AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-15, 14:10   Link #1181
RGB

Hannibal pretty much cemented his place as the best character. His deadpan "Please excuse Cecily for attempted murder" to Siegfried was the highlight of the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep11:
Seconding Cecily's execive busybodying. Also considering Lisa's appearance her theory kindda implies that original Lisa was a narcissist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They could've just done what they did with the other crazy old guy and give him a horribly spelled name with a normal pronunciation. You know, something like Glzyndr, with a pronunciation similar to Glass-cinder.
Headstone maker's pro-tip: Never ask the wind (or any of the Cambells) how to spell properly.

Last edited by RGB; 2009-12-15 at 15:35.
RGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 21:05   Link #1182
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Ep. 11.

Did you guys notice how perfectly each character's behavior fits that character's personality in this eppie? It's kinda exemplary implementation of heteroglossia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteroglossia). Especially it applies to Cecily's actions. There were quite a few scenes in the episode in which she did things nobody else could do, like attacking Siegfried without a second thought, or walking on that table, or rushing to Lisa at the first opportunity in order to apologize to her.

Also, was kinda surprised to see an episode constructed around characters' feelings. Or, rather, feeling, emotions, characters' personalities were the things that moved the plot forward in this eppie. (I know it sounds kinda vague, I'll write later about it if I have time ^^)

Pity that with all the good things this ep. didn't make strong impact on me. Still this series is far from perfect in its execution...

That said, I just can't see the second season of SnB. Will they end the plot in the next ep. or not - the second season won't sell.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 21:57   Link #1183
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Or, rather, feeling, emotions, characters' personalities were the things that moved the plot forward in this eppie.
Cecily being the usual dumbass Cecily moved the plot forward in this eppie. What did she say a while back? Atama warui? -_-;;;

Quote:
Will they end the plot in the next ep. or not - the second season won't sell.
I don't have sales statistics at hand (or rather CBA to fake any ^_^;;; ) but I bet the combination of boobplate Cecily and moeblob Lisa is selling pretty well to the target demographic.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 14:13   Link #1184
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I don't have sales statistics at hand (or rather CBA to fake any ^_^;;; ) but I bet the combination of boobplate Cecily and moeblob Lisa is selling pretty well to the target demographic.
Lisa isn't a moeblob, Yui Hirasawa is.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 17:29   Link #1185
scr
my sides are in orbit

Lightbulb

Quote:
Ep. 11.

Did you guys notice how perfectly each character's behavior fits that character's personality in this eppie? It's kinda exemplary implementation of heteroglossia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteroglossia). Especially it applies to Cecily's actions. There were quite a few scenes in the episode in which she did things nobody else could do, like attacking Siegfried without a second thought, or walking on that table, or rushing to Lisa at the first opportunity in order to apologize to her.

Also, was kinda surprised to see an episode constructed around characters' feelings. Or, rather, feeling, emotions, characters' personalities were the things that moved the plot forward in this eppie. (I know it sounds kinda vague, I'll write later about it if I have time ^^)

Pity that with all the good things this ep. didn't make strong impact on me. Still this series is far from perfect in its execution...

That said, I just can't see the second season of SnB. Will they end the plot in the next ep. or not - the second season won't sell.
I think what you wanted to say is that Cecily is so a Mary Sue.
Especially note the discussion about Mary Sue as Idealized Character.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 17:44   Link #1186
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
I think what you wanted to say is that Cecily is so a Mary Sue.
Especially note the discussion about Mary Sue as Idealized Character.
I dunno, when I think of Mary Sues this is generally what matches up with me:
Quote:
She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.
This is basically the exact opposite of Cecily. Girl's riddled with flaws.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 17:49   Link #1187
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

After watching ep11, I can't help but wonder... How much was that table worth?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 18:06   Link #1188
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

I think Cecily is too stupid to be a Mary Sue
Her stupidity (or rather "simplicity") was kinda emphasized by script several times, so no guessing here.

Edit: and combination of her simplicity, her "do first think later" behavior with that distinct "nobody should die no matter of what, even the bad guys (well, Siegfried is an exception )" attitude makes her quite enjoyable character to me

Edit 2: about Lisa being a moeblob. In a wide meaning of the term, they are all moeblobs, including Cecily and Aria (despite their age). This is determined by the series portraying them in a certain way, distinct to moeblob genre. On the other hand, this series has very strong plot (unlike "classic" moeblob series like Kannagi or K-ON or Lucky Star), and that makes Lisa, Cecily and Aria not moeblob, but fantasy characters.

But, we had a few non-plot, moeblob episodes in the middle, - eps 5-8. And, imo, in 5th ep. Lisa is a typical moeblob (but in eps 9-11 she isn't). Cecily is a moeblob in 7th ep. but not in 11th. Etc.

This series is half moeblob half fantasy. But, it seems, fantasy half is bigger

It's the matter of balance imo. A little more emphasis on character's attractiveness, cuteness, on her voice, her beautiful appearance, her charming manners, and you'll get yourself a nice moeblob, but making the character a part of wider sheme a little more, engaging her in a plot a little deeper returns her to "normality", turns her into your usual standard common female char again.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
Natsuru:

Last edited by Cyrus17; 2009-12-18 at 19:00.
Old 2009-12-19, 03:13   Link #1189
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for last episode and final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 10:50   Link #1190
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Spoiler for Episode 12:

I can't say that Blacksmith is flawless. I do think some things could have been handled differently and it feels like it should have been two cour.

However, for me it is one of the more enjoyable series of the Autumn season. Also, I rather like Cecily, Aria, and Lisa. Heck, even Luke had his moments.
Old 2009-12-19, 11:33   Link #1191
Ansalem
Speaker

Spoiler for Ep 12:
Old 2009-12-19, 12:56   Link #1192
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Spoiler for spoiler:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 13:12   Link #1193
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

well this concludes a horrible anime that had potential at the start, all l'll say is.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-19, 20:27   Link #1194
Dralha

Blacksmith was entertaining overall. Along with the dark sword & sorcery fare, which I found appealing from the beginning, there were also comic moments and a dash of ecchi to lighten things up. I liked all the characters and enjoyed their interactions. The action scenes were well-done, but some parts did seem a bit rushed.

Spoiler for Ep 12:
Old 2009-12-19, 22:14   Link #1195
lightbringer
M9000

Spoiler for 12:

Final verdict (for entire season): 3/10
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 22:16   Link #1196
gonzo562

suprised this ended up being only a 12 episode anime. I thought it had potential to be a 26 episode series. Well hope theirs a 2nd season.

The ending was alright
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 00:40   Link #1197
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Final summary: 5/10. Not recommended.

Bad things:
1) Plot ("badly constructed" is the first expression that comes to mind. Tbh, throw away all the "man in black"/Siegfried crap, give more girlies instead, Elsa for example; also, all the "politics" content was boring);
2) Screenplay (worst script in a long time, 1/10. Very amateurish work);
3) Actually plot/screenplay are so bad that they made SnB nearly unwatchable.

Good things:
1) Beautiful girls;
2) Lolis with swords;
3) Cecily-Aria relationships;
4) Great moeblob content;
5) Four moeblob episodes in the middle and Elsa's ark;
6) Overall moeblob approach to the way girls characters were portrayed;
7) Solid work with characters overall.

Nearly forgot. The quote of the 12th episode goes to Luke and Lisa:
Quote:
Lisa (watching sunset, dreamily):
- Do you remember? It was like this the last time. I was very happy when you gave me this hat.
Luke:
- You've said that many times.
Lisa:
- Sorry.
I lol'd

P.S. Actually screenplay in the moeblob episodes was kinda good. I wonder if it was written by different person... Plot-advancing episodes were still awful, especially eps 1-3 and ep.12, and, to the lesser degree, 9-11.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
Natsuru:

Last edited by Cyrus17; 2009-12-20 at 02:06. Reason: 7) and quote ^^
Old 2009-12-20, 02:25   Link #1198
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep12:
Old 2009-12-20, 07:49   Link #1199
DummyInc

any fansub for this anime after epi 9?? it seems that gg fansub stopped
Old 2009-12-20, 08:14   Link #1200
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Final summary: 5/10. Not recommended.

Bad things:
1) Plot ("badly constructed" is the first expression that comes to mind. Tbh, throw away all the "man in black"/Siegfried crap, give more girlies instead, Elsa for example; also, all the "politics" content was boring);
2) Screenplay (worst script in a long time, 1/10. Very amateurish work);
3) Actually plot/screenplay are so bad that they made SnB nearly unwatchable.

Good things:
1) Beautiful girls;
2) Lolis with swords;
3) Cecily-Aria relationships;
4) Great moeblob content;
5) Four moeblob episodes in the middle and Elsa's ark;
6) Overall moeblob approach to the way girls characters were portrayed;
7) Solid work with characters overall.

Nearly forgot. The quote of the 12th episode goes to Luke and Lisa:

I lol'd

P.S. Actually screenplay in the moeblob episodes was kinda good. I wonder if it was written by different person... Plot-advancing episodes were still awful, especially eps 1-3 and ep.12, and, to the lesser degree, 9-11.
Lol... how can u give 5 out of 10 if your good things are 2.3X of the bad things!?

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen