AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-10-02, 20:29   Link #21
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I'm doing software quality assurance for network appliances running Linux. It pays the bills. I like the work but I hate my boss and the ridiculous deadlines I'm given.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 20:49   Link #22
Thor02
Teilzeit-Held

Send a message via MSN to Thor02
My new High school just started about 2 months ago, but got holiday for 2 weeks now. Well 2 years ago I had finished middle school and hated school at that time. So I decided to work and found a little occupation in the media and I liked it at first.
Anyway after about a year I had started thinking about my future and it was clear this was nothing I want to do my whole life. On top of that I started to like school for various reasons(anime maybe^^), also was mostly working together with guys waaay older than me and I was just the young idiot for annoying errands...
So I enlisted in a school passed the qualification test and now I'm 18 and going to school again.
Not sure what exactly I'm going to do, but I think I'm going to study Computer Sciene or Media Design. Well I got some time to think about it for now.
Kind of wrote too much bah^^
Thor02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 22:36   Link #23
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Used to work at Hollister co. the clothing store, and now I work for an arts supply company. Which is quite boring since all I do is stock and order.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 09:06   Link #24
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

How often do people get jobs that they went to school for?

Just as the title implies... I've been wondering, did you or anyone you know end up working in the career they invested time and money into to get? I would have to say 75% of everyone I know don't work in their field of study, I myself am working in my field... but the feeling of dissatisfaction is settling in and I feel like making a career move.

Which all of this pose another question... is college really worth it?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 09:30   Link #25
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think the most important thing in college is not your field of study, but the skills you pick up.

For social sciences, skills such as critical analysis are important for almost every field. Juggling different ideas and figuring out how to reconcile them is important.

Today, information is everywhere. Critical thinking (and investigation) helps you sort out the useful from the useless.
Old 2008-10-04, 10:09   Link #26
Amray

I am currently working on getting to my chosen career path in college, and have been for the last two years. My dream job is to become a police detective/investigator. I have always wanted to work within the police service so that is what I am trying my hardest to do.

The reason that I wish to become a detective is because I feel that it is something I would be quite good at. I am a good problem solver and such. If I get into this career then I will know that it was definitely worth going through college for. It seems a fantastic job and the course I am doing at the moment helps amazingly for me to get into this chosen career.

The assignments are long and quite difficult, but I think that it would be worth all of it in the end. All I have to do is try my hardest and I will get there. There is absolutely nothing stopping me from doing this so all I need is high motivation. That is all.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 10:18   Link #27
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Aye. Hope you won't get a Johan Liebert case in your career.
Old 2008-10-04, 10:25   Link #28
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
I am currently working on getting to my chosen career path in college, and have been for the last two years. My dream job is to become a police detective/investigator. I have always wanted to work within the police service so that is what I am trying my hardest to do.

The reason that I wish to become a detective is because I feel that it is something I would be quite good at. I am a good problem solver and such. If I get into this career then I will know that it was definitely worth going through college for. It seems a fantastic job and the course I am doing at the moment helps amazingly for me to get into this chosen career.

The assignments are long and quite difficult, but I think that it would be worth all of it in the end. All I have to do is try my hardest and I will get there. There is absolutely nothing stopping me from doing this so all I need is high motivation. That is all.
Thats quite interesting, in fact this November, I'll be taking a test to become a police officer. And will be enrolling in a lateral program to become a detective.
Old 2008-10-04, 10:31   Link #29
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Aye. Hope you won't get a Johan Liebert case in your career.
I should be more afraid of Baskerville hounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Thats quite interesting, in fact this November, I'll be taking a test to become a police officer. And will be enrolling in a lateral program to become a detective.
In that case I give you my luck. Alas, it is only natural for someone that wishes to be in a specific career to wish luck and motivation upon someone who is already in, or applying for it.

I have the rest of this year and also another year after to finish my college course. After that I will apply and try and work myself upwards within the service. I think that a police officer in the UK has to be a regular PC for two years until they can apply to be a detective constable.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 10:39   Link #30
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

In the state I live in, you have to do a mandatory 3years as a patrol officer.
Old 2008-10-04, 13:28   Link #31
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I'm still in the process in schooling, so I'm not quite there yet.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 13:37   Link #32
Sides

Studied mechancial engineering and have a post. grad. diploma in engineering design, but didn't pursuit a career in engineering. Instead i'm running wild with a chainsaw through the woods ^^
Actually i wanted to joined the lothian and borders police force, but didn't pass the eyesight requirements ;_;

Last edited by Sides; 2008-10-04 at 17:19.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 16:48   Link #33
Gemstar
Banned

I would say most of the time someone who did that would get the job they wanted.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 17:28   Link #34
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I went to school for Network and Communications Management. I'm in general field.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 03:21   Link #35
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

An associate of mine went to school for art, but instead is a regional manager for a security company...
Old 2008-10-05, 04:55   Link #36
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Guess what, In Hungary, we have to choose carrier when we go to High School, and because of that, most of you learn is about the chosen carrier. And after you graduate, most of the time you can only continue the chosen field in college; because they don't teach you the other ones properly.
This is the case of me, too. My parents sent me, againts my will, to a High School that specified in teaching engineering. However, I suck in engineering, and I want to go to the communication field in college. And that's damn hard. Not to mention when classmates bully you for choosing "another fare, rather than the mighty engineering".

Sheesh. Anyway, thanks to the lack of workplaces here, most people work where they find jobs.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 06:01   Link #37
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Ugh, just had a group interview. Don't think I did very well. Anyone got any interview/group interview tips?
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 06:12   Link #38
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
ski instructor/college student
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 20:17   Link #39
Firetoad
Copy Cat

Law student.
Firetoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 21:38   Link #40
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'm currently a student (sophomore) at Michigan State University. I don't have a job cause I'm too damn lazy.

Tags
college, job, work