing could be said about the interface gadgets they keep summoning. They've kind of grown on me now that they've been portrayed as an everyday thing rather then the "battle interface" feel they had in the first episode.

Character wise. was funny so he gets the okey from me; his sister too. Other characters were kind of okey, though we didn't really get much development on that front. I think the main girl jumped to the top, along with sister, now that I know she's some kind of robot—her personality was just too bland, but I can accept it if she's some kind of doll thing.

Story wise. Presentation was better, just because it was more slow and tamed. We also didn't get teased every half second. The world itself ain't looking so random anymore and it seems to be shaping into a decent sci-fi of sorts. If the show gets a half-decent plot it should be good, though I'm sure some people would just still watch it anyway, if the silliness just builds up though the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I still don't have a clue what the fuck is going on. Gotta admit, that is one funny guy though. He's the only reason I'm watching this show atm.
Wait for better you know what's. Seriously can't stress this enough. It's still a goofy show, but it's at least comprehensible with the official ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpiente View Post

Also, what a great place for news ANN is! Just dont ask their columnist for opinions, cause they will tell you that an anime is 1.5 of 5 because it have too much action and too much eye candy!

\
Yep, ANN is goddamned atrocious with it's previews and reviews IMO with the sole exception of Zac Bertschy who I find to actually be informative, insightful and often amusing. The rest just seems like they don't give half a damn about what they are writing (in other words they lack passion) and just want to get the articles out there and it clearly shows in how simplistic their criteria for judgement is and how much they can par down a show to fit that criteria. I find most if not all review sites and blogs to be just as bad sadly, hence why I now use myself as the primary source of making a judgement call on whether to watch a series and how to describe it to others. After all who better to know my own tastes and interests than myself....someone who also happens to be VERY different in that regard compared to the majority of anime fandom and thus a person whom most reviews can't help or be used as gauge for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I can't recall the last time some official source said something like this and it turned out well.
Why? Your average shows main plot kicks in around that time usually anyway after the world and characters have been a bit more formally introduced. Sounds like standard operating procedure to me as opposed to something to be apprehensive about.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-10-12 at 14:09.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 15:32   Link #685
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Reviews, at least the ones that throw a number at the end, are pretty dumb in general...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
but exactly what faggotry are we talking about here?
Don't care, as long as it's funny. It's pretty hard to pull stunts like this off and make me laugh, since I'm the pretty hard headed, but this episode managed so hopefully the show can keep up the act.

Quote:
I seem to have stumbled onto a 4chan inspired post.
Don't go there, and never will. It's like some kind of troll network of mindless banter and horny teens. Not my cup of tea.

Quote:
Wait for better you know what's. Seriously can't stress this enough. It's still a goofy show, but it's at least comprehensible with the official ones.
Don't hype it up too much, or we'll certainly be disappointed...

BTW why are you typing double spaces? You know this is HTML and two or more spaces get converted to one right? There's a way to get double-space after period but it's kind of pointless really. The only time you want double spaces is when your font sucks, and we're well past that age. Just let the habit die already.
Old 2011-10-11, 15:45   Link #686
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Dat class.
Actually, building up a wiki to sort all these mumbo-jumbo is the best possible way to understand everything.
Or just call Allen. XD
Someone is translating all the info dump stuff and posting it here.

http://kyoukaisen.tumblr.com/

I suggest we all take a look at that, he even translated the Far East Lesson 1 vid from the official site. Also, at this rate of posting and increasing of the thread view count, this seems on track to get its own sub-forum. That would be extremely helpful for sorting out info.
Old 2011-10-11, 15:46   Link #687
chaos_animagic

The world of Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon seems very interesting... I wish I was in it....

Everyone have a sort of special power or techniques....
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 15:47   Link #688
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@Suzuku

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 2011-10-11, 15:53   Link #689
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Don't hype it up too much, or we'll certainly be disappointed...

BTW why are you typing double spaces? You know this is HTML and two or more spaces get converted to one right? There's a way to get double-space after period but it's kind of pointless really. The only time you want double spaces is when your font sucks, and we're well past that age. Just let the habit die already.
Believe it or not I'm not trying to hype anything up since I barely know the franchise unlike with Gundam AGE for example. For stuff like that and details and what not I think you might want to talk to stuopidget before anyone else. I just think it's better that people get the best possible understanding of a show and considering this show has had something of a borked release I don't think it can hurt to try and throw in a few hints like say....watch the official TAN release as opposed to bad illegal you know what's.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 16:41   Link #690
serpiente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Someone is translating all the info dump stuff and posting it here.

http://kyoukaisen.tumblr.com/

I suggest we all take a look at that, he even translated the Far East Lesson 1 vid from the official site. Also, at this rate of posting and increasing of the thread view count, this seems on track to get its own sub-forum. That would be extremely helpful for sorting out info.
Thats great! Maybe now even some hadena guys can pass by by it

I got the feeling that for "decent" they have this standard:
Spoiler for decent:

Onto the fun side of things, For some reason, I can totally imgine Kimi (I mean Belfiore) onee-chan asking Toori to seize her breast and give his judgement, with it being not incestuous at all. Both are so beyond limits that an act like that could be just everyday´s routine. Not to say everything is so over the top. Could it be the first time I saw in an anime a pervert mecha like Kishonari (well except for Masamune Shirow cyborgs), but hey! This guy looks plain robotic!

I bet the writer of Horizon plays Disgaea in his spare time, that is, if he has any time to spare!

And poor Masazumi, indeed! Not so for her past, but she is one of the few flatchested girls in this era, and happens to be probably in love with a breast grabbing, LN obsessed guy like Toori. That s a source of drama!

Very strangely, nowadays fast action-paced, flamboyant animated episodes ones seems to be not so popular as episodes with boring people talkin with hardly any animation in it...
serpiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 17:00   Link #691
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I bet the writer of Horizon plays Disgaea in his spare time, that is, if he has any time to spare!
And why's that? I'm not really seeing any resemblance at all. There's no bloodthirsty prinies, no demon lords, and more importantly... no sardines!! I suppose the randomness of the cast somehow resembles Disgaea, but still no. The closest thing it has to Disgaea is the way the setting works. The whole monsters and human-looking character living together, but that's more of a generic theme that isn't really Disgaea specific.

Quote:
Very strangely, nowadays fast action-paced, flamboyant animated episodes ones seems to be not so popular as episodes with boring people talkin with hardly any animation in it...
NO, it's just "good episodes" versus "bad episodes". Fighting or no fighting doesn't make any difference on whether an episode is good or bad; it's merely a presentation prop that's sometimes necessary. If the studio did that fighting sequence last episode for this purpose then all I can say is they gracefully failed to get any point across, since it was all pretty deaf plot wise.
Old 2011-10-11, 17:01   Link #692
CWW
Lurker

I haven't watched episode two yet, but why are people using the word faggot like five times in a sentence? It it part of some meme I'm not aware of? Either way it's dumb and you should all feel bad.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 17:08   Link #693
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Can someone explain me how Aoi Toori is the president ? What is exactly the power of a president ? WTF is going on in this anime

I don't even undertand the summary of the first page :

Quote:
In the far future, humans abandon the devastated Earth and move to the upper world "Tenjo". But Tenjo and the law of causation collapse by a war and humans returns to the Earth, which has turns into an inhabitable planet except for Shinshu area. Shinshu is too small to accommodate all the humans, so they duplicate the are and create "Juso Sekai". In order to rebuild Tenjo and the law of causation, the returned humans start reproduction of history from B.C. 10,000. When the reproduction completes until A.D. 1413, a war breaks out in Shinshu and Juso Sekai falls onto the original world. The humans living in Juso Sekai lose their land and invade the original world. People in Shinshu surrender and is divided by the invaders from Juso Sekai. They try to resume the history reproduction from A.D.1457, but the update of history terminates in A.D.1648. A rumor of apocalypse begins to spread the world.
WTF ? What is Tenjo ? The law of causation ? They duplicate what ? Juso Sekai ? Repdouction of history ?
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 17:19   Link #694
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Can someone explain me how Aoi Toori is the president ?
Some kind of eroge-addiction and because he's a hentai as I understand it.

Quote:
What is exactly the power of a president ?
Aside from groping and telling everyone else what to do, it would seem he has no power whatsoever.

Quote:
WTF is going on in this anime

I don't even undertand the summary of the first page
Nobody but the people already in the-know does. Just read this info-thing http://kyoukaisen.tumblr.com/ and this very informative post http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=598 by stuopidget.

Just fair warning, when you understand it, you'll actually understand it even less then you do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I haven't watched episode two yet, but why are people using the word faggot like five times in a sentence? It it part of some meme I'm not aware of?
Go watch the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Either way it's dumb and you should all feel bad.
I would feel bad watching his character and not using it...
Old 2011-10-11, 17:22   Link #695
serpiente

Quote:
And why's that? I'm not really seeing any resemblance at all. There's no bloodthirsty prinies, no demon lords, and more importantly... no sardines!! I suppose the randomness of the cast somehow resembles Disgaea, but still no. The closest thing it has to Disgaea is the way the setting works. The whole monsters and human-looking character living together, but that's more of a generic theme that isn't really Disgaea specific.
Well, it doesnt have to be an exact copy. It happens to give me the same vibes, from the parodic/absurd setting, to the stereotype´s mix of characters, charas designs and flat chested jokes.

Quote:
NO, it's just "good episodes" versus "bad episodes". Fighting or no fighting doesn't make any difference on whether an episode is good or bad; it's merely a presentation prop that's sometimes necessary. If the studio did that fighting sequence last episode for this purpose then all I can say is they gracefully failed to get any point across, since it was all pretty deaf plot wise.
Im happy I said "more popular", and not "good" and "bad". Flamboyant animation is very good wellcomed when you are watching anime, at least for me.
serpiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 17:32   Link #696
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Can someone explain me how Aoi Toori is the president ? What is exactly the power of a president ? WTF is going on in this anime

I don't even undertand the summary of the first page :

WTF ? What is Tenjo ? The law of causation ? They duplicate what ? Juso Sekai ? Repdouction of history ?
All of this was explained in detail in episode 2 and briefly in episode 1. Pay extra attention to the dialogue.
Old 2011-10-11, 17:35   Link #697
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Well, it doesnt have to be an exact copy. It happens to give me the same vibes, from the parodic/absurd setting, to the stereotype´s mix of characters, charas designs and flat chested jokes.
I still find it hard to see the resemblence. Jokes in Disgaea are far less indiscreet. Yes there's lots of slapstick comedy but it's very classy slapstick comedy most of the time, not like in this show.
Old 2011-10-11, 17:39   Link #698
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
All of this was explained in detail in episode 2 and briefly in episode 1. Pay extra attention to the dialogue.
Sadly they're not doing a very good job of explaining what exactly is going on in this world. The whole classroom scene went way over my head with the terminologies and incomplete explanations.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 17:44   Link #699
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Sadly they're not doing a very good job of explaining what exactly is going on in this world. The whole classroom scene went way over my head with the terminologies and incomplete explanations.
In the far future, humans abandon a devastated Earth and traveled to outer space. However, due to unknown phenomenon that prevents them from traveling into space, humanity returns to Earth only to find it inhospitable except for Japan.

To accomodate the entire human population, pocket dimensions are created around Japan to house in the populace. In order to find a way to return to outer space, the humans began reenacting human history according to the Holy book Testament. But in the year 1413 of the Testament Era, the nations of the pocket dimensions invade and conquer Japan, dividing the territory into feudal fiefdoms and forcing the original inhabitants of Japan to leave.

It is now the year 1648 of the Testament Era, the refugees of Japan now live in the city ship Musashi, where it constantly travels around Japan while being watched by the Testament Union, the authority that runs the re-enactment of history. However, rumors of an apocalypse and war begins to spread when the Testament stops revealing what happens next after 1648. Taking advantage of this situation, Tori Aoi, head of Musashi Ariadust Academy's Supreme Federation and President of the student council, leads his fellow classmates to use this opportunity to regain their homeland.

Taken from Wikipedia. And, no, I have no idea how re-enacting history is supposed to solve anything, but in the context of this fictional universe, the inhabitants believe it, so I'll just accept that it's a fundamental law of how their world works. Also, there's an interview somewhere where they say the story doesn't really start until episode 4. So enjoy the fanservice for now I guess.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 17:45   Link #700
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I think they're doing a fine job, they're telling you the information straightforward. The explanations aren't incomplete, they just tell the details as they fit in the context of the conversation they're having. As for the terminologies, they explained them in the class explanation as well (if you're talking about the references to the Divine and Harmonic states). Rather than the anime not doing a good job of explaining, I just think people zone-out in the middle of the infodumps and cease attempting to pay attention to what's being said.

Tags
action, fantasy, science fiction, sunrise