Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-03-13, 19:29   Link #1
Terransheep
Hai... masta...
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Terransheep Send a message via Yahoo to Terransheep
Questions about video cards...

Hi, I am sorry if this isn't the right place to post this but I need help.

I need to upgrade my video card but I'm not sure what to look for (if things don't work together etc)

my computer spec is...

Link: http://buy.yahoo.com.tw/gdsale/gdsale.asp?gdid=3499030

Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3-2120 Dual core (3.3GHz)
3MB L3 Cache

Intel H61

Memory
6GB DDR3 1066
hard drive
500GB SATA 2.0

Video card:

ATI Radeon HD 6450 1GB
memory 3819MB
1440x900 (32bit) (60Hz)

High Definition audio /Realtek ALC 662 Codec

.PCI Express x16
.PCI Express x1
.PCI Express x1

Power supply
180W 110V/240V

I'm looking at this card:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39037

Is that a decent card? Will this card be suitable for my computer?

If anyone can help. Thank you very much
Old 2013-03-13, 23:07   Link #2
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'd say it depends.

For instance, is this being upgraded with games being your primary consideration? If so, your i3-2120 is surprisingly robust gaming-wise, and you can do quite a bit better, imo, than a Radeon 7750. Or, in other words, a 7750 is going to still be the bottle-neck, by a longshot, in almost any game you are going to play.

Without knowing your budget, it's hard to recommend a specific card, but I can say that a Radeon 7750 isn't worth the price you're paying no matter what your needs are. As an example, an old GTX 460 is significantly better, and is generally available for $100.

Now, that said, the other issue you have to keep in mind is your Power Supply, which at 180 W isn't sufficient for anything that would be considered gaming-capable video card wise.

The 7750 you're looking at has, I believe, an 80 W requirement, and your CPU has a 65 W requirement, and then you remember your HD/DVD/CD drives require a little power as well, but I'd guess it would work, Edit: Scratch that. On the product page you linked, it says the card requires a 375 Watt Power Supply.

If your budget can afford it, I'd spring for a new power supply of at least 400 watts ($50-$150) and a video card in the $150-$200 range if you're at all interested in gaming.

You'll also want to make sure your motherboard has the right type of slot for whatever video card you're thinking of (I believe the 7750 uses the same slot as a 6450, so you should be good in that particular case).
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-03-14 at 00:16.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 23:43   Link #3
Terransheep
Hai... masta...
*Artist

Thanks for ur reply, yah I'm just gonna spend $100 for Blizzard's SC2: HoTS. hoping to play it in medium (or higher) smoothly in a 8 player game (or more). yah medium graphics is good enough for me. If it can do that, I'll be happy for a long time, since I don't play shooters on PC. or any other heavy 3D eater games.

So around $100 is what I'll want to spend, since I'll just gonna be playing SC2. I know it's a tiny upgrade and won't last in long run, but if that's decent card, I'll be fine. Just gonna play SC2 that's all. I play all other games on consoles. Blizzard is only on PC so yah...
Old 2013-03-13, 23:55   Link #4
4Tran

It looks like that Lenovo tower has a non-ATX power supply, so that's going to be your main stumbling block. As is, the existing power supply isn't going to be enough to run any higher end video cards than what you already have. Unless you can find something more powerful, it's better to not upgrade at all.

The problem is that I don't know if there are any more powerful power supplies that will fit your chassis, and if they do exist, they're going to cost a fortune. If still want to upgrade, you can get a 400+W ATX power supply and just leave it outside the chassis. It's sort of an ugly solution, and I don't know if I can recommend it though.
Old 2013-03-14, 00:12   Link #5
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It looks like that Lenovo tower has a non-ATX power supply, so that's going to be your main stumbling block. As is, the existing power supply isn't going to be enough to run any higher end video cards than what you already have. Unless you can find something more powerful, it's better to not upgrade at all.

The problem is that I don't know if there are any more powerful power supplies that will fit your chassis, and if they do exist, they're going to cost a fortune. If still want to upgrade, you can get a 400+W ATX power supply and just leave it outside the chassis. It's sort of an ugly solution, and I don't know if I can recommend it though.
Yea, I'm reading the product display page for the card he's looking at, and noticing it says it requires a 375 Watt Power Supply, so forget what I said about his 180 W being sufficient. The 80 W I read elsewhere must be resting power or something.

If he's going to upgrade his Power Supply (and leave it outside the chasis), I absolutely would not recommend the Radeon 7750, as I believe it's way overpriced for its performance.

I can't think of a Power Supply + Video Card solution to play SC 2 for under $100 though. Maybe a GT 440, which on paper meets the recommended specs (which is marketing speak for being able to play the game at lowest settings without wanting to rip your hair out) which I see for $57, combined with a $50 PSU.

But, I can't in good conscience recommend doing that just to go play SC 2 HOTS at its lowest settings. Spending that kind of money to play the game at such poor settings (keeping in mind it's not a stand alone game and you have to purchase Wings of Liberty first) just doesn't seem like a very smart decision.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 01:35   Link #6
Terransheep
Hai... masta...
*Artist

thanks for the replies. I actually can play sc2 HOTS in medium, just sometimes the fps drop during 3v3 or 4v4. it's best to not upgrade then. thanks again