AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-21, 07:35   Link #401
archaznable

Does School Days count in your list of anime that you hate but everyone seems to like it as time goes by because of its strong story hehehe ....
Old 2008-02-21, 12:17   Link #402
Laconitolatina
Loveless 4 u member

i absolutely dislike inuyasha but actually i did like it at first but then i didnt like alot of the characters i perfered kikyo over kagome so i guess thats the huge reason i stopped watching it lol. But i dont like gundam wing...i didnt like ghost in the shell as well i couldnt get into love hina ehh it was just annoying.
Old 2008-02-21, 15:16   Link #403
roninhobbit
Roboguzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaznable View Post
Does School Days count in your list of anime that you hate but everyone seems to like it as time goes by because of its strong story hehehe ....
I think School Days just got such a huge popularity bump because of the 'nice boat' thing.
Old 2008-02-21, 17:06   Link #404
Echoes

School Days has no real place in this thread, it's widely hated.
Old 2008-02-21, 18:03   Link #405
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
It's a bit nice to have left Kimi ga Nozomu Eien territory with relatively little flaming, as well.
It's nice for you to realize that it's best to stay out of KgNE discussions on this thread. You might have realized I deliberately tried changed the topic to Akane and hair styles. I've seen way too much flaming.

And now for the anime I don't want to talk about, Akira. People have said this was a classic...of some sort. I've seen anime older than this (and put it on my top ten list), so please don't say I have no taste in old anime. Akira was just torture. I'm even going to go as far as to say people primarily liked this for its animation when it first came out and didn't realize that the plot was just everywhere. Don't worry, I've been guilty of that too. But seriously, there was no character development and apparently I was supposed to enjoy the "shock value" of the movie.

Also, I did get the movie. Yes I realized the science, psychic powers, social problems, political problems, God, and all the other symbolism that was present. In fact, I would say I got more of it than anyone because the plot was so confusing that I had to analyze it more carefully to keep up with the story, but this completely took away any enjoyment that I could have had for it.

Flame away.
Old 2008-02-21, 20:22   Link #406
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I didn't watch more than 15-20 minutes or so of Akira. I just didn't see what the fuss was all about. I don't usually "hate" things though; in this case, I just didn't like it.

As for School Days, I hate that it comes up so often in discussions here on AS. If it's so universally hated, then let's stop talking about it already.

There, I did my grumpy-old-man thing; you can flame me, too.
Old 2008-02-21, 20:57   Link #407
starry_sky45
Cherry Blossom~

Send a message via AIM to starry_sky45 Send a message via MSN to starry_sky45
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Are you saying that you like One Piece's 340+ episodes, but dislike that Bleach has 160-ish at the moment?
Unless, of course, you were referring to Black Lagoon or some other pirate anime, then it's fine.
Though I put it down quite often (not as much as Naruto, but moreso than One Piece), Bleach's first 63 or so episodes are mildly good, due to their originality (because there was no previous content to reuse) and long-ass fight scenes. However, afterwards, the fillers are utter crap, and the following arcs do little to improve the series again. (63/160 is roughly 40%, so I would say that Bleach is 40% decent. That's not very good, though.)
I wasn't talking about any pirate anime, just pirates in general. I would have to agree with you, I did like the first episodes when they were fighting the hollows. But then it turned into fighting enemies, which takes a various amount of episodes to defeat.
Old 2008-02-21, 21:01   Link #408
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I agree, except that I think the 40% is excellent instead of decent. I don't remember the specific details, but it was one of the few series I could successfully marathon and that says a lot. At least, its levels of enjoyment are "excellent."
Old 2008-02-21, 21:09   Link #409
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninhobbit View Post
I think School Days just got such a huge popularity bump because of the 'nice boat' thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I didn't watch more than 15-20 minutes or so of Akira. I just didn't see what the fuss was all about. I don't usually "hate" things though; in this case, I just didn't like it.

As for School Days, I hate that it comes up so often in discussions here on AS. If it's so universally hated, then let's stop talking about it already.

There, I did my grumpy-old-man thing; you can flame me, too.
I actually genuinely sort of liked School Days. Even before learning of such a Nice Boat, I had watched and liked an episode or two, but decided to put it off until later. However, I admit that the Nice Boat incident made me return and watch the whole series.
Though it wasn't particularly amazing, I wouldn't rank it among the worst anime sereis I've seen. It would probably get a 7/10 or so, probably higher were Makoto not the person he is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_sky45 View Post
I wasn't talking about any pirate anime, just pirates in general. I would have to agree with you, I did like the first episodes when they were fighting the hollows. But then it turned into fighting enemies, which takes a various amount of episodes to defeat.
Honestly, I think that it took longer to watch a fight than it took for the fight to actually finish. I doubt nany one-on-one fights really takes over four episodes to conclude in real life.
Of course, this was the main point of Bleach. Naruto couldn't compar to its semi-unique actionful fights, though if you removed all of the fighting from Bleach's first 63, you'd have an hour of filler, two hours of generally unfunny comedy, and a steaming pile of crap.
If you removed all of the fights from 64+, you'd have several hours of filler, two piles of crap, and enough pointless scenes to have you questioning the meaning of life.
Old 2008-02-23, 10:16   Link #410
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
It's nice for you to realize that it's best to stay out of KgNE discussions on this thread. You might have realized I deliberately tried changed the topic to Akane and hair styles. I've seen way too much flaming.

And now for the anime I don't want to talk about, Akira. People have said this was a classic...of some sort. I've seen anime older than this (and put it on my top ten list), so please don't say I have no taste in old anime. Akira was just torture. I'm even going to go as far as to say people primarily liked this for its animation when it first came out and didn't realize that the plot was just everywhere. Don't worry, I've been guilty of that too. But seriously, there was no character development and apparently I was supposed to enjoy the "shock value" of the movie.

Also, I did get the movie. Yes I realized the science, psychic powers, social problems, political problems, God, and all the other symbolism that was present. In fact, I would say I got more of it than anyone because the plot was so confusing that I had to analyze it more carefully to keep up with the story, but this completely took away any enjoyment that I could have had for it.

Flame away.
You're not alone, my brother!! XD I hated Akira too. Found it too disturbing....
Old 2008-02-23, 15:03   Link #411
Kyrie

Send a message via AIM to Kyrie Send a message via MSN to Kyrie
I don't hate it, but alot of people seem to love The Melancholy of Haurhi o_O

I never really understood why it was so popular
Old 2008-02-24, 12:32   Link #412
Amray

I have kind of gone off Naruto now for one simple reason.
I have the UK released versions of Naruto and decided to watch them on my Television (Naturally) then my Sister and elder brother decided to join me after a couple of episodes.
I didn't think nothing of it, who would? But after that night my Sister just said "wow, That Naruto Anime yesterday had to be my most favourite one."
Bare in mind she is no Anime fan anyway.
I was like "What so you've been watching Pok'e'mon for about 7 years non-stop then you just watch about 4 Naruto episodes and its your favourite?"

And no this ridiculous obsession has just gotten stupid! She watches it like ALL DAY on youtube which kind of puts a bug up my ass seems as I paid a lot of money for my collection. So in a sense she steals one of my 'Old' favourite Animes and makes it her own interest, then skanks episodes off the internet! She even goes around writing on her Myspace profile and such saying "I have a HUGE obsession with Nruto!" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
And then theirs my brother now, that goes around ALSO watching it on the internet and buying all the games and stuff. SO annoying!! I wish people in this house would stop copying my interests and stick to their own crap!!!

But I must admit I enjoy rubbing much more better Animes in their faces such as saying "No I don't really feel like watching Naruto..I have 1000 times better Animes to be watching." Then go and put Full Metal Alchemist on or Blood+ and what not Haha. Or whats more fun is putting it on just as they are about to go to sleep or something and just blaring it out on our Plasma screen with surround. XD
That beats watching it on stupid youtube, right?! haha.

It is a tad annoying though.
Oh and sorry for dragging this story on for a bit, wasn't intentional. ^-^'
Old 2008-02-24, 12:36   Link #413
JustInn14
moo

hmm. Naruto must have brainwashing powers! j/k.

My sister did a similar thing once. Liked Pokemon, then thought Naruto was much better. :-/
Old 2008-02-24, 13:55   Link #414
oompa loompa

im no great fan of naruto.. but i have to say naruto probably does wipe the floor with pokemon.. just as many animes wipe the floor with naruto ..quite the vicious hiearchy
Old 2008-02-24, 21:25   Link #415
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie View Post
I don't hate it, but alot of people seem to love The Melancholy of Haurhi o_O

I never really understood why it was so popular
I second that. Some girl brought the dvd to our anime club and everyone else loved it, but I was like........ That was pretty dumb O_O.

P.S. Love ur Aeris icon ^__^.
Old 2008-02-25, 05:07   Link #416
Lucifer-Angel
Oxymoron

Totally seconded on the one with Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

After watching it, i thought it was pretty.....ermm...unresolved; and yet i still couldnt understand the popularity...

Another one was School Rumble. Everybody else said kept going on how LOL the moments were; but i was only "..." on those.
Old 2008-02-25, 05:30   Link #417
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

There seems to be more people saying they don't understand why people like Haruhi Suzumiya than there are people who actually say they like the show these days.

I'm rather tempted to say something like "cut it out already!" then I realized that every person who says that is a different person, and he or she is saying it for the first time for him/herself, so I kind of calmed down.

Still, overrated? Give me a break, you people put on so much dampened dirty cloth on the thing it's not so much overrated anymore as much as underrated. I could understand that sentiment at the height of the Haruhi craze (though, quite frankly, that brought me into the fansubbing world, so yeah), but now? Riiiight.

As for the topic, I found Naruto frustrating. It's not that I hate ninjas, heck, I'll admit I was somewhat of a Sasuke fanboy (despite the emo issue, his character *is* built so a first-time viewer will think he's cool), but goddamn the pacing was so fucking horrible I couldn't stand watching the stuff at all.

It took over 9000 episodes to get a fight done. Fuck you, I'm out, "that's what I'll say (hey hey hey)."

Yes yes hating Naruto is just as popular as liking Naruto, but my gripe is probably a legitimate one. I sort of liked the show and would've *loved* to follow the plot but I don't have the patience to watch all that empty staring contests and all the repeated flashbacks they like to do.

Also, despite defending Haruhi Suzumiya, I really don't like those Key/KyoAni anime adaptations. They seem to put so much emphasis on the moe and the sentimentality without much to back them up, and I hate the girls' character designs. I don't think I can justify it much, but I'll try anyway just so I can be flamed for my faulty logic:

When I see Haruhi, I notice that her eyebrows are always pointed down inwards, and it gives her face a constant attitude of, well, attitude, even when she's all smiling and happy. Now, when I see Mikuru, it's the opposite, her eyebrows are always pointed down outwards, in a face of constant moe-ness. In the show, there is a contrast between the two characters, so there really isn't anything wrong with that.

In just about every bloody one of those other shows, they're all what I call (without paying regard to the fact that the games are made before the Haruhi anime series -- i.e. no justification) Mikuru-clones. They all have these constantly "moe" faces, these same basic puffy designs, those small submissive voices (unless she's specifically marked as a tsundere) and therefore in general they often lack that level of contrast that liven up a show's female cast. It makes me feel guilty and annoyed watching them, like I'm some kind of misogynistic male otaku who must really like doll girls who are defenseless and submissive (again, no justification from reality). And quite frankly they look more plump than their counterparts in other series too.

Last edited by Irenicus; 2008-02-25 at 05:41.
Old 2008-02-25, 11:44   Link #418
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Regarding The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu):

I have two assumptions about this subject.

1) When it aired, people who are interested in the anime probably were the first to follow this series. In short, it's people who will probably like this series, old anime fans who would best understand this series, and people who have read the novel and know the general gist of its confusing anachronic order. In short, it's people who like/love the comedy/parody genre who first watched Suzumiya, and they were the one who started the craze.

2) People who have recently finished the anime watched it for its popularity. This means that that didn't watch it because they wanted to when it aired, but because it's popular and they wanted to see what's so good about it. Of course it's arrogant of me to claim that they didn't understand the anime, but I think that it is fair for me to say that they might not like the genre/presentation of the series as much. Another group who have recently finished the anime are new anime watchers. Of course it's arrogant of me to claim that they didn't understand the anime either, but from my experience Suzumiya is not the type of anime one would watch and enjoy with little or no previous anime experience.

Comments? Concerns? Flaming? Agree/Disagree?
Old 2008-02-25, 12:09   Link #419
CoyoteNL

Karas comes to mind, though I don't really HATE it. I was just vastly disappointed. It started great and all but after the first few episodes it just fell flat. During the last three episodes it turned into an average brawler.

Also I was pretty disappointed at Dennou Coil's ending. Mainly because of...

Spoiler for Dennou Coil ending:
Old 2008-02-25, 12:20   Link #420
Kyrie

Send a message via AIM to Kyrie Send a message via MSN to Kyrie
@ KholdStare: I can understand that . I actually first saw it at a convention by mistake (Something else was suppossed to be showing) and I think it was pretty new then, It was in 06.

So after watching a couple of episodes, I thought I would check the rest of it out to see what the actual plot was, cause I didn't really get it as you said XD and I guess it's just one of those series I couldn't get into >_<

I will still like shows even if they are super overrated(hell I still watch BLEACH) and underrated, as long as I like them I don't mind ^^
Closed Thread