AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-12, 20:45   Link #41
Kirarakim

This show's art design is just absolutely gorgeous!

Anyways I enjoyed the first episode, I wouldn't call it instant love & I am not attached to any of the characters yet but of all the recent "boys in school" series this one was the only one where I thought I'll watch the next episode.

Of course this looks like it might be more than "boys in school" with the whole saving the world thing.

And as I said previously I am hoping this will be a Nakamura series that I end up loving as much as Mononoke.
Old 2012-04-12, 20:57   Link #42
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Great show! I really like the fabric like animation and bright colours I can't wait to see more of Tapioca XD
yes. The animation is surprisingly pleasing. It kind of reminds me of Arakawa Under the Bridge. And from the synopsis, it seems we can expect a certain level of strangeness and craziness from this anime. Hope it delivers!

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 21:24   Link #43
Kakkou
Tch.

Liking it very much so far. I love how bonkers it is even before the second half. Visually it's also very pleasing. <3 me some Atsuya Uki designs.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 01:26   Link #44
Tworble

This was really sweet, I am glad it is more than your usual "Slice of Life". Hana cracks me up...not sure if he is a real alien or just very very confused. Reminded me a bit of Kono Danshi for some Strange reason.
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 04:30   Link #45
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

A lot of shows that use plenty of visual imagery and metaphors have a tendency to deluge the watcher with a torrent a images and events that often just gets the watcher lost in the hectic pace. In others, well, they seem to just rejoice in their own visual cleverness even when no one else understands a damn thing.

Not this show though. It's not bizarre for bizarreness sake but all the weird events, real or not, serve a point and not just to make you wonder what sort of ridiculous dimension this story is taking place in. It doesn't go overboard with the imagery and knows when to reuse the ones that really tie into the characters, at the right place and the right time.

That feeling of drowning and suffocating, heh, well I used to have a very debilitating social anxiety that I only managed to grow out of during high school and college so I understand perfectly how Yuki feels when you suddenly freeze up, contort your face and feel like water's entering your lungs.

Haru... well Irino Miyu has done it again. I personally can't wait to see how two heavyweights, Irino's absurd genki voicing and Sugita's deep no-nonsense tone, will play off of each other. I think that's going to be one of the highlights of the series.

Anyway brilliant fusion of the everyday idiosyncrasies with... uh... alien bizarreness?

NoitaminA is on a roll this season.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 04:40   Link #46
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

The entire episode felt like the Arakawa OP except the animation isn't just the OP, its the ENTIRE EPISODE. The animation is herp derp crazy in a really cool way.
Old 2012-04-13, 05:03   Link #47
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Damn that was amazing, I actually enjoy this more than Apollon.

The art really stand-out for me, the meta-humour is working too.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:10   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Like everybody else, I was stunned by the gorgeous art direction. So colorful and beautiful.

The premise seems interesting as well, but it's hard to tell where the story will go. We've got an eccentric alien (who isn't a pretty girl with big boobs; is this truly anime?) who can talk to fishes, a socially awkward guy who often feels like he's drowning (I found the similarities between him and Kaoru in Appollon amusing), and a master fisherman. Can't forget the indian secret services and the duck either. So yeah, besides the fact the plot will be related to the sea, I have no clue where this is going.
Old 2012-04-13, 10:28   Link #49
Nikkan

Best premier for me this season so far.
The backgrounds was amazing, their house, the school, every single frame was just beautiful (Character animation, not so much). The overall summer feeling was very put together and the music was a nice tune.

As for the story, I could relate a lot to the "about to drown" feeling that Yuki has. So far I can really see this series going in a more adventure/a bunch of kids saving the world-direction, which I hope it does. The girl who laughed on the train was pretty cute too and looking at the characters on the website I think the cast is going to be great.
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 11:35   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The thing about Miyu-Miyu is that he can do this (or Chizuru) and yet, still be Kitamura Kou. You just don't see that kind of range - except for maybe Inoue Kazuhiko and Tomatsu Haruka. Is it any wonder that Miyu and Tomatsu are such a dream team?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 13:01   Link #51
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The thing about Miyu-Miyu is that he can do this (or Chizuru) and yet, still be Kitamura Kou. You just don't see that kind of range - except for maybe Inoue Kazuhiko and Tomatsu Haruka. Is it any wonder that Miyu and Tomatsu are such a dream team?
I love Miyu Miyu & I don't disagree about his range but what about Seki Tomokazu, Kamiyan, Jun Fukuyama as other examples (there are more) of male seiyuu with great range?

But I know how much you love Miyu Miyu

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-04-13 at 13:12.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 14:39   Link #52
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sugita is the funniest male seiyuu out there, I think, but I don't buy his "serious" side like I do with Miyu Miyu.

Kamiyan and Jun Fukuyama aren't in the same weight class, just MHO. Jun-kun is also great at comedy (Panda-kun!) but again, I don't buy his serious side to the same degree I do with the very best. Kamiyan does indeed have that range to be both very funny and very serious, but apart from Natsume (perhaps because he is Natsume in my mind) I'm more conscious of him "performing".

As I said, the other actors who come to mind as being able to transition from comedy to drama at the top level are Haruka Tomatsu and Kazuhiko Inoue (who, while of an earlier generation, is probably the best seiyuu in the business in pure acting and voice modulation terms).
Old 2012-04-13, 15:13   Link #53
Blaat

Hmm I do think I can buy Sugita serious side but that's me talking after watching 5 years and 251 episodes of Gintama where he has to do both on a regular basis. Although it doesn't take much for his serious side to go over the top (his role in Macross F comes to mind)
Old 2012-04-13, 18:13   Link #54
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
The entire episode felt like the Arakawa OP except the animation isn't just the OP, its the ENTIRE EPISODE. The animation is herp derp crazy in a really cool way.
A-1 can do well animated shows, shame that can't be said with Shaft.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 20:26   Link #55
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I consider Sugita to be more deadpan humor than serious personally. Still, the best female VA for me is still Nakahara Mai.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 21:37   Link #56
Kirarakim

Brought the seiyuu discussion to a more appropriate thread (I didn't want to get this thread too off topic).

HERE

Although of course talking about Miyu Miyu and Sugita would not be OT because they are actually in this series but I was getting off track.
Old 2012-04-14, 00:30   Link #57
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Come to think of it, I'm not aware of any "slice of life" series that prominently feature males. I think this will be interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Hmm ... now that you mention it I can't think of any off the top of my head either.
House of Five Leaves is largely a slice-of-life show, but kidnapping feels a lot more significant than fishing! I shared Flower's misgivings about this show when I read the description. I worried that tsuritama would be like [C], visually appealing but ultimately too lightweight to be deserving of Nakamura's talents the way the Apothecary stories were. Well, it looks like I was wrong! In Five Leaves the only ones the characters could save were themselves; here they are out to save the whole world ... through fishing! But from what though? Maybe that dragon will turn out to be a relative of Godzilla's?

I have to admit that I never could get into fishing as a hobby. Among adult men it seems like an excuse to leave the ladies behind, sit around for hours in a boat, schmooze, and drink beer. I know that there are Zen aspects to fishing, but I haven't found them. Personally I'd rather play golf. At least you get to walk around.

I wonder if Nakamura fishes?

I have to say it wasn't clear to me whether Yuki's submerged experiences are just a visual representation of his paranoia, or whether there's some sort of sci-fi/fantasy thing going on. In a show with a self-described alien who communicates with fish and a guy who communicates with a goose, it's hard to know what to make of Yuki's experiences. For all we know he might be sliding into some alternate universe where fish rule the day. It's pretty obvious there's more to Yuki than meets the eye since he catches Haru's attention right away.

Doesn't it sometime seem that Japan has a national high-school champion in just about everything under the sun?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 00:36   Link #58
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I had this one on my radar from the beginning - it just felt right for Nakamura somehow.

I admit I'm surprised to see you here, Sensei, given the leads are all in high school. Much respect for Nakamura, I take it? We do have that hip and cool Grandma at least...
Old 2012-04-14, 05:38   Link #59
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Doesn't it sometime seem that Japan has a national high-school champion in just about everything under the sun?
Elementary-school kids play mahjong, a game normally associated with gambling. If that can happen, then it seems that anything goes as far as Japanese schools are concerned.

Well, I've run out of superlatives for the string of shows I've caught up with today. Right now, the thing that bugs me is that I'm fairly certain that Tsuritama's art style has a name, drawing inspiration from architectural drafts or pop art. But I just can't put a finger on it. It's not art deco, but a style that is associated with it. You see it sometimes in American comics that echo Andy Warhol's inimitable aesthetic.

One other thing to add: "Tourism" anime seems to be a growing trend. Last season's Rinne no Lagrange touted the beaches of Kamogawa. This time, it's Tsuritama's turn to shine the light on Enoshima. And it seems it's a place for hip oldies to be, if this show is anything to go by.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 05:47   Link #60
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
So I just watched this and... wtf did I just watch? . I donno why, maybe it's the music and the bishies, but atm I'm getting somewhat of a Hetalia Axis Powers vibe.

Until I can get my head around what I just watched (I think this will require at least another rewatch to figure out what's going on) I think I'll stick with the other noitamina show for now
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing, friendship, noitamina