AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-16, 08:31   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Character Discussion - Fukube Satoshi

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Fukube Satoshi related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Hyouka fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.
  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-05-16 at 20:32.
Old 2012-05-16, 11:25   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I thought Satoshi's speech during the bike scene (great visually, too) was the most interesting dialogue of the series so far. Anyone think he was making a statement that went a little deeper than just "I'm neon bright by nature"?
Old 2012-05-16, 22:18   Link #3
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I thought Satoshi's speech during the bike scene (great visually, too) was the most interesting dialogue of the series so far. Anyone think he was making a statement that went a little deeper than just "I'm neon bright by nature"?
I agree (well, maybe not most, but still). And to carry over from the general thread, I think this comment will have some connections to why he does not respond to Mayaka's feeling. He may think that his philosophy on life is in conflict with going out with a girl like her. As state, my best guess, considering that Mayaka work as a librarian, is she's too "dull." I certainly cannot see that though.
Old 2012-05-17, 00:46   Link #4
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
I just understood it as Satoshi saying he doesn't want to be "colorless" in the sense that he wants to stand out or be unique. Even Oreki, while being lazy and boring to some, still gives off an impression or a color. Maybe his aversion to the "rose colored" way of school life is his way of saying that he doesn't want to be a color because of school life and that he'd rather be responsible for his own personality. I guess being colorless and being dyed tie in together in that sense.

I don't know. My thoughts are kinda muddled about this .
Old 2012-05-17, 10:16   Link #5
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I agree (well, maybe not most, but still). And to carry over from the general thread, I think this comment will have some connections to why he does not respond to Mayaka's feeling. He may think that his philosophy on life is in conflict with going out with a girl like her. As state, my best guess, considering that Mayaka work as a librarian, is she's too "dull." I certainly cannot see that though.
Maybe Satoshi just doesn't swing that way, if you catch my meaning...

Satoshi has spent a lot of time around two cute girls in this anime, and has shown no real romantic/sexual interest in either. Meanwhile, he often invades Houtarou's personal space in ways that would make Haruhi's Kyon go "Too close".
Old 2012-05-17, 10:33   Link #6
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Satoshi has spent a lot of time around two cute girls in this anime, and has shown no real romantic/sexual interest in either. Meanwhile, he often invades Houtarou's personal space in ways that would make Haruhi's Kyon go "Too close".
Satoshi is Itsuki to Houtarou's Kyon-ness. I can imagine that.
Old 2012-05-18, 00:39   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Well, that was exactly what I was implying with my question - that felt like a statement of defiance that was about more than being "neon bright". But even if that were the case I'd rather not see it be about him crushing on his best friend, but just having a gay character in the cast and not making a big deal or a joke out of it.
Old 2012-05-18, 03:22   Link #8
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Well, that was exactly what I was implying with my question - that felt like a statement of defiance that was about more than being "neon bright".
I agree with you on that interpretation, particularly given the other "hints" that are there.

Quote:
But even if that were the case I'd rather not see it be about him crushing on his best friend, but just having a gay character in the cast and not making a big deal or a joke out of it.
Right. Me implicitly comparing Satoshi to Itsuki Koizumi was more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

It would indeed be a good thing to have a gay character in an anime cast, and him not being a total stereotype and/or joke character.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:12   Link #9
Lilith
Your average fangirl

I like Satoshi, the side-character who doesn't redicule himself most of the time and so doesn't get on my nerves.

I, too, read too much into the bicycle ride speech. Shocking pink? Sewing club? rejected girl? The fujoshi in me wants him to be gay.
Old 2012-05-20, 19:56   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, the not remotely fujoshi in me does too. Because it would instantly make his character unusual in anime, and it would be fantastic to see a character be gay and not only not used for a joke or yaoi bait, but have him actually declare he was happy with who he was and didn't give a flip what anyone else thought. Probably too much to hope for here, but that speech was still the most interesting thing in four eps -a high schooler, and a guy yet, proclaiming that he was happy with himself and anyone who didn't like him could piss off.
Old 2012-06-18, 17:05   Link #11
ginger02

I'm really liking his character the most. He's fun and interesting and smart, and i love his voice. I always feel like there's an air of mystery surrounding him for some reason.
Old 2012-06-19, 10:47   Link #12
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

I like this character very much, he is the troll of "Hyouka". Any direct interactive is pushed onto his friend

Can't wait for some sort of romance feelings or embarrassing moments between Mayaka and him.
Old 2012-06-20, 14:10   Link #13
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!

Is he gay? Would make sense.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:39   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Satoshi is the most interesting character in the cast for me, and that continues to be the case. There’s a subtext in so much of what he says – something hiding behind his cheerful self-deprecation. Perhaps it’s a little bit of anger, some pride, and certainly defiance and a strong sense of self. It was certainly plain in his conversation with Houtarou this time, where he proclaims his lack of any special skill in any area and declares that Mayaka would be a better Sherlockian than he in three months, if she wanted. For himself, Satoshi says, he’s nothing but a traveler good for “nothing more than a stamp on the pamphlet.”

Now, I don’t believe that, Houtarou doesn’t believe it either and most importantly I don’t think Satoshi believes it either. When Hotarou says “I don’t agree with that stuff you’re saying about yourself” (which is an interesting character moment in itself) Satoshi’s answer is quite intriguing – “There are things that interest me more than being a Sherlockian.” He pairs this with a rare drop of the smiling veneer of genki that he always surrounds himself with – just for a minute – when he confesses to a little jealousy of Houtarou. We see the world through Houtarou’s eyes in this series, and hear his thoughts – and Mayaka and Chitanda are fairly transparent personalities – but Satoshi is different. There’s always a sense that we’re just seeing the tip of the iceberg with him, and that makes him the one to keep an eye on.
Old 2012-07-25, 01:04   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sorry, but this needs to be topped after Satoshi's scene-stealing performance at the Festa. He's still the most interesting cast member in a walk.
Old 2012-07-25, 01:17   Link #16
Skane
Anime Snark

The way I see it, he's going to implode and have a mental breakdown soon because he is being outclassed in the areas he still takes pride in.

Cheers.
Old 2012-08-02, 15:21   Link #17
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The way I see it, he's going to implode and have a mental breakdown soon because he is being outclassed in the areas he still takes pride in.

Cheers.
I don't know why, but I'm looking forward to that, only since it would show a new side to him.
Old 2012-08-05, 21:38   Link #18
Qilin
Romanticist

That's quite the inferiority complex he's been harboring. It's been hinted at a few times, but here's where it reaches its tipping point. Before this, he's been quite adept at suppressing his feelings with his easygoing demeanor.

I wonder what triggered Satoshi to suddenly take action...
Old 2012-08-05, 22:44   Link #19
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
That's quite the inferiority complex he's been harboring. It's been hinted at a few times, but here's where it reaches its tipping point. Before this, he's been quite adept at suppressing his feelings with his easygoing demeanor.

I wonder what triggered Satoshi to suddenly take action...
Houtarou started getting famous, triggered by his joining of the Classics Club. Before that, he was probably just a grumpy nobody.

Cheers.
Old 2012-08-06, 00:40   Link #20
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Rather than his popularity, his speech about Chitanda drawing out Oreki's potential is telling to me. As a random guess, I'd say that he doesn't want to be left behind and wants to develop his "potential" as well, which is why he attempted to fill Oreki's role.

I don't really know. I really wonder where they're going with this. I don't know why he'd say something to the effect of, "We're counting on you," if those were the feelings that he has.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters