2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-12-20, 09:41   Link #21
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Considering how Masahiro was introduced and how quickly he was killed, I honestly felt nothing. It is so predictable that you just know the MS hugging scenes will end with someone dying.
I don’t know about you, but the feels that I get is not really from the death itself but mostly from the way the show (almost) realistically portray how child soldiers who have been brainwashed or heavily doctrinated react to outsider who wanted to help them and talk them out of it (family or not). They won’t take it kindly (at least not instantly). Especially in Masahiro’s case where he felt further heartbroken & betrayed after Akihiro said that he found his own “family” during Masahiro’s absence and that he already gave up on Masahiro back then. That’s one good writing right there, and it really hit me. Unlike Shinn Asuka and his irrational blaming of the ORB nation for his family’s demise, Masahiro’s anger and frustration in this ep felt more real (at least for those who are familiar with the case of child soldiers who have been psychologically “molded” in a certain way). I mean, we got a similar case IRL with Hitler’s Youth during WWII and the African and middle-eastern child soldiers. Even if the portrayal in this episode is still a bit cliche with both Aki & Masa conveniently have the chance to talk that long in the middle of a battle in the middle of space debris floating around them, the show (admirably) is still able to jam a realistic element or two in it about how hard it is to “rescue” child soldiers and talk them out of their “occupation” which is also the case in real life. Proves you that there's no Disney-fying of real issues in this show. Masahiro dying is just a cherry on top.

Quote:
I wish that they had focus more on Akihiro's hypocrisy, you know, telling about Masahiro he can have a new family while Mika killing his old "family"left and right. It is no surprise that Masahiro went crazy.
I agree with some of the points above, but I don't think calling it Aki's hypocrisy is right, coz Aki doesn't know that Masahiro consider the other kids as his own family (then again, is he? They might just be comrades to each other). All he can think of is that Masahiro was being forced to fight. If anything, their situation is more of an Irony than hypocrisy from Aki's part. And the part about Mika killing the other children left and right, well, Barbatos is no Freedom. As good as Mika is, he doesn't have the luxury (both skill & technology) to perfectly disable the enemy-MSs like Kira did. It's kill-or-be-killed situation. The fact that the Man Rodis are tougher MSs compared to the Grazes which Mika has been facing only strengthen the notion.

Quote:
Mika is badass, but honestly at this point he's pretty bland and zero development. He stays the same character as the 1st episode while Orga getting lots of development and interactions. I hope that will change soon
I disagree with the “Zero development”. As you can see yourself, Mika has learnt to smile more, he has learnt the importance of literacy and to respect Kudelia’s effort and be a lot more kinder to her (the bit where he kindly offered a blanket and Mars Palms to Kudelia in episode 5 is definitely not something “episode-1 or ep-2 Mika” will do). He also has learnt about the “Tekkadan family” and learnt to broke free from the chain of his “I have to continually impress Orga in order to not be left behind”-mindset, and some other developments. Not every development has to be overly displayed on the surface. Sometimes, you have to notice the subtle ones. At this point (episode 12), Mika’s character is already more developed than, say, Heero Yuy, Garrod Ran, Judau Ashta, Shinn, and even Kamille himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchadnis View Post
i know some will hate what i am bout to say .. but can they make Kudelia any dumber? and no im not being biased either , but so far as a "heroine" she doesnt have much credit yet .. Atra feel more like one then she is ...
Yes, they can. They can turn her character into Relena Peacecraft which I'm glad they didn't (so far). And further argument already presented by Galaxian & Pen3 in the previous page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
The first couple of fights were good, but the last ones have been lacking in impact. So, while the action is still far better than stuff like G-Reco, it pales in comparison to the drama and characters presented in the show. Just sayin'.
I feel the opposite. Technically and visually-speaking, the fights in G-Reco blows IBO's fights out of the water. But when it comes to emotional investment in each fight, IBO crushes G-Reco under its toe.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2015-12-20 at 11:55.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 09:43   Link #22
Pen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
& i thought the ships' engine humming noises sounded like Helicopters.
I didn't notice any helicopter noises. Since you're the expert and heard what the space ship engines sounded like in real life, i guess they fuked up.

Quote:
I wish that they had focus more on Akihiro's hypocrisy, you know, telling about Masahiro he can have a new family while Mika killing his old "family"left and right. It is no surprise that Masahiro went crazy.
Well to be fair, Masahiro doesnt consider any of those guys family.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 09:58   Link #23
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
I didn't notice any helicopter noises. Since you're the expert and heard what the space ship engines sounded like in real life, i guess they fuked up.
to be fair a space ship might not produce noises as in the vacuum of space as from the outside but probably can on the inside of the ship due to air for life support systems, the vibrations goes through the air unless the engine happens to be either the quiet type or the ship or its engine compartments are sound proofed,

also the noises from made by the engines differ from one to another, it depends what type of model you are using, several different types of engines don't make the same type of noises,

& the ships making Helicopter like noises was only just my own opinion, somebody else might hear a totally different noise, like a motorboat or something.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 10:12   Link #24
ReddyRedWolf

Anybody else noticed Atra is really working hard for the OT3 to happen?

Getting Kudelia to help make Mika's lunch sandwich and reassuring her Mika would be fine and return to them.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 10:48   Link #25
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

anyone else think Pedro might be what Masahiro's group's version of Orga? the one that unites the boys & would stand up against & escape their cruel superiors one day? but Mika somehow ruins that plan?

Last edited by Faux Mecha; 2015-12-20 at 11:07.
Old 2015-12-20, 11:05   Link #26
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

Obelisk ze Tormentor really caught the same idea I have on today's episode.
Old 2015-12-20, 11:19   Link #27
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Did I just watch an episode where the talking actually mattered? With exposition and strategy? And character development was actually quick and to the point without being draw out and boring? And the action took up almost half the episode? There actually might be hope for this! Now if only Masahiro didn't do his "naw man I don't want to be rescued okay I saved you while I got hamma'd" shtick this would have been fine.
Quote:
they were malnourished
Where did you get that idea from? We haven't seen them without their shirts off nor did they mention such thing.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 11:52   Link #28
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

So that's how gravity works
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 12:02   Link #29
tiatiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
Did I just watch an episode where the talking actually mattered? With exposition and strategy? And character development was actually quick and to the point without being draw out and boring? And the action took up almost half the episode? There actually might be hope for this! Now if only Masahiro didn't do his "naw man I don't want to be rescued okay I saved you while I got hamma'd" shtick this would have been fine.

Where did you get that idea from? We haven't seen them without their shirts off nor did they mention such thing.
go watch carefully at 8:36 where mashiro and his friend eat you see how their bone showing witout any muscle or anyhing they are malnourished only given one bar for 1 person
tiatiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 12:04   Link #30
Twi

Crap, those kids were in the same exact situation as Tekkadan before Orga saved them by coup. Seeing them all die miserably is just sad. And Masahiro, the way I see it is that he snapped, but he did push Akihiro out of the way.
Old 2015-12-20, 12:22   Link #31
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Certainly a sad situation. In a sense these kids could have been fine if they had just turned on the pirates immediately. Though that's hardly a realistic situation considering what they've been through over the past few years and recently losing an ally. Instead just get wiped out by perhaps the one group in the entire solar system that could empathize with them and could have taken them in.

Sadly it's no wonder Masahiro went nuts. With how they lived....just how things go. One thing Akihiro had was time to change his mindset and be pushed in that direction in a relatively safe environment. Here was out in the middle of a battlefield and sadly not as much time for Masahiro to react well to it. Sadly the kid just snapped at the worst time. Though here's hoping Akihiro can live a life proving his brother wrong. Living and eventually passing away peacefully on the surface.
Old 2015-12-20, 13:06   Link #32
kari-no-sugata II

I enjoyed the tactics and combat. Nice setup of using the gravity from multiple Ahab reactors to create an interesting environment - good use of world building. It was also cute to see Mika studying while in the middle of a long range mission. I'm not surprised that the episode ended with a tragedy though.

Wish the writers would do something better with Kudelia. A bit more variety please! If they could at least do the following next episode: she helps prepare a funeral for those that died, including the human debris kids from Bewers and Kudelia sings a lament or something.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 13:22   Link #33
Ryuga

IMO, making this fight in particular exciting with well-done choreography wouldn't mesh with the fact that these are child soldiers that're considered barely human, getting slaughtered.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 13:24   Link #34
Irenesharda

That was a really rough episode.

Most of it was preparation, but when it came down to it Tekkadan and the Turbines were more than enough to take down the Brewers.

However, it came at a huge cost. Basically all the human debris kids died, including Masahiro, who had basically been mentally and emotionally destroyed by his life as a slave. Akihiro wanted to save him, but Masahiro couldn't take the idea of having any kind of hope again. And so he sacrificed himself, saving his brother. And it is really heavy on the heart.

I don't believe in reincarnation, but I can hope that all those poor children who died are now at peace and at rest and that Orga and Mika puts the beat down on what's left of the Brewers.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 13:45   Link #35
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

i could have sworn the reincarnation talk almost sounds like a throwaway joke made to reference the Build Fighters universe, dead suffering people having happy lives everywhere!!...........
Old 2015-12-20, 13:57   Link #36
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Crap, those kids were in the same exact situation as Tekkadan before Orga saved them by coup.
Not really. CGS appears to at least be a more "legitimate" company than some pirate group and CGS certainly feeds its "workers" more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I can hope that all those poor children who died are now at peace and at rest and that Orga and Mika puts the beat down on what's left of the Brewers.
I don't even think reincarnation would be such a good thing, especially if it's related to the idea of karma. The things that these kids must've done, their next lives would probably be even worse.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 13:58   Link #37
Wandering Soul

That was just sad. I didn't expect things would end in a clean and easy way but this was still pretty depressing. Those kids were just too broken by their lives as human debris to even hope. It is noteworthy that Masahiro pushed Akihiro put of the way in the end.

Now the only thing Tekkadan can do is avenge those kids and live a life that proves that it isn't wrong to cling to hope.
Old 2015-12-20, 14:20   Link #38
Irenesharda

What I really like about this series is how they can cause tension and danger and yet still subvert your expectations. I had thought it would be Akihiro and a few other named characters would die. But instead it was the one everyone was trying to save, and I think that made more impact than if it had been Akihiro or Norba, or one of Turbine girls. This show does extremely well at giving tension and emotional weight, without having to resort to simply killing named characters to get an emotional response.

Some shows fail at this. Prime examples are shows like Aldnoah or Captain Earth, where there was zero tension at all because there was no danger or even threat of consequences because everyone knew the heroes would win every time. In this series, the heroes DO win every time, and yet with expert story telling and characters development, I still feel the tension and the possible consequences and even the fear of death, even if the actual kill count is low to nil.

Many I have read think you need to kill named characters to be emotionally effective, and that is quite true most of the time. But sometimes it also can be mishandled by just killing people for the sake of shock value and emotional manipulation. Here, I was able to gain emotional impact and hurt from the death of a character that we had only been introduced to a few episodes ago. I think it was the combination of his relationship with an actual named character and how much Masahiro meant to Akihiro. It was the fact that both Tekkadan and Turbines wanted to save him and were doing their best to do so. It was showing what a horrible life Masahiro and his fellow child slaves were enduring, that collectively made Masahiro's death that much more impactful. The realization that this is what could have happened to Tekkadan's men if they didn't form such a tight knit bond with each other and have such support between each other, with leaders who looked after the group. Masahiro couldn't take the idea of having hope again, his life as human debris destroyed him and it breaks your heart to see him choose death like that.

This will really hurt Akihiro, but I think it will also give him purpose. He was already the leader of the Human Debris in Tekkadan, but I can see him expanding that and going on a campaign to help other Human Debris so that what happened to his brother won't happen to others.

Quote:
Considering how Masahiro was introduced and how quickly he was killed, I honestly felt nothing. It is so predictable that you just know the MS hugging scenes will end with someone dying.
In response, basically what I said above.

Quote:
I can't call Akihiro a hypocrite. He is telling Masahiro that he can have a new family waiting for him with Tekkadan, which was true. Mika was fighting to protect himself and his family, and Akihiro had no knowledge of the other kids. Also, from what Masahiro said, about his family being only his brother and parents, he probably didn't think of the other pilots as "family", they were comrades that hung together and probably friends, but not family. Masahiro has probably seen other human debris come and go, get sold off or die, so he probably refrained from forming and kind of deep relationships. Notice that it was only the red head kid that kept complaining about Pedro, for Masahiro, he kind of just moved on.

Masahiro snapping had nothing to do with his comrades dying, it was his own mentality fracturing at the thought of hope and family when he had decided to do away with both those things, because it would only lead to him being hurt.

Quote:
Mika is badass, but honestly at this point he's pretty bland and zero development. He stays the same character as the 1st episode while Orga getting lots of development and interactions. I hope that will change soon
I can't say he's had zero development, we've seen him change here and there with the construction of Tekkadan. And yet, I also think that characters like him and Atra are not really supposed to make leaps and bounds in development. They are pretty comfortable at where they are and they continue to show more and more layers to themselves, but in the end, they've really kind of grown to most of their potential. Orga and Kudelia are the two characters that seem to have the more dynamic growth and Mika and Atra watch and support them as they do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
Masahiro has been out of his suit twice and the other boys we've seen out of their's once. All of them eat like they're starved, their bones are showing through their skin, and they have little to no muscle mass. It amazes me how they expected these kids to be good pilots when they hardly feed them anything.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 14:35   Link #39
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

If you're trying to take someone hostage why would you hit them with your hammer with lethal force?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 14:59   Link #40
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
That was just sad. I didn't expect things would end in a clean and easy way but this was still pretty depressing. Those kids were just too broken by their lives as human debris to even hope. It is noteworthy that Masahiro pushed Akihiro put of the way in the end.

Now the only thing Tekkadan can do is avenge those kids and live a life that proves that it isn't wrong to cling to hope.
Guess it showed Masahiro didn't consider Akihiro "human debris", unlike himself.