AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-24, 02:06   Link #23101
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Japan's version of Jean-Marie Le Pen, heh?
He hates gays, otaku, lolicon, manga/anime in general, old women, Chinese, Koreans, Americans, and liberals. And sometimes Japanese as a whole.

And yes, he's made controversal hate speech against all of the above.

At least he's consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Prime Minister of Japan seems like a revolving door position. They don't stick around for long usually.
That's an understatement.
I think they're insane by expecting students to memorize PM names.

I sure as hell don't.
Old 2012-08-24, 03:28   Link #23102
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Breivik verdict: mass murderer declared sane and sentenced to 21 years
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-sane-21-years
Quote:
Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian far-right extremist, has been sentenced to at least 21 years in prison after a court declared he was sane throughout his murderous rampage last year that killed 77 people.

The Oslo district court declared its verdict that the 33-year-old was not psychotic while carrying out the twin attacks, including the shooting of dozens of teenagers attending a political camp.
Max sentence and possible infinite detention after that. Considering the circumstances, seems to be considered the best outcome both by the law system and public opinion.

Old 2012-08-24, 03:38   Link #23103
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

About time! At least we can now move on and not having to see this animal's face for a while.
Old 2012-08-24, 03:56   Link #23104
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I think the majority of the world agrees that Norway should have heavier sentence than max 21 years.

Be it the death penalty, incarcerated for life, etc.
Killing 69 kids, having no remorse, and only serving 21 years is ridiculous. IMO.

He should at least get life in prison.
Old 2012-08-24, 04:40   Link #23105
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends...how many prisoners are killed by other inmates in Normay? I know in some other countries, people that are considerd "baby killers" don't last long in prison before they end up dead.
Old 2012-08-24, 04:51   Link #23106
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I think the majority of the world agrees that Norway should have heavier sentence than max 21 years.

Killing 69 kids, having no remorse, and only serving 21 years is ridiculous. IMO.

21 yrs prison sentence is actually the highest penalty anyone can get under Norwegian Law for committing a crime. This sentence is actually an unprecedented one as far as Norway goes. Whatever the outside world thinks, not many can argue against the Norwegian system. Their system is based on true attempt at reform than anything else.

As far as you and me go from outside looking in, those are just crazy talks. *chants USA USA USA*
Old 2012-08-24, 06:09   Link #23107
killer3000ad

19th century fresco of Jesus ruined by restoration attempt of elderly woman
Old 2012-08-24, 06:31   Link #23108
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
21 years? He's jailed indefinitely.

He's under preventative detention. He remains in jail for as long as he remains a threat to society. And since he was judged sane and criminally responsible, while not regretting his actions and threatening to repeat his actions, he's going to be in jail forever.

-
Lance Armstrong admits to doping since 1999. He will be removed his title for past 7 tour de france medals and also be banned for life in competitive cycling.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...87N03N20120824

Well that turned out really nasty...
Old 2012-08-24, 07:03   Link #23109
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
In bold is the most important thing here: why can't the Chinese let go already? Bad PR or not from Japan, there comes a time when you have to let it go because it's useless to dwell so much into the past especially after almost 70 years when almost everyone from that time is dead or dying.
As a person of Jewish descent, while I agree with moving on from the holocaust, I find the idea of ignoring it abhorrent. Germany freely acknowledges the abhorrence of what it did at the time, so it's easy to move on. However any time I hear holocaust denial I feel a little bit afraid... When it comes to their own list of warcrimes, the Japanese keep hemming and hawing. If they don't acknowledge their past misdeeds, it's impossible to close that chapter, because if they don't, that more likely means that in their hearts they felt that they did nothing wrong in WW2. And so, they will not hesitate to repeat their previous actions. And it's impossible to engage in diplomacy with such people.

So when you hear about schoolbooks removing the Nanking massacre, etc. etc., that's just one step towards the schoolbooks being outright nationalist indoctrination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i think the issue regarding Japanese apologies is that there are no symbolic acts to back it up. Using Germany as example again, after ww2, Germany purge the government of members of the Nazi party, outlaw the nazi party and put warrants for the arrest of the previous leaders of the nazi party as well as scores of mid and low members who were involve in the atrocities.
This.

@Breivik: I saw on the news that he's actually being kept in solitary confinement, in a specially built cell. In compensation, his cell will have 3 rooms. A fitting punishment, I would say.
Old 2012-08-24, 08:02   Link #23110
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Seoul court rules Samsung didn't violate Apple design

*pops champagne*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-08-24, 08:02   Link #23111
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Lance Armstrong admits to doping since 1999. He will be removed his title for past 7 tour de france medals and also be banned for life in competitive cycling.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...87N03N20120824

Well that turned out really nasty...
He doesn't admit to anything, he just stops defending himself from allegations, which is quite a clever move as any evidence gathered will never be shown.

Interestingly all the numbers 2 and 3 from the years Amstrong won titles have all been caught at times using doping. While never been caught, winning those titles is as much an admission of guilt, as a clean athlete at the time could never have been competitive. Probably best to scrap all those races completely from the books.
Old 2012-08-24, 08:06   Link #23112
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Depends...how many prisoners are killed by other inmates in Normay? I know in some other countries, people that are considerd "baby killers" don't last long in prison before they end up dead.
True, but they usualy prevent this to happen.

North Korean leader seeks trip to China for economic help
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87N06R20120824
Old 2012-08-24, 09:48   Link #23113
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Why China Resents Japan and the US

Quote:
The rage of China’s crowds is genuine, and its roots lie in China’s nationalist ideology. The Chinese Communist Party uses its educational and propaganda systems to socialize citizens into a particular understanding of history. Maoist triumphalism has been eclipsed since the mid-1990s by a new “victim narrative” about Chinese suffering.

To most Chinese, the Japanese are “devils,” and the hatred reaches far into the past — from China’s humiliating loss in the Sino-Japanese War of 1894-5 to World War II-era atrocities like the Rape of Nanking. Anti-Japanese anger has both ethical and visceral dimensions, sustaining it unlike other more fleeting forms of nationalism.

And although Chinese nationalist rage is primarily aimed at Japan, it is also directed toward the United States. As Chinese nationalists see it, America is the cause of China’s continuing problems with both Taiwan and Japan. If it were not for the “American imperialists” inserting the United States Seventh Fleet in the Taiwan Strait during the Korean War, they say, Taiwan would long ago have been reunified with mainland China, erasing that “national humiliation.” And Japan’s continuing impertinence is also America’s fault: the United States’ alliance with Japan gives Japanese nationalists the gumption to defy a rising China.
The author is "a professor of international and area studies at the University of Oklahoma and the director of its Institute for U.S.-China Issues."

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-08-24 at 10:01.
Old 2012-08-24, 09:57   Link #23114
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Gunman kills coworker at Empire State Building, wounds 8 others before cop shoots him
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...wDQf7r8qSKX3yO
was the last reported shooting only 1 or 2 week ago ?
Old 2012-08-24, 10:01   Link #23115
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Oh the police shot him? The article I read a while ago this morning said he was 'possibly dead'. I guess everyone what clueless of what happened at that point.
Old 2012-08-24, 10:33   Link #23116
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Been a lot of shootings lately.

If only the boss had a gun to defend himself with, right?
Old 2012-08-24, 10:44   Link #23117
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
war sucks, total war like WW2 sucks even more.

That said, please point out the Allie's concentration camps and genocide campaigns.
The aforementioned Curtis LeMay certainly had something close to a mass extermination campaign in mind when he firebombed Japan. Same with the bombing campaign over Germany.

Not on the scale as Axis warcrimes sure but doesn't make it any less insignificant.

Yet we still get books like Moral Combat that try to excuse these events

Quote:
If no war criminals were included in the memorial, people wouldn't be talking about this.
You know...I somehow actually doubt this. Even without war criminals in Yasukuni, it's unlikely that people who have a bone to pick would remain silent.
Old 2012-08-24, 10:46   Link #23118
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Been a lot of shootings lately.

If only the boss had a gun to defend himself with, right?
Others could say than if the employee did bring his gun at work but of course it was his right to do so...
Old 2012-08-24, 10:53   Link #23119
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

What's the worst job at Google ?

So, any takers ? Just think of the pay if you can survive the trial period.
Old 2012-08-24, 11:13   Link #23120
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

Isn't declaring him insane then throwing him for life in a padded cell more suitable then? Declaring him insane also destroys his credibility

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international