AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-16, 01:45   Link #6541
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Interesting, this is the first time I see how is the green cloth that Oarai team wear under their battle uniforms look like (fully) in both offical art and fanart.

Though, I expect it to be a short-sleeve shirt not a vest.
Old 2013-05-16, 01:49   Link #6542
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Judges could have wanted the pairing as well.
Old 2013-05-16, 01:54   Link #6543
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 07:26   Link #6544
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It is suggested that the flag tank is picked by the judges, so that could alter how one plays a match.
I'm not sure where that idea originated from, but in Ep5, Key flat out says じゃ次はフラッグ車を決めよう (Next, let's decide on the flag tank) - which suggests that it is picked by the teams, not an outside body.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 09:43   Link #6545
Gravitas Free Zone

This appears to be speculation on how people don't get turned into bloody gobbets by match shells.

So, since I can't read it... how exactly is the matter of shrapnel physics being addressed? Because it does appear to acknowledge that somehow.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 10:31   Link #6546
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Guess which tank models are getting the GuP treatment next...

Also, upcoming 1/35 figures and a 1/40000 Oarai Schoolship:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 10:33   Link #6547
arkhangelsk

The readable portions (some are way too small to read) said something about the round being made of Functionally Graded Material and borrowing from flashbang and practice ammunition technology.

Except that the effect it describes is a little different. AFAIK (OK, which is to say checking Wiki), flashbangs are safe because they don't actually break up, while this round does. And practice ammo are just weakened versions of the real stuff or with special features to stop them from flying too far, nothing even close to this.
Old 2013-05-16, 11:36   Link #6548
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Except that the effect it describes is a little different. AFAIK (OK, which is to say checking Wiki), flashbangs are safe because they don't actually break up, while this round does. And practice ammo are just weakened versions of the real stuff or with special features to stop them from flying too far, nothing even close to this.
Wow... ok my take is slightly different... and disturbingly plausible.

The third frame is showing the inside of a GuP shell and is describing a number of it's features... including an infrared imaging system in the nose, and attitude control thrusters of some kind!

The fourth frame reminds us that when a shell leaves the tank's barrel, it has a spin imparted by the rifling for stability.

The fifth and sixth frames describe the forward looking infrared sensing element and how it uses the spin to build a radially scanned image of what's in front of it (in contrast to how a TV scans an image horizontally)

The last frame on the first page is showing how a traditional rectangular raster image and a radially rasterized image may both be use to identify a human form in from the infrared information.

The second page seems to be comparing two things you could do once you have sensed that a human is directly in front of you... detonate early, or divert your trajectory (using the jets on the sides of the shell).

The third panel describes how the four jets are positioned on a single dorsal line of the shell. There are two thrust units with two - possibly reduandant for safety - nozzles each.

The fourth panel shows how by alternating which jet cluster is fired at what point of the spin, the trajectory can be changed. (Note: I'm not actually sure about how plausible the ballistics here, I know there is an significant aerodynamic effect during the shell's flight, but I'm not sure this kind of side thrusting would actually help vector the shell or simply destabilize it and cause it to tumble).

The next three panels seem to be dealing somehow with the issue of shrapnel for when a shell hits close by. I think the suggested solution is that the shell does a radical atitude change and self detonate so that fragments are thrown in a predictable (and thus relatively safe) direction.

Panel 8 I'm guessing talks about safety of areas outside the combat zone and is suggesting shells are automatically remotely detonated when they leave a geofenced area.

Panel 9 is obviously Yukari exhorting us to RESPECT the Senshado shell!

Panel 10 I'm at a loss for... seems to be fabric... maybe the GuP uniforms are specially IR reflective or emissive?
Old 2013-05-16, 12:34   Link #6549
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Wow... ok my take is slightly different... and disturbingly plausible.
Well, yeah, mostly it is not a bad attempt though I must wonder whether they were really that careful...

Quote:
The fourth frame reminds us that when a shell leaves the tank's barrel, it has a spin imparted by the rifling for stability.
It also mentions about putting a slip ring on the round and using it to run a electrical generator, which is considered more reliable than a chemical battery.

Quote:
The fourth panel shows how by alternating which jet cluster is fired at what point of the spin, the trajectory can be changed. (Note: I'm not actually sure about how plausible the ballistics here, I know there is an significant aerodynamic effect during the shell's flight, but I'm not sure this kind of side thrusting would actually help vector the shell or simply destabilize it and cause it to tumble).
Well, since the rockets are supposed to only activate if it is about to hit a human, if it destabilizes it probably will still divert from its trajectory enough to miss the human, so it'll still have done its job.

Quote:
The next three panels seem to be dealing somehow with the issue of shrapnel for when a shell hits close by. I think the suggested solution is that the shell does a radical atitude change and self detonate so that fragments are thrown in a predictable (and thus relatively safe) direction.
What bothers me is the method of handling the fragmentation. If we ignore the flashbang and practice ammunition analogies, in the first frame the author seems to be trying to make the round like a concussion grenade (minimal and easily destroyed casing to minimize the fragments in favor of blast), only more perfect. Which is plausible and even consistent with what is shown on screen - the apparently larger than life blast effect of a Senshado round (enough to blast a Panzer III off the road) is well known. The blast may have been deliberately enlarged to ensure complete combustion/vaporization of the round into gases to avoid fragmentation.

The problem is that in the 2nd part, the author effectively changes his theory. Now the round is some kind of double sided shaped charge (the author makes references to HEDP rounds now) that diverts most of the blast (and fragments)along the longitudinal axis of the shell (and yes, the round is rotated upwards). The problem is that obviously if you are going to divert the blast, the side walls will have to be stronger to help contain the blast in the right direction. Which leads to a) it not breaking at all, in which case a solid shell threatens the human or b) closer to our real world ... it'll break and make ... fragmentation! Yes, less than a full blown HE-FRAG shell, but still way too much for it to be close to being safe. The 2nd explanation is implausible and also antithetic to the 1st explanation.

Of the two, IMHO the 1st explanation is more plausible and the author should just have stuck to that. One can always say the camera is vulnerable to heat and vaporizes easily...

Quote:
Panel 8 I'm guessing talks about safety of areas outside the combat zone and is suggesting shells are automatically remotely detonated when they leave a geofenced area.
Yes, they have ring-laser gyros and GPS...

Quote:
Panel 9 is obviously Yukari exhorting us to RESPECT the Senshado shell!
She's talking about how many different manufacturers' technology went into making the modern Senshado shell. Readable names are NEC and JAXA.

Quote:
Panel 10 I'm at a loss for... seems to be fabric... maybe the GuP uniforms are specially IR reflective or emissive?
She's talking about what happens when the round hits, about how great it is that we can use all this tech at reasonable prices, and goes on to start talking about a "sensing sheet" that is buried inside the well known "Carbon". At this point, the text shrinks to unreadability, and Saori says "Ah, break's over. Let's meet after school."
Old 2013-05-17, 09:58   Link #6550
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Preview of upcoming releases:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

First and largest part previews the Oarai Event Fandisc. 2nd part previews the Anzio battle OVA, with what seems to be a couple of seconds of new scenes mixed in. Third part just announces the movie for 2014.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2013-05-17, 11:18   Link #6551
arkhangelsk

Oh good. From the looks of it, they'll keep the final result of Anzio just like the anime
Old 2013-05-17, 14:05   Link #6552
Top Sergeant

I see that the flag tank for the Anzio fight is the 38t.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 00:44   Link #6553
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Images
The Truth
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2013-05-18, 08:22   Link #6554
Gravitas Free Zone

It's not as terrifying as the perm.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 09:21   Link #6555
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

not afro

*dissopointed*

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 01:49   Link #6556
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Sakura Doujin: Girls Und Panzer Museum held at Gamers Akihabara

I wanna go ;-;

Old 2013-05-20, 01:51   Link #6557
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

...why you so cool, Japan...? Why US never get cool things like that...? *jealous*
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 02:28   Link #6558
willx
Nyaaan~~

So, interesting, I see tons of materials and stuff on here all the time..

But when I was in Japan, and I went to Animate and other places there is actually very little GuP merch relative to the usual Gunpla, etc.
Old 2013-05-20, 07:26   Link #6559
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Hana, y u so hungry

Old 2013-05-20, 18:33   Link #6560
jdennis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Hana, y u so hungry
It helps her boobs grow.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks