AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-08, 19:09   Link #261
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Not really doesn't mean none last I remembered. I'm saying the emotional comfort takes a higher priority over the other feelings, be it romantic or not.
You know a conversation/discussion is in trouble when people start arguing over semantics, so I'll let this go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Like I said, he is not dense as a rock, only thick towards Ami's signals. He is very perceptive towards Taiga though, which in fact just shows how much more important one is over the other in Ryuji's mind (ie he pays way more attention to Taiga than to Ami).
And that's your proof he's dense? Because he pays more attention to someone who's obviously more important to him than the other girl? I mean, really?

Old 2009-01-09, 06:40   Link #262
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Well actually, he is dense in that he uses linear logic, which works better for taiga beca=she is linear. Ami is not, more subtle i guess. but her rational is more circular.
Linear - A+B=C
Circular = B+C=A or D , A+C=B

Something like that, its been awhile since i took my psych classes, but what i am fundamentally saying is that shes hard to predict which we all know, but Ryuji thinks of hyer in linear terms, so he misses alot of signals yes.

Though if you are trying to stir up people who like Ami as a character, dont. Its been done.
Old 2009-01-09, 08:38   Link #263
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

You assume too much, alu546.
I actually prefer Ami over the other girls, as you can see for yourself regarding my previous posts in this very thread. My problem is with the "dense" qualification for the male protagonist. And I don't buy your linear/fuzzy logic argument because, honestly, that would mean Ryuji wouldn't "get" Minorin, either. So, you can drop that, now.

And, actually, this is going completely off-topic, so I'll just lay low for now. Buh-bye.

Old 2009-01-10, 17:52   Link #264
Voitan

He's dense when a lot of other people thinks he's missing what a lot of other people would pick up.

It's really a word people use to describe someone else who they think is just not getting it.

It's a relative term IMO.
Old 2009-01-11, 04:48   Link #265
wistfulloner

I wouldn't really call Ami mature. From the anime, she's still trying to find herself, and still confused as to whether she really is mature and grown-up or not. She may sound mature, but isn't that just a facade like everything else before Ep14? People who know her best, like Ryuji, can also say she is childish, even though everyone else who is in awe of her thinks otherwise. Quickly pressing for coffee on the vending machine while Ryuji was about to take the juice purely out of spite does not count as mature in my book.
Old 2009-01-11, 05:17   Link #266
Voitan

She is and isn't at the same time.

Mainly when it comes down to what she can't get what turns her into a little girl.

In the other aspects of her life, the stuff other people see her as, she seems and is mature.
Old 2009-01-11, 05:19   Link #267
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well yeah, she is kind of similar to Horo from Spice and Wolf in a sense that she can act mature but then do something childish on the next second.
Old 2009-01-11, 06:09   Link #268
TobiaSR32
Jedi Familiar

Send a message via Yahoo to TobiaSR32
Ami is my favorite female character. She's probably the most realistic of them, very 3-dimensional.

I love how she can switch between the different sides of her personality.
Old 2009-01-11, 17:46   Link #269
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiaSR32 View Post
Ami is my favorite female character. She's probably the most realistic of them, very 3-dimensional.

As a character, she isn't easy to peg down as to what character archtype she is, such as tsundere, moeblob, comedy relief, etc...
Old 2009-01-11, 18:51   Link #270
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiaSR32 View Post

Definitely agree. I'm really starting to like her...a lot. Such a huge improvement since day 1. It really would be nice to see ryuu end up with ami...as i bet ami is sacrificing quite a bit to stay there with ryu.
Old 2009-01-11, 18:53   Link #271
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Definitely agree. I'm really starting to like her...a lot. Such a huge improvement since day 1. It really would be nice to see ryuu end up with ami...as i bet ami is sacrificing quite a bit to stay there with ryu.
Ryuuji isn't the only reason she's staying there. She's staying there because she has friends too.
Old 2009-01-11, 18:59   Link #272
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Ryuuji isn't the only reason she's staying there. She's staying there because she has friends too.
i know...but i think ryuuji is a major "factor" in her whole decision to stay. Friends like taiga and w/e, sure...but i think she really needs someone like ryuuji in her life
Old 2009-01-12, 15:21   Link #273
Voitan

Y'know, I'm half wanting her to make a big speech or monologue on how she's moving on from her infatuation with Ryuuji.

Guy isn't noticing her, there's still fish in the pond, granted none in the show.
Old 2009-01-12, 17:34   Link #274
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
Y'know, I'm half wanting her to make a big speech or monologue on how she's moving on from her infatuation with Ryuuji.

Guy isn't noticing her, there's still fish in the pond, granted none in the show.
Well, if that continues to be the case, unless she really just flat out says, ryuuji i love you, and this ain't a joke...i think he'll take her more seriously

She's like the little boy who cried wolf in a sense...because she always toys around with ryuuji, he's probably thinking, what would a beautiful idol like her want with me except to toy with my emotions?

Unless she fully gets him to understand that she truly does love him, i don't think he'll show much attention. But i think if she does this, he'll be stuck btwn a rock and a hardplace if u know what i mean..so many good girls around him
Old 2009-01-12, 17:41   Link #275
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

We have no idea as of yet if Ami actually likes him or not.

What we do know is that she appreciates his attention and kindness. That isn't always the same thing as "love".
Old 2009-01-12, 18:45   Link #276
typhonsentra

Quote:

For that to happen she'd first have to admit to liking him in the first place. I can see that happening in the future as it seems the author doesn't like to have things left unsaid, but the question is whether or not she'll tell him directly. I think it's pretty clear she has an interest in him but since the vacation at the beach house she also realizes that he isn't interested in her that way.
Old 2009-01-13, 09:54   Link #277
Kushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
We have no idea as of yet if Ami actually likes him or not.

What we do know is that she appreciates his attention and kindness. That isn't always the same thing as "love".
When Ami told Ryuuji outright "Minori doesn't suit you, you're better off with someone with like me" doesn't imply that she likes him... then I don't know what else she has to do o_O
Old 2009-01-13, 10:05   Link #278
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
When Ami told Ryuuji outright "Minori doesn't suit you, you're better off with someone with like me" doesn't imply that she likes him... then I don't know what else she has to do o_O
perfect moment got ruined by stupid cry in the background...
Old 2009-01-13, 14:33   Link #279
Voitan

I haven't read the novels all the way, but I can understand people having a more set impression of how Ami views Ryuuji in either way depending on who's had more exposure to either the anime or the light novels.

I got into Toradora through the anime and I'm guessing here that many who assume Ami is interested in Ryuuji is because of the anime being their first introduction to the series.

Novel readers as I understand it have a solid impression of her just being a mediator of sorts, with no definitive evidence that she's interested in Ryuuji or not.
Old 2009-01-13, 21:46   Link #280
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
I haven't read the novels all the way, but I can understand people having a more set impression of how Ami views Ryuuji in either way depending on who's had more exposure to either the anime or the light novels.

I got into Toradora through the anime and I'm guessing here that many who assume Ami is interested in Ryuuji is because of the anime being their first introduction to the series.

Novel readers as I understand it have a solid impression of her just being a mediator of sorts, with no definitive evidence that she's interested in Ryuuji or not.
I haven't read the novels...but given what i hear, i like how they're giving more insight into Ami's feelings...makes you like the 3 girls much more.

If that really is the case though, i PERSONALLY hope that the anime will be different from the novel (ending wise - hehe still wishing for ami to get with ryuuji ;P)

Anyway, i just think it's nice how they're sorta balancing out the characters...who ever ryuuji ends up with, i'll feel kinda bad for the other two girls...not so much taiga who seems to have kitamura right now...but i'd feel bad for ami the most just because she doesn't seem to have someone in the anime(who can view her as just a normal human being/doesn't idolize her like crazy)...
Closed Thread

Tags
characters