AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-10-09, 17:51   Link #1
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Kikoushi Enma OVA (Demon Prince Enma)

I really liked the first episode of this OVA or whatnot. Aside from the fact that Yukihime is coolly hot, Enma is just a badass and the episode really is pretty scary. I liked the grit of this show - it isn't afraid of showing things normally seen in circumstances like foreplay, etc.

What do you think about this series?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 19:49   Link #2
SeroganeX

Send a message via AIM to SeroganeX
I think it's too bad that there are only going to be 4 OVAs. I rather enjoyed the first episode.
SeroganeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 09:18   Link #3
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Just had a chance to check this out finally. Didn't know what it was the first time I saw the name. But when I checked the link to ANN I got my answer. So it seems that 'Go Nagai' is live and well and some of his more obscure stuff is getting an upgrade. I'd heard of the original show but never seen any. But this new OVA like many of his other works that get remakes are always on the mark as far as the horror goes. As well as his perverted sense of humor. If you didn't have that it wouldn't be a 'Go Nagai' flick. It almost seems awkward seeing it in a show like this. But if you've seen his other stuff you know it's his work. Of course no 'Go Nagai' flick is complete without angry brows, devilish eyes and sharp sideburns. So far I'm enjoying it. It's pretty dark and disturbing. But every now and then I get a chuckle when something silly happens. It's just that it's a very odd contrast mixing the humor in with such designs. You're used to it when you watch his older stuff. Because they were done during such a time. But when it's updated for a more mature audience it almost seems out of place. And this show seems very dark despite all things. But again I'm a 'Go Nagai' fan so I enjoy just about every 'Go Nagai' work that comes back into the light. Provided it's entertaining. I'll be looking forward to OVA vol. 2.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 12:32   Link #4
martino
makes no files now

I've seen only the first episode, and I quite liked it. It's dark and scary at times as well, with some gore here and there... I'll certainly watch the rest though.
Old 2007-01-23, 17:47   Link #5
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Well, I still have this anime from when it was originally released on sub. It's really a shame that no one seems to have gotten beyond the first episode.

I absolutely loved it, because it played HEAVILY on my love for Japanese folklore. Seriously, when I saw a kappa I just about wet myself. The artwork is really beautiful, the general ATMOSPHERE the anime gives off is really dark - and perhaps it was just my own thrill - had my heart pumping.

Just wanted to give my two bits and bump this thread back up so someone sees it.
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 23:32   Link #6
naka

ep2 is a cliffhanger
ep3 is a cliffhanger
and ep4's outline+summary is not out

and by the time ep4's out on dvd, it's probably going to be licensed in north america where you can actually buy the r1 dvds with less crummy subs and less overboasted cpu-hogging video encodings

go watch some jigoku shoujo will ya?
naka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 23:38   Link #7
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Jigoku Shoujo is stale in comparison to Kikoushi Enma. >>; Jigoku Shoujo is, while a good series, just doesn't hold up to Kikoushi Enma when it comes to traditional Japanese myths and legends.

The fact Kikoushi Enma showed a Kappa as more than just a cute turtle humanoid makes it instant win.

For some reason I don't see Kikoushi Enma ever hitting the states, I don't really know why.
Old 2007-01-23, 23:43   Link #8
naka

why it won't be?

it contains blood, sex, horror, gags, only 4 episodes, and doesn't require the audience to watch the whole tv series to grasp the ova story

and for some odd reason ep2 DOES remind me of jigoku shoujo, in more ways than 1

Last edited by naka; 2007-01-23 at 23:45. Reason: addition on jigoku shoujo comment
naka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 00:02   Link #9
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Mm, I don't know. I haven't been able to watch it yet, so yeah. I've only seen the first. I've been waiting for fansubs all this time.

Anyway. I just really don't see it reaching the states. You definately have a point, but maybe I'm just being negative just because I REALLY love this series. And.. The series I love rarely reach the states. xD

Perhaps I'm being hopeful as well. I don't want to see it picked up by a bad company, and have it completely ruined.
Old 2007-02-01, 07:57   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Bandai has announced the licensed for this OVA series.

Quote:
Source AoD

Feb. 1, 2007 - Bandai Visual USA Inc., a leading innovator in Japanese animation, today announced that they are set to release 3 (three) new anime titles in the U.S starting Spring 2007. The three titles are “Gunbuster 2,” “The Wings of Rean” and “Demon Prince Enma.”

“Demon Prince Enma”
An action horror animation series based on a manga created by Go Nagai, a master manga artist who brought classics such as “Devilman,” “Mazinger Z,” and “Cutey Honey.”

Working as a private investigator among humans, prince of demons Enma brings to justice those ghouls that stray into the human world. DVD will be released in 2 (two) volumes. Each volume will have original 16-page booklet and bonus features including interviews.

DEMON PRINCE ENMA Vol. 1 (of 2)
Catalog #: BUDH0111
UPC#: 858604001110

DEMON PRINCE ENMAVol. 2 (of 2)
Catalog #: BUDH0112
UPC#: 858604001127
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 12:17   Link #11
chrno

I can't wait until this comes out. I really wanted to finish after seeing the first ep fansubbed. I was curious to know how many more episodes there were and then I checked ANN. I was pleased to know that the 3rd DVD just came out. So now come 'April' we'll have all 3 to watch.

Guess, I'll have to put together a shopping list of 'Go Nagi' flicks that I still need to pick up.

Old 2007-03-27, 15:28   Link #12
chrno

Well, it's almost time for all that good stuff to be released soon. So the first volume of 'Enma' will be out. I noticed that it's a subbed only. Can anyone tell me how this whole deal with 'Bandai' and the new label works? Also, any particular reason some of the new releases are "sub" only? Since this is being released under the 'Honneamise' label.

Old 2007-04-02, 03:04   Link #13
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It's Bandai Visual (Honneamise) and not Bandai Entertainment. 2 different companies. The majority of their releases are sub only so far. The Patlabor movies were prob a fluke. Look here and here.

Think of Bandai Visual as catering to the hard core anime fan. So the OVAs will be released thru them as sub only at higher prices per episode than normal for R1.
Old 2007-04-16, 13:31   Link #14
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It's Bandai Visual (Honneamise) and not Bandai Entertainment. 2 different companies. The majority of their releases are sub only so far. The Patlabor movies were prob a fluke. Look here and here.

Think of Bandai Visual as catering to the hard core anime fan. So the OVAs will be released thru them as sub only at higher prices per episode than normal for R1.
Ah, I see now. Then that explains it. I was very confused on this matter. And even more confused now since that new announcement concerning the pricing of the DVDs. People were complaining about paying high prices for the subbed only releases. It's like if you wanted to buy the import copy you could get it, only this time with subs. For the same price.

See me it really doesn't make much a difference. I watch all my stuff subbed anyway. I've been watching anime raw for many years before subtitling even became a factor. And dubbing was easier to maintain. But for me I don't really care for dubbed anime. I just don't care for watching a foreign feature in my native tongue. If I want to watch something dubbed in English I'll watch, 'Simpsons' or 'JLU' or something. But I am tolerant. I do however support dubs mainly for those that want it. But every now and again you'll find something that makes it here subbed only.

I look at 'Enma' as being a non-popular title that would appeal to a select group of fans. Making it's chances of being ported slim. Meaning the only way for it to be ported quickly and get it out of the way, is to be a subbed only. But for ''Gunbuster' and (especially) 'Diebuster', because of their status. I would have expected them to give make a dubbed track for fans. Whether some fans care for it or not.

While this may be a feasible set up is it a good thing?
After reading the article, HOO BOY! Probably not! And again the price is $30 a vol. for 2 episodes. I guess that's a steal, compared to if the series was released 1 vol. every couple of months. I guess 'Bandai Visual' really doesn't get it. Y'know this concept might have worked years ago. And does the hardcore fanbase still exist paying that type of money? Oh well...
Thank goodness most anime is sub and dub. Now I'll have to shell out my ahem..."hardcore" funds to buy this series. Because they'll never compile the episodes into one set. I guess when 'Bandai Visual' realizes that their titles aren't flying out the window they'll change their strategy.

I wonder if another reason for this method was to offer things faster to fight pirating.

Again thanks for the info. Educatin' is GOOD!

Last edited by chrno; 2007-04-16 at 13:47.
Old 2007-05-27, 09:05   Link #15
Lawfer

How does everyone find this anime? Good?
Lawfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 09:28   Link #16
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post

I look at 'Enma' as being a non-popular title that would appeal to a select group of fans. Making it's chances of being ported slim. Meaning the only way for it to be ported quickly and get it out of the way, is to be a subbed only. But for ''Gunbuster' and (especially) 'Diebuster', because of their status. I would have expected them to give make a dubbed track for fans. Whether some fans care for it or not.
Gunbuster is missing its music and effects track so no dub. Diebuster is the sequel and dubbing is expensive for a niche title, so no dub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
While this may be a feasible set up is it a good thing?
After reading the article, HOO BOY! Probably not! And again the price is $30 a vol. for 2 episodes. I guess that's a steal, compared to if the series was released 1 vol. every couple of months. I guess 'Bandai Visual' really doesn't get it. Y'know this concept might have worked years ago. And does the hardcore fanbase still exist paying that type of money? Oh well...
Thank goodness most anime is sub and dub. Now I'll have to shell out my ahem..."hardcore" funds to buy this series. Because they'll never compile the episodes into one set. I guess when 'Bandai Visual' realizes that their titles aren't flying out the window they'll change their strategy.
It's not expected to fly off the shelves. Go Nagai titles are niche titles in R1 apparently and some of those fans are still buying the title. Others are waiting for the online sales in June to start.

@Lawfer: I haven't seen it yet.

Edit: I bought the DVD ( had a discount coupon to use). It has 2 episodes, Seiyuu interviews (Enma and Lola),and a booklet with explanations of characters and sites for ep. 1 and 2, 4 panel manga and a story. The 2 episodes were riveting. The music was very Japanese and fits well. The video looked great imo. Cheap way is to pre-order this one or hope for a sale somewhere.

Last edited by orion; 2007-05-27 at 19:21. Reason: Too lazy to start another post.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 10:55   Link #17
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Rather than Jigoku Shoujo, I was mostly reminded of Ghost Hunt for both the Dollhouse and Cursed House arcs. Scary dolls and labyrinth houses never fail to freak me out if done well. I pretty like this OVA; it's a shame it's so short. And Kappa... or dear....

There's one thing puzzling me though.. maybe it's obvious but I don't know...
Spoiler for OVA 4:
Old 2007-10-06, 11:03   Link #18
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie View Post
Rather than Jigoku Shoujo, I was mostly reminded of Ghost Hunt for both the Dollhouse and Cursed House arcs. Scary dolls and labyrinth houses never fail to freak me out if done well. I pretty like this OVA; it's a shame it's so short. And Kappa... or dear....

There's one thing puzzling me though.. maybe it's obvious but I don't know...
Spoiler for OVA 4:
Spoiler for OVA 4:
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 13:00   Link #19
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Spoiler for OVA 4:
Spoiler for OVA 4: