AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-14, 07:01   Link #601
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

...Aw. And I was all ready to analyze that scene for Triple_R and show him just how much effect on Haruhi was implied.

That's what I get for, you know, sleeping.
Old 2009-08-14, 09:13   Link #602
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

when will disappearance air?

wild guess is

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-14, 11:00   Link #603
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Trying to translate this into real-life politics is inevitably going to fail and is only going to expose your own bias. One of the things I've always loved about Tanigawa's writing since I started reading Haruhi is that it is blissfully apolitical. Nothing more annoying to be reading some excellently paced, dramatically written, intricately plotted prose only for it all to come to a screeching halt so the author can try to make some (at best) tangentially-related point about something IRL.

I'm talking to you, Eoin Colfer...

Besides, if you absolutely must translate internal Data Overmind politics to real world politics, Yuki (main school) attempts to maintain the status quo and not get involved unless necessary, while Ryoko (extremist) is all about change for change's sake. You've got it backwards.
I wasn't going for the political statement. Sorry if it seemed that way. I was trying to point out that the extremists and the main school could and seem, to me at least, best as a whole different method of grouping. Rather than another 2 parties along with the four parties Yuki knows of, the extremist and the main school would be categorized by school of thought and have some in each party. If that seems to repeat what I said before, meh.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2009-08-14, 11:35   Link #604
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kogetsu Shirogane basically sums up my response to this - Haruhi is not tsundere. She's more complex than that, in my opinion.
Um... that was a joke. Never watched The Redub of Haruhi Suzumiya?

Quote:
she's like the Energizer Bunny turned into an anime school girl given high-end reality altering powers and longing to be a leadership figure that butts heads with rivals and enjoys the fervent support of her subordinates... who she actually calls subordinates. On top of that, she's a mystery detective super-sleuth that's heavily into sci-fi and the supernatural.
That... is an awesome description. And I'd totally give you a rep point if you didn't have it disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateApril3rd2009 View Post
when will disappearance air?

wild guess is

Spoiler:
Actually that's three days before it. Which is cheerfully ironic in its own right.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-14, 14:09   Link #605
dnab
anime berkeley

Kadokawa will not wait until the End of Time to milk Disappearance. From the way E8 stretched, and Sigh stretching, they're bent on spending all 14 new eps allotment on basically 3 stories, thereby making the Disappearance movie ever more probable. No proof other than the seemingly persuasive motives:

1. Disappearance is arguable the most anticipated, if not the best, of Tanigawa's currently available Haruhi stories. For a substantial investment like a movie one would want the sure thing instead of something "original".

2. Investment in movie would generate more direct, peripheral, and subsequent revenues than TV eps.

3. The fan abuse of E8 nonetheless generates buzz and publicity which may transfer into marketing momentum into Disappearance.

4. Yes even Hitler would pay to see this movie.

5. Conspiracists may hate, or love, to think that what we think are the return of Haruhi is in fact an on going marketing process. Otakus, knowingly and helplessly, lining up into the Kadokawa meat-grinder like Another Brick in the Wall.
Old 2009-08-14, 14:49   Link #606
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
Disappearance is arguable the most anticipated, if not the best, of Tanigawa's currently available Haruhi stories.
I'll give you "most anticipated," but there are certainly better stories in the series.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:07   Link #607
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'll give you "most anticipated," but there are certainly better stories in the series.
*cough*Intrigues*cough*

Well, not really, but I like it better than Disappearance... >_>
Old 2009-08-14, 15:16   Link #608
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
...Looks like we came to some understanding, somehow.
Heatth always manages to get me to look at things differently to his credit. You're pretty good there too, of course.

Quote:

Should just point out that Haruhi is basically this trope with megalomania, reality warping, and tsundereness attached.
If any trope is good for Haruhi, that one is. Thanks for that, Kaisos!

Quote:
Haruhi's uniqueness is her situation, not her character or personality.
... North High is an unique situation? I've seen dozens of anime schools as unique as that one, if not moreso.

If you mean Haruhi's powers, well, that's part of her character.

Haruhi's character and personality is unique. It really is. The trope you mentioned, combined with the other character aspects that you mentioned, and combined with the description I gave to Kogetsu... it all adds up to make a very unique character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
You like overanalysing things right?
I like to dig deep. I also like to look for similarities - both within and with out anime. This is why I continue to find Haruhi to be very unique. There's nobody even close to her in a "total package" kind of way. Yes, she has elements of, say, Tomo from Azumanga, and maybe a touch of Tsundere, but the total character of Haruhi is very unique.

Quote:

Anyway, I think is more or less this. Yay, we agree, is so good whe I discussiong ends like that right? (is somewaht rare too)

Btw, "Haruhi is Haruhi" can not be used in a discussion, even Kyon said so.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
...Aw. And I was all ready to analyze that scene for Triple_R and show him just how much effect on Haruhi was implied.

That's what I get for, you know, sleeping.
I'll try to be a bit more dense next time so you'll get a chance to analyze before I catch on.

Quote:
Um... that was a joke. Never watched The Redub of Haruhi Suzumiya?
No. I liked the official dub a lot, actually. Still, I might check out the redub if you think it's good. Is it up on YouTube?

Quote:
That... is an awesome description. And I'd totally give you a rep point if you didn't have it disabled.
I just turned it back on... *ahem*

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you liked my description of Haruhi.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:59   Link #609
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
... North High is an unique situation? I've seen dozens of anime schools as unique as that one, if not moreso.
Really? You've seen dozens of anime schools that are secretly run by a mysterious organization funded by an insanely rich family, are the source of interest of a non-corporeal alien entity with "a lot" of human-like interfaces interspersed within the student body, as well as playing home to people from the future and, possibly as of Volume 9, other dimensions... all because of one teenage girl?

Please let me know of the others, then. I'd like to see another take on this apparently common situation.

Quote:
No. I liked the official dub a lot, actually. Still, I might check out the redub if you think it's good. Is it up on YouTube?
The "Redub" is essentially an abridged version, and yes, it's on YT. Username is TetsuyaDL. Only 2 and 3 have been done so far, though.
Old 2009-08-14, 16:32   Link #610
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Really? You've seen dozens of anime schools that are secretly run by a mysterious organization funded by an insanely rich family, are the source of interest of a non-corporeal alien entity with "a lot" of human-like interfaces interspersed within the student body, as well as playing home to people from the future and, possibly as of Volume 9, other dimensions... all because of one teenage girl?

Please let me know of the others, then. I'd like to see another take on this apparently common situation.

Each of these animes feature arguably equally unique schools...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Girl_Utena

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My-HiME

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Ge...:_Angelic_Days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Geass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai...ut_High_School

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromartie_High_School

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Me...nic%3F_Fumoffu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouran_H...hool_Host_Club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakugan_no_Shana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_A-ko

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuffle!_%28TV_series%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranma_%C2%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Moon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azumanga_Daioh

There's probably more I'm forgetting about too.

To me, what makes a school unique isn't the background behind it (it being run by some shady organization), but rather how colorful and unique the actual student body and faculty are. North High's student body doesn't come across as anything all that out of the ordinary to me, the SOS Brigade itself notwithstanding. But, even by the "shady background" standard, a lot of the above schools has that going for it as well (especially the top 5 or 6 on my list there).

Unusual schools is a staple of Anime - much moreso than a character or personality like Haruhi's is.

I'm not saying that North High is with out its charm or intrigue - it has a fair bit of both - just that it's far from the first time that an anime school has stood out in an intriguing way.

Many, if not all, of the animes above have intriguing schools - none of them have a character quite like Haruhi, imo. In fairness, none of them have a character quite like Yuki, either.

Quote:

The "Redub" is essentially an abridged version, and yes, it's on YT. Username is TetsuyaDL. Only 2 and 3 have been done so far, though.

Thanks for the info.
Old 2009-08-14, 16:37   Link #611
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Um... aside from Shana and Yuji, there wasn't anything unusual at all about the school in Shakugan no Shana... that they weren't the cause of, I mean.
Old 2009-08-14, 16:41   Link #612
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Um... aside from Shana and Yuji, there wasn't anything unusual at all about the school in Shakugan no Shana... that they weren't the cause of, I mean.
Well, if Haruhi wasn't at North High...

I get your point that North High is cool. I'm just saying that it's not more unique than Haruhi herself is. Haruhi is what makes it unique, as much as anything there does.

Basically, you could take Haruhi (or Yuki for that matter) and put her in any other school-based anime, and she'd still stand out and be the center of a lot of attention.

Anyway, yeah, I almost never included Shana, for the reason you listed.

In complete seriousness, if schools with intriguing backgrounds is your thing, I'd highly recommend the top five or six animes on my list there. Some of these schools are really whacked out.
Old 2009-08-14, 16:49   Link #613
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Why did you single out Angelic Days for Eva? I'd say a school that serves as something of a storage facility for mecha pilots is unusual enough as it is.

Also... Code Geass... yeah, whenever the school was actually focused upon, it was normal. The unusual stuff was outside the school.
Old 2009-08-14, 16:54   Link #614
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Why did you single out Angelic Days for Eva? I'd say a school that serves as something of a storage facility for mecha pilots is unusual enough as it is.

Also... Code Geass... yeah, whenever the school was actually focused upon, it was normal. The unusual stuff was outside the school.
In Code Geass R2...

Spoiler for Code Geass R2:
Old 2009-08-14, 17:02   Link #615
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Fair enough. R2 added weirdness to the school. Most of which was caused by Lelouch's presence.

*e* Also... I liked Rolo... then that happened, and I wanted to strangle him... then something else happened later and I hated him for making it impossible for me to hate him anymore...
Old 2009-08-14, 17:05   Link #616
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Many, many things on the show is very cliché. She is unique because she use common things in a interesting way. A overpowerful girl, bettern them most in anything who enters in the hero's life is very common. A tsundere female lead too. However, only Haruhi is the antagonist and only her is [I]that[/] kind of tsundere.

The same way, we can see many characters who are more or less like Mikuru, Ryoko, Kyon or Yuki. However, they are different somehow.

Haruhi is cliché. But a very well done cliché.

Btw, Triple R, I was complimenting you when I say you overanalyse things. They are very good analyses.

PP:
Oh, yeah, Haruhi's school is only weird because of her. Any school where she could have gone would be just as weird. Well, maybe a little less, since it wouldn't be Kyon and, thuns, no SOSdan;
Old 2009-08-14, 17:10   Link #617
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
However, only Haruhi is the antagonist
Only up until Vol. 4. That's where things change forever.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:13   Link #618
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
... poor Nagato...
Old 2009-08-14, 17:18   Link #619
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Many, many things on the show is very cliché. She is unique because she use common things in a interesting way. A overpowerful girl, bettern them most in anything who enters in the hero's life is very common.
Not to Haruhi's degree, it's not.

Off the top of my head, I'm only aware of two other anime school girls that have reality altering powers that are similar to Haruhi's:

Lain (of Serial Experiment Lain), and Haruka Kaminogi (of Noein). Well, Yuki as well, arguably.

Haruhi's personality is almost the complete opposite of Lain's. Haruka's is like a happy medium between the two.

I am not aware of any other anime school girls as "overpowerful" as Haruhi is.

She's not a cliche. She is unique.

That is what I like about her, so it's not likely I'm going to bend on that point.

Quote:

Btw, Triple R, I was complimenting you when I say you overanalyse things. They are very good analyses.
Thank you... although if I can't convince somebody that Haruhi, of all characters, isn't a cliche, I don't know if my analysis is all that good.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:44   Link #620
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Not to Haruhi's degree, it's not.

Off the top of my head, I'm only aware of two other anime school girls that have reality altering powers that are similar to Haruhi's:

Lain (of Serial Experiment Lain), and Haruka Kaminogi (of Noein). Well, Yuki as well, arguably.

Haruhi's personality is almost the complete opposite of Lain's. Haruka's is like a happy medium between the two.

I am not aware of any other anime school girls as "overpowerful" as Haruhi is.

She's not a cliche. She is unique.

That is what I like about her, so it's not likely I'm going to bend on that point.

Thank you... although if I can't convince somebody that Haruhi, of all characters, isn't a cliche, I don't know if my analysis is all that good.
I was trying to say she uses clichés to be unique

I agree she is not cliché. But she has a lot of clichés alements (tsundere, god mode sue...), and use then to be unique.

About your analyse, I don't think it is really important be correct. The thinking process by itself is good enough. You said many things I never thought about the show, giving me a new vision about it. At same time, I said things you never thought(the pony tail scene, at last), giving you a new perspective abut Haruhi character (hopefully).

Quote:
She is still the antagonist on E8(book5), and maybe some chapters of book6 I am nor remembering. But, yeah, chronologically, never after Disappearance.
Closed Thread