AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-02-11, 18:38   Link #821
raziel23

I read all the recent posts, but there is no solution for my problem. I'm using MPlayer Extended Rev8 on my G4 Powerbook with 1,67 Ghz. When I try to get subtitles displayed, I only get small barcode-like strips. Is it possible the required font is not installed on my system?
Old 2009-02-16, 21:57   Link #822
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyleow View Post
Ugh yeah, by Mplayer I meant Quicktime. Not sure how that slipped in there.

I guess that makes sense since there's no option in the Perian settings to select which h264 decoder to use.
There isn't one because it already does the right thing (and is always supposed to). I don't have access to a HW decoder equipped computer to test it, though.

Note that HW decoding may not support High Profile H.264, which covers a lot of x264 encodes.
Old 2010-01-13, 05:07   Link #823
dipalina

How to delete unnecessary files on a Mac OS X? I recently just bought a Mac Mini and got Mac OS X 10.5.6 -- The newest version. But I bought it from someone used and it still has their files on it... I dont know where they are at all! I've tried looking in tonnes of folders but I cant find them. Is there anyway to find these files? Using a program or what?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-11-08 at 00:49. Reason: removed "signature"
Old 2011-10-10, 08:17   Link #824
yourfriendrick

Note that the UTW fansub for Fate Zero has problems with Perian/Quicktime, but Perian/Quicktime seems to give better results than VLC, DivX Player, and MPlayer for OS X.
Old 2011-10-10, 14:30   Link #825
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
please don't watch fansubs on perian
Old 2012-01-13, 17:07   Link #826
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Umm I'm at a loss, so I guess I'll ask here. What player would you recommend to have both 10-bit and ordered chapters support on OSX (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)?
Old 2012-01-15, 06:00   Link #827
pigoz
YUKI.N>

You can try my mplayer2 builds here: http://code.google.com/p/mplayerosx-builds/, I provide both binaries for the mplayerosx extended gui and a standalone mplayer2 application that might appeal more to power users.
Old 2012-01-15, 06:02   Link #828
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Thanks a lot! I'll make sure to try them
Old 2012-02-18, 14:55   Link #829
Ryoujin
What?

VLC 2.0 released, I'm at work so there's not much I can do, but has anyone tried it yet?

http://www.videolan.org/

Still terrible?
Old 2012-02-18, 15:10   Link #830
sneaker

From their website:
Quote:
For Anime Fans
  • Vastly improved MKV demuxer.
  • Rewritten linked segments and ordered chapter files support.
  • Correct support for FLAC, RV and Hi10p in MKV.
  • Rewritten seeking support in cue files.
  • Various ASS subtitles improvements.
Old 2012-02-18, 21:21   Link #831
yourfriendrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoujin View Post
VLC 2.0 released, I'm at work so there's not much I can do, but has anyone tried it yet?

http://www.videolan.org/

Still terrible?

Thanks for pointing this out. I just tried it and it looks like VLC might be my main program again, since I'm not crazy about Perian/Quicktime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
From their website:
Note that the new interface takes some getting used to. I had to use the menu to toggle video playback! Shift-Command-P twice should turn the video on and off. I found that highly counter-intuitive, but now that I remember that trick, I will be testing VLC extensively.
Old 2012-02-22, 09:07   Link #832
pigoz
YUKI.N>

VLC 2.0 looks decent to watch anime fansubs. I still prefer mplayer2 without gui though, way more advanced, fast and customizable.
Old 2012-02-22, 15:20   Link #833
Ryoujin
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
VLC 2.0 looks decent to watch anime fansubs. I still prefer mplayer2 without gui though, way more advanced, fast and customizable.
I've been trying VLC these days, and I like MPlayer Extended + pigoz superbinary a lot more, maybe because I can just skip stuff with the arrows (I know I could change this on VLC as well).

Edit: I was just reading about mplayer2, seems a bit complicated/non-friendly...
Old 2012-02-22, 16:13   Link #834
Ledgem
Love Yourself

VLC 2.0 seems to be doing much better than version 1 when it comes to some of the more demanding files. I've started to use it randomly, whereas I had previously switched over to mplayer OSX extended after VLC choked on some more complicated files. If anything, VLC 2.0 has handled certain files better than mplayer OSX extended.

The only bad thing about upgrading at the moment is that Handbrake doesn't recognize VLC 2.0. For the DVD encoders who use Handbrake on the DVD directly, that can be a problem. Not sure when Handbrake is going to update to make use of the new VLC.
Old 2012-02-22, 20:52   Link #835
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Not sure when Handbrake is going to update to make use of the new VLC.
From their forums:

Quote:
HandBrake uses libdvdcss from VLC, for DVD decryption.
VLC 2.0 will not include it in a way that can be used by HandBrake.

It looks like HandBrake will support having libdvdcss installed in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, and that's it.
Fortunately the VLC folks were nice enough to create a libdvdcss .pkg installer package for us.

0.9.6 will feature a new warning which should mention libdvdcss rather than VLC.
Or a more primitive solution is to have 2 versions of VLC on your mac,the old one in "applications" so handbrake can access it and the new one stored someplace else for your playback needs.

Or you could just keep on using mplayer
Old 2012-02-22, 22:26   Link #836
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Was just given a mac mini at the office so will be trying out vlc 2.0 for mac. Previous version seemed only ok ... but it is nice to see an upgrade for vlc to begin with.
Old 2012-02-23, 15:18   Link #837
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoujin View Post
Edit: I was just reading about mplayer2, seems a bit complicated/non-friendly...
Yep, not for the average user.

The embarrassing thing is that at the moment both VLC and mplayer2 using GUI are not using the correct coefficients for color output so the video they display is actually wrong.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:53   Link #838
Ledgem
Love Yourself

It's been a few weeks, and I'm very impressed with VLC so far. There were a few videos that would cause mplayer OSX extended to lag and skip, yet VLC played them without a problem. Looks like it's going back to being my default MKV player.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate