Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-09-03, 02:00   Link #1
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Torrent Downloading in Japan

Long story short, I'm in Japan now (yay!) and I don't want to give up my "legal" anime downloading for a year (like the kind that AnimeSuki supports)... while I'm confident that my USA ISPs don't give a crap, I know they've been cracking down on downloading here, and since I'm in the middle of all of that, I was wondering... is there any safe way to download the torrents from AnimeSuki such as IP masking or whatnot? Should I even worry? Or, since I AM in Japan, would the loose legality of these torrents be moot, making it a bad thing to do in any case?

I didn't see anything like this in the search (maybe glanced over it) or in the FAQ in the sticky, so if this is a repeat, I apologize now.

Thanks for the help.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 03:01   Link #2
cyberbeing

I thought Japan had a law that downloading for personal use was legal and only uploading was illegal (though recently lawmakers have been trying to change that)? I don't think you should be overly concerned as I've never heard of someone downloading a torrent in Japan being arrested. If you want to be more cautious (considering you are uploading while torrenting) you can download your fansubs from IRC or one of free anime DDL sites that you can find around.
Old 2008-09-03, 05:28   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

• Watch it on niconico (or some other site)
  • Directly download it
  • Use encryption (not much help)
  • Use IRC
  • Indirect P2P ("Perfect Black" one was called I think)

I haven't used the last one.
    Supposedly programs like that are very popular in Japan, because annonymity is it's main focus.
Old 2008-09-03, 05:57   Link #4
Doughnuts

It's Perfect Dark, and yeah, it's very popular, especially since the arrest of 3 Share uploaders.

Downloading isn't really a problem in Japan. Uploading is. Perfect Dark is probably the best place to get raw anime, but you won't find fansubs so easily on there. Share is fine to use as a downloader (although it's anonymity has been 'proven' broken), but not as many people upload content to it since that incident.

There's some other anonymous p2p protocols and network layers. Check http://www.anonymous-p2p.org/index.html. Note that Winny and Share are pretty much broken, and Perfect Dark is the only real Japanese only network that'll give you anonymity.

Torrenting shouldn't be a problem anyway if you're not uploading things. You could use one of the anonymous network layers in conjunction with BT, such as Tor, although the rest of the Tor community will hate you for it. You probably wouldn't read great speeds either in Japan, because I don't think Tor is used widely there. On the other hand, speeds on PD with a decent internet connection will download episodes in minutes.

If you need fansubs, you could ask people here and such to send you the scripts, which you can use in conjunction with a raw from PD. I wouldn't mind doing it for anything I'm watching, I'm sure there are other people who'd be kind enough.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 06:05   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnuts View Post
On the other hand, speeds on PD with a decent internet connection will download episodes in minutes.
Yes, after you have the huge unity that makes PD's belly happy to let you download to your heart's content.
Old 2008-09-03, 06:09   Link #6
Doughnuts

You can make up the unity yourself really. Upload some random bogus 2Gb worth of data and job done.
Waiting for it to reach 2GB normally does take a while though.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 15:30   Link #7
Antares
Haruhiist

Since you're in Japan, you probably know some Japanese. Why don't you just watch them on TV?
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 16:22   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

With the Deluge BT client you can see the countries associated with each peer's IP address. I see little Japanese flags in my peer list all the time.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 16:26   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Seji I've seen that a lot. And I don't even know that client you speak of.
Old 2008-09-03, 17:07   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, the comment that "you're in Japan... watch them on tv" using a DVR for those late nighters sings true.

But you're in the clear as long as you're *strictly* downloading (that means your torrent client must be able to prevent any uploading from it - pure leech). Otherwise, head over to IRC or the random HTTP download site.

Otherwise, Perfect Dark is the latest option in the "arms race".
Old 2008-09-03, 21:44   Link #11
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

I'd go with DVR, assuming you do moon.

Otherwise, if you want to go "pure leech", use something like Bitcomet (lol, I know).
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 04:14   Link #12
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into some of those.

And I guess I should have been more clear. While I would like to watch the shows on TV, I'm in a dorm for exchange students. We don't get TVs in our rooms, and the TV in the main room gets like 7 channels at most. Not like I know enough Japanese to understand much of the shows anyway. That's why I'm in on the "intensive language study" program.

The other problem that presents itself now I can't do much about. We have to connect through the dorm/university's proxy, and it is slooooooooow. If I do any downloading, it would have to be at night so that I don't slow the net to nill for everybody in the International House.
Old 2008-09-05, 13:37   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'll look into some of those.

And I guess I should have been more clear. While I would like to watch the shows on TV, I'm in a dorm for exchange students. We don't get TVs in our rooms, and the TV in the main room gets like 7 channels at most. Not like I know enough Japanese to understand much of the shows anyway. That's why I'm in on the "intensive language study" program.

The other problem that presents itself now I can't do much about. We have to connect through the dorm/university's proxy, and it is slooooooooow. If I do any downloading, it would have to be at night so that I don't slow the net to nill for everybody in the International House.
Internet cafe is your friend
Old 2008-09-09, 11:57   Link #14
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Otherwise, if you want to go "pure leech", use something like Bitcomet (lol, I know).
http://instant-torrents.com/en/

Not sure if it's free though, haven't bothered checking.
Old 2008-09-11, 05:09   Link #15
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Internet cafe is your friend
I have yet to go to one of those, seeing as there's not one where I'm from, and I haven't seen one in Nisshin yet, so I'm not sure on the rules. Won't someone get angry if I start downloading files close to 200 megs on their connection?

If it's generally okay though, then I must find one soon. I at least want to finish the shows I was watching before I left.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:43   Link #16
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
I have yet to go to one of those, seeing as there's not one where I'm from, and I haven't seen one in Nisshin yet, so I'm not sure on the rules. Won't someone get angry if I start downloading files close to 200 megs on their connection?
I suppose it depends on the place. I've been to a small internet cafe that advertised 100Mbit speeds, and nobody minded that I and a pal were downloading all the time and burning things to DVD. The only caveat was that it sucked if the PC crashed (which it had a tendency of doing) as there was some "reset" card in those PCs that wiped any changes (=downloads) upon reboot

I used a proxy of sorts when I was in Japan btw: I downloaded using a command-line BT client on one of my servers and then would download using FTP from that server.

Edit:
I suppose there is also the snail-mail method, which is something I did when I lived in Ireland for a while (during a time that broadband was very hard to find anywhere but at the company I worked for, but they sadly heavily monitored internet usage). While I used a complicated setup where I could essentially queue downloads on my PC at my mom's home in the Netherlands and only had to ask my mom to switch DVD-RW discs and mail them to me, you could take an easier approach of just sending a pal with good internet access (in your home country or elsewhere) a list of torrents you want him to download and them burn then on DVD-RW and send them to you. You probably want to mark the discs "Backups" or "Wedding Video" or something to fool Japanese customs though

Last edited by GHDpro; 2008-09-11 at 08:59.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 14:33   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

utorrent on a flash drive is a wonderful thing....

Internet cafe limits in Japan? Highly unlikely given the average tonnage of traffic even allowed to residential accounts. You have to drop the "US business model" blinders

They *might* complain if you tried to download The Internet from A-Z ...

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-09-11 at 14:46.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 15:27   Link #18
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
http://instant-torrents.com/en/

Not sure if it's free though, haven't bothered checking.
Looks neat. I'm pretty sure you have to pay. Solution sounds an awful like getting a shell account to do your torrents.

Quote:
utorrent on a flash drive is a wonderful thing....
Signed.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote