AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-06-01, 11:16   Link #1
MovingGuy

Very complex Anime request ^^

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first request. I'm no native English-speaker so sry about language,too.
I'm currently looking for an anime, that has some similarities to Welcome to the NHK.
When I'm talking about that, I don't think of something particular like : "There has to be an Otaku in it!" , instead I want a drama where the characters rush through some development, which is comparable to the main characters in NHK (Misaki, Tatsuhiro). Some anime where the characters have suffered some trauma in the past and have to deal with their complex problems like Misaki.
Also I would like some romance in it, like the two main characters in NHK whose love is necessary for them to continue living. What I mean with that is, that the two both only seem to have each other and need oneself to cure from their suffering.
If possible there can be some comedy, action or whatever in it.
I also really like when there is comedy in the series that is based on the characters personality, but the main focus should lay on the drama.
What I don't like is ecchi and the disturbing kind of harem and hentai.
I don't really know if this is to specifcially at all ^^
Well, maybe you guys can help me with my request .
I'm looking forward to getting some recommendations and have faith in this new forum
Have a nice day !
MovingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 11:19   Link #2
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

you won't find anything like welcome to nhk with another anime. try the manga onani master kurosawa don't be fooled by the synopsis this the closest to welcome to nhk
http://myanimelist.net/manga/8967/Onani_Master_Kurosawa
go read velken's review
Old 2012-06-01, 11:29   Link #3
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

You could try Clannad. The lead has some trauma from childhood and he heals with the help of his girlfriend and her family. He helps her out of her own issues as well.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 16:49   Link #4
MovingGuy

Thank you for your recommendations I'll look into both things
Old 2012-06-01, 21:45   Link #5
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Give Fate/Stay & Amagami SS a shot! Both protagonists suffered through trauma's and have a quota and motivation that drive them to change themselves. One does it to protect people while the other wants to find love.
Old 2012-06-02, 00:38   Link #6
Stealther

You can try Clannad but imo it is really far from NHK in almost all aspects.
The closest thing I can remember would be Honey and Clover, but the humour isn't as dark, and it's mostly the "side-character" Morita.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 01:20   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealther View Post
You can try Clannad but imo it is really far from NHK in almost all aspects.
The closest thing I can remember would be Honey and Clover, but the humour isn't as dark, and it's mostly the "side-character" Morita.
Thirding on Clannad plus the AfterStory... its the best all around anime. Try True Tears, the guy has certain issues to fix....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 05:46   Link #8
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

You are definitely looking at Lovely Complex. Yup.

Also, Bokura ga Ita.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 08:45   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
So what I'm hearing is not "a show like Welcome to the NHK" but rather a show with:

1: Trauma in the character's backstory
2: Character development (probably due to having to deal with the traumatic backstory)
3: Romance
4: Comedy would be a nice plus, but not to the point of overwhelming the drama
5: No ecchi
6: Action is okay

Based on that criteria I'd suggest the following anime:

(Spoiled because just recommending them here might spoil a few things.)

Spoiler for Suggestions:

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 10:45   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll add Ghost Hound and Shion no Ou to the "traumatic background" list. Ghost Hound does have some themes around psychiatry and neuroscience, so it might be somewhat closer to NHK. That story is pretty unique, though. One other possibility might be House of Five Leaves, though it's not set in contemporary Japan.

I also recommend this tag search: http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=psychological
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 12:33   Link #11
MovingGuy

I've checked now a lot of the things recommended out and allthough there were some I already knew I now found enough anime to watch for the next weeks, so thank you all = )
Old 2012-06-13, 14:36   Link #12
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Do let us know what you think of our recommended animes!
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 09:05   Link #13
MovingGuy

Since you asked me to tell you what I think about the anime you recommended here I go ^^
I've watched the entire Fate Series and also it wasn't really what I was looking for I thout it really great and entertaining , Clannad is wonderful, can't describe the way it makes one feel.
fmab was fun to watch, too, expecially the trauma of the two brothers ... Good anime were : angel beats ( gotta rewatch it), melancholy of haruhi etc. . mirai nikki was very.....special ^^. I thought of honey and clover as soo boring that I stopped after episode 3. The same with Fullmetal Panic, but that was rather because I dislike mecha..cross game and ghoust hound come next
I enjoyed fate and angel beats the most so far the others were all very good, too
Thank you all
Old 2012-06-23, 11:11   Link #14
kitten320

Let's see. From the same creator as Clannad and Angel Beats you could try Kanon 2006. Each character has their own problems that need to be dealt with. Saying what kind of problem would be a spoiler.

If you'll like Kanon then it would be nice to check out Air. Slightly different theme but same creator again.

AnoHana - main charas have to deal with the trauma left after their friend died.

Bungaku Shoujo could fit.

I only began to watch NHK but somehow I think Denou Coil gives similar feeling. It is not romance orientated, though friendship is important. I has comedy and some characters have problems to deal with.

Great Teacher Onizuka is all about traumatic children. Onizuka tries to help each one and his ways are pretty bizarre. It is a good mix of comedy and drama with slight romance. My fave romance develops towards the end. Really worth a try despite being a bit perverted.

In Mai HiME some characters had it rough in the past but series are more action based with romance. Comedy at first but gets dramatic later.

Rozen Maiden, main chara is scared to go outside. Has to fight his fear and to help living dolls.

Not exactly what you are searching for but Chihaya had suffered a trauma in childhood and its effects hit her later on in series The iDOLM@STER. Whole issues mostly takes just 3 episodes though episode 20 was memorable. Series are mostly comedy about idols. First episode is filmed game style every other is normal. It took few episodes before I found series entertaining.
Old 2012-06-24, 03:53   Link #15
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
- I just finished Aoi Bungaku. It's based off of well-known literature and it has all you want: no fanservice, serious plot, etc.

- Kara no Kyoukai

- Durarara

- Baccano

- Kindaichi Case Files: Manga is much better but good luck finding either since translations are sparse and the official ones have been out of print.

- I'll second Mai-Hime but I got to warn you that the ending is a mixed bag for everyone.

- Speaking of which, I'll throw in Madoka.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 20:48   Link #16
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Eden of the East: although the trauma in this show is well ummm
Spoiler for Eden of the East:
He still has to over come it.... It has romance... It has comedy.. And i think it has some action...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10474

Maybe Eureka Seven: It has romance/comedy/action.. and it has some trauma...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4797

None of those are exactly the same as NHK, but they do share many things in common...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:18   Link #17
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

I guess maybe you can try freezing. The characters have suffered through some kind of trauma. It has romance. It has action, but it also has a little bit of ecchi soo.... Yeah. But I think you will like it. You can also try toradora! Or a manga called onihime vs.
Hope this helps haha
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Mangakasan is offline   Reply With Quote