AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-09-26, 13:56   Link #221
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Forcing myself to focus on volume 1 project for publication. So, the rough draft installment is late (I have gotten the outline sketched out).

In volume one, I've removed all the song lyrics, the suits for the artists simply want too damn much money to use even one line. They're insane, to put it lightly.

E-book technology means I can link to an official video or iTune reference (though that won't work for a printed version obviously). So I'm describing *how* they're singing, what the meaning of the song is, how it effects them, using the titles/authors names (which is legal).

I've tried to address all the concerns beta readers had (solving the creepy-to-female-readers stalking in the first chapter, mitigating the neediness overload, having the women seriously contemplate Blar's offer before accepting, more humor to balance the drama, more complexity to the relationships, retro-tuning continuity, etc). I think the results make for a far better story without screwing up what makes it a fun read in the first place.

Volume 2 is going to be a major overhaul project in itself, but I'll talk about that when it is time.

Anyway, the next two chapters are basically Glycerin-centric so I thought this video was appropriate. I'm not entirely sure myself which of her flags I'm going to trip. I'm going to try and let Glycerin decide.
"Suddenly I See"
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
1) Sashiko is getting better with big crowds
2) Sashiko's new 'girly' hair ... well, girly for her
3) She likes to buy expensive clothes and rip them up. She likes duct tape.
4) This is probably the most feminine voice she has.
YouTube

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-09-26 at 17:15.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 18:12   Link #222
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think I can call my Volume One done as "final draft". I've asked a few people to take a look at it but otherwise it's done. Just to be clear - that isn't what you see here in the thread. The thread is simply my initial rough drafts issued as I write them. Once in a while I'll tweak if I changed continuity seriously but mostly you're reading a ROUGH DRAFT. Just sayin'.

Putting feeders out to a few artists to commission illustrations for it. (cover art and hopefully a few b&w sketches inside). After that, I publish it and jump into marketing it. I'm willing to spend $300-$500 for a package so if any readers are artists - point me to your portfolio.

Volume Two is next and I'm trying to decide whether I can turn the second act into two volumes given the number of pages it comes in at.

For those who have read the rough draft of this series --- I'm not just trying to sell books but the published versions are substantially changed/improved from the rough drafts. It really would be worth a read if you liked the rough draft. I'm going to put the first few publish-worthy chapters out for free as a preview on the official website so you can judge for yourself.

I'm half done with the latest Volume Three chapter rough draft (the aftermath of Tsika and Blar finally making love). Will try to release it on Tuesday.

Some pics that caught my eye while looking for reference pics to provide the artists.
Tsika fashion/attitude references, Tsika&Blar echoes, Glycerin tattoo style references.

Full size pics in the album - http://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?albumid=3903

The lovely person on the left in the purple gothery is Elisanth, an alternative model who loves bizarre contact lenses - you can find her on Facebook.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-10-01 at 01:56.
Old 2013-10-01, 18:59   Link #223
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 14 ("Never Never Land") (nsfw)

Okay. Let's see if this works.

Content Not Safe For Work
TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 14 content
Author's notes:
I'm going to admit right off the bat, I'm not terrible satisfied with these recent chapters. Lots of good moments in place but I already know I'm going to be seriously overhauling them during the subsequent rewrites.

However, you're getting this for free so you get to see the rough sketches, screw ups, and ideas-that-might-need-a-blowtorch.

The first trick in writing is to WRITE SOMETHING DOWN so you're not staring at blank paper. This chapter needs a lot more connective tissue but there's enough here for release. Astute readers may notice some paragraphs that refer back in time to moments I'm going to deal with in earlier chapters in the redrafting phase.

edit: I'm using the same descriptive words too often ... too much "lunging", for example.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-10-04 at 03:36. Reason: fighting with meta tags
Old 2013-10-03, 21:23   Link #224
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Author Notes and relevant videos.
===================================
Have an interlude of videos relevant to the story in Volume 3 while I make final passes on the next chapter.

I've gotten a sudden silence from all the beta readers. Well, not quite. One said he'd rage-quit if Glycerin died. I guess that means I've made some characters at least one person cares about

- - - - - -

These are all representative of Tokyo performances and the sort stage garb people are wearing. I'm getting a little better at Magma, Reaper, and the other RockBand tools but quite a lot is just random and you have to run the sequence several times to get one that works. The avatar collisions make me tear my hair out (guitar through the head, people running through each other, microphone face stabs). Harmonix is hinting they might do a Rock Band 4 once the console wars settle down. I'd be up for that.

I was given the game-tool RockSmith for my birthday - it's quite a lot of fun (plug my real bass guitar in and it's "finger memory time" learning tunes). The game automagically adjusts the difficulty as you demonstrate you can or cannot handle note sequences.

Videos, all pretty much listenable by people of any musical tastes.

Glycerin covering "Born This Way". The tune just seems to synchronize with her.
YouTube

Glycerin and Blar sing an anthem, Amaryllis.
YouTube

Tsika wants to be brought to life.
YouTube

Melodic metal, a favorite with the Lost Girls.
YouTube

Still Alive?
YouTube

Sashiko growling at life, but so far it isn't autobiographical. She's mostly grown out of her stage fright. She throws up AFTER the performance now.
YouTube

Old 2013-10-04, 16:23   Link #225
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 15 ("Suddenly I See")

And here we go ...

Volume 03 Chapter 15 ("Suddenly I See")

TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 15 content

Author note: I *think* I mixed horror, pathos, drama, and comedy the way I like. May stare at it a few days.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-10-05 at 01:20.
Old 2013-10-07, 08:01   Link #226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Short intermission into the mind of Sasaki and her imaginary "rock star" daydreams (probably acted out in a karaoke room or her shower) -

Sasaki (light) - cover of Thug Love
YouTube

Sasaki (dark) - cover of 'Romancing the Ordinary'
YouTube

And a quick split of classic rock given Glycerin feels a little Thunderstruck at this point in the story.
YouTube
Old 2013-10-11, 14:46   Link #227
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 16 ("Walk, Idiot, Walk!")

Volume 03 Chapter 16 ("Walk, Idiot, Walk!")

TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 16 content
Author notes: This chapter seems a bit mild in comparison I guess. I'm pasting story segments onto the storyline. There may be pacing issues to address but I'd rather not skip over too much of the storyboard. Whatever, I had fun writing the scenes

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-10-13 at 16:21.
Old 2013-10-14, 14:33   Link #228
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I put together a few videos of "It Really ISN'T Rocket Science" for fun.

You can see Toshi the yakuza drummer. Hank covers a couple of tunes. Sashiko is starting to glam up to fit in with the group's style better.

Tsika - celebrity skin
YouTube
Hank - the stand (hilarious song)
YouTube
Sashiko - disposable teens
YouTube
Hank - harder to breathe
YouTube
The videos could use some trimming but I'm making yet one more pass through the "to be published" version of volume 1, starting the rewrite of volume 2, and of course, glaring at the outline for the next chapter in volume 3.

Trying to give labor time precedence to getting volume 1 onto the ebook shelves. I had originally thought I'd have it out in September but illustrators are hard to collar and get results out of even when I wave money at them. Talking to some local artists now.
Old 2013-10-21, 23:49   Link #229
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Bashing away on the next rough draft chapter of volume 3. Look for it tomorrow or Wednesday.

Volume 1 is "ready to publish" I think outside of illustrations. I've edited it until eyes were bleeding, all feedback taken.

Random real life reference pics for some of the characters:
Images
real life reference pics

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-10-22 at 00:18.
Old 2013-10-24, 17:43   Link #230
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 17 ("All I Wanna Do")

Volume 03 Chapter 17
“All I Wanna Do (Is Have Some Fun)” – Sheryl Crow

(edit: *implicit* NSFW moments, just sayin')

TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 17 content
Author notes: Trying some new stuff. The radio interview transcript segment seemed like a less cumbersome way of handling that event. I have to stew on the Sashi/Hank sequences - I'd like to make them more comedic even though they're pretty serious moments about boundaries. I'll just remind folks this whole thread is made up of ROUGH DRAFTS. The edited/rewritten about-to-be-published e-books are a damn sight cleaner and better reads.

Edit: Oh, the "Heavy Metal Rising" is an actual Japanese metal radio show and they interview artists. The questions are nearly all from actual interviews (as are the sorts of silly answers). I took 3 or 4 interviews and used them for references for the kinds of answers musicians tend to give when asked silly questions.

Anyway, had fun writing Glycerin's little adventure in the playground and her part of the radio show. She can have my wallet, too.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-10-25 at 14:02.
Old 2013-10-26, 15:04   Link #231
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Author's note: For new readers, I am substantially rewriting the entire series from scratch to be published commercially. Nothing will change in this thread so don't let it stop anyone from reading. The commercial version tells the story in a much more professional way. Consider this thread a forum rough draft preview. There's enough change in what I'm writing that I hope readers will be interested in the new version when it is available for sale.

Changes include order of events, dialog, tweaking motivations for character actions, new scenes, expansion of scenes and reductions of others that didn't work so well.

For example, in the most recent chapter, I don't think I set the stage well enough for Hank and Sashi's boundary checks on what was okay for sex. The rewrite will include several building sequences where it's more clear how their relationship is constructed, building and why it leads to that moment.

Edit: Just read through the first few rough draft chapters published here ... yeah, the to-be-published version is quite a bit better, more nuanced ... but that's the way it should be between first drafts and final products. Hard for me to believe anyone thought the rough drafts were worthy of comment.

Volume One - Forming of the Band, Early Days, Who are these people?
Volume Two - The music writing retreat, Early Gigs, Adventures, Rock Festivals
Volume Three - The Japan Tour, Adventures, Crazy Romances.

Volume One is ready to be published (illustrations in progress ... maybe). Currently Rewriting Volume Two (may end up being two volumes?)
Volume Three - still in rough draft in process.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-10-26 at 20:04.
Old 2013-10-27, 02:11   Link #232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I hate to upset anyone hoping for a new chapter but I do believe I have a book cover for volume one. Taking a cue from people who rant at me that "live people" might be a better eyecatch (at first at least). I purchased images rights of one of my favorite alternative artists, elisanth. She has several pics that just scream "Glycerin" or "Tsika". So, unless something else comes up - here's the cover of Volume One as I prepare it for the e-book world.

Edit: I dropped the "!" in the title. That can mess with search tools. And ... yeah, that's my meatbag-space name. Bleh.
Images
book jacket cover prototype

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-10-30 at 15:17.
Old 2013-10-31, 17:01   Link #233
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Getting the book ready for Smashwords (for B&N, Kobo, etc) and CreateSpace (for paperback copies) has been a pain in the ass. Each has very different formatting and tag requirements.

Worse, I've been using Openoffice for years -- none of the publishing entities play well with it. Finally bit the bullet and bought Microsoft Word (have i said I hate the new win8 version? Well ... getting used to it but out of the box it makes some terrible UI decisions).

I will say Office does professional editing better, much easier to attack, replace, adjust format tags, manage revisions, and it uses the right units in styles and whatnot.

I ran right into a huge complaint many users of 2003 and newer express -- the tendency for MSWord to lock files from editing for stupid lame reasons (like using a preview pane in the file manager). Google search got me workarounds but they are just that workarounds.

I'll go back to weekly chapter updates once Volume One is safely up on the shelves at Amazon and all the other e-book retailers. Expect a new chapter rough draft Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I hope these rough drafts do lure the readers to buy the e-books or even the paperbacks. Check the previews out to see how the story has evolved from those early rough drafts. Amazon lets you look at the first 20% of the book online for free.

http://www.amazon.com/It-Really-Rock...rocket+science

If you'd rather have a physical paperback, currently available here at CreateSpace and now on Amazon.com:
https://www.createspace.com/4500244
http://www.amazon.com/Really-Rocket-...rocket+science

If anyone "likes" my author page on Facebook, the goblins will love you. https://www.facebook.com/bhbranham

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-11-01 at 05:19.
Old 2013-11-01, 17:11   Link #234
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay, the first volume is out on Amazon (paperback, kindle), Createspace (paperback), and is winding its way onto Barnes&Noble (Nook), Apple, and Kobo e-reader sites Onto editing volume two ... and shameless self-promotion ... and social media mucking ... and bleh.

Anyway, also need to keep pumping out rough drafts to finish out the tour of Japan and get the band back to Portland.

Videos of the week, they have funny bits and shouldn't offend the ears (no metal or thrash).

This is late in the tour of Japan, a little after Blar and Glycerin recover from injuries
"Rock of Ages"
YouTube

Sashiko only throws up AFTER the performance now on a big stage about halfway through the Japan Tour.
Japanese rock fans seem to be enthralled by all women groups who have spectacular guitar/drum skills.
"Take It Off"
YouTube

Glycerin and Blar are injured at one point in the tour. This is Glycerin's first time back on stage after the incident.
"Kiss Them For Me"
YouTube

Flashback video, from a gig in Portland before the Rock Festival, note the clothing.
"Are You Gonna Be My Girl?"
YouTube
Old 2013-11-05, 04:01   Link #235
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I am currently banging my head on my desk trying to come up with entertaining moments to connect point A with point B on the storyboard outline, so I'll post some of my research into Glycerin's state of mind. Dissociative Identity Disorder (what used to be called Multiple Personality Disorder) is still poorly understood - to some degree because it manifests rarely in ways where it can be studied.

In other words, yeah, not only did I research the music business for this series but also psychology, including DID, PTSD, and the psychiatric effects of parental loss in early years - particularly violent loss.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/d...ality-disorder
http://www.psychologytoday.com/condi...ality-disorder
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disord..._disorder.aspx
http://psychcentral.com/lib/dispelli...sorder/0009785
(and about a half dozen other studies, articles, and papers.

Brain imaging studies have corroborated identity transitions in some patients. DID was called Multiple Personality Disorder until 1994, when the name was changed to reflect a better understanding of the condition—namely, that it is characterized by a fragmentation, or splintering, of identity rather than by a proliferation, or growth, of separate identities.DID reflects a failure to integrate various aspects of identity, memory and consciousness in a single multidimensional self. Usually, a primary identity carries the individual's given name and is passive, dependent, guilty and depressed. When in control, each personality state, or alter, may be experienced as if it has a distinct history, self-image and identity. The alters' characteristics—including name, reported age and gender, vocabulary, general knowledge, and predominant mood—contrast with those of the primary identity. Certain circumstances or stressors can cause a particular alter to emerge. The various identities may deny knowledge of one another, be critical of one another or appear to be in open conflict.
Old 2013-11-05, 23:06   Link #236
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Tsika wardrobe elements - reference images. Frilly, dark, goth. (still banging my head on the chapter release).
Very good reasons that Glycerin and Blar are both smitten by the little doll. Seriously I'll credit this little jewel of a model once I discover her name

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-11-06 at 16:20.
Old 2013-11-08, 19:39   Link #237
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll go back to weekly chapter updates once Volume One is safely up on the shelves at Amazon and all the other e-book retailers. Expect a new chapter rough draft Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I hope these rough drafts do lure the readers to buy the e-books or even the paperbacks. Check the previews out to see how the story has evolved from those early rough drafts. Amazon lets you look at the first 20% of the book online for free.

http://www.amazon.com/It-Really-Rock...rocket+science

If you'd rather have a physical paperback, currently available here at CreateSpace and now on Amazon.com:
https://www.createspace.com/4500244
http://www.amazon.com/Really-Rocket-...rocket+science

If anyone "likes" my author page on Facebook, the goblins will love you. https://www.facebook.com/bhbranham

Apologies, I ran into a huge clusterfuck with the e-book editions. Somewhere in the conversion process, my navigating data (ToC stuff) threw up and people were buying books with no way to jump to chapters. So I stayed up all night, reconstructing the file from scratch. Since it was an all night whiskey drama, I also corrected a lot of small errors that had been collecting in my OCD file of fixing. Anyway, the new Kindle version is up, the files have been resubmitted again to Smashwords (Nook, Apple, etc) and I put a hardcover version up for sale on Lulu (mostly for grins).

Buy the books/e-books, "like" the pages, follow the tweets, etc. I appreciate everyone who has been reading the rough drafts and especially those who actually had feedback to offer. Seriously, the final version is much much better - like the difference between a pencil sketch on a napkin and full color comic. Preview the book at Amazon and see.

Just in case, anyone is crazy and wants a hardcover: http://www.lulu.com/shop/brad-branha...-21290602.html

Okay, back to writing the next Volume Three chapter of "It Really IS Rocket Science, Go Go Godzilla"
Old 2013-11-11, 16:55   Link #238
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nearly done with the newest rough draft chapter. I have to say this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Finally got a version of Volume One approved through the mill. Over the next few weeks, it will be automatically distributed to major online retailers such as Apple (distribution to iBookstores in 51 countries), Barnes & Noble (US and UK), Sony, Kobo, Flipkart (India's largest online bookseller), Diesel eBook Store, eBooks Eros (operated by Diesel), Baker & Taylor (Blio and the Axis360 library service), Page Foundry (operates retail sites Inktera.com and Versent.com; and operates Android ebook store apps for Cricket Wireless and Asus), and other distribution outlets. Additionally, Kobo powers the ebook stores of multiple ebook retailers around the world. Kobo connects with WH Smith in the UK, FNAC in France and Portugul, Livraria Cultura in Brazil, Angus & Robertson in Australia, Bookworld in Australia, Indigo in Canada, Collins in Australia, Feltrinelli in Italy, Libris in the Netherlands, Paper Plus in New Zealand, Play in Great Britain, Rakuten in Japan, Buy.com (now Rakuten) in the US, Whitcoulls in New Zealand, and more.

That's about as close to world-wide access as it gets. Now comes the really serious marketing aspects (as I whack away on editing Volume Two "Surfing With The Alien" for release).
Hopefully, some of you out there will buy the book or the e-book to pat me on the head for my street performance here on Animesuki. Seriously, it's quite a lot better a read At least recommend it to friends - at the moment I just want eyeball exposure.

I'm going to have a sale in a week or so get some momentum going. I'll notify readers here when it happens. It will either be a discount coupon just for AS readers or a general sale.
Old 2013-11-12, 04:35   Link #239
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 18 ("Tattooed Love Boys")

Okay. Stupid metatags are throwing up on me. Using spoiler tag. See? I haven't run away! Just slower with all the parallel tasks.

Volume 03 Chapter 18
Spoiler for vol 03 ch 18 content:

Author notes: Need to expand the Tower Tour and the Akihabara visit. Tagged for such in the rewrite. This does hit the major bullet points of the story board here. Now on to the rock festival and then back home to the US to close out Volume Three of the rough drafts.

At the moment, the storyboard is implying to me about five volumes for the entire tale. However, volume Two is quite large. Stewing on that.
edit: I think I've figured it out ... Gonna have Sashiko show up before the country fair tour so she can appear in volume two, then I can end volume two after the country fair tour. That brings the second volume to a close with a manageable number of pages and at the end of an adventure.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-11-18 at 13:25.
Old 2013-11-18, 13:36   Link #240
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Current tasks:
1) volume two edit/rewrite in progress for publishing, some major story segment shifting to adjust the volume to be recommended size for paperback.
2) Working with a model to use on the book cover for volume two - I've found someone that is a dead ringer for Tsika. She's a Polish model, fairly new at the business and seems excited about the project. We've worked out the cost and are trading details now.
Images
a real life Tsika
3) Marketing/promoting Volume 1 (currently on shelves and e-book stores). Even if you don't buy the book, I'd appreciate anyone doing REVIEWS of the story at the Kindle or Nook stores. Just write what you thought of the story.
4) Working volume 3, the japan tour.
I figure the next chapter will be out Thursday unless I'm interrupted. That chapter begins the Hokkaido part of the Japan tour with the festival.

video time, I like this video mostly because Kpau is going batshit crazy on the drums. Hair flying, sticks all over the place, cymbals careening.
YouTube

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-11-18 at 14:22.

Tags
comedy, drama, light novel, music, romance