AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-30, 09:28   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 580 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Welp, the latest spoiler is out now, guys! It seems the war finally comes to an end this chapter. Does it end with a bang, or with a whimper? Check below to find out.....! Of course, credit goes to aohige for the spoiler translation:

-Shanks holds Luffy's straw hat and has a flashback, saying that this isn't anything like the promise they made with each other. He says that they'll do it right next time. He tells Buggy to give the hat back to Luffy, under the pretense that he'll reward him with a treasure map if he does so. The clown is ecstatic at the news, but after doing the deed he realizes that Shanks had deceived him, and gets pissed at his former shipmate. Buggy's followers see their captain insulting Shanks, and decide to stay under his lead forever since they believe him to be on equal footing with a Yonkou.

-Law is ready to escape in his submarine, but both admirals Aokiji and Kizaru try to intercept him. Aokiji uses his Ice Age to freeze the ocean once more (even reaching underwater this time around), and as usual, Kizaru shoots a barrage of his laser beams. Whether Law's group managed to successfully escape or not is unknown.....

-It seems that Shanks talks to both Marco and Mihawk. Shanks then tells the marines that if they still intend to continue, then they'll have to face the full might of his crew. Sengoku finally gives in and surrenders, telling the remaining soldiers to tend to the wounded. Then apparently either Shanks or Sengoku (spoiler doesn't specify, but I'm guessing Shanks here) tells Blackbeard that it isn't the time for them to fight yet, and will withdraw since he got what he desired. Hancock uses her powers to charm some marines so they can search for Luffy. Shanks says he'll take Whitebeard's and Ace's bodies with him to give them a proper burial. Some of the marines voiced their disapproval of this notion, but Sengoku says that he'l allow it, since it's Shanks who's doing the corpse removal. Shots of all the characters are shown, and the chapter ends with the narration telling us that this bloody war has finally come to a close.

So it looks like the war finally ended not with a bang, but with a whimper. Probably for the best, as well, since further conflict probably would've ended with the marines getting wiped out. Heh, just leave it to Shanks to go negotiating terms with the marines (though Aokiji and Kizaru at least tried to get their last kicks in). BTW, it looks like Akainu didn't really do anything this chapter, but he's obviously unhappy with the results......

And once again, Buggy continues to be awesome. His interaction with Shanks pretty much sealed his fate for the rest of the series. The clown's definitely destined for misery greatness, now! I can't wait to see his new huge bounty now that the war's finally over!

Anyway, I think it's safe to assume that Law finally escaped with Luffy, now. Just how grave are the rookie's injuries? Will he ever recover from his mental trauma!? We may find out these things next chapter..... which will come out in two weeks, since OP's taking a break next week. But for now, let's just look forward to the scans for the current chapter......

Last edited by marvelB; 2010-03-30 at 09:50.
Old 2010-03-30, 09:48   Link #2
Crimson Reaper

I think most of us expected Shanks to simply talk the Marines into backing down, though I'm a little surprise that Blackbeard would just stop too. The Marines are in a terrible state after fighting Whitebeard and troops, another fight with a full powered Yonkou wasn't possible.
Interesting how Shanks now has both bodies. You just know something more will happen thanks to this.

Glad to see Hancock is keep track of Luffy. God I can't believe I have to wait at least another 2 weeks to see how Luffy is doing. Actually we might not hear another word about Luffy for quite a few chapters, what with reactions and whatnot.

Perhaps we'll be following the Straw Hat crews journey back to Shabondy as they deal with the news. I'd like that myself.
Old 2010-03-30, 10:05   Link #3
james0246

Not much to say...

I was kind of hoping that Shanks would release one mighty Haki blast, but alas, Oda still doesn't want us to see what the "power" can really do when used by a master...

Oh well, the war is over, so everyone pack up and head home...
Old 2010-03-30, 10:12   Link #4
seiji_kun

Those yonkous are truly beasts. The way Shanks ends this war is just unbelievable, bye a mere threat. At least Sengoku is reasonable and forfaits the war, if it were Akainu he would've kept going. And +1 at thinking it's Shanks who told BB it isn't time yet. Seems BB didn't want to mess with Shanks just yet. Really makes you wonder how strong this one-armed guy can be. To bad we didn't get to see Rockstar or Beckman or Lucky Roux in action.

Hancock, glad that she does set of to follow Luffy but I hope those marines are just a temporary mean of transportation cause she can't handel a whole ship bye her own. And this war has been a blast but can't say I'm unhappy either to see it end. Finally we'll see how Luffy will get over this and how the strawhats will reunite and how things are going to be resolved with Hancock and her love disease.
Old 2010-03-30, 10:22   Link #5
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Not much to say...

I was kind of hoping that Shanks would release one mighty Haki blast, but alas, Oda still doesn't want us to see what the "power" can really do when used by a master...

I'm actually kinda not surprised that Shanks hasn't shown off any more of his powers yet. Frankly, I never expected to see him get into a real serious battle until much later in the series, anyway. Methinks that Oda will wait until he's shown off the other two Yonkou's abilities before he reveals Shanks' arsenal. Also, I'm already seeing people question the significance of Shanks taking Ace and Whitebeard's corpses at other forums. I guess people must think he has a shaman or something in his crew that will resurrect the two fallen pirates (ye gods, I hope not).....

BTW, I can understand Blackbeard backing down. Sure, taking on a fleet admiral and a legendary VA is one thing, but I think he's smart enough to know that he'd get overwhelmed if a Yonkou's pirate crew were thrown into the mix, as well. He may not be able to follow through on his promise to sink Marineford, but he at least got his second DF power and messed up the island pretty good as it is, so there'd be no shame in him retreating.....

Oh, and I agree with the notion that we'll probably see the other Straw-Hats' whereabouts before we see Luffy again. Actually, we may see quite a bit going on in the war's aftermath, which makes me extremely eager for these coming chapters......
Old 2010-03-30, 10:33   Link #6
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

so after beckman pointed his gun at kizaru, he's gonna let him shoot more beams at law n luffy?
Old 2010-03-30, 10:38   Link #7
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
so after beckman pointed his gun at kizaru, he's gonna let him shoot more beams at law n luffy?

Ah right, about that..... there was a part of the spoiler that said Beckman was surprised when Kizaru attacked Law's ship, saying that he didn't expect Kizaru to have that much power left in him. My guess is that ol' Borsalino may have attacked too quickly and suddenly for Beckman to react right away......
Old 2010-03-30, 10:51   Link #8
Blackbeard D. Kuma

So it seems that Garp was right all along. The marines alone couldn't afford to face another powerful entity besides the Whitebeard pirates (Rayleigh and Shanks are proof of that). It's a shame the shichibukai didn't do much, but that's to be expected from them considering their past tendencies for insubordination. If they decided to fight seriously, Shanks would think twice about his threats.
Old 2010-03-30, 11:08   Link #9
John D.

As disepointed as I may be that we don't get to see the Redhair Pirates in battle (the same with Blackbeard's crew, I'm very curious in their different abilities and what not...), this was how I thought it'd play out once Shanks arrived.

Glad the war is over so we can move on to next arc (not that this arc was boring. It was the opposite, the best arc this far in my opinion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
Those yonkous are truly beasts. The way Shanks ends this war is just unbelievable, bye a mere threat.
The marines has little choice in the matter^, they back down or they get to fight Redhair Pirates, the remaining WB Pirates+NW Allies and Blackbeard Pirates all at the same time. Which, I would think, would go very badly for them, extremely badly even. And once a shaky, temporarly truce has been established between the marines and Redhair and the WB folks, Blackbeard has to sound a quick retreat. Unless he fancy taking on Sengoku, Garp, Akainu, Kizuro, Aokiji etc. since the marines will now focus on him^. Not to mention that Shanks and Marco might want to take their share of Blackbeard's flesh if he stays around to make trouble.

Neither Blackbeard (despite incliness for loud proclamations of boosts...) nor Sengoku is fool enough to fight a battle against overwhelming odds when they can leave with what they've got - and they've both already achieved part of their different goals in this war
Old 2010-03-30, 11:12   Link #10
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Well, that went down pretty much as expected. The marines couldn't handle another yonkou crew especially since they were worn down already. Glad to hear Luffy will get the strawhat back, that was indeed not the way it should have been returned.

I hope the crew will be addressed in the next arc, with minor flashes of how Luffy's doing at best, I'm curious to see how they have developed. They might be able to reunite before Luffy recovers.
Old 2010-03-30, 11:16   Link #11
ZeroForever

hmm wondering if this is a april fools joke... considering last year, it sounds reasonable though.
Old 2010-03-30, 12:29   Link #12
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

What .
Shanks should kill Blackbeard now hate his ass .
Old 2010-03-30, 12:58   Link #13
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Not much to say...

To be honest James, I would had been surprise if shank would had been shown acting more than what he did to stop Aikanu.

I think this chapter is going to be a good closure to this Arc, Oda is maintaining Shanks true powers in secret while showing a believable end to the war, and not making it to look a forced ending.

I do wonder if Shanks is using his Haki to dissuade both pirates and marines to continue with the war...
Old 2010-03-30, 13:03   Link #14
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Also, I'm already seeing people question the significance of Shanks taking Ace and Whitebeard's corpses at other forums. I guess people must think he has a shaman or something in his crew that will resurrect the two fallen pirates (ye gods, I hope not).....
Hmm, no. He only said that he'll do the burial, nothing more.
Old 2010-03-30, 13:10   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
I do wonder if Shanks is using his Haki to dissuade both pirates and marines to continue with the war...
Theoretically speaking, yes, Sengoku is intimidated by Shanks and agrees to stop the war. The fact that Sengoku recognises the threat Shanks is posing, tells us of the Haki he and his crew is imposing.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2010-03-30, 13:18   Link #16
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
i laughed "LetŽs stop the fight, or youŽll have to face the wrath of my entire crew"

um, the ppl who just party all day long? I mean, is he like GokuŽn friendz, never givin a shit, then going SSJ4, owning everybody up?

Sengoku surrendered to Shanks immediately but took WB head on, although they have taken big casualties, is Shanks this powerful?
Old 2010-03-30, 13:19   Link #17
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Theoretically speaking, yes, Sengoku is intimidated by Shanks and agrees to stop the war. The fact that Sengoku recognises the threat Shanks is posing, tells us of the Haki he and his crew is imposing.
Yeah, when I read those line of the spoilers, I immediately tought about your lines about Haki. His words here reminds me when he saved Luffy from the Sea King.
Old 2010-03-30, 13:22   Link #18
Homura7

What benefit gives the marines prolong a war that has gone too far? Think about the casualties, and think too about the fact that they would be facing another Yonkou.
Old 2010-03-30, 13:30   Link #19
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

That was very wise of Sengoku to admit retreat, if there would be a battle between Shanks&World Government, I dont know which one would lose but even if WG win, they would suffer greatly and be open target for any revo terrorist out there.

"Sengoku saying sorry to Shanks and surrendering because he was afraid of him and the almighty godlike crew of his" is just a fanboy fantasy mixed in, I suggest you to read the origin text much more carefully if you actually believe that additional bullshit.
Old 2010-03-30, 13:55   Link #20
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. View Post
The marines has little choice in the matter^, they back down or they get to fight Redhair Pirates, the remaining WB Pirates+NW Allies and Blackbeard Pirates all at the same time. Which, I would think, would go very badly for them, extremely badly even. And once a shaky, temporarly truce has been established between the marines and Redhair and the WB folks, Blackbeard has to sound a quick retreat. Unless he fancy taking on Sengoku, Garp, Akainu, Kizuro, Aokiji etc. since the marines will now focus on him^. Not to mention that Shanks and Marco might want to take their share of Blackbeard's flesh if he stays around to make trouble.

Neither Blackbeard (despite incliness for loud proclamations of boosts...) nor Sengoku is fool enough to fight a battle against overwhelming odds when they can leave with what they've got - and they've both already achieved part of their different goals in this war
Who said the WB pirates would back up the Red-haired pirates? Nothing would've stopped them to retreat since it was the final order of their captain. Not like they have an obligation towards the red-haired pirates to back them up.

If anything, it could've turned into a huge free for all where it was Red-haired pirates vs BB pirates vs WG while the WB pirates retreated. Not like the WG was through its best forces since all the shichibukai, admirals and Sengoku and Garp were still standing. And while Sengoku most likely did opt for the best choice, I hardly think Shanks had a sure win on his hands.

I'm really kind of wondering how strong Shanks's crew is. The only members we really know of is Shanks of course, first mate Ben Beckman, Lucky Roux, Yassop and that 80 mil(?) rookie Rockstar. And at first sight that hardly seems to compare to the admirals, Garp, Sengoku + shichibukai. Hell imo the WG still had a fair chance to completely win this war. I got to say the WG kind of impressed the hell out of me this war. They (Akainu especially) really dominated this war.