AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 11 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 144 54.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 23.66%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 4.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 6.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.76%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 2.29%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-28, 16:28   Link #181
LC
Shocking Pink

I gave a 9/10 because I thought it was a bit too overdramatic, but, still, it was a great episode. Menma's letter to Jintan almost got a tear from me, and I don't cry over anime! And, yes, I've watched Clannad After Story. Throughout the whole episode, I just wished that Menma hadn't died so she and Jintan could be together.

I think that Naruko is the most realistic character of the show. She reminds me of my friends on Facebook. lol However, I like that she didn't magically end up with Jintan; they needed to be better friends first. Yukiatsuruko scene was cute though!

Rather than being shippy, imo, the epilogue should've focused more on the Super Peace Busters.
Old 2011-06-28, 17:11   Link #182
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It was Friend-shippy.
Old 2011-06-28, 19:13   Link #183
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Not a bad job at all of wrapping things up. Devled into the less honorable sides of all of them when it came to granting Menma's wish. All had their own reasons that weren't about Menma's happiness for wishing what they did.

Glad we finally got Poppo's problem as well which made sense. Not that he had responsibility, but he just froze when watching her die. Of course considering he had little way to get help and by the time that help arrived it would have been way too late it's not like he caused the result, but seeing that scene would be haunting. At least now he can stop trying to run away all over the world. Lot of school to catch up on though .

Good job Anaru for breaking the seriousness . The power of comedy is unwavering there.

Really it was nicely done. Everyone got a short message from Menma and even got to hear and see her at the end. With everything thrown out in the open they really do have the potential to survive this as friends and live their lives.

Some possible hints at pairings though nothing so concrete that people can't mostly assume what they want.
Old 2011-06-29, 13:17   Link #184
Windows X

If you cry for this episode, you must give it 10/10!
Old 2011-06-29, 20:30   Link #185
Qikz

I'm going to admit that that's the most I've cried in a really long time(and I hope it'll be like that for a while as I hate crying). I watched this over the past three days and I'm so glad I did. That ending was just so emtional and painful at the same time, but so beautiful.

I can't begin to explain why I was crying, but the letters she wrote to everyone just set me off completely and I hardly ever cry. I just wish it didn't have to be that way. Why couldn't it have been a story where she had never died and they all just got along.
Old 2011-06-30, 22:06   Link #186
deadite

I would argue the awkwardness of this episode was intentional. Real life therapy sessions and cathartic screams/cries are really awkward in real life.
Old 2011-07-02, 07:23   Link #187
shakeofinfinity
Learning the Guitar

Hope everyone saw the white cute shorts anaru was wearing
=)
Old 2011-07-02, 23:36   Link #188
yogotah

I also feel that the awkwardness of the first half of the show was intentional. All of them crying at the same time was moving, but was so embarrassing that I couldn't help but to chuckle a little bit. I picked up this series on a whim. I had no clue that Japan made anime like these anymore. I really hope the future shows step it up and use this show as a standard. The finale was perfect. It couldn't have executed in a better way. There will always be critic no matter how the show ended, but this one was perfect in my opinion. Hoped the show could have lasted a bit longer, two more episodes would have been fine. Sigh i don't know what to watch next. Ao no exorcist?....sigh it was nice while it lasted.
Old 2011-07-06, 10:25   Link #189
anyme

Once I got all 11 ep. Then I watched 1st-11th marathonly.
This show almost makes me cry. To know that we can't see each other again is sad, even know that person goes to heaven.

Next station ,Denpa Onna!
Old 2011-07-10, 09:54   Link #190
OtakuSoldier

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I can't begin to explain why I was crying, but the letters she wrote to everyone just set me off completely and I hardly ever cry. I just wish it didn't have to be that way. Why couldn't it have been a story where she had never died and they all just got along.
That's what made the series as painful as it was. The fact that she is dead. It's an interesting plot that I'm sure has been done before, but was guided nicely in this series. But that's at least one of the factors. Anaru giving her all to Jinta to only be rejected was pretty painful IMO. The series resolved all of the character's problems. When most people are brought to their knees with emotion, it's easy to get EVERYTHING off their chest. And they did just that and were able to laugh it away, even though it's still there.

Good work, I would have kinda liked to have seen maybe just ONE follow up episode of what they did maybe like a year later. But the credits were good enough.

Jinta's dad is still content and got to see his son grow.
Jinta can slowly get over the pain and hopefully see what else he physically had in front of him.
Anaru still got her request, which was Jinta coming back to school. And it would seem as if her high school 'friends' have changed and are more understanding. Or at least self aware of how they treated Anaru.
Yukiatsu and Tsuruko seemingly have a stronger friendship and perhaps grow closer down the line.
And Poppo... he was a great supporting character all the way to the end. Nice to see the 'uneducated' guy display a sharp sense of emotional understanding.

Last edited by OtakuSoldier; 2011-07-11 at 10:54.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:17   Link #191
OtakuSoldier

To add, a VERY well thought out epilogue episode would be awesome. Show us where their paths that Menma helped reset turned out. Play off those hints in the ending epilogue. Hell, even if it were ten to fifteen minutes covering all the main characters, EXCEPT Menma... Or show Menma with her family. Family trumps friends in most cases. I'd be okay with that. Also, Jintan's dad couldn't hurt. I'm not even asking it to meet what I would like to happen, just show us.

Last edited by OtakuSoldier; 2011-07-12 at 10:43.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:19   Link #192
OtakuSoldier

Whoops. Sorry, still getting used to posting here. n/m this message.

Last edited by OtakuSoldier; 2011-07-11 at 11:32.
Old 2011-07-11, 14:58   Link #193
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
The anime of Asatte no Houkou deviates much from the manga though... and no one has translated the remaining chapters..

Anyway, someone had a great idea of a bonus episode or gaiden for Ano Hana:

Anaru helps a girl in her school reconcile with her boyfriend
Poppo stops a girl from committing suicide on the bridge.
Tsuruko helps a struggling artist in her art club find his inspiration.
Yukiatsu attends to a terminally ill little girl
Jinta helps a boy stand up to his bullies and become his own man.
A girl in her senior year who has not yet made plans with her life contemplates in the forest beside a little forget-me-not flower.
lol or just one episode of menma around as a ghost doing silly stuff
Old 2011-07-11, 19:19   Link #194
OtakuSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
This.

Mostly happy with the anime, but it could've ended better. There were times where I felt really touched but then 30 seconds later it felt corny and awkward, and the entire episode was back and forth that way. I liked the idea for the ending, but...it could've been executed better.

EDIT: The hide and seek part was a good idea in my opinion, but it was too overly dramatic.

Spoiler for what I think is not completely resolved:
Now wait a minute.

Spoiler for Wishes/Ending:

Last edited by OtakuSoldier; 2011-07-11 at 19:30.
Old 2011-07-11, 20:35   Link #195
OtakuSoldier

Sorry for all the posting... But what exactly is this 'better ending' or not quite near perfection ending that a lot of people seem to want? I mean, this series completed its set goal, tampered with emotions whether relatable to the viewer or not, dealt with MANY real dramas and burdens, developed the characters enough to complete that goal and kept itself VERY real. Yes even the 'over the top' ending was realistic. People CAN and DO panic when they can't find someone. And years of bottled emotion being released so sharply is far from subtle.

Are people just deep down inside saying it wasn't near perfect because they didn't see it end the way THEY wanted it to? That's why I make sure I never anticipate a series. I let it come as what it is.

If that's not the case, what is this missing element that could make it better? I mean, couldn't most anything become better? With years of revision on a 9/10 anime, it could become a 10/10. Sure... What about a hundred years? You think more about something and it should only get better. But when something does what it needs to the first time...

So if the latter isn't the case, what is the MAIN thing that needs to be better? Or the element that would have made this not near perfect, but perfect? I know there will be different opinions, but shouldn't this series be judged with your heart in some cases? It seemed to provide the proper physical elements (as in animation, fluidity, voice acting) as well as the theatrical things (character development, story and the such). But even if some of these things weren't as great as YOU would have liked, I still stand on the series accomplished its goal.

So is it a great concept that could have been executed better, but still executed well enough to reflect on the plot/point?
Is it something that was greatly executed but could have used a better story line?
Or does the physical attributes not matter as much, so long as it was acceptable? Because the story was simply a REAL slice of life in all its bittersweetness and realism.

I say the latter. I don't see what could have been more relatable in terms of RL drama. Friends CAN and DO help each other through hard times. Perhaps this group didn't act in a way you would have OR would have liked OR both. But everyone is different. Perhaps don't think so much of how it went down between them all... think of WHO it was done from and WHY they were doing it. The only UNREALISTIC thing is obviously the supernatural overtone. Dead loved ones don't come back to help set you on the right path. IMO, this would have been more interesting if they all came back together just as strongly without the help of Menma (without her presence anyway, just memories). Just my opinion, but THAT would have been more bittersweet just because the characters would have had to dig deeper and take more initiative without Menma's aid. Not that they didn't. But then we wouldn't have the Jinta fixation problem?

I DIGRESS! Thanks for feedback.... Either way, the overall consensus is that everyone here did enjoy the series in their own way.

EDIT: If it's the lack of episodes I could understand, but I think it did VERY WELL for being an eleven episode series. A lack of funding/time is simply that.

Last edited by OtakuSoldier; 2011-07-12 at 10:31.
Old 2011-07-12, 05:14   Link #196
fazer

We sure are a greedy lot! if it doesn't end as what we wants, we say it could have been better, but if it ends as what we wanted, we said its too expected! haha

But seriously I love the way it ended, I just want to see them more.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:27   Link #197
OtakuSoldier

I can agree with that. I wasn't disappointed by anything! Well like I said on your page or whatever, a half ep epilogue could be nice.
Old 2011-07-12, 12:20   Link #198
fazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSoldier View Post
I can agree with that. I wasn't disappointed by anything! Well like I said on your page or whatever, a half ep epilogue could be nice.
Oh yes I saw your message, I agree with you!
Have anyone come across any decent doujin or fan made material that explores their future? I mean not those Hentai stuff...
Old 2011-07-12, 15:20   Link #199
OtakuSoldier

^

Not that I know of. Though I much would prefer it to be done from the original creator. It's only fair!
Old 2011-07-16, 23:52   Link #200
Demoned Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer View Post
Oh yes I saw your message, I agree with you!
Have anyone come across any decent doujin or fan made material that explores their future? I mean not those Hentai stuff...
I hope that they make a short OVA to show what happens 5-10 years from now. Maybe we can see what Menma was reincarnated into (IF she was)? I talked about this with one of my friends and we think it would be cool if she was reincarnated into a cat/dog that walked around town as the OVA showed us what is going on with each character. ... if that makes any sense. xD
Closed Thread