AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-04-06, 20:39   Link #1
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

How to input Japanese text?

Whenever I try to input Japanese text in this forum, like ????????, it comes out as question marks. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
BTW, I know already how to input Japanese in e-mail and elsewhere, but for some reason, the text is not working in this forum.

Last edited by RobertM; 2004-04-06 at 21:01.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:07   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

What browser are you using? Opera seems to have a problem with it, but I could do it with Internet Explorer.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 03:52   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Make sure you view the page in the right character encoding.

In Internet Explorer, see "View" -> "Encoding" in the menu, and pick
one of the Japanese character encodings.

For imputting text I'd recommend the IME (that comes standard with Windows XP).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 04:02   Link #4
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
I've got Opera as well and even firefox, Internet explorer I haven't used for a year or so.. But Opera doesn't seem to have any problem with languages.

Just be sure to have the character base settings right for windows.
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 22:18   Link #5
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

おぉ?Iエンコ?[ディングをJapanese Automatic からShift-JISに変えたら?o来るようになった?I
Thanks for all who made suggestions. You put me on the right track.
Old 2004-04-13, 13:17   Link #6
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
... ... actually i was wondering how other people input japanese

i have a "language bar" that came with windows xp... but it seems that alot of people dont use that bar.......

internet explorer is the way to go... just remember to clean up all of the spyware you will accumulate.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 17:25   Link #7
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
... ... actually i was wondering how other people input japanese

i have a "language bar" that came with windows xp... but it seems that alot of people dont use that bar.......

internet explorer is the way to go... just remember to clean up all of the spyware you will accumulate.
Well, as you can see above, I am still having problems. I use Opera on Windows XP at home, Safari on Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar at work. How can you switch languages in IE without a language bar?

Last edited by RobertM; 2004-04-23 at 17:35.
Old 2004-04-25, 15:19   Link #8
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

for your PCs. if you are running XP, there is a control panel option that says "riegonal languages" or something like that. click in there, then click around till you select japanese as an input language... then insert XP CD
Old 2004-04-26, 12:42   Link #9
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
for your PCs. if you are running XP, there is a control panel option that says "riegonal languages" or something like that. click in there, then click around till you select japanese as an input language... then insert XP CD
I already know that. I can input Japanese text. It works everywhere else. It just doesn't work in this forum. What I've narrowed it down to is that the text I input is showing up as Shift-JIS. There's also ISO 2022-JP and EUC. What would be good is if I can just input in Unicode. However, I can't figure out how to switch the inputted text encoding from Shift-JIS to Unicode. If you force your browser to view Shift-JIS, the text in my entry above shows up as Japanese text. What I've noticed is that Japanese text inputted by others show up as Japanese regardless of whether the browser's encoding setting is Automatic, Automatic Japanese, EUC, Unicode, or whatever. But the text I input only displays correctly when I force my browser to recognize Shift-JIS encoding. Obviously, I'm missing something here that's glaringly obvious, but since I'm missing it, I don't know what it is.
Old 2004-04-27, 13:44   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

if you did all of that the only problem i could see is an outdated IE browser...
Old 2004-04-29, 03:26   Link #11
Majin-EBK4

use romangi

殺生丸
Majin-EBK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 13:27   Link #12
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin-EBK4
use romangi

殺生丸
it looks so... ... stupid though...

anatawabakadesu looks better in japanese... cuz you actually need to learn some japanese to understand it.
Old 2004-04-30, 04:56   Link #13
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

I have an intense dislike of Internet Explorer. Illogical window management, poor bookmarking interface, insecure, lacking Opera features like tabbed browsing, remembered sessions, etc.

I've tried using Safari on the Mac at work, but that had its own issues. Whenever I tried to edit an entry, I would get an "Invalid thread" message. I just got the same message with Firefox on Windows here at home.

BTW, I do realize that this thread should probably be in the Tech Support section, but initially, because it seems to happen only on this forum, I put it in the Forum Feedback section instead.

Let's see if I can enter text with Firefox this time. I am not going to preview this post.

おぉ!出来てる。さぁ、日本語を入力してみましょう。
Old 2004-04-30, 05:04   Link #14
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM
Let's see if I can enter text with Firefox this time. I am not going to preview this post.

??!??????????????????????
Now let's go back to Opera and try it again.

??????????????????????????????
Old 2004-04-30, 05:14   Link #15
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Quote:
Now let's go back to Opera and try it again.

??????????????????????????????
Hm. Opera, or the way I have set up Opera seems to be the culprit. Now back to Firefox.

実は春日さんは大阪生まれではありません。実は数年前神戸から大阪まで転入したのです。神戸生まれでもあり ません。

でも私は神戸生まれなのだ~!
Old 2004-04-30, 05:19   Link #16
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

So It's Opera!

Reliable work-around has been found! (Took long enough...)

Off-topic rant from an Opera apologist now follows:
[ rant ]BTW, despite all this, I still think Opera 7 Windows is the greatest browser I have ever used. Super bookmark management, gestures, easy zooming, tabbed browsing (called pages in Opera), saved sessions, etc. Firefox is pretty good too. I don't know why the vast majority still use IE. [ /rant ]

So thanks again everyone, and a final note to forum administrators:
Is the problem Opera? Or the way I have Opera configured? Or does the forum need to be set up to make it work better with browsers other than IE? Is the forum using some sort of non-standard, Microsoft-specific methods for handling double-byte characters? Might be worth looking into.

And special thanks and apologies to Nosanninwa. Yes, you gave me the answer a while ago. I was too dense to realize it. I refused to believe that my beloved Opera could be a liability. Sorry.

Last edited by RobertM; 2004-04-30 at 05:40.
Old 2004-05-19, 08:58   Link #17
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Just checking to see if Opera 7.5 fixed things.
日本語の入力、可能?
YES!
Old 2004-05-19, 10:46   Link #18
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Just checking to see if Opera 7.5 fixed things.
日本語の入力、可能?
YES!
Edit button maybe?
Quote:
So thanks again everyone, and a final note to forum administrators:
Is the problem Opera? Or the way I have Opera configured? Or does the forum need to be set up to make it work better with browsers other than IE? Is the forum using some sort of non-standard, Microsoft-specific methods for handling double-byte characters? Might be worth looking into.
it is most likely as you have said... however i am using the Microsoft version of japanese text input, so i dont think this will be a problem for me.

oh. and i use IE because i am used to it... ... and am too lazy to make the switch.