AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-09-09, 08:49   Link #861
jwai

I'm about 10-11 hours into the game (still in March), and it's scads of fun to pass the time on the daily commute to work.

However, I would like answers to the following:

- What exactly are the things you have to do to get new potentials (both the individual and battle ones) for each squad member, and start unlocking their back stories? I know you have to get the characters to participate in missions like in VC1, but I don't know how much they need to do to get somewhere.

- What do you need to do to be able to change class? It's something to do with the credits, but I don't know how exactly it works, or what credits you specifically need. So far only Zeri has been eligible to change class.

- How do you guys take on Armored Techs and their variants? Their shields make them hard to shoot from the front, and the last time I took one on with another Tech, it took about 2-3 CP's to defeat it. Can't say I normally use Techs all that much.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 11:12   Link #862
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
- What exactly are the things you have to do to get new potentials (both the individual and battle ones) for each squad member, and start unlocking their back stories? I know you have to get the characters to participate in missions like in VC1, but I don't know how much they need to do to get somewhere.
After a certain number of missions with a character, you unlock a conversation (a yellow !) in the Academy (the first one only takes one use, IIRC). After three of these conversations, you gain the ability to take on their personal mission, which upon completion either unlocks their last potential or changes their last potential from negative to positive buff. (Personal missions are also a great mid-summer EXP and DCT farming method, more out of you doing most of them then than any other reason )

You get one more potential from negative to positive upon receipt of a "Diploma", but I'm not sure yet if that also requires the personal mission to be complete (I've only had it happen to Marion, as I only just started to get Diplomas). I'll experiment with this tonight, I think.

Quote:
- What do you need to do to be able to change class? It's something to do with the credits, but I don't know how exactly it works, or what credits you specifically need. So far only Zeri has been eligible to change class.
You need a certain number of credits. As you earn credits, you'll be able to see which credits are needed in what quantities to change to each class (go to the Change Class screen and select a character and hover over the class you want and hit Triangle; you should be able to see the list of required Credits). You always need a Crtfcte to change to a Mid-Tier and a Diploma to change to a Hi-tier. Crtfctes appear starting in April, I think, and Diplomas in August. Others are found everywhere, and a mission will tell you which others it will give out.

Note: You may change to any class on a character's tree at any time, provided you have the Credits to do so. So don't think that choosing one tree side at Mid-Tier locks that character out of the other; it doesn't.

Quote:
- How do you guys take on Armored Techs and their variants? Their shields make them hard to shoot from the front, and the last time I took one on with another Tech, it took about 2-3 CP's to defeat it. Can't say I normally use Techs all that much.
From behind is your easiest bet, but Fencers (an Armored Tech Mid-Tier) can also generally take them out in one hit. You may need to two-shot those that are crouching (either grenade followed by shooting from behind, or shooting with a shocktrooper at close range twice). When not required to kill them, it's often better to run around them as long as you'll be out of their range for their phase, as they can't Intercept. But yeah, I can one shot them as long as I can get behind 'em.

And you're only in March, so only having one character at Mid-Tier is perfectly acceptable. I hope you let Zeri learn his Shocktrooper potential, even if it is so-so. I only started to have a significant number of my troops at Mid-Tier in June or so.
Old 2010-09-10, 17:12   Link #863
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Crtfctes appear starting in April, I think, and Diplomas in August. Others are found everywhere, and a mission will tell you which others it will give out.
I got Crts for Anisette (upgraded her to Shocktrooper Vet) and Franca (needs more stuff to go to Shk vet... can do gunner.. but no) from the last mission in Feb, been getting quite a few more during the March missions... Franca got 3 more ffs...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 06:08   Link #864
cloner4000

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/09/10...dition-part-i/

Don't know if people found this already, but the facebook group of Valkyria Chronicle posted it and it looks like if you have a saved file of VC...which i think most of us does, you can unlock Isara....

and also they are releasing DLC...well...its a bit fast...but heck I've spend so much money at VC related stuff that I don't care anymore....

I really liked VC2 and maybe its because of my affinity with anime that I found no problem with it at all, the gameplay was definitely up a notch and much improved..only downside is the graphics but it's not that big of a deal to me...just wait for VC3...and so on..(hopefully)
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 09:06   Link #865
jwai

Another couple of questions:

- Is there an easy way to get Support credits? I find that I don't use Engineers or Techs very often, because their offensive capabilities are limited in various ways, and so far, the standard healing per turn has been sufficient. At least when you stay in cover as much as possible, and simply kill the enemy before they do.

- Are any of the alternate classes beyond the improved versions of the starting classes much good? Marion is currently eligible to be a Gunner, but I have no idea whether that class is any good. Likewise for the other classes, although if I'm right, Commando seems to be OK for the flamethrower and extra AP.

However, I don't think Sniper is a good class for me to use, because I tend to want lots of AP, and things that can generate intercepting fire. So far, Snipers tend to end up being easy frags (high evasion doesn't matter much against grenades or mortar fire!) for me.
Old 2010-09-11, 11:04   Link #866
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

March! Any March mission or later can get you Crtfctes, though not as often as later missions. Thanks, Westlo.

Quote:
- Is there an easy way to get Support credits? I find that I don't use Engineers or Techs very often, because their offensive capabilities are limited in various ways, and so far, the standard healing per turn has been sufficient. At least when you stay in cover as much as possible, and simply kill the enemy before they do.
Go back to early missions and have them solo . That gets them the Credits for the early stuff where their help is not needed at all. As you go on, you'll notice that Engineers are actually stronger offensively than Scouts, and generally can KO any enemy in one CP if they get lucky with headshots. Armored techs... well, they're awesome and I learn new awesome things about them every time I use them. They're best for large groups, as they often can hit more than one, and don't have to move much to do it and are immune to bullets that hit their shield. Once your Engineers are Anthem Corps, it's really easy to give them a few credits what with large AP and the ability to buff characters that lasts more than one turn O_O. (I don't have any Engineer Vtns yet... but that's for perfectionist reasons. I need to get Cosette her Anthem Corps Potential before I'm willing to change her )

It is my opinion that if you can't find a use for a class, you aren't trying hard enough; I'm still looking to find a use for Scouts that aren't Avan or Aliasse, but I think that's because I can't get past how much they've been nerfed.

Alternatively, if you're actually talking about "Sppt" and it's incarnations, just have people do things in missions that list those credits, and they'll get those instead of any others (they're generally defend base missions).

Quote:
- Are any of the alternate classes beyond the improved versions of the starting classes much good? Marion is currently eligible to be a Gunner, but I have no idea whether that class is any good. Likewise for the other classes, although if I'm right, Commando seems to be OK for the flamethrower and extra AP.
Gunners are by far the best interception fire you can ask for. 50+ shots before reloading, ridiculous attack power (ten shots takes down a Fencer from the front. I s^$& you not), and on the attack, hits in a spread. I've killed three shockies from one CP with this.

Anthem Corps are your buffers, and they are REALLY GOOD at it, raising multiple stats on possibly multiple people in one CP (but they can't buff themselves ).

Snipers... if an enemy can be seen from a base camp, a Sniper probably can kill it without wasting some of the CP you're using from someone charging across the map.

Fencers two-shot heavier tanks. Maulers probably do better. I had a Fencer kill two Personnel and a single Light tank: One CP.

Mortarers two-shot V2s from any direction, and often kill any other enemy units around them. They also have the longest range of your 'crowd-control' choices.

I only have one Tier Three unit (Zeri as Heavy Gunner), but I've found a use for every Tier Two unit they've allowed me to have.

Quote:
However, I don't think Sniper is a good class for me to use, because I tend to want lots of AP, and things that can generate intercepting fire. So far, Snipers tend to end up being easy frags (high evasion doesn't matter much against grenades or mortar fire!) for me.
Use them from your bases and retreat them for their safety at the end of their attack, or keep them inside your base and retreat them upon the ending of your turn or when you need more Capacity. I generally only have them leave a base to take out an Ace that is in a Tower somewhere.
Old 2010-09-11, 12:03   Link #867
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Will the other unlockables make it to the US version? We've seen the other unlockable characters like Selvaria, Faldio, Alicia & Lamar (Anime) & others? I mean am I missing something?

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2010-09-11 at 22:18.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 13:34   Link #868
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
That's Steven Blum, aka Orochimaru, aka Todoh, aka Oghren, aka Grunt aka.... cool man who does cool characters.
Too bad Helmutt isn't a shcoktrooper, or the role as Grunt would fit him perfectly...

"I AM AN IMPERIAL!"
Old 2010-09-11, 19:09   Link #869
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
Will the other unlockables be in the US version? We've seen the other unlockable characters like Selvaria, Faldio, Alicia & Lamal (Anime) & others? I mean am I missing something?
Yeah they will be, blog pretty much said Selvaria's unlock code is coming out next week.
Old 2010-09-12, 04:04   Link #870
jwai

Argh, how the bloody hell do you complete the April mission with Baldren in it?! Not only does he alternate between a shield and MG, he also KO's my tank in one strike. Seriously...

On the other hand, I found Marion's final potential to be quite amusing:

Spoiler:

The way Marion's VA did the dialogue for that particular scene makes it all the more hilarious.

Last edited by jwai; 2010-09-12 at 07:00.
Old 2010-09-12, 09:02   Link #871
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Argh, how the bloody hell do you complete the April mission with Baldren in it?! Not only does he alternate between a shield and MG, he also KO's my tank in one strike. Seriously...
Took me eight turns and cost me the lives of five of my men... And not to mention forcing me to watch his freaking dramatic-cut-in every he issues a damn order... That bastard... I want a dramatic-cut-in scene...

*cough*

Spoiler:
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 09:53   Link #872
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Took me about 6 turns and 3 casualties. *shrugs*

In this case, what you want are speed and staying power. An advantage is having your tank equipped with the constructor arm and heating unit; 2 of the enemy camps to be captured are easily accessible by ladders placed by your tank, so place a ladder and run up - hay presto! In snow environs, your troops don't regenerate health each turn; installing a heating unit on your tank and deploying it negates the snow effect, so your troops regain health in each turn they're in the same area as your tank.

Speed is crucial - you need to always keep running away from Baldren yet balancing that with capturing the camps.

Start with Area 1; run up a ladder with your tank, roll forward and snipe the tank on the ledge, then get as far forward as you can, then send a scout up (if you have a few scout vets, they come in handy here). Have the scout kill the sniper guarding Objective 1, then rush towards the next camp on the far right. The gatling turret will be annoying so use your tank to kill it.

As soon as you capture that base camp, get a shocktrooper or armored tech out on the next area to protect it; generally armor techs last a tad longer against Baldren, though Scouts, shocktroopers and gunners occasioannly duck his swings. Again, bring tank up, run a ladder up, and capture the point. At this time, Baldren should be heading to your start point (Area 1) or in the underground ice caves (area 2).

Once Obj 2 at Area 3 is captured, it's a run to Area 4. This is where it gets tricky; the next base camp north of Obj 2 leads to Area 4. Area 4 has 4 camps; G3, which is where Area 3 connetcs, A1, which is where Area 2 leads to, D8 (which I can't remember where, except it's at the very bottom of the map under a bluff) and Obj 3 inside the house (D3). If your tank has a crusher armor, you can take a shortcut and go by the north, smashing through a rock and catching everyone in the rear.

If this is your first run, and you've chosen to mount a constructor arm like I have, you can't have a crusherplow so you have to do this the hard way.

Scout rush to D8 and capture the camp there; this allows you to deploy your tank from there and use it as a quick reinforcing position. Deploy your tank and sortie to the barn, taking out the enemy tank and drawing infantry fire. Then, with a force of scouts and shocktroopers, advance with fire and manuver in a methodical manner to capture the remaining point...

... or if you've placed some troops in Area 2 earlier on, and captured the camp in Area 2 H1, that camp leads to Area 4 A1. So you can deploy a Lancer from behind to take out the tank, and a couple of scouts or shocktroopers to charge everyone and catch them off-guard.

If you're like me you try to do 2 things at once, aiming for pincer formations.

Surprisingly I don't get why people say Scouts are nerfed; I find they've got long range and respectable firepower - most enemies die within less than 5 headshots - it's all about lining up the shot and taking it...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 17:35   Link #873
Sides

Quote:
Just give him a bait, one of the shield carriers, and shoot him in the back ith a sniper. Make sure he is facing the towards the bait and has his back to the sniper.

Regarding Scouts, it really depends how you play, with a higher tier scout and some back up, you can capture camps pretty fast. So it really depends on the mission, and if people want a S rank or not.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 18:40   Link #874
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Surprisingly I don't get why people say Scouts are nerfed; I find they've got long range and respectable firepower - most enemies die within less than 5 headshots - it's all about lining up the shot and taking it...
Except that most of the time they're either behind sandbags or hiding in the grass... I used to use shocktroopers for everything until I got my first sniper.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 02:36   Link #875
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Just give him a bait, one of the shield carriers, and shoot him in the back ith a sniper. Make sure he is facing the towards the bait and has his back to the sniper.
And how many shots did that take?
Old 2010-09-13, 02:55   Link #876
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
They're still really, really good, but are definitely nerfed from VC1. Don't know why people are complaining though.. scouts were way to overpowered in VC1 period
Old 2010-09-13, 05:06   Link #877
Sides

Quote:
And how many shots did that take?
Cannot remember, but must be 2-3 shots, a bit long since i played it. But if you want a S rank just ignore him, unless you grinded you squad.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 05:26   Link #878
jwai

Hooah! Managed to drop Baldren without taking any casualties! What I ended up doing was taking a Light Tank with the turret with just AP rounds and a mortar. The first turn, brought Alexis out and put him out in front, with Avan, Zeri and the tank close behind.

The key point here is to save your CP's on the first turn and wait for Baldren to show up. I was lucky that I caught him with just the MG at the time, and while Avan took a lot of damage, being behind sandbags was a real saver. The second turn, I ended up pumping AP rounds into Baldren, using Alexis to whack him to make him turn around and show his back to the tank. When you have a 1 CP Light Tank with 10+ CP's on hand, it was only a matter of time before I succeeded.

I ended up getting a C for that mission, but who cares? Now I can get the plot moving again.

That mission, I've oddly found that shooting the cannon at infantry is now a lot more effective. In VC1, it wasn't really a good idea to try and take out individual guys with the main gun, but this time I was cannon sniping a lot with great success, given I had no Gatling in the turret. The tank Gatling is normally too slow to be of much use as intercepting fire anyway.
Old 2010-09-13, 06:49   Link #879
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
The first turn, brought Alexis out and put him out in front,
I giggled at this.
Old 2010-09-13, 06:55   Link #880
jwai

Quote: