AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2014-08-22, 10:06   Link #1
crunchytaco
Disabled By Request

My Photoshop journey to Masterhood

Hi, I'm new to Photoshop. I've picked up many techniques this year thanks to people's help.

What I feel like I lack most right now is a sense of aesthetics. When I show my work, I don't get many responses so I know it's not good. But no one tells me what's not good about it so I don't know what to improve on it - be it my color choices or lack of refinement.

So here I want to post my work starting from the beginning, and welcome all critiques in hopes of creating a mini-masterpiece some day. One can dream .

Here's my attempt at abstract art, using Sakaki Yumiko as a model

crunchytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 19:08   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
When I think of "photoshop", I tend to think of fusions and joke images. Like cropping a character from one show out of an image, and putting her into an image from a different show featuring that show's characters, perhaps to advertise something like a crossover fanfic. Or maybe using a popular meme to make a photoshop image poking fun at a particular anime character or show.

So I'm probably not the best judge of what you're calling photoshop.

Simply as artwork, what you created above loves very well-done and, well, artistic to me. It's definitely not hard to see the skill and talent behind the work.

That being said, I'm not sure if your photoshop is artwork just for the sake of art (i.e. creating something visually pleasing), or if you're trying to say something about this particular character. While your image is lovely, it also strikes me as a bit ominous if I take it seriously. In other words, is the point of your image that this character (who I'm unfamiliar with) is kind of insane?

I don't know if that's a pen or a knife she's holding there. So, by extension, I don't know if that dark spot on her face should make me think "spilled ink" or "blood". If you're going for disturbing ambiguity here, then well done.

Until I know what you're aiming for with your photoshop work here, there's not much more I can add. If you simply want to know how it looks, well, it looks very nice, though it could leave mental impressions that you may or may not want it to give.
Old 2014-08-22, 20:15   Link #3
crunchytaco
Disabled By Request

Dear God, your analysis just put it in another perspective I didn't give one consideration about until now .

I never thought of the type of impression I was giving off. I'm kinda of embarrassed now. I was just going for a nice look but I could see how someone could see a crazed look here.

The mess on her body is spaghetti sauce and that metal tool she's using is to scrape off the mess she made in the apartment.

Thanks, your critique made me think but also made me feel more confident in the aesthetic department.
Old 2014-08-22, 20:41   Link #4
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Definitely an interesting look, seems like you've been using masks and some custom filters/brushes. Always good to experiment!

I think what makes it a bit confusing for me is the shape of the main component. The lead-in from the right makes it seem like a flowing piece, but then you hit the other arm and it hits what seems to resemble a shadow. So in the sense of attempting "abstract" themes, it detaches itself from reality somewhat enough.

If "abstract art" is what you're after, it should really take no form that can be "defined" immediately. The most famous abstract paintings are studied for life and still not understood. Jackson Pollock's abstract spray methods and Kazimir Malevich's "The Black Square" (it's literally a black square on a canvas) are some such examples.

But hey, now I'm just spewing art terms. The important thing is, your piece is quite strong from how much stuff from the last thread you utilized. I say keep strong at it! I only see things getting better and better from here.
Old 2014-08-22, 21:27   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
An artistic portrayal of someone scraping spilled spaghetti sauce away?

Umm...to be honest my first impression was that she was a yandere and was doing something in the presence of her obsession like Yuno from Mirai Nikki. >_<
Old 2014-08-23, 15:13   Link #6
crunchytaco
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroi Sekai View Post
Definitely an interesting look, seems like you've been using masks and some custom filters/brushes. Always good to experiment!

I think what makes it a bit confusing for me is the shape of the main component. The lead-in from the right makes it seem like a flowing piece, but then you hit the other arm and it hits what seems to resemble a shadow. So in the sense of attempting "abstract" themes, it detaches itself from reality somewhat enough.

If "abstract art" is what you're after, it should really take no form that can be "defined" immediately. The most famous abstract paintings are studied for life and still not understood. Jackson Pollock's abstract spray methods and Kazimir Malevich's "The Black Square" (it's literally a black square on a canvas) are some such examples.

But hey, now I'm just spewing art terms. The important thing is, your piece is quite strong from how much stuff from the last thread you utilized. I say keep strong at it! I only see things getting better and better from here.
Yep! I've been taking it as far as I could challenge myself. I didn't plan on getting serious about this at first, but it's been non-stop fun. The foundation tools you handed me have been essential in every work I've put in to.

Hey if you know art theories then please share it. It's not going to hurt my progress any you know that .

Have you started teaching a class? I'd think you'd do well.

(Yandere is so harsh :P. I'm going to attempt to do a Yandere next and see if I'll get the opposite effect.)
Old 2014-08-23, 16:04   Link #7
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchytaco View Post
Yep! I've been taking it as far as I could challenge myself. I didn't plan on getting serious about this at first, but it's been non-stop fun. The foundation tools you handed me have been essential in every work I've put in to.

Hey if you know art theories then please share it. It's not going to hurt my progress any you know that .

Have you started teaching a class? I'd think you'd do well.

(Yandere is so harsh :P. I'm going to attempt to do a Yandere next and see if I'll get the opposite effect.)
It's great you're enjoying it so much. I won't have to make a whole video explaining this, so I'll point it out here:

When making a new document, take note of the Resolution and Color Mode boxes. Defaults are set to 72 PPI (pixels per inch) and RGB colour respectively, but it all depends on what you're designing for. Small to medium sized images that you don't plan on resizing/printing can be kept at these settings.

When going to print or doing something like a digital painting where you'll come across resizing, change the resolution to 300 PPI and colour mode to CMYK colour. When you bump the pixels per inch, you give yourself much more room to edit tiny details without getting that blurred effect. When you go to print at something like 600+ PPI, you won't get this blocky result.

It's been widespread info for colour modes, but just in case: RGB is the Red/ Green/Blue, where variants of these three colours are mixed to define all of your colours. CMYK uses the primary four toner cartridges in a printer for more depth, Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black (or Key, to fill the acronym).

As for art theories, I just know what I know. If any situation arises where I can help with it, but I'm not like a regular patron of high class museums and a connoisseur of art history or something.

I'd find it quite awkward to be "teaching" when I'm a student. I'd like to think I just share what I know so more people can get into doing stuff.

I look forward to your rainbow-sprinkled yandere glory.