Spoiler for 18:
Old 2007-10-06, 03:07   Link #664
Jimmy C

Spoiler:
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 03:53   Link #665
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
I'm going with Wao on the idea that it simply costs a ton of money to deploy a program as sophisticated as Searchmaton into augmented reality space. You can see how the kids in the show have to pay to repair their damaged personal data whenever they get attacked. I'm guessing that if they kept a backup of all their stuff on a physical medium, they'd still have to pay to re-upload it. That's how it works in (AFAIK) Second Life -- like, let's say if it were possible to maliciously destroy a building along with all the textures and scripts and other assets related to it, you (the land-owner) would have to pay money to Linden Labs to re-upload several of those assets back into the virtual world of SL.

...So with a busted Searchmaton sitting in the lab, you probably have to spend time to assess the damage (labor costs, $$$) and decide which assets have to be re-uploaded (upload/deployment fee, $$$), and maybe re-configure Searchmaton much like a fresh install of Windows or whatever to work with the virtual environment properly (more labor costs, $$$). This all assumes that they don't control their own servers though, otherwise they would be like paying themselves to redeploy their own backups on their own network.

Regardless, in all likelihood we're just making up some sh-t in order to justify an aspect of the series that wasn't meant to be looked at so deeply. All we know for certain about the rules of the game is: repairing damaged data costs a lot of money -- for kids, and for the Daikoku Searchmaton admins

Quote:
I just had a strange image of a huge Photoshop packaging zooming down the road and aiming a beam of Hue/Saturation and Levels at an unsuspecting person in front causing him to turn green and yellow and disgustingly bright
or maybe it'd just strut around town slapping sweet flares on everything
Spoiler for ep18:

Last edited by te2rx; 2007-10-06 at 04:08.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 06:01   Link #666
Claymore

Just watched ep19.
Spoiler for ep19:
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 08:31   Link #667
wao
OK.

I watched 19 myself, and while the production values were very solid as usual - the drawings and backgrounds seemed a bit better than usual, something about it just didn't hit me exactly. While the integration of story elements was fantastic and just when you thought you figured everything out they introduced another bit that had actually been there all this while and didn't noticed... it's not like I felt goosebumps or got very scared by this episode although it was clearly in a more horror sort of vein (I don't think this counts as a spoiler either, the last few episodes have been veering in that direction anyway)

Spoiler:

Which reminds me about how light and dark play within the dennou world as well. Aside from previously discussed mechanisms with relation to episode 13 and the dinosaur illegal, it should be considered that in the dark, that's when your perception fails and your imagination takes over. It can also be when your physical perception fails and the dennou world can take over.

Perhaps the use of "evening" as a metaphor for what people see in the dennou world isn't just restricted to aesthetics, who knows.

Spoiler for 18:

Last edited by wao; 2007-10-06 at 08:47.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 12:42   Link #668
duckroll
綺羅星★!

So I finally caught up on 18 and 19. When did Denno Coil turn into a horror movie?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 23:03   Link #669
joshualimm

Have just watched episode 19, and the visuals were great! However, I did find it kinda irritating at some parts:

* This episode seemed kinda slow-paced for the situation they're in
* Fumie's strong denial (... maybe this is hinting at something in Fumie's past?...)
* Yasako's lack-of urgency, even though her sis is a black shade with "NO DATA"

Oh well... people would act differently in different situations, so I'm not one to judge. Nice episode, btw.

Can't wait for next week.
joshualimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 13:57   Link #670
Jimmy C

Fumie's fear of scary stories has been known since ep9. Her brain must be shutting down from outright fear in the situation.
Spoiler for ep19:

This show just goes from strength to strength!
Old 2007-10-09, 14:03   Link #671
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I'm watching episode 19 right now and this is killing me...

When you folks saw it, did you notice massive noise levels? I cannot figure it out whether it's deliberate SFX or just a video compression artefact. The raw I'm watching is high-definition capture, so why the hell would there be such huge artefacts?

I can't make a screenshot of it, since it doesn't really come out on still images, but when I was watching Haraken/Isako scene, I started noticing that strange picture noise.

WTF? Am I am getting a bit too crazy here?

Spoiler for episode 19:

Last edited by MrProphet; 2007-10-09 at 14:23.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 21:13   Link #672
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
I'm watching episode 19 right now and this is killing me...

When you folks saw it, did you notice massive noise levels? I cannot figure it out whether it's deliberate SFX or just a video compression artefact. The raw I'm watching is high-definition capture, so why the hell would there be such huge artefacts?

I can't make a screenshot of it, since it doesn't really come out on still images, but when I was watching Haraken/Isako scene, I started noticing that strange picture noise.

WTF? Am I am getting a bit too crazy here?
Your brain is being corroded by Illegals... it's being seeped over to The Other Side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Spoiler for episode 19:
[/quote]

Re: the last one -
Spoiler for ep 19:
Old 2007-10-09, 21:22   Link #673
flick
電脳コイル'd

I'm actually going to have to start watching Denno Coil in another sub or just struggle with Japanese raws! >_< The suspense is almost killing me! ^^; (as I've *still* only watched up to 16 properly)

p/s: Thanks all for the spoiler tags!
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 06:16   Link #674
flick
電脳コイル'd

I never thought I'd be terrified of anime, but heck...

Spoiler for Episodes17-19:
Old 2007-10-10, 10:12   Link #675
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Send a message via MSN to RebootEDC Send a message via Yahoo to RebootEDC
Holy crap... Holy crap!!!!
This anime is getting hotter chapter by chapter!!!!!!

I can't wait for the next one >_<

Proudly enjoying Hanime Gratix™ since 2003
RebootEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 10:34   Link #676
wao
OK.

WAAAAAAAH THIS EPISODE WAS TOO THRILLING FOR ME TO ENJOY WITHOUT TYPING IT IN CAPS

I can't believe it's still at episode 20, that was like awesome on "penultimate episode level". WTF. The animation, and the the the the tension! Last week may have not moved me but I was literally waving my hands at the monitor this week. Holy shit.

EDIT: *pants*

Geez, I don't know whether I'm overreacting or what but this episode really had me there. Out of all the post-episode 12 episodes this has to be the best, I'm sure... but how on earth are they going to tie everything up?
Spoiler for 20:

Oh maaaaan, I can't wait for next week at all. How will everything get tied up? How?! I need somewhere to spasm.

EDIT2: And I can't forget today's very creepy rumourthing (and others) -
Spoiler for ep 20:

Last edited by wao; 2007-10-13 at 12:54.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 14:00   Link #677
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-13, 14:46   Link #678
flick
電脳コイル'd

For the first time... I DON'T WANT TO READ wao or Jimmy C's spoiler! It sounds far too exciting! *goes on the hunt for subbed episode 20*
Old 2007-10-14, 09:00   Link #679
joshualimm

Damn, so I was wrong... But nonetheless, episode 20 was amazing.
Spoiler for Episode 20:

So I guess the arc about Kanna is done now (or isn't it?), and we can hopefully move on to 4423 and Yasako. Fingers crossed!!!

to paraphrase myself for the third them, seriously, are there any translators translating the Dennou Coil novels? Any idea where I can buy the japanese novels, where the shipping isn't the same price as the novels, and that accepts Paypal?

P.s.
Know what would be cool? That'd be if Yasako and 4423 combines into a single entity, existing in her body, and we hear her saying to Isako (in Darth Vader's voice), "But I AM your bro-tha.....".
joshualimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 09:09   Link #680
wao
OK.

Quote:
to paraphrase myself for the third them, seriously, are there any translators translating the Dennou Coil novels? Any idea where I can buy the japanese novels, where the shipping isn't the same price as the novels, and that accepts Paypal?
I don't think anyone's translating the novels (although I have (rather awkawardly, I now realise) translated just the prologue here - be reminded a lot of things are different in the novel), and I have no idea where you can buy them on their own without expensive shipping. Lemme tell you that getting it off Amazon is ridiculous unless you want to add in a lot of other purchases. You probably know that though...

Tags
science fiction