AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-05-18, 08:06   Link #241
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It could be harder than you think Spartan. All the automatic guided system currently in use for missiles would likely not be very effective against titans.

It would be very hard to make them hit their weak point instead of any other body part.
I would expect a very low accuracy.

I think that in the end large cannons would be the weapon of choice, lot less expensive than missiles, and they can be mounted on fast tanks (titans are slower than horses generally).

Artillery and air strikes can still be used effectively against a large crowd of titans. Generally normally titans shouldn't be much of a problem for modern armies, but the deviants could pose a serious threat.

Oh, you could also use unmanned vehicles, since titans ignore anything that isn't human and they are probably too stupid to recognize a threat. Kamikaze drones remotely controlled could work well against specific isolated titans.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 12:12   Link #242
Iron Maw
Banned

I'm interested how modern forces would able deal with the Colossal and Armored Class Titans. Tanks are out of the question and air assaults are not better either.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 12:19   Link #243
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Why not? It's not like modern weapons can't deal with armored targets, and being colossal just makes you a bigger target.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 14:14   Link #244
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I'm interested how modern forces would able deal with the Colossal and Armored Class Titans. Tanks are out of the question and air assaults are not better either.
It depends on how resistant is the armored titan's armor, though it's very hard to think it could deflect the strongest cannon's shotd or the anti armor missiles of the newest generation. In the worst case scenario we already have the technology to create railguns, and the armor should be on a supernatural level to resist that.

The colossal titan would be hard to hit from the ground level, so tanks are out of the question, unless you can place them on those high walls.
The main problem with him is finding a way to kill him before he vanishes. If he is smart, and he probably is, he would never appear where there are aircraft nearby. Best strategy to kill him is probably with a trap and constant vigilance.

Old 2013-05-18, 15:20   Link #245
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

We can build ground based missiles and canons that target aircraft. We can build ground based missiles and canons that target things with 50m of elevation on them.

The "teleportation" is a problem, but
Spoiler for manga:
Old 2013-05-18, 16:36   Link #246
Gravitas Free Zone

Tanks are low to the ground because if you're very tall, you stick up over obstacles and can be seen from a long way off.

Leaving aside the issue of the Colossal Titans for the moment, the regular Titans do not carry any weapons, let alone anything that would benefit from being elevated, so their height is not much of an advantage. And their critical weakspot, being toward their top, is going to be hit even sooner from range, since it'll clear the horizon first.

Obviously the writers of Attack on Titan have thoroughly stacked the deck against the humanity of their series, but given modern weaponry the giant mook brigade does not have too many advantages.

...which is why Laser-Class BETA showed up in that other everybody-is-going-to-die-because-we-wanted-it-that-way series that keeps coming to mind.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 16:46   Link #247
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What series is that?
Old 2013-05-18, 16:50   Link #248
Gravitas Free Zone

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, whose threads ended up resembling these in that everyone's ideas for stopping the alien menace were shot down by some convenient thing that the writers had come up with in advance. Plus their being several quadrillion of the buggers, and humans being asses to each other both behind and in front of the scenes.

So yeah, this all sounds rather familiar right now...
Old 2013-05-18, 18:06   Link #249
apotheosis
Shinigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It depends on how resistant is the armored titan's armor, though it's very hard to think it could deflect the strongest cannon's shotd or the anti armor missiles of the newest generation. In the worst case scenario we already have the technology to create railguns, and the armor should be on a supernatural level to resist that.

The colossal titan would be hard to hit from the ground level, so tanks are out of the question, unless you can place them on those high walls.
The main problem with him is finding a way to kill him before he vanishes. If he is smart, and he probably is, he would never appear where there are aircraft nearby. Best strategy to kill him is probably with a trap and constant vigilance.

Stealth bombers seem like the optimal way to kill the armoured & colossal. Drop some guided missiles on them with enough force to destroy all of them, weak spot included. If a human stabbing it with forged steel swords can destroy their weak spot, pretty much any explosive force would be greater ..

The normal titans should be easy to kill with airborne drones who can stay out of range of the titans we've seen so far.
apotheosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 18:21   Link #250
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

"Stealth" Bombers are "stealth" because they have low radar signature, they aren't any less visible nor any more silent than other similar non stealth aircraft. It shouldn't matter against titans.
So in the end I agree to whoever said that helicopters would be better to fight titans. They are in fact better suited to fight ground based threats.

I'm still skeptical on guided missiles because they wouldn't be able to attack the weak point directly. The payload should be strong enough to blow up at least half of a titan to be sufficiently effective. This could be hard for 15 meters class titans.

Old 2013-05-18, 19:18   Link #251
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Really....? So nukes ain't gonna work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, whose threads ended up resembling these in that everyone's ideas for stopping the alien menace were shot down by some convenient thing that the writers had come up with in advance. Plus their being several quadrillion of the buggers, and humans being asses to each other both behind and in front of the scenes.

So yeah, this all sounds rather familiar right now...
MLA i far more realistic than SK..... I doubt Titans has a chance with a Destroyer Class or Laser Class.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 19:50   Link #252
Gravitas Free Zone

The BETA had to be written to justify as well as defeat giant mecha; that raises the bar compared to having mid-1700s-tech-level humans as opponents...

There's already a Gundam beating up on titans in the image thread...
Old 2013-05-18, 20:38   Link #253
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Why not? It's not like modern weapons can't deal with armored targets, and being colossal just makes you a bigger target.
Jan-Poo basically said what I was going to say. At that very least the Colossal Titan is going require a much higher degree of stratengy beyond just shooting at him considering his ability. Teleportation is not something you can really plan against especially when you do not know it's limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Really....? So nukes ain't gonna work?
Maybe against the Armored Titan, but what's stop the Colossal one from just going "lol nope!" and blinking out? Worse yet there is a very high probably of coursing more damage to Human forces especially since Titan normally appear in human settlements. At best it's needs to be a last resort.

Quote:
MLA i far more realistic than SK..... I doubt Titans has a chance with a Destroyer Class or Laser Class.
Stronger? Probably. More realistic? Nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post

There's already a Gundam beating up on titans in the image thread...
It's a Gundam though. Aside form the high tech, they rare ever lose unless it's against another Gundam.
Old 2013-05-18, 20:40   Link #254
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Stronger? Probably. More realistic? Nah.
Come on. Disappearing giant is beyond physics. It's fantasy.

About Aliens? I believe in aliens.

MLA is far more realistic than SK.
Old 2013-05-18, 22:10   Link #255
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Come on. Disappearing giant is beyond physics. It's fantasy.

About Aliens? I believe in aliens.

MLA is far more realistic than SK.
Them being aliens has nothing to do with it. Even if extraterrestrial life exists, it doesn't mean they would look, or act like the BETA. Until that is proven, BETA are just as fictional and fantastical as Titans. Besides science fiction is hardly the best genre for realistic fiction anyway.
Old 2013-05-18, 22:52   Link #256
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well the adjective "realistic" is always used for fictional entities or speculations.

You don't call "realistic" what is real to begin with.

There is a difference between something that while fictional can be theoretically possible in the real world (hence realistic) and something that really can't be possible.

I don't think that BETA are entirely plausible, especially the laser class, but they are for a good 90% in my opinion.
The titans however seem to be decidedly on the realm of supernatural, rather than sci-fi. If there is a scientific explanation for them, it's probably on a level that is indistinguishable from magic.

Old 2013-05-18, 23:00   Link #257
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Them being aliens has nothing to do with it. Even if extraterrestrial life exists, it doesn't mean they would look, or act like the BETA. Until that is proven, BETA are just as fictional and fantastical as Titans. Besides science fiction is hardly the best genre for realistic fiction anyway.
Well comparing between the two, which will likely happen IRL?

1. A Titan that could survive without eating a human for 100 hundreds and without source of nutrition? That could regenerate in a few seconds ( yeah, ok planarian could do but it has its limitations) A giant that just disappears and appears out of nowhere defying the law of physics and matter.

or

2. Beta an extraterrestrial being that came from somewhere outside Earth menacing us and kills every single thing it sees moving.

Quote:
I don't think that BETA are entirely plausible, especially the laser class, but they are for a good 90% in my opinion.
The titans however seem to be decidedly on the realm of supernatural, rather than sci-fi. If there is a scientific explanation for them, it's probably on a level that is indistinguishable from magic.
This is one I'm pointing LOls....

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-05-19 at 00:21.
Old 2013-05-18, 23:13   Link #258
SagaraSouske

Not sure how hard the titan skin is, since Mikasa was able to cut it with either a broken blade or a knife standing on the ground.

They have guns.
Old 2013-05-19, 00:14   Link #259
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Has it ever been mentioned why the world suddenly turned medieval?
The first few seconds state that this is 2000 years from now on.

Quote:

I'd go rather scientific. Considering how its 2000 years in the future (thus around year 4000) They might be the reminders of some war that has happened between anime now and anime then. Either created intentionally or y a nuclear accident.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 01:57   Link #260
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Jan-Poo basically said what I was going to say.
For the elevation, at most it's going to take a redesign of tanks. Though probably not - you'd have to be stupid to fight close to it. If it's so close you can't shoot its weak point, run! Or knee-cap it and then shoot its weak point.

Quote:
At that very least the Colossal Titan is going require a much higher degree of stratengy beyond just shooting at him considering his ability. Teleportation is not something you can really plan against especially when you do not know it's limits. Maybe against the Armored Titan, but what's stop the Colossal one from just going "lol nope!" and blinking out? Worse yet there is a very high probably of coursing more damage to Human forces especially since Titan normally appear in human settlements. At best it's needs to be a last resort.
Spoiler for manga: