AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-08-27, 22:04   Link #481
wao
OK.

Yeah, I figure that v5 is the one which doesn't have any sort of auto-updating function. It's always v5 which is the oldest and has all those problematic things in it... I figured v1-4 would be like closed beta tests or something that the public didn't get to use but they rolled out v5 soon.

The v5 one probably suffered from major design flaws as you said... no auto-updating, and no easy way of connecting to all v5 spaces and updating them in one go. They can't flag themselves so that you can just pick them all out immediately and update them...

I wonder whether this aspect of the story will feature largely in the story or not though. If Yasako and co meet the creators of the network in any way it'd be like Lain all over again or something.

Saturday needs to hurry up and come here now.
Old 2007-08-28, 05:31   Link #482
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
All of this sounds a major programming flaw on part of the Dennou network creators with the cyberspace being faulty by design.
Well........since you've already pointed out how most of this technology already exists -- albeit in a primitive state -- you don't really need much to join the dots and see where they all lead:

Spoiler for the obvious culprit:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 10:26   Link #483
wao
OK.

But what is he going to do with all that old space?

By the way, the official site updated with ep 14's preview: http://www.tokuma.co.jp/coil/story/14.html

The preview is pretty much the same as what I might have mentioned some time back. With a bit extra.
Spoiler for ep 14:

Nekome is basically the guy who was taking photos during the end of episode 10 and during episode 11, and he had like a few seconds' cameo as a background guy in the burger shop in episode 1 (so did Tamako, incidentally) I think he plays a significantly different role in the novel, which I still haven't reading the first book of (I don't have the second)

Now the problem is I was looking through some reactions on the recap that had aired last week along with the preview for episode 14, but I am distressed that everyone keeps saying that it's going to be a half-recap episode itself. Do not want. Apparently this is because much of the preview was recycled footage - and if you've noticed, Akira and co. have been conspicuously absent from the past few episodes, so if they're going to catch up with their viewpoint of the same things happening again... ah dammit.

But it'll be storyboarded by Iso and another guy, and Inoue is sakkan'ing it after all, plus there were new images, so I'll just sit back and rejoice at Coil returning anyway.
Old 2007-08-28, 13:55   Link #484
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Does anyone find it strange that a series like Dennou Coil is getting a full-blown 2-coul treatment?

I mean, not that I am complaining. I fact, I am quite happy for Iso and myself.

However, I do find it curious that an auteur series like Dennou Coil, created by what is basically an amateur director, is on the receiving end of such publicity. Usually, I would assume that a single coul is all that could be financed for something that is obviously not geared toward the mainstream audience.

Whom did Iso have to bribe to get 26 episodes in a prime time slot on NHK? Does he know something bad that a Bandai exec did? 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 19:35   Link #485
wao
OK.

I wish I knew too, but actually even if it doesn't seem aimed at a general audience, don't you think it's quite suited? I mean, it's something you can show kids who otherwise hate anime and I think they could still like it. It doesn't feature anything too moe or violent or whatever that would turn off parents. And there apparently are some actual kids who do watch the show, too... It's not merchandise-oriented like Pretty Cure or anything, but I think it does reasonably well. The ratings show otherwise (IIRC they were hovering from around 3 - 3.5%), but I had heard NHK ratings aren't trustable (no idea if it has anything to do with the fact that everyone has to pay for NHK bills)

Anyway, the project actually got started off for real because of this producer called Mitsue Sanagi from Tokuma. Iso had shown his proposal to various producers/studios - it was visually-driven, I believe, as one would expect from someone like Iso, but nothing really happened. I can only imagine that from then onwards she was just so thrilled about it that she wanted to make sure it got produced properly. Perhaps she thought it had so much potential that she could somehow get 2 cours out of it from any financial investors. Well, isn't that what a producer is supposed to do...

And while one would think it costs a helluva lot of money to get all those godly animators together in one place, I suspect a good number of them are there because it's Iso who's heading it (and under Iso we have Honda and Inoue). After all, didn't they have a public call for animators and animation runners on their site? It's clear that it isn't the usual Madhouse work, in fact if you go see the studio threads on 2ch (where I am dead sure some staff members write) they look at Madhouse's various projects for the year and write off Dennou Coil as "Iso's group of outside dudes". Or something like that. Though it was some time since I read that so pardon me if I got it wrong.

Unlike, I think, Seirei no Moribito, NHK has a direct hand in the production of this and perhaps they were fine with it taking up an amazingly prime timeslot and running for so long, but I guess the price that has to be paid for that is the !@)@$(ing baseball interruption and recap.

Okay, actually I don't know a thing I really wish I knew.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:40   Link #486
flick
電脳コイル'd

Sorry I've dropped off the face of the earth... need to catch up on this thread! I can't believe there was a massive gap between the Denno Coil episodes though... I endedup watching some terrible dubs of Dragonball Z on Youtube to tide me through
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 23:38   Link #487
kauldron26
Med Student

ive been wondering about this anime... i dont know why but it just sort of reminds me of the magnificent Noein. is it as good? or rather, what are the good aspects of this show?
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 05:47   Link #488
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
it's not as dark and grim as Noein though... but they're similar in that they feature realistic child protagonists dealing with believable familial & friendship issues, far above average production values, and (reasonably well-conceived) otherworldly science fiction interrupting the mundane lives of kids... and as an extension feature some wildly creative battles and adventures. However the similarities end there. Normally I'd say "watch the first episode for a good idea of the show", but Dennou has slowly been ramping from its initially light-hearted adventures to some darker, heavier themes.

Anyway they're both well-made and unusually sophisticated shows, and Dennou by any measure is a great series so far.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 06:10   Link #489
wao
OK.

Oi oi, it seems that when those people on 2ch said that last week was an introduction to the show and this week is the real recap...

THEY WERE RIGHT
I just looked at a set of screenshots for it.

Still - it's apparently a very well done recap and there are new scenes at the end; apparently
Spoiler:

but this means almost no new developments for an entire month. Let me just go and be depressed in a corner for a while.
Old 2007-09-01, 08:06   Link #490
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Errrr... what? Considering the staff involved in the episode, a recap would be... really disappointing...
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 08:22   Link #491
wao
OK.

Well, I only got to watch the first half of it, but what happens is that
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-01, 08:32   Link #492
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

W.... T.... F.... ?!?!

Another semi-recap?

Has the DC team entered a Wolf's Rain-like production tailspin?
Old 2007-09-01, 08:38   Link #493
wao
OK.

I don't think it's the team themselevs that's at fault here though, more likely the TV station. Anyway it seems like last week was actually more of a recap done by the station themselves (that's why it doesn't count have an episode number) whereas this week is the actual one that's part of Dennou Coil. I don't remember much about Wolf's Rain but apparently the recaps in that were also because of the TV station (Fuji TV). At leas they're not throwing in recaps like GSD apparently had because of production problems; it seems like production has already been finished for Coil and anyway you can see so far they haven't had any sign of being rushed in any way.

It just really sucks that they had those 2 weeks of !@#$ing baseball because then we wouldn't need a. two weeks of nothing and b. a boring TV station-produced recap, and the actual recap within the episode itself wouldn't be so bad, because there's new things in it after all. But having gone without any new Dennou Coil for 3 weeks just makes it a lot worse.

I've yet to see what happens in the second half though, some people commented that it was so exciting they forgot it was a recap anyway, but I really have no clue and only wish to find out by watching the thing.
Old 2007-09-01, 09:33   Link #494
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Hey, this is a pretty good recap!

Edit: Wow, that was a killer ending for a semi-recap ep. Arghagrhaghhh... one... more... week.... -_-

Last edited by duckroll; 2007-09-01 at 09:48.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 19:00   Link #495
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Hey, wao, do you know if Dennou Coil is planned for 26 episodes, or 23+1 (to account for the out-of-sequence recap and two week hiatus)?

I assume it's the latter, since broadcasting schedules are ironclad and nobody usually gets spare weeks to make up for scheduling conflicts with baseball or whatever, but I was wondering if there's any concrete information...
Old 2007-09-03, 20:48   Link #496
wao
OK.

It's planned for 26 episodes. Including all the breaks. Which means it'll go on until November, during my exams... Here: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/coil/ 25 minutes x 26 episodes. From NHK themselves, so as concrete as concrete can get.

Remember this show started pretty late in the season anyway, so it has a rather irregular schedule to begin with. I'm suspecting NHK gave them the prime time slot but in return they have to deal with interrupted schedules that don't fit with the rest of the season.
Old 2007-09-04, 05:15   Link #497
towerwarlock

Video Codec?

Does anyone know what video codec is being used by Anonymous? I am having a heck of a time converting the video files to a format that can be put onto dvd.
towerwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 08:14   Link #498
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

h.264

Try the x.264 encoder or NeroDigital for conversion.
Old 2007-09-04, 09:31   Link #499
leofish
Mia 'cova

out of curiosity, are we still in the dark as to what the limited edition DVD1 includes? as in extras wise; debating whether or not I want to order the LE :X
leofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 09:42   Link #500
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leofish View Post
out of curiosity, are we still in the dark as to what the limited edition DVD1 includes? as in extras wise; debating whether or not I want to order the LE :X
http://coil.atwiki.com/page/Releases

The LE most worth getting is obviously the 1st volume.

Tags
science fiction