AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-21, 01:05   Link #1
solomon

Dubbing of TV/Movies (sans anime)

Anybody ever see their favorite movie or TV show dubbed in other languages?

As an American, i was quite bemused to discover internationally dubbed episodes of the Simpsons my favorite TV show. I found Spanish, French and Japanese versions.

I like the French (European) version best because the casting is VERY similar to the original overall and the acting is generally quite good. Phillip Pethiyeu; the (very talented) voice actor for Homer au Francais sounds JUST like Dan Castenella 90% of the time!

They also are quite clever with the translations of certain jokes and puns. Groundskeeper Willy and Apu have real funny sounding accents.

Only beef is with Veronique Augerau's performance of Marge and her sisters. While very good, her voice is VERY raspy making the ladies sound like they have bronchitis! You kinda get used to it though.

The Spanish version I saw was the Latino American version (from Mexico). Overall decent, though I had to get used to the casting (specillaly for Homer or Homero as he is known). Quality seems to vary from character to character (marge doesn't seem to have the raspy voice thing going). But one cool thing I read is that when they have celebrity guest stars, they get the specific dub actor who dubs that specific actor!

Finally, the Japanese version. It is actually quite good. Like the Spanish version, I had to get used to a couple of the character's voices (namely Homer), but by and large the casting is decent and the acting is very good! (Krusty and Troy McClure are really great, voiced by Bin Shimada who did Scirocco in Zeta Gundam and Foxy and Wapol in One Piece).

However, my Japanese is good enough to understand that a fair amount of subtle jokes had to be truncated or mainly rewritten because the humor is too idiosyncratic or to fit in for times sake.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 01:10   Link #2
Kudryavka

Hello, Master-sensei, I have come, to fight you, once, and for, all.

Is that so, my, student-san? You, will not, succeed, in defeating, me, student-san.

We will see, about that, Master-sensei.

ftw

Yea, pre 21st century dubs usually sucked. I don't really like dubs anyway, thank goodness the only shows I like that are guaranteed to not originally be in English are anime.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-07-21 at 02:15.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 02:01   Link #3
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
And thus the epic face place was born.
Old 2010-07-21, 02:13   Link #4
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin of Memories View Post
And thus the epic face place was born.
Face palm.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-07-22 at 10:19.
Old 2010-07-21, 02:17   Link #5
Ending

I usually stop watching when I hear it's dubbed. The quality is simply awful in most cases. Imagine if fansubbers suddenly decided that they wanted to fandub anime.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 02:51   Link #6
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
I usually stop watching when I hear it's dubbed. The quality is simply awful in most cases. Imagine if fansubbers suddenly decided that they wanted to fandub anime.
This is true with an awful lot of dubs. Thank goodness I speak English, so most good stuff is source English anyway.
Old 2010-07-21, 09:49   Link #7
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I once saw an English dub of Tropa de Elite(The Elite Squad) with Derek Stephen Prince voicing...... Captain Roberto Nascimento.

My Reaction with the dub:
Let's just say i never knew Uryu was such a foul mouthed badass.

See for yourself.
Spoiler for NSFW with lots of bad lanuage:
Old 2010-07-21, 12:03   Link #8
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
Although few equal the quality of originals, I personally think some people are a bit too uppitty when it comes to US dub work. I haven't heard an AWFUL anime dub in years

BACK TO THE MAIN TOPIC;

France and Italy I hear have a very healthy dubbing industry. Not the behemoth that the Japanese one is but still...

Looking at Japanese dubs of movies are wierd though (especially Western ones). You really notice there is a kinda of a different style of acting in movies compared to anime.

The only other dubbed film I remember seeing was this one movie for kids called Babe (about a sheepherding pig). It apparently was made in Australia but they got American actors to rerecord the lines. (American excecutives are SUPER paranoid of anything that seems even the slightest bit forgien).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 12:21   Link #9
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

As Scandinavia has a very subtitle heavy media culture, dubs are very rare (except children's media which is understandable) and this reflects itself in what I think of dubs. That is to say, I find all dubs horrible. All. No exceptions. They always feel horribly fake to me no matter how good they might be.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 16:01   Link #10
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
That is to say, I find all dubs horrible. All. No exceptions. They always feel horribly fake to me no matter how good they might be.
I agree with this, I tried watching the English version of REC and I found it horrible because I keep on imagining that someone has to scream all those lines in a microphone, specially in a zombie film that is just horrible.. and I can't stop laughing about it specially the choice of voices for some actors. You see an old couple and it is a generic voice chosen not due to individuality and personality but because some random bloke just happens to talk like general old person. The VA's in REC were horrible...
And I hate the fact that the voices had to be louder than the rest of the sound on screen so it would overlaps, same with German dubs they give me headaches because it is all so loud

The only thing I do compliment is Dutch dubbing for Disney movies.. but only from the time period around 1994 (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Robin Hood). Saw Robin Hood again today without any annoyance, as with all the old Disney movies.. nowadays nothing makes sense anymore and I would prefer the original
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 17:27   Link #11
Nosauz

Worst are movies where the voice of the actor is so recognizable to the actor like say Jackie Chan or Jet Lie, the dubbed films of their chinese films are just horrendous. I understand that the American consumer enjoys ease of access but it's just so obnoxious, and also because the voices generally lack the intensity of martial artists since they are straining both their bodies and their voices which adds to the visceral nature of the kungfu film.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 18:40   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Disney is one of the few corporations that put a lot of work into their international dubbing ... sometimes you get to see the results on the bonus extras in the DVD sets (or by switching to one of the alternate languages ... e.g. Tarzan gorillas in French).
Old 2010-07-21, 21:32   Link #13
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Apparently the German dub of 30 Rock retains the laughter of Alec Baldwin, since he has a very distinct laugh that cannot be replicated by voice actors, at least that is what one of my bosses implied to me.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote