AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-24, 21:47   Link #981
David Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Naru calls Modoka by her first name. If you stop and think about the implications, there's a major clue there.

Naru calls an older woman by her first name. Naru calls his teacher (sensei, master, whatever word you choose) by her first name.

In polite Japanese society, both of those are a serious social faux pas. In both situations, Naru has a lower social status relative to Modoka. He should not address her so informally. However in Western cultures, it's much more common to address people by their first name regardless of your social status relative to that person. That's another clue that Naru wasn't raised in Japan. Furthermore, we can guess that Naru and Modoka's relationship was formed outside the Japanese social order as well. She probably taught Naru his ghost hunting skills in a Western country.
The problem with this analysis is that it is based on a lack of intent by Naru to be rude. When every story arc seems include Naru saying to one of his associates, "If you don't like it, leave", I'm not sure we can count on his rudeness being the result of cultural unfamiliarity. That's not polite in any language.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 22:03   Link #982
David Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post

And here's something I've always been wondering. Is Mai a Japanese? She has brown hair and brown eyes ... that's not usual for a Japanese?
Yeah, she's Japanese. Her conversation with Lin about Chinese versus Japanese wouldn't make much sense otherwise. I've seen live action shows with brown-haired Japanese as well. Apparently it's not all that rare for women to dye their hair brown, to stand out a little but not too much, but in Mai's case it's probably just an artistic convention so she won't blend into the background with the many other adolescent females who appear on the show.
Old 2007-02-24, 22:41   Link #983
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Since Manju brought it up...it's back...my What do we know about Naru? list (with my comments in parentheses, other people's comments in quotations, and new clues are in bold):

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston View Post
The problem with this analysis is that it is based on a lack of intent by Naru to be rude. When every story arc seems include Naru saying to one of his associates, "If you don't like it, leave", I'm not sure we can count on his rudeness being the result of cultural unfamiliarity. That's not polite in any language.
True. It possible that Naru may have been intentionally rude by calling Madoka by her first name; however, considering Naru's characteristic I don't think he would be that rude - especially in a country where such a thing holds so much significance and many implications. Also, if one were to consider Madoka's own characteristic, we would surely have seen some kind of reaction from her if it was the case of impropriety - like how she scolded him for being rude by saying the above quoted statement. So, personally, I think it is a clue about Naru.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 23:03   Link #984
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Since Manju brought it up...it's back...my What do we know about Naru? list (with my comments in parentheses, other people's comments in quotations, and new clues are in bold):

Spoiler:

I still dont agree with the fact that Naru lies....I dont think he does
Spoiler for last part of your post:
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 23:10   Link #985
honeysempai
Lins #1 fangirl / LinxMai

Send a message via AIM to honeysempai
Spoiler for PreSage's list:

I think Naru bends the truth....

And this icon is dedicated to Impz. I was taking caps, and the pic of Masako gave me some inspiration. Even though it was against my belief that NaruxMai are forever! Hope you like!

Last edited by honeysempai; 2007-02-24 at 23:21.
honeysempai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 23:24   Link #986
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysempai View Post

I think Naru bends the truth....

And this icon is dedicated to Impz. I was taking caps, and the pic of Masako gave me some inspiration. Even though it was against my belief that NaruxMai are forever! Hope you like!

......Masako x Naru is win. BEnding belief is the likes of all Mai x Naru fans who are thinking of a fairytale end which should not happen since Masako is so hot, cute and sweet..

*runs* and steals avatar.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 23:27   Link #987
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

^ you dont give up do you XD

Naru lets people come to their own conclusions, he doesnt give out all the required information. I remember someone pointing out that Naru does lie about something but I forgot what (besides his name) but I still think he doesnt outright lie.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-02-24, 23:56   Link #988
David Johnston

Quote:

True. It possible that Naru may have been intentionally rude by calling Madoka by her first name; however, considering Naru's characteristic I don't think he would be that rude -
Have you considered the possibility that he calls her by her "first" name because she's his sister? While it isn't particularly polite to call your siblings by name without an honorific, it isn't especially impolite either. And for some reason I have the nagging perception that Naru's interest in matters supernatural is a familial thing. Something I read in the manga perhaps?
Old 2007-02-25, 00:05   Link #989
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I had posted before that Naru lies, and I believe he does. The main evidence that changed my mind on this particular fact is the event where he and Mai fell into the manhole. Mai had asked along the line of how he fell in or he also fell in, and Naru said because she didn't let go of his hand - but he had in fact been holding her wrist and so it was he that did not let go of her. Conclusion, Naru told a little white lie.

David had also pointed out that in the first episode, he told everyone that he was going to lie to the principal about the abandoned school to protect (what's her name). However, I wouldn't categorize this as a lie in the same sense that Naru does it personally because this was more or less an agreement he threw out to protect the girl - and not a personal conduct.

So it was the manhole event that changed my mind and says to me that Naru does indeed lie. Also, now that I think about it, he had lied from the very beginning...and it was not in the first case either. He tells everyone his name is Shibuya Kazuya (and Narumi for this arc). That's a lie. (Yes, I usually miss the most obvious - hey, it only took me nearly 20 episodes for that light bulb to turn on .) So there...he lies .

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Spoiler for last part of your post:
Hmm, haven't watched episode 20 yet...actually haven't watched 19 yet either...ack, I'm falling behind again .

Spoiler:

Quote:
If it is true that Naru does that whenever Davis is mentioned would suggest that he knows something about Davis - a personal connection somehow.
Spoiler:

Hmm, Koujo...doesn't that sound like a Japanese name? So that would be his last name then (weren't sure if you had written it in Western or Japanese style, Honey).

I thought Naru reads those books for education purpose and research . Is there something significant about it? Ack, now you've made me curious. Come on, tell me...please...?

Quote:
Have you considered the possibility that he calls her by her "first" name because she's his sister? While it isn't particularly polite to call your siblings by name without an honorific, it isn't especially impolite either. And for some reason I have the nagging perception that Naru's interest in matters supernatural is a familial thing. Something I read in the manga perhaps?
Perhaps, but then Madoka would probably have mentioned that she's his sister. Given her personality, I don't think she would have hid that.
Spoiler:

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2007-02-25, 00:18   Link #990
honeysempai
Lins #1 fangirl / LinxMai

Send a message via AIM to honeysempai
Quote:
Spoiler:

If it is true that Naru does that whenever Davis is mentioned would suggest that he knows something about Davis - a personal connection somehow.

Hmm, Koujo...doesn't that sound like a Japanese name? So that would be his last name then (weren't sure if you had written it in Western or Japanese style, Honey).

I thought Naru reads those books for education purpose and research . Is there something significant about it? Ack, now you've made me curious. Come on, tell me...please...?
Western style. JUST A FAIR WARNING. look down.

Spoiler for FOR LIN DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND JAPANESE & SAW EP19 // READ VOLUME6:

And about why Nary reads those books...... I'm not telling you.... haha!! I can tell you when the series is over. I don't want to spoil it for you!! you should get a LJ account, in a GH com you can read ALL the spoilers about GH & about Naru...

Spoiler for again for Sage's list:

Bun/LKK - do you guys agree with what I said above? I'm not sure if its been mentioned in the novels/manga or if its just fan speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
......Masako x Naru is win. BEnding belief is the likes of all Mai x Naru fans who are thinking of a fairytale end which should not happen since Masako is so hot, cute and sweet..

*runs* and steals avatar.
"sweet?" riiight...... I now need to go make a LinxMaixNaru icon, to wash away the MasakoxNaru.....

Last edited by honeysempai; 2007-02-25 at 01:15.
honeysempai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 00:34   Link #991
David Johnston

Quote:

Spoiler:

That is presumably the case. The only time Lin ever did anything except follow Naru's orders without comment or question was when Naru was going to repeat the spoon trick.

Quote:
Spoiler:
It raises the question. Was Naru pretending to be the assistant because as he said, he knew phonies were going to be there and wanted the funny kid to dance with them, or was he pretending because he was afraid Davis would really be there and didn't want to be noticed by him?

Quote:
It's kind of strange that Lin would adopt a Japanese name. Then again it's kind of strange that Mai never noticed that Lin isn't a Japanese name.

Quote:
Perhaps, but then Madoka would probably have mentioned that she's his sister. Given her personality, I don't think she would have hid that.
Given that she's asking him for a favour and it is obviously important to him that his identity remain secret, I kind of think she would.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I think it's just his favourite colour.
Old 2007-02-25, 09:03   Link #992
Lys

Spoiler for for lin's name:

Madoka told everyone to call her Madoka, so probably everyone calls her Madoka. Did everyone call her Madoka?

I think Naru doesn't always tell the truth, and he lies when it suits him.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 11:34   Link #993
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
meh. you are all taking the complicate route.

The only reason Naru calls his teacher by her first name is because they have a close relationship.
past lovers, childhood friends, whatever. they are close.
Old 2007-02-25, 11:46   Link #994
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Hmmmm Im still on the Naru doesnt out-right lie band wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Spoiler:
As I said before, that already has been answered in earlier epis You dont have to wait til the very end for that.

@honey: Ummmm I think I get what you mean about the books and I think we did cover that in the manga thread slightly.....
Spoiler:

btw you sound very mean in your post

And yeah I think its clear that Madoka is just Naru's sensei, nothing more
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-02-25, 11:58   Link #995
LKK

Oh so much has been discussed since I came here last, I hardly know where to begin with my comments. I guess I'll start with PreSage's What We Know About Naru list for now.

Quote:
15) He only calls Mai and Madoka by first name.
Poor John. Everyone forgets our quiet, shy Roman Catholic priest. Naru calls him by his first name as well.

Quote:
Also, I've always been wondering about Naru and his black clothes (minus his PJs ). There could only be four reasons for wearing black in his case: 1) because the author wanted to go with the ghost theme; 2) the animators are too lazy to have him change clothes ; 3) it's his favourite colour - and he's willing to wear it everyday ; or 4) it is for mourning (i.e. death of someone he knows). Now, considering how sly the author is with the story so far, and if we treat everything as possible clues to the Naru mystery then (4) sounds more plausible because (1) would be just lame, (2) hmm, pausible but not interesting, and (3) Naru needs treatment . If it is true that Naru wears black for a purpose, then it raises the question: why is Naru mourning? And does that have anything to do with GH plotline?
The fact that Naru wears only black (except for hospital gowns and pajamas ) is a fact from the novels. So possibility number 2, the animators are too lazy to have him change clothes, is definitely out. There is a definite reason for Naru's wearing of black. Whether the anime will explain it is still unknown.

Quote:
True. It possible that Naru may have been intentionally rude by calling Madoka by her first name; however, considering Naru's characteristic I don't think he would be that rude - especially in a country where such a thing holds so much significance and many implications. Also, if one were to consider Madoka's own characteristic, we would surely have seen some kind of reaction from her if it was the case of impropriety - like how she scolded him for being rude by saying the above quoted statement. So, personally, I think it is a clue about Naru.
Thank you for saying that. You explained my thoughts on this issue far better than I could have.

While it's true that Naru is often rude to the others in the SPR group, he never conveys that rudeness by the method of addressing them informally. As many times as Naru has made a cutting remark regarding Ayako, he has never demeaned her by addressing her as Ayako. Using the first name as a form of rudeness isn't how Naru chooses to be rude to others.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2007-02-25 at 12:35. Reason: Added comment about Naru not using first names as a way to be rude.
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 12:21   Link #996
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Poor John. Everyone forgets our quiet, shy Roman Catholic priest. Naru calls him by his first name as well.
Ah yes John I almost changed my post above to include him but then saw that the post I was replying to only talked about the females of the group so I think thats why Sage forgot him

Quote:
There is a definite reason for Naru's wearing of black. Whether the anime will explain it is still unknown.
That, of course, if the $64,000 question......its been slightly hinted at but Id be shocked if we get the full reason at this point
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-02-25, 13:25   Link #997
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Updated...so quickly What do we know about Naru? list (with my comments in parentheses, other people's comments in quotations, and new clues are in bold):

Spoiler:

Quote:
Western style. JUST A FAIR WARNING. look down.

Spoiler for FOR LIN DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND JAPANESE & SAW EP19 // READ VOLUME6:

And about why Nary reads those books...... I'm not telling you.... haha!! I can tell you when the series is over. I don't want to spoil it for you!! you should get a LJ account, in a GH com you can read ALL the spoilers about GH & about Naru...
That would make more sense since Koujo sounded more Japanese to me and we know otherwise.

If the reason for Naru reading those books is a major spoiler concerning the Naru mystery then don't tell me. That is one thing that I really don't want to be spoiled.

Quote:
It raises the question. Was Naru pretending to be the assistant because as he said, he knew phonies were going to be there and wanted the funny kid to dance with them, or was he pretending because he was afraid Davis would really be there and didn't want to be noticed by him?
Good point. There is also the fact that Naru doesn't like any publicity whatsoever. It makes me wonder why Naru would go to such lengths to avoid being in the public eye. The only reason I could think of is that he has to be someone rather well known himself, because if he is an unknown name then it would be negligible whether he hides it or not - no one would know him anyway. Of course, there could be a possibility that he is known among a selected few and those are the people he chooses to hide from.

'...the funny kid...' The way you referenced Yasuhara...that's just hilarious. I don't know how much Yasu would appreciate you calling him that, though .

Quote:
It's kind of strange that Lin would adopt a Japanese name. Then again it's kind of strange that Mai never noticed that Lin isn't a Japanese name.
Hah-hah...Mai can be rather dense at times - so I wouldn't put it pass her to not notice that Lin isn't a Japanese name. But you're right, though. It is rather strange that Lin adopted a Japanese name. Unless, as someone else posted, it's simply a kanji translation of his chinese name (which makes me wonder what would his chinese name be like). However, if it isn't then you would wonder if Koujo Lin is his real name. I believe Lin is his real family name but Koujo? Since Naru hides his identity, then why not the same with Lin?

Quote:
Given that she's asking him for a favour and it is obviously important to him that his identity remain secret, I kind of think she would.
Perhaps. Since I've deleted the episode, can anyone tell me if Madoka called Naru, 'Naru'? I can't remember what name she referred to him; that is, if she called him by any name at all at that time. It would be interesting if she also called him 'Naru'.

Quote:
I think it's just his favourite colour.
But to wear all black everyday just because it's his favourite colour? I know Naru is a bit...different but can he be that different?

Quote:
Oh so much has been discussed since I came here last, I hardly know where to begin with my comments. I guess I'll start with PreSage's What We Know About Naru list for now.

Ah, right...sorry John. I added his name to the list. We were talking about Madoka and Mai that I completely forgot our beloved Roman Catholic priest.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2007-02-25, 13:38   Link #998
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:

Perhaps. Since I've deleted the episode, can anyone tell me if Madoka called Naru, 'Naru'? I can't remember what name she referred to him; that is, if she called him by any name at all at that time. It would be interesting if she also called him 'Naru'.
Yes she calls him Naru. In 19 I think, she says something like "You wouldnt come save me Naru?"
Its more apparent in the manga though.
Edit:Gah I was wrong she doesnt say it there but she does call him Naru in the manga, I have yet to find it in the anime tho.

Also SHS has released 20!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-02-25, 13:40   Link #999
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

crap dbl post <_<
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-02-25, 13:47   Link #1000
LKK

Quote:
Adding a bit more to Manju's response. ... There is one time each in episodes 18 & 19 where Madoka uses Naru's name. The SHS subs are using the pronoun you in their translation since she referring to him rather than addressing him directly. However, if you listen to the dialogue, you can hear that Madoka uses the actual word Naru in her speech. (No, I didn't remember all that. I checked. )

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, supernatural