AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-12, 08:42   Link #861
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Interesting trivia - Japanese convenience stores sell underpants, but not ziploc bags. I wonder if there's any deeper social meaning there.
Yes. It's called the "green" ("use less plastic") movement. That explains. You even have to PAY to get a plastic bag.

It's been there for quite a bit. Try the supermarkets instead.
Old 2010-06-12, 11:30   Link #862
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, as it happens my "TSA" ziploc bag for toiletries had broken, and I wanted to replace it. I had intended to try a suupa but they're a lot harder to find in central Tokyo than convenience stores.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 06:57   Link #863
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Well, as it happens my "TSA" ziploc bag for toiletries had broken, and I wanted to replace it. I had intended to try a suupa but they're a lot harder to find in central Tokyo than convenience stores.
Supermarkets are usually at the basement of dept. stores (ONLY IF THEY HAVE THE NAME OF A RAILWAY CORP.) [Like Seibu, Tokyu, Odakyu, Tobu]. Other dept. stores like Takashimaya, Isetan, and Daimaru MAY have dept. stores at the basement, but they're overpriced.) And you should see one near ANY private railway [JR doesn't count, as well as Subway.]
Old 2010-06-13, 20:03   Link #864
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Oh believe me, I spent a lot of time in those basements - those food markets are one of the great joys of Japan for me. It just never occurred to me to buy sundries like ziplocs there - I think of them as food places. I'll definitely remember for next time.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 09:51   Link #865
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Oh believe me, I spent a lot of time in those basements - those food markets are one of the great joys of Japan for me. It just never occurred to me to buy sundries like ziplocs there - I think of them as food places. I'll definitely remember for next time.
1. NOT THE FOOD MARKET. I'm refering to the proper supermarket. In other words, not the cooked food shoppes. The supermarket where you do groceries.

2. You need something to put your food in right? Usually ziplocs can be fund near the baking implements like aluminum foil and grease paper.
Old 2010-07-07, 14:58   Link #866
Toleen
~moon princess~

i also want to visit japan someday
Toleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 20:22   Link #867
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Been meaning to say that when I visited Kyoto for the first time, I spotted a Caucasian guy working in the Hilton (I think) near the Sanjūsangen-dō temple. Nice temple BTW and not to mention. Too bad you can't take photo but I don't care though.

Not sure on why this is the case. When I see foreigners working somewhere else (e.g. another country) for the hotel business, I would assume that they would work in some managerial/supervising position. But this is the first time that this was not the case.

Also my bro tried to tip him 1,000 Yen but he warned him that Japan doesn't take too kindly on anyone tipping, local or foreign.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 03:26   Link #868
Langus
Optimus Prime

Japan's "no tipping" policy is amazing! I love it!
Old 2010-08-25, 05:34   Link #869
Qikz

Funny thing is, in England we don't ever tip either. Is it down to the way Waiters and stuff are paid in America since it seems to be almost law that you tip in America?
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 07:53   Link #870
~sylf~

I've been seriously considering going over to work in Japan for a while now... not permanently, just about 2yrs, enough to get the language and culture and have fun. I've been digging through this thread and turning alternately more resolved to go and more scared to go. >< I'll admit I only want to go because of my fascination with the place after watching anime so long, but I know for sure it'll have lots of adjustments. I'm asian myself, so I'm not afraid of looking weird on the street or being singled out. Mostly I'm just scared of potential expectations in working hours and the fact that everyone tells me females are expected to be married and subservient, so they might take you lightly at work. Screw that, I have a degree and I'm not afraid to use it. << But it does make me worry... did anyone else work there professionally and have some reassurance? lol.
~sylf~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 08:36   Link #871
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Funny thing is, in England we don't ever tip either. Is it down to the way Waiters and stuff are paid in America since it seems to be almost law that you tip in America?
the idea behind tips is that your saying to the person "you did a good job. So good in fact, that your boss probably isn't paying you enough, so here's a bit extra"
little known fact, that your not supposed to tip the owner of a place since he technically sets his own salary.

Bar tenders and waiters actually often make very little (or no) money and rely a lot on tips (which has it's positive effect, in that you don't pay taxes on tips).
It's funny that most other places in the world that I've been to don't usually have tips, but unfortunately when people see I'm American they insist on tips (usually by withholding my change). I've read stories of people who have gotten really angry if people try to give them tips, but I've never experienced it.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 13:02   Link #872
Aird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sylf~ View Post
I've been seriously considering going over to work in Japan for a while now... not permanently, just about 2yrs, enough to get the language and culture and have fun. I've been digging through this thread and turning alternately more resolved to go and more scared to go. >< I'll admit I only want to go because of my fascination with the place after watching anime so long, but I know for sure it'll have lots of adjustments. I'm asian myself, so I'm not afraid of looking weird on the street or being singled out. Mostly I'm just scared of potential expectations in working hours and the fact that everyone tells me females are expected to be married and subservient, so they might take you lightly at work. Screw that, I have a degree and I'm not afraid to use it. << But it does make me worry... did anyone else work there professionally and have some reassurance? lol.
How much Japanese do you know?

This is probably the most important. If you can't communicate effectively with your boss/coworkers, you probably won't get very far. Can you create a professional resume in Japanese?

I can tell you that 1 year classes in Japanese and knowing hiragana and katakana doesn't get you very far as a tourist. I would never try to work in Japan with that low level of proficency in the language. My roommate has been to Japan on business 3x for 3-6 weeks each time. He had the luxury of everyone in the office being able to communicate in english (communicating in english was a requirement for people working at his company's Japan branch). When he had to participate in meetings that were in Japanese, most of the time he was lost.

My roommate can confirm that in the workplace Japanese can be ageists, sexists and racists. His company had to let go of a foreigner who was completely fluent in Japanse because the Japanese clients would not talk to the person because they can tell that the person was not a native Japanese. The people working in the Japan office for my roommate always asked him about his age and suprised by his age in conjunction with his position.

What kind of connections do you have in Japan?

Knowing someone to help you settle in will probably make it a lot easier. Even better if it's a professional connection since it'll help you get a job. Familarize yourself with immigration, working laws of Japan. What's your plan if you can't find work?

Or maybe you should just consider just looking for work with a mulitnational company that has a branch in Japan or a Japanese company with a branch in your country. You might be able to work your way to transfering to Japan. You'll have atleast the support of your company in establishing yourself in the country.

I'm not trying to scare you out of your dream but you should have realistic expectations based on your current abilities. There are a lot of things to think about before making such a change in your life.
Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 15:48   Link #873
JMvS
Rawrrr!

I'm planning on going this Autumn, somewhere between the last weeks of September and the first half of October. So where would the Autumn front be in this period? Already near Tokyo or only in the North? And usually how is the light in this time of the year?

I'm asking because my sister, whom I've more or less convinced to come with me, and I are fond of photography (BTW, Kyoto in rainy May is awesome).

We are thinking about a 1-2 weeks stay, with the first part devoted to Tokyo, and the rest to elsewhere, focusing on culture and landscapes.

I am very tempted on heading West toward Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima and maybe even Nagasaki. But on the other hand, the colors of Autumn up North are quite appealing.

Maybe I'll do half with my sister, and stretch my stay a bit to visit more.

But this time I need to better plan my expenses, knowing that:
-the cheapest airplane ticket are from 1100 to 1300 CHF.
-the JR pass, depending on whether we go out of Tokyo, and how long, will be either 0, 300 or 500 CHF for no, 1 or 2 week pass.
-we might be able to crash at a relative's place in Tokyo, but for elsewhere, I want to try the ryokan experience at least once, and maybe youths' hostels (any idea on reservation delays, tariffs and foreigner policies?).
-I suppose that I'll be able to spend as much if not less on food than at home (I live in expensive Switzerland, and usually spend between 10 and 20 CHF a day on food).

Last edited by JMvS; 2010-08-26 at 16:06.
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 23:01   Link #874
Langus
Optimus Prime

Autumn doesn't usually reach Tokyo area till late September/early October. Kyoto especially is very popular for momoji (autumn leave) viewing around the 2nd weekend. This year is unseasonably hot though so the autumn changing of the leaves might be pushed back.

@ sylf - Aird made a really good post so I only have a couple of points to add.

Unless you plan on working as an English teacher during your 2 years expect to have 2kyu Japanese level proficiency before you will be considered for work at a regular Japanese company. They not only require you to know Japanese near-fluent but also "keigo" which is extra formal Japanese used in business settings.

Working as an English teacher is great, especially if you can get in on the JET Program, since the money is good. Given your comment that you want to come to Japan to learn a bit of the language, culture and have some fun, this might be your best option.

Regular companies in Japan have ridiculously long working hours and it is expected that you will work them (without overtime pay, I might add). 12 hour days are common, often followed by drinks with co-workers or a late dinner. Weekend work is also common. No one, unless they are an English teacher employed on the JET program works regular 9-5 hours in this country.

Japanese offices CAN be racist or sexist but many of them are not. I've never encountered any problems. Probably the worst thing you can do is come in with the attitude of "I am important. I have value because of my degree therefore you should all respect me!" They don't care. Everyone else working at that company has a degree so you are not special. Respect is earned here and a lot of times extra work and longer hours are thrown at you because you're lowest on the totem pole.

Generally comments or actions that can be seen as racist or sexist are the result of ignorance or a miscommunication, not ill intent. Explaining that you are offended and why, calmly, will go a long way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Keep in mind though that saying something like "Well in America we..." won't get you far. You:re not in Kansas anymore.

Overall, I've had a really pleasant experience working in Japan as an English teacher. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Old 2010-08-27, 02:00   Link #875
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Been meaning to ask if anyone encountered any Caucasian persons working in the hotel industry in the major cities in Japan, but as low-level personnel (e.g. bellboys, etc.).

I found that one really fascinating IMO. I usually see them in managerial positions and such when I travel abroad.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2010-08-27, 20:11   Link #876
~sylf~

Aird, Langus -

Thanks for all the input - see, I really do need people to give me some decent idea of what it'll be like there. I forgot to mention to you all that I'm in the science area, and anyone who's anyone in scientific academia NEEDS to know good English to publish in respectable journals. Therefore, work will probably be largely conducted in English. I only need to know enough Japanese to survive there, what level would that be? I only know basic hiragana/katakana and a few kanji now, but I certainly intend to improve that.

My connections in Japan - I have a friend there, and I am a member of a church which has establishments in Japan, so I can rely on the members there for support if I am left clueless on how to shop, lol. As for work, I would organise it before I get there by sending emails. I'm not dumb enough to fly off without having someplace to work first.

12hours sounds like a lot.. But I'm willing to do it for a few years if neccessary. I hear not all places are like that, though... you guys might just be referring to company-based work hours, I think. I'll have to figure it out if it's the same in a university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
Japanese offices CAN be racist or sexist but many of them are not. I've never encountered any problems. Probably the worst thing you can do is come in with the attitude of "I am important. I have value because of my degree therefore you should all respect me!"
Erm, I didn't mean I'd stomp on everyone as soon as I step off the plane. -- I meant that comment as in, I want to go there to actually work and learn, not to be looked down on as someone's lackey just because I'm female and should be married off at home like a good housewife. So I was asking about the attitudes there, which you seem to think are good. I'm banking on the hopes that the science industry there should have enough international workers to realise that not all people in the world think like that.

Quote:
Keep in mind though that saying something like "Well in America we..." won't get you far. You:re not in Kansas anymore.
.. I'm not American. And I can perfectly agree with your sentiment there, Americans who say that annoy me to death, thinking that everyone in the world should agree with them just because America is the centre of the world.
~sylf~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 11:04   Link #877
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Been meaning to ask if anyone encountered any Caucasian persons working in the hotel industry in the major cities in Japan, but as low-level personnel (e.g. bellboys, etc.).

I found that one really fascinating IMO. I usually see them in managerial positions and such when I travel abroad.
That's because unless you were born in Japan, one of the requirements for a work visa is that you have a university degree in your home country. It doesn't matter in what.

Odds are that someone with a university degree isn't going to be working as a bellboy or at the local convenience store. There are exceptions, of course, like people who come in via marriage or what not, but it's not common. Those lower level jobs are typically reserved for the Japanese kids who dropped out of high school.
Old 2010-08-28, 11:09   Link #878
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sylf~ View Post
I forgot to mention to you all that I'm in the science area, and anyone who's anyone in scientific academia NEEDS to know good English to publish in respectable journals. Therefore, work will probably be largely conducted in English. I only need to know enough Japanese to survive there, what level would that be? I only know basic hiragana/katakana and a few kanji now, but I certainly intend to improve that.
What kind of work are you planning on doing? Teaching at a university or research based? I know that to teach at a university most reputible schools require you to have a Masters degree. Also, pretty much any place is going to look more favourable on a candidate with a good command of written and spoken Japanese. It's not difficult to hire a translator and you'd be surprised how many people in academia speak little to no English.

Quote:
Erm, I didn't mean I'd stomp on everyone as soon as I step off the plane. -- I meant that comment as in, I want to go there to actually work and learn, not to be looked down on as someone's lackey just because I'm female and should be married off at home like a good housewife. So I was asking about the attitudes there, which you seem to think are good. I'm banking on the hopes that the science industry there should have enough international workers to realise that not all people in the world think like that.
It's good to see you're going in with the right attitude. even if everything is peaches at first there will eventually come a point where Japan will seem backwards for whatever reason and it will piss you off. That's the point really where you need to remind yourself that you're in Japan, not your home country, and find a way to deal with it. Some people deal with it better than others but it sounds like you'll be just fine.

Good luck!
Old 2010-09-01, 16:54   Link #879
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
That's because unless you were born in Japan, one of the requirements for a work visa is that you have a university degree in your home country. It doesn't matter in what.

Odds are that someone with a university degree isn't going to be working as a bellboy or at the local convenience store. There are exceptions, of course, like people who come in via marriage or what not, but it's not common. Those lower level jobs are typically reserved for the Japanese kids who dropped out of high school.
Ah. I see. The guy I met in the hotel in Kyoto had a Caucasian sounding accent and name, but I had a feeling he's been in Japan for a while.

Old 2010-09-19, 23:55   Link #880
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

In Japan right now on a study abroad (Yes, Nishinomiya, Haruhi`s city, between Osaka and Kobe; I think I even walk past the school that the author models SOS-dan`s school after every day -- argh that damn hill) and liking it so far. Question though:

How best to enjoy Osaka and Kyoto (and Kobe too maybe)?

Points of consideration:

1) I`m relatively poor.
2) Tour guide-style guided traveling isn`t exactly the most interesting. Yes, temples, woo.
3) I`ve always romanticized the Flaneur, but I`m not exactly good enough in Japanese to be walking around totally blind.
4) Ryoukan > Western Hotels, except for toilets
5) As said above, I`m sitting tight between Osaka and Kobe within walking distance of a JR station, but JR prices are quite expensive (any interesting discount options I should know?)
6) Will be here up to January. Fall and Winter, that is. What`s there to see that I shouldn`t ever miss?
7) The "Night Life" which Osaka at least is famous for isn`t for me. Alcohol = no thanks. Parties = not my jazz. Soaplands = fuck you...no, I don`t mean I actually will...ah screw it...I, I mean.... ...
8) What`s the best way to transport seven hundred tons of manga back home without exorbitant fees and customs annoyances?
9) Where to buy anime stuff for cheap in Kansai? Is Nipponbashi the right place?
10) Should I, or should I not, ever try to enter a maid/tsundere/butler(!?) cafe?

Spoiler for Points of Interest:

Last edited by Irenicus; 2010-09-20 at 00:06.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel