AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-18, 09:41   Link #81
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
*has read many of Murakami's books available in English* On-topic!

I feel so inferior when I see how many times people have rewatched Haibane Renmei. I've only gotten to five watches. I got one of my friends to watch it and, to my surprise, she did not fall asleep and actually liked it a lot.
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 14:01   Link #82
Majic
Haibanologist

Counting Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffo View Post
I feel so inferior when I see how many times people have rewatched Haibane Renmei.
I don't see it as a contest.

Some viewers may not want to watch it even once, while others may find it enjoyable time and time again. Neither preference is more valid than the other.

Probably the biggest surprise for me has been how much subtlety is contained in the series -- little hints, symbolic references and foreshadowings that only become apparent from a perspective of deep familiarity with the plot.

My advice: only watch the show as many times as you want. No more, no less.

And that's something only you can decide.
Old 2007-03-21, 19:25   Link #83
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

It's a beautiful series. It made me laugh and cry. (Yeah, I'm a guy, and I admitted I cried; leave me alone!)

Errr...the characterization made me interested in the series. Rakka and Rekki were my favorite characters.

It's a shame that this series doesn't have a larger following in regards to viewers. But sometimes, it's better that way.

And to that poster who watched the series 57 times, WOW!
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 09:41   Link #84
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wosho128 View Post
It's a beautiful series. It made me laugh and cry. (Yeah, I'm a guy, and I admitted I cried; leave me alone!)
Hey, I've cried to many series, and I'm a guy.

Hmm, I just found Haibane Renmei's OST today (Thanks, Katz); have been searching for it just for the OP song, Free Bird, which is an amazing song. By chance, I came across a vocal version of it, titled Free Bird (Mahiru no Tsuki e to) which honestly took my breath away. It basically gave even more feeling to a song that before was a little distant (and it reminded me so much of Last Exile, and Scrapped Princess). =/
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 18:48   Link #85
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
I didn't know there was a vocal version. Now I have to hunt down the image album somehow. Ah, I really want that Rakka figurine of her on the chair...
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 15:22   Link #86
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Hey, I've cried to many series, and I'm a guy.

Hmm, I just found Haibane Renmei's OST today (Thanks, Katz); have been searching for it just for the OP song, Free Bird, which is an amazing song. By chance, I came across a vocal version of it, titled Free Bird (Mahiru no Tsuki e to) which honestly took my breath away. It basically gave even more feeling to a song that before was a little distant (and it reminded me so much of Last Exile, and Scrapped Princess). =/
The vocal version is off the 'Seinaru Doukei' Image Album. It has character songs for each of the Haibane (Hikari's is my favourite) all sung by Yoko Ueno, who is the vocalist of Heart of Air who sung Blue Flow. She also did the Scrapped Princess ED, which is probably why it reminded you of it. It's a very enjoyable and relaxing album if you can find it.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 07:39   Link #87
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
She also did the Scrapped Princess ED, which is probably why it reminded you of it.
Ah, no wonder! Yes the vocals (especially the parts where it goes high) reminded me of SP; while the overall feel of the song seems to lean towards LE.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 18:43   Link #88
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I can't remember if it was here I heard about it but I've been watching the Russian AMV "Reflections" which imagines what Rakka's past life might have been like, the events leading to her suicide, and it's one of the most original and moving AMVs I've ever seen, particularly in terms of its concept, that of extending the story rather than being about the actual events in the series. In fact I feel this video should be required viewing for all Haibane Renmei fans! The lyrics to the song are very bitter though, I think on the whole I prefer watching it without the optional soft subtitles, which tend to be a distraction in a music video anyhow.

The amv won 5 awards at AkrossCon2006. You can get the video from the contest site: http://www.akross.ru/data/contest/best.html or in somewhat higher quality from http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...o.php?v=135186

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 20:41   Link #89
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
I can't remember if it was here I heard about it but I've been watching the Russian AMV "Reflections" which imagines what Rakka's past life might have been like, the events leading to her suicide, and it's one of the most original and moving AMVs I've ever seen, particularly in terms of its concept, that of extending the story rather than being about the actual events in the series. In fact I feel this video should be required viewing for all Haibane Renmei fans! The lyrics to the song are very bitter though, I think on the whole I prefer watching it without the optional soft subtitles, which tend to be a distraction in a music video anyhow.

The amv won 5 awards at AkrossCon2006. You can get the video from the contest site: http://www.akross.ru/data/contest/best.html or in somewhat higher quality from http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...o.php?v=135186
You got any other download place where it doesn't require registration to download it?
Old 2007-05-16, 21:13   Link #90
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
You got any other download place where it doesn't require registration to download it?
The akross site doesn't require registration.

Old 2007-05-17, 00:22   Link #91

It must be 3 or 4 years since i last watched this series. After listening to what a lot of you are saying, I must revisit this series to see what i missed.
100587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 07:23   Link #92
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100587 View Post
It must be 3 or 4 years since i last watched this series. After listening to what a lot of you are saying, I must revisit this series to see what i missed.
It hasn't been that long for me, but I'm thinking the same thing. I saw HR a while ago, and have been meaning to pick up the DVDs to add to my collection. I think its time to do that so I can watch it again.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 08:43   Link #93
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

At this point it must seem a little repetitive, but Haibane Renmei was the first series I truly fell in love with as well. Even now, it is (by far) my favorite series along with Figure 17. Ok granted, I have only watched it 3 times so far, and my friends always ask what it is that I see in this series, but nevertheless I just love every single minute of this show.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 10:10   Link #94
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Although generally considered one of the anime classics, I think Haibane Renmei only achieved this status by the skin of its teeth, since due to the slow start many people find their interest flagging before the story really gets going, and a series is not going to achieve classic status if people can't be persuaded to watch it in the first place. So Haibane Renmei could easily have ended up some minor cult series that few people were familiar with.

I myself nearly gave up on it, because after some initially intriguing stuff it descended into a pretty ordinary slice of life drama about half-way through episode 3. After episode 4 I was intending to drop the series, but in the end I decided to give ep.5 a go and the quirky creation myth at the end of that episode made me feel a bit better about the story, so I decided once again to watch "one more episode" before quitting.

Episode 6 of course was the turning point, and I think anyone who gets that far will be hooked. But I know many people need quite a bit of peer pressure to persevere with the series to the stage where they too appreciate the things that have led to it being hailed as a classic. It's like Charles Dickens, people get put off by the long boring passages, but if they can be persuaded to see the books through they realise that they're actually great stories. (Or so I've been told, I've always found Dickens too tedious to read more than a few chapters myself.)

Old 2007-05-17, 10:18   Link #95
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
Although generally considered one of the anime classics, I think Haibane Renmei only achieved this status by the skin of its teeth, since due to the slow start many people find their interest flagging before the story really gets going, and a series is not going to achieve classic status if people can't be persuaded to watch it in the first place. So Haibane Renmei could easily have ended up some minor cult series that few people were familiar with.

I myself nearly gave up on it, because after some initially intriguing stuff it descended into a pretty ordinary slice of life drama about half-way through episode 3. After episode 4 I was intending to drop the series, but in the end I decided to give ep.5 a go and the quirky creation myth at the end of that episode made me feel a bit better about the story, so I decided once again to watch "one more episode" before quitting.

Episode 6 of course was the turning point, and I think anyone who gets that far will be hooked. But I know many people need quite a bit of peer pressure to persevere with the series to the stage where they too appreciate the things that have led to it being hailed as a classic. It's like Charles Dickens, people get put off by the long boring passages, but if they can be persuaded to see the books through they realise that they're actually great stories. (Or so I've been told, I've always found Dickens too tedious to read more than a few chapters myself.)
I actually really liked the first few episodes from Haibane a lot mostly due to the very melancholic and moody atmosphere behind the characters in the seemingly relative ordinary fantasy-setting slice-of-life drama drama.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 11:37   Link #96

I believe the vary beginning was also slow. But i had gut feeling that static movement of plot would lead to greater things. Maybe i just had high expectations for this series.
Old 2007-05-18, 06:27   Link #97
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Really? I never had qualms with how the series started myself (Then again I'm a sucked for slow-paced series, and I don't mind at all series where practically nothing happens at all ( on a first level view) like YSL or Aria so there )
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 11:47   Link #98
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
Really? I never had qualms with how the series started myself
I know what you mean. I was surprised when I first heard complaints about the series start. I was hooked right from the opening, with Rakka falling, but serene. Then the cigarette-smoking "angel", I doubt peer pressure could have gotten me to STOP after seeing that.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 14:21   Link #99

I am currently re-watching Niea_7 and i cant help but to compare it to Haibane for its visual style(ABe) and sense of finding one self.

Has anyone else watched this series.
Old 2007-05-22, 14:41   Link #100
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Indeed, I have also watched NieA_7 and while I see similarities to Haibane it fails. The visual style is not as interesting, the story is less interesting and the insights aren't as deep. In the 2 years between these shows ABe improved greatly.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, supernatural