Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-05-17, 23:50   Link #241
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's the jist of what I assumed. I guess they figured all the soldiers somehow looked more "noble" ineffectually waltzing around with their useless rifles rather than cumbersome heavy weapons which might actually properly irritate a kaiju. Still feels pretty damn goofy.
Standard issue weapons are Standard Issue for a reason: because they're general purpose weapons that you can use in the event of anything that happens. Even if said weapons aren't anything close to dealing with kaiju, at least they can still be used for whatever stuff happens on the ground, whether using them as a show of force or defending against smaller threats like violent civilians. While I haven't seen the movie in question, IIRC there was a Godzilla movie where the JSDF was sent to try and arrest someone, but realized that they forgot to carry small arms, because they've gotten so used to fighting Kaiju that they never thought of bringing along anti-personnel weaponry.

In my experience, soldiers carry their guns whether they actually need to or not if they're in a field of operations: during my trips to Mindanao to visit my (now late) brother years ago, he and his squad would often be invited out by the family for lunch or dinner. Even though the place the area that we were staying at was supposed to be safe, they still carried a good arsenal of assault rifles, LMG's and other weapons at arm's reach just to be on the safe side. That's for a situation where they weren't expecting combat.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 00:35   Link #242
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Spoiler:
Sorry, supposed to be Navy.
Damn it brain...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 07:32   Link #243
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Standard issue weapons are Standard Issue for a reason: because they're general purpose weapons that you can use in the event of anything that happens. Even if said weapons aren't anything close to dealing with kaiju, at least they can still be used for whatever stuff happens on the ground, whether using them as a show of force or defending against smaller threats like violent civilians. While I haven't seen the movie in question, IIRC there was a Godzilla movie where the JSDF was sent to try and arrest someone, but realized that they forgot to carry small arms, because they've gotten so used to fighting Kaiju that they never thought of bringing along anti-personnel weaponry.
The solution to that is to issue your team sidearms, and to have a couple of guys outfitted with rifles in the team to help deal with any crazy civilians (and I think this was a comic series where that happened).

But outfitting the entire team with standard issue weapons when you're fighting a completely nonstandard threat doesn't make sense to me. We have rifles as standard issue weapons because armies USUALLY fight humans who are vulnerable to rifle rounds. In a Kaiju warefare they don't serve any "standard" combat purpose aside from giving your security guys a bit more leverage against civilians. Anyone planning on even being a distraction to a Kaiju should be packing anti-tank weapons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
In my experience, soldiers carry their guns whether they actually need to or not if they're in a field of operations: during my trips to Mindanao to visit my (now late) brother years ago, he and his squad would often be invited out by the family for lunch or dinner. Even though the place the area that we were staying at was supposed to be safe, they still carried a good arsenal of assault rifles, LMG's and other weapons at arm's reach just to be on the safe side. That's for a situation where they weren't expecting combat.
That's just bringing small arms someplace safe you think is safe but where they'd be useful in the unlikely event that anything came up (animals or people). It's also useful to have soldiers combat ready at all times in case something comes up elsewhere, so you don't have to have them gear up. This is a bit different. This is bringing small arms someplace excessively dangerous where they'll be useless against the primary threat you're going after.

Arming the majority of your team to deal with hypothetical threats (irate civilians) just seems a bit silly to me when you have a mountain sized actual threat stomping about.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 13:29   Link #244
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Good flick, not with out some some issues though. After having seen it twice now, I give a 8/10. A good fun time, just needed a bit more Godzilla.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 14:50   Link #245
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Despite my...fairly numerous misgivings about the film, I am VERY happy at the news that it's opening weekend was successful enough to warrant a sequel.

For all the nitpicks I had with the movie, the design and presentation of the Monsters more than showcased a healthy love for the genre, and it's paying off in a success that Roland Emmerich's version of the film never seemed to get. The movie wasn't without flaws or things I'd have done significantly differently, but as a fan of these kinds of genre films, I'd be remiss in wanting it to do badly.

I do hope they tighten things up next time, but I'm very glad they've gotten the chance to do so.

(I'm also hoping that this gives Pacific Rim another shot at a sequel. The major problem with that films box office gross had more to do with truly lackluster US marketing than any truly glaring problems with the film).
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 15:37   Link #246
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Gareth Edwards originally didn't have plans for a sequel (though he'd leave things open-ended enough to keep the possibility alive), but if WB pushes in that direction, apparently he'd be willing to give the Monster Island concept a shot.
Quote:
(I'm also hoping that this gives Pacific Rim another shot at a sequel. The major problem with that films box office gross had more to do with truly lackluster US marketing than any truly glaring problems with the film).
Apparently, nothing's been decided yet, according to WB's head honcho.
Old 2014-05-18, 15:51   Link #247
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Saw it yesterday.
Spoiler:

When you get the first full glimpse of Godzilla, everyone in the theatre started cheering. Loved how into it audience was.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 16:18   Link #248
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
Saw it yesterday.
Spoiler:

When you get the first full glimpse of Godzilla, everyone in the theatre started cheering. Loved how into it audience was.
for my theater it was when

Spoiler for spoils:
Old 2014-05-18, 16:19   Link #249
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post

Spoiler for spoils:
That too and the final one. There was a girl next to me who kept freaking out.
Old 2014-05-18, 17:46   Link #250
Xagzan

For my theater it was when

Spoiler:

Big applause
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 18:05   Link #251
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

I've never seen that though. Usually get applause at credit roll and I'm the only one in their making reactionary comments like "oh shit!" but it was pretty much the entire theatre in the highlights.
Old 2014-05-18, 18:28   Link #252
Shinagami
Rubiks Cube

So this is like a second remake of the original I really hope it has the same or even better cgi than Pacific rim to really bring the movie to life cause the 1998 version was really terrible.
Shinagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 19:06   Link #253
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Darn it. I’m quite busy that I haven’t seen this movie >_< But from what I heard, the first hour is just human stories and build-up with glimpses of Godzilla’s body parts? And Godzilla only appear in full in the final fight against the MUTO? If it’s true then I guess I’m slightly disappointed and will lower my expectation a bit before going into the theater.

This is a really good news. I'm so happy to hear it.

Quote:
I don’t know about you, but I think the dialogues in PR are super cheesy (enough to turn some audience off), and I’m not even a native English-speaker . But the monsters and the fights are too awesome for words, no denying that.
Old 2014-05-18, 19:56   Link #254
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Saw it half an hour ago. It was quite satisfying to say the least.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 21:25   Link #255
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well glad it's doing well enough to deserve a sequel. Which is odd since it was a movie I came out with mixed feelings about. At least nice that giant monster movies can get some success. Was wondering when Pacific Rim got beaten to the curb by "Grown Ups 2" of all things...

Still hoping any future films have a bit more excitement in it. Or at the very least more interesting human characters that are worth paying attention to.
Old 2014-05-18, 21:36   Link #256
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Having been waiting for this film since 2010, I can't believe how well it met my expectations. I'm guessing everyone was mislead big time by the advertising. I know I was (but I'm adaptable). And ooohhh how I love Edwards' cinematic foreplay.
Spoiler for Godzilla (2014):
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 21:30   Link #257
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post

Spoiler for spoils:
Same here. I just shivered with nostalgia and giddiness when it happened.
Old 2014-05-20, 00:42   Link #258
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
For my theater it was when

Spoiler:

Big applause
I can only envy you, because the crowd reaction was mostly muted, if not deafeningly quiet, rarely cheering when the actual fireworks started, and I must be the only one actually enjoying the flick from start to finish.

(It was odd that, about a year ago, when that Ruruoni Kenshin live-action movie came out and screened, everyone in the damn cineplex cheered loudly because they're so connected with that saga.)

I think it has to do with the movie -- so mostly faithful to the original -- not containing much of the usual disaster-movie cliches in the last 20 years, and that the non-fan moviegoers aren't accustomed completely to the storyline.
Old 2014-05-20, 03:17   Link #259
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 03:45   Link #260
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Too much bad child acting and Mutos with not enough actual Godzilla...