AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 10:00   Link #221
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Drop show you watching isn't so simply (I can't speak for you though). Even if it has Sh*ty character and plot, once you know about them you can't help but feed yourself with masochistic hope it will get better in some point, even if it's obvious it willl never happen. (I watched whole Guilty crown, and it took me half year after it went to hell to finnaly drop Kimi no Iru Machi).

So even if people complain about show, you have to know we are in pain ourself (You can coun't on me complain a lot about Valvre btw ) That said, fortunetely GKMP isn't that case for me
I think it’s relative to how much you feel invested to the show (either for the characters, story, or the franchise). For example, since I’m a Gundam fan, I feel obligated to watch every animated project of the franchise (minus the kiddy stuff like SD Gundam). Thus, I have to bear with Gundam AGE for more or less a year (during its airing). It’s really painful (especially watching the 3rd generation trainwreck), but I was helped by the presence of some enjoyable characters. On the other hand, I have no problem whatsoever dropping anime like, say, Sasami-san @ Ganbaranai after just two episodes coz neither the story nor the characters work for me.
Old 2013-04-22, 23:21   Link #222
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I just want to slap that old Commander guy...stop giving foolish commands behind the frontline. He considers the kids as mere tools they created for war and not human beings.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 23:26   Link #223
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I do wish they weren't trying so weakly to add some drama into this. "Ho-yay we Coordinator'd some kids to be warmachines now we're grappling somewhat with the reality of it." Could've been done better.

Apart from that, I'm just coming along for the ride. It IS kinda fun to watch, and I'm still waiting for the five unit gattai.
Old 2013-04-23, 08:02   Link #224
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I do wish they weren't trying so weakly to add some drama into this. "Ho-yay we Coordinator'd some kids to be warmachines now we're grappling somewhat with the reality of it." Could've been done better.

Apart from that, I'm just coming along for the ride. It IS kinda fun to watch, and I'm still waiting for the five unit gattai.
I dunno if the intent is really to add "drama" to the show, rather than to create a more expansive and interesting organizational structure. I do agree that many things in the show so far could probably be done better, and it's far from perfect. Sometimes the pace of the developments or the comedy doesn't work as well as it should, but I do appreciate the show for taking the time to lay the foundation of a setting which can support a 24 episode series well.

I think the show actually intentionally downplays the dramatic elements of the story in favor of something a bit more lighthearted. There's an undercurrent of concern and conflicted morals among the adult characters, but they generally don't want these concerns to really affect the pilots, and by extension the audience. I think it's a pretty interesting balance in the writing, but the actual pace of the story could definitely be improved.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 08:46   Link #225
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Ep.04:

Spoiler for first half:

EDIT:
Spoiler for second half:

Next episode should include more battles.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-04-25 at 10:58.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 12:24   Link #226
Tenzen12

Spoiler for first half:

It was MJP who rethreated not enemy. Doberman only provided enough firepower to recover all units beforehand.

PS: Rin-Rin is officialy my favourite female character of season (Why the hell is Myuki-san awesome in everything she does?).

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-04-25 at 12:36.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 12:38   Link #227
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Well, there is a second team now, maybe it'll get interesting.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 13:19   Link #228
hai_san

Pretty good 4 ep, story and characters get more depth, so the white hair Girl from OP is actually Alien Princess from the enemies?

Last edited by hai_san; 2013-04-26 at 06:50.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 21:05   Link #229
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

-15%

lol
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 22:10   Link #230
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I like it that they give more screentime to Rin-Rin’s inner conflict as an instructor of MJP. It really gives her some depth. Not much from the Failed Five yet, but I suppose we’ll see them developed throughout the series. Also, I must say that I really glad that this anime has an actual instructor monitoring our young-pilot MCs instead of letting them loose (Gundams anyone?). It might not be unique, but at least it’s rare enough nowadays. In many other mecha series, we mostly get characters acting as superiors to the MCs, not actual instructors. And even if there’re any instructors, they didn’t get as much screentime like in this series.
Old 2013-04-26, 08:56   Link #231
ReddyRedWolf

The whole MJP pilots remind me of SRW OG's School. Augmented pilots without a past with their own quirky personalities.

Team Rabbits were not originally conceived as team but individual aces. This sets them apart from other engineered kids such as Team Doberman. Team Doberman I assume is conditioned from the start as team players. Sort of like Bronzo class or Argent class of School.

This whole war reminds me of Macross' Space War One. Where neither side can understand each other due to culture. The alien's culture it seems from their words and actions are a hunting culture. They view this war as sport. Where as the Earthers view them as invaders attacking their territory.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 09:12   Link #232
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
The whole MJP pilots remind me of SRW OG's School. Augmented pilots without a past with their own quirky personalities.
Well, at least the children at MJP were only brainwashed once (so far shown) to wipe out their memories. Unlike the children at SRW OG’s School who got brainwashed again and again and again by that ugly granny. They’re lucky their brains didn’t turn into rice porridge .
Old 2013-04-26, 10:54   Link #233
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I quite liked this episode, and GKMP - though obviously the red-headed stepchild of the mecha family this season - is growing on me. It has something of the emotional honesty and heartfelt sloppiness of Symphogear, and it's proving to have a bit more emotional tug than it looked like after the first two episodes.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:15   Link #234
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Does the war with the Wulgaru remind anyone else of the Earth-Minbari War in Babylon 5? There are a lot of similarities in how the war was sparked off by a recon engagement, and how the two sides are unable to understand each other in both language and logic, etc. There are also signs that the Wulgaru seem to value tradition and religion in their culture, while the Earth Federation is steeped in protocol and politics.

It's certainly more interesting and intriguing than yet another space mecha show about revolution via war. I guess we have Valvrave for that this season, which is fine!
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 13:41   Link #235
hai_san

MJP will be a solid perhaps above average anime serie this season. From what i can see atm, VVV will be an emotional train wreck with a lot of controversies, and Sousei no Gargantia will be the sophisticated anime with also alot to discuss too.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:03   Link #236
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 4

It's kinda weird how the reaction to raising children for the frontlines and taking control of their memories is being portrayed as exhaustingly regretful more so than horrific and something to be angered about (which is what my reaction would probably be), but I guess I'll chalk that up to the culture of the setting they have yet to fully expand upon.

I was thinking that commander was just an idiot but it turns out he's not just an idiot: He's so lacking in humanity that it's hard to take seriously. Thankfully there's a real competent commander to counter the other.

The plot seems to be implying that there's a bit of a conspiracy going on with the enemy force being unknown which wouldn't be much of a surprise but I just hope it's not too "evil mastermind" villainous (The Lacus Clyne clone turned out to be from the enemy side and the fact that Izuru apparently saw her before raises more questions). The show is at least very genuine in it's "war is sad" theme that it keeps playing but I wish they wouldn't be anvilicious with it, especially when the context is still lacking. But it is nice how they expand upon the child soldiers that are really struggling to come to terms with their precarious mortality.

It looks like they'll follow the "heroism is an illness" line with Izuru but I wonder about the others and their unique roles. Mr. Blue's stomach problems looks like some ominous foreshadowing...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:28   Link #237
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:35   Link #238
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I do not understand the picture (partially because I've never seen Super Sentai although I think that's a ranger from Gokeiger).
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:36   Link #239
Midonin
Last Engage

Gokai Silver, who's also Ataru's VA, using a Ranger Key to transform into the character he plays here.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 01:52   Link #240
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Gokai Silver, who's also Ataru's VA, using a Ranger Key to transform into the character he plays here.
KITAAA!! And just as I wondering why it was taking so long!! All that's missing now is to have all 5 MJP units combining into one big one.

Is anyone else with me thinking that the death flags for the Doberman have been raised? Especially with that episode preview.

Blue's stomach pains are almost nothing... I could go into the specifics, unless its not H. pylori infection then he's got a bit of a problem with the vagus nerve. IE like a lot of people I know. No good curative treatment, but it won't kill you at least.

Its a delight. MJP has managed to surprise me really, out of the 3 mecha series to screen this season. Valvrave is a huge letdown -- coming after Geass Crown failure, I wonder why Sunrise even dared to try to pull that kind of setting on us one more time. Suisei is on a whole different level, its serious, gives the setting a great deal of thought and is a nerdgasm's dream just watching the technology at work in the first few episodes. But none of them brings me as much enjoyment as I get from MJP.

As long as this series doesn't end up like SEED, where a good ending got retconned into making a sequel which went on to end TERRIBLY, I'll be happy.

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction