*Author

For those interested (though there are multiple stories out there):

http://article.wn.com/view/2010/03/2...lead_vanishes/
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 22:35   Link #1082
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
So here I am watching Inception and 3/4 of the movie in I think "wait a minute,this is pretty similar to dennou coil!"

Spoiler for just in case:
Old 2010-09-30, 21:18   Link #1083
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I happened to look back over the last few pages of this thread and followed some of the links to YouTube. Anything Dennou Coil related is apparently removed.

I can understand being upset about entire episodes, or large chunks of episodes, being posted on YouTube. But when we're talking about AMVs and other items, what really is the point? Only the most narrow-minded of personalities would think that a reworking of just a few minutes of a 26-episode video needs to be pulled off the Internet. I can understand the desire to protect "intellectual property," but antics like these leave me scratching my head.

Don't they want to sell Dennou Coil DVDs and paraphernalia? So why wouldn't you want a show that has sold badly in Japan to get wider recognition and exposure?

I think the term for this is "anal-compulsive." Which group of bozos do you think was responsible for this? Madhouse? NHK? Someone else?

Somewhere Densuke is crying out in agony.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 22:13   Link #1084
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Are you sure, Sensei? All the Dennou Coil vids I see on Youtube appear to be working.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 22:46   Link #1085
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, I can no longer see this one I posted a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0eG36cipWU, nor can I see the ones cited by wao in this post either.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, or maybe there are music rights involved. The music guilds seem even more persnickity about this stuff than the movie/video types. There are a few that incorporate Prism, but most include music unrelated to Dennou Coil itself. And at least this one using Prism has no animation at all, while this one looks like an official release. It is such a beautiful song; I've listened to it many times playing the soundtrack album in the car.

Doing a search on YouTube for Dennou Coil brings up some other ones, so I guess whoever was responsible for the removals either didn't care about these, or they haven't been paying attention lately. I noticed that one of the AMV's linked in wao's posting is explicitly identified as removed due to a claim from NHK. As I recall, the one I linked to was a cute parody. Perhaps they're only removing ones they think somehow "demean" the show?

Saito Tsuneyoshi's score for this show remains my all time favorite anime soundtrack.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-09-30 at 23:09.
Old 2010-10-06, 06:13   Link #1086
shotgunsuzie

dennou coil to me was very special, not only did they introduce a new technology "the glasses" but the stories they told were really well done. I wonder if any companies out there grabbed up the rights to produce the glasses we see in dennou coil, with the advent of 3d technology coming back i can definately see this becoming a reality in the next 50 years... or sooner. Part of me wants to march into MIT and smack some super-nerds on the back of there heads and tell them to get cracking. Not only that but you could also add the technology you see in eden of the east to the glasses.
The thing that cracks me up alot in my reading of science fiction novels, especially the ones in the 50's and 60's that predicted in the 80's and 90's that we would have huge technological advancement's. Cyborgs, Flying cars, humans living on the moon, mars colinization. I always thought they give us as a species way to much credit, while we are moving very fast technologically speaking in some ways, in others you might as well be in a race against a snail, due to big business, goverment, etc. stifling any true technological advancement or leaps, i firmly believe that 100 years from now if not 500 years, that we as a species will be just starting to throw ourselves out into the stars. However the glasses in "Dennou Coil" are within reach, i just hope there are some enterprising people out there right now working on it as i type this. I want a Cyber Pet!
p.s. anyone else feel the same?
shotgunsuzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 07:15   Link #1087
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
All this technology currently exists. The problem is in implementing mass systems. They require a critical mass before the technology can be useful. But without the technology being useful, it's difficult to reach critical mass. Catch 22.

Cell phones had a terrible time catching on in America in the 90s with many large companies losing their shirts. But once they had the necessary installed base, they took off like crazy, but many years behind Asia.

I'm currently reading Phil Dick stories from the early 50s. I'm noting not so much all the unrealistic futuristic technology, but the lack of imagination in envisioning old technology becoming obsolete.

e.g. The diplomat meeting the aliens offers them all cigarettes to be cordial.
The vidphone takes a while to come on because the tubes have to warm up. And then you have to ask the operator to place your call for you.

P.S. About every ten years since 1950 someone has tried to get vidphones going and it has failed every single time. What's up with that?
Old 2010-10-06, 07:47   Link #1088
shotgunsuzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
All this technology currently exists. The problem is in implementing mass systems. They require a critical mass before the technology can be useful. But without the technology being useful, it's difficult to reach critical mass. Catch 22.

Cell phones had a terrible time catching on in America in the 90s with many large companies losing their shirts. But once they had the necessary installed base, they took off like crazy, but many years behind Asia.

I'm currently reading Phil Dick stories from the early 50s. I'm noting not so much all the unrealistic futuristic technology, but the lack of imagination in envisioning old technology becoming obsolete.

e.g. The diplomat meeting the aliens offers them all cigarettes to be cordial.
The vidphone takes a while to come on because the tubes have to warm up. And then you have to ask the operator to place your call for you.

P.S. About every ten years since 1950 someone has tried to get vidphones going and it has failed every single time. What's up with that?
Interesting point drobertbaker, about technology needing to be useful, and also needing to reach a critical mass. Hehe, i guess i'm too cynical sometimes in my point of view. About All this technology currently existing^^ point me in the direction of the (glasses) from dennou coil! i want em!

p.s. the vidphone is here isn't it? just the other day i was sure i saw a cell-phone commercial touting the use of video phone technology. Also checkout sci-fi channel's warehouse 13 they have a vidphone in that! I think it's catching on now gimme my dennou coil glasses!
shotgunsuzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 07:48   Link #1089
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
About every ten years since 1950 someone has tried to get vidphones going and it has failed every single time. What's up with that?
I think the rapid expansion of Skype has made it the videophone of today. The Internet took control over audio and video telephony out of the hands of the incumbent telecoms, so the technology could develop on its own. High-quality miniature cameras helped a lot as well.
Old 2010-10-06, 15:31   Link #1090
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunsuzie View Post
About All this technology currently existing^^ point me in the direction of the (glasses) from dennou coil! i want em!
The glasses:
Superhuman vision may be on the horizon
Marine navigation binoculars with virtual display superimposing real world image
Heads-Up Display Embedded In Glasses

The data feed:
Augmented Identity App Helps You Identify Strangers on the Street
I want my Augmented Reality TV phone!
Layar: First Mobile Augmented Reality Browser Is Your Real Life HUD

With a critical mass in these technologies, it's hard to envision the result. Try to imagine a world with no signs or labels or billboards or even printed material. All that information would be in a virtual overlay, updated via software.

The bad news is that there would be ads everywhere you looked!

One of Phil Dick's 50s visions of the future was tiny flying robots, like flies. And the use to which they were put was as advertisements. They would seek you out anywhere! Even driving (flying) in your car, they would get in through the vents and begin telling you about why you should buy their product.

The future is always both wondrous and terrifying. Professional futurists will tell you that we always predict too much in the short term and too little in the long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think the rapid expansion of Skype has made it the videophone of today. The Internet took control over audio and video telephony out of the hands of the incumbent telecoms, so the technology could develop on its own. High-quality miniature cameras helped a lot as well.
One exciting application of this which people I know are currently using is telecommuting. The PC in your office is always turned on with Skype running and you have the same setup at home. So if someone wants to talk to you, they come to your office, sit down and talk to the PC. You can even hear what's going on in the office and people walking by can see you working on the screen. It's like a little surrogate robot! Who'd have imagined?

It's interesting how applications to technologies pop up that are completely unforeseen. The internet, of course, which has transformed the world. If you watch old Star Treks, you'll see them visit the "Library Planet" where all the information in the galaxy is stored. They couldn't imagine remotely accessing data. It seems so obvious now.

In all the science fiction published before 1969, nobody imagined that the whole world would watch a moon landing on television. Even in later Star Treks from the 90s, you never see an away team take a camera along. It's always "Tell me what's happening, Number One!" audio only.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-10-07 at 18:11.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 11:09   Link #1091
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
IT'S REVIEW TIME BABY

Spoiler for Kinder surprise inside:
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 10:14   Link #1092
oompa loompa

Wow... I'm blownn away. I need some time to let this show simmer before I write a review, which I'll do in the next couple of days. All I'll say is this, this show blew me away, and I'll definetly watch it again to see how the clues are actually presented. I can't believe I missed this one for so long!
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 10:23   Link #1093
RebootEDC
Kiero mi Hanime Gratix™

Send a message via MSN to RebootEDC Send a message via Yahoo to RebootEDC
God bless these girls that run, and run, and run...

Proudly enjoying Hanime Gratix™ since 2003
RebootEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 21:58   Link #1094
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Darn you ANN and your headlines giving me false hope

Quote:
English-Subbed Dennō Coil Anime Sold....

Great news!

Quote:
... in iPhone/iOS App

here's the link

Well,better than nothing I guess,and I'd check it out if I had an iOS device
Old 2011-02-22, 07:56   Link #1095
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I have the app. I'm in the mood to rewatch the series, and £1.79 per episode isn't that bad.
Old 2011-02-22, 09:08   Link #1096
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here's a review of the app from Justin Sevakis. To summarize, he hates it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevakis
I cannot recommend watching Denno Coil in this way. The painfully slow and clunky download, the low quality and the high price make it an instant deal breaker. Don't even bother.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost....94&postcount=8
Old 2011-02-22, 09:14   Link #1097
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
You'd better have plenty of space (and time, the download is slooooow) - I'd have to clear out half of the stuff on my 8GB iPod to fit the whole series on and then it's all or nothing; if I wanted to reclaim the space I'd have to delete the whole series with no guarantee you can get it back again...
Also discovered yesterday you can't watch offline - you have to have an active internet connection even to watch the episodes you've already downloaded.
£1.79 may not be that much, but multiplied over 26 episodes it adds up and it's not like the quality is all that great.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane; 2011-02-22 at 09:17. Reason: never mind
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 18:03   Link #1098
ArrowSmith

Is this show ever going to be licensed?
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 18:27   Link #1099
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
There was an Ask John editorial about it... basically the fact that it has the veneer of a mundane children's anime rather than an edgy / seinen sort of thing makes Dennou Coil difficult to market in the US.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 18:35   Link #1100
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by te2rx View Post
There was an Ask John editorial about it... basically the fact that it has the veneer of a mundane children's anime rather than an edgy / seinen sort of thing going for it makes Dennou Coil difficult to market in the US.
I figured as much when I watched the fansubs years back, it's very cerebral.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction