Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-05, 20:25   Link #1
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Is My-Otome worth watching?

yah that is my question. I recently seen Mai hime and liked it alot, except the lesbian relationship that was happening.

I have seen stuff about mai otome not being good as mai hime, and also that mai otome is tottaly different from mai hime, excep some of the characters comeing back from the orgional.

The main thing i want to know is what are the characters like, are they fun as the characters in mai hime? is there some kind of romance element in the show?, how is the action?

and finally is this show worth watching?

I need your honest opinion on this show.

Thank you very much.
Old 2006-02-05, 20:31   Link #2
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
In my opinion the show is worth watching. what you have to keep in mind is its an investment just like you invested time in Mai Hime. Otome starts off slow but it keeps you guessing to whats going on and you start to speculate about whats going to happen next. Yes the original charcters from HIME are back but in diffrent roles and some new charcters show up t. Otome has just reached a very important Arc in the series at Ep 17 if you watch up till their i dont think you will be disappointed more than anything else you can look forward to some good laughs and some kick ass fights between girls. But thats just my opinion i hope iv helped a little
Old 2006-02-05, 20:41   Link #3
Eclipze

If you are looking/expecting something as great as MH, then no, you will disappoint yourself.

Its much better if you watch it as another series, since most people tend to compare MO to MH too much that because the similar events(deaths, drama) only recently started.
Old 2006-02-05, 21:21   Link #4
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
yah that is my question. I recently seen Mai hime and liked it alot, except the lesbian relationship that was happening.
A fifteen year old male from Canada who doesn't like lesbians in anime? What is this world coming to?

But in all seriousness... the shoujo ai part is more prevelant in Mai Otome than in Mai HiME. If it bothers you that much, you probably shouldn't watch it. But if you stomach it... feel free.
Old 2006-02-05, 21:28   Link #5
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

hahha, hey dude dont think im white, as the description says that im brown, brown in meaning that im musilim. Yes i was born in Canada. Its not that i did not like the lesbian relationship, i just thought it was kind of useless, they could have perfectly made the characters straight, such as hooking up natsuki with the kendo captain guy.

I dont mind this lesbian relationship in a comedic way, but if its quite serious, i mean the way they had it for the anime mirage blaze, then that is something.
Old 2006-02-05, 21:54   Link #6
Solitaire

Hehe I have to agree with you on the lesbian aspect...I hope my age or where I'm from isn't brought up either >>. I think that if you give the series enough time to develop and what not it's worth a watch. While I do think its not as great as Mai HiME yet anyway...It's still the only among the few current new anime that I think is even worth anticipating each week xD. It's one of my top five anime.
Old 2006-02-05, 21:55   Link #7
User33703
Disabled By Request

I personally think Mai-Otome is a decent anime, but compared to Mai-Hime, it just doesnt compare. Mai-Otome has some different factors that they choose to focus on. Like the fact that politics and how Otomes are used, seem to be more important then how HiMES were used in Mai-Hime. People talk about how Otome has gotten more serious just recently, but I always believed that it was that serious from the earlier episodes. The atmosphere might have not spoken it, but the behind-the-scenes sure did. If I'm pretty sure, atleast once in all 17 episodes was a scene talking about some "evil" playing an important role. Anyways, I still think you should try out Mai-Otome. If you can stomach the light shoujo-ai tones, it should be an enjoyable experience for you. (And try not to constantly compare it with Mai-Hime, for it dampans your expectactions .)

Quote:
hahha, hey dude dont think im white, as the description says that im brown, brown in meaning that im musilim. Yes i was born in Canada. Its not that i did not like the lesbian relationship, i just thought it was kind of useless, they could have perfectly made the characters straight, such as hooking up natsuki with the kendo captain guy.
Huh, what does you being Musilim have to do anything with disliking lesbian relationships in Anime ? And er, I'm not sure about other members of this board, but I dont think homophobia is very loved here. And plus, Natsuki and Shizuru would have not developed in to the wonderful characters they are now, if it wasn't for that lesbian relationship. I'm sure the Natsuki we have now would be nothing of the sort, if she was somehow put together with the captain kendo guy (I never do get his name right.)
Old 2006-02-05, 22:31   Link #8
djmaca
My Girl ↓

If your the person who isn't bothered with all the lesbian thing and doesn't mind killing off your best friend for crushing on your 25 year old father...

Anyways its a decent anime. Sunrise won't just give us something bland....
Old 2006-02-05, 23:08   Link #9
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
Huh, what does you being Musilim have to do anything with disliking lesbian relationships in Anime ? And er, I'm not sure about other members of this board, but I dont think homophobia is very loved here. And plus, Natsuki and Shizuru would have not developed in to the wonderful characters they are now, if it wasn't for that lesbian relationship. I'm sure the Natsuki we have now would be nothing of the sort, if she was somehow put together with the captain kendo guy (I never do get his name right.)

well im not going to get religious here, but being a muslim we cant have any homosexual relationship, and should not really be exposed to it. That is how i would say it breifly, but ahh im not very, very religious, i mean i believe in my religion, but this is just a cartoon.

In my opinion i liked natsuki better before you got know anything about the relationship between shizuru and natsuki, and also i liked shizuru better before when she was the president, and drinking tea all the time.

Thats just my opinion, i all as well will give this series a chance. Thanks for the comments people
Old 2006-02-06, 00:37   Link #10
lemondude
"super lemon"

4 words: is life worth living!!!
There's your answer
Old 2006-02-06, 06:13   Link #11
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwhyenen
I'm sure the Natsuki we have now would be nothing of the sort, if she was somehow put together with the captain kendo guy (I never do get his name right.)
Takeda.

On topic, I'm really not sure why someone who doesn't like lesbians in anime would watch this show. For example... I don't enjoy watching a show about female characters fawning over a sole male character. Therefor, I avoid Shuffle. It doesn't make Shuffle any worse of a show... its just that I know what it is, know I won't enjoy it, and don't watch it myself. So... lets be clear on this: given your views on homosexuality, you will certainly have to screen parts of this show out. If your comfortable with that, go for it. But don't complain when you get yuri thrown in your face
Old 2006-02-08, 18:59   Link #12
shikamarufoo

I feel you on the lesbian thing too...although I think lesbian action is nice, but I don't like it in most of my animes unless it has to do with the story or whatnot.
Though i think not trying Mai Otome after watching Mai Hime would be a big mistake. Most of the characters return and if you watched Mai hime I'm pretty sure you can't get enough of at least one of the characters there. The story line is pretty good and getting better and the whole lesbo thing doesn't play a big role in MO...
Old 2006-02-09, 16:16   Link #13
stretch87
Anime Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
hahha, hey dude dont think im white, as the description says that im brown, brown in meaning that im musilim...
first of all, what does being white have anything to with anything . secondly, not all brown people are muSLIM . alright, now that i'm done being a dick i'll get to the point.

wicked animation + good action scenes + interesting plot = mai otome

As usual though, i recommend that you watch Beck before you watch anything else
Old 2006-02-09, 21:58   Link #14
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
first of all, what does being white have anything to with anything . secondly, not all brown people are muSLIM . alright, now that i'm done being a dick i'll get to the point.
Yah i was just being a little sterotype.

anyways im going to check out the show, and see for my self how it is. Thanks for the comments.
Old 2006-02-10, 13:24   Link #15
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Mai Otome plot is now starting to build up, th first episode may be a bitt not dramatic and sometimes plain annoying but right now its getting beter, i would suggest you stick around and follow it, it can get quite interesting
Closed Thread