AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-06-01, 07:37   Link #21
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Live-Evil's old release of Utena was probably the only time EVER that I could say that a fansub (even based on a R2DVD source) looked better than the actual R1DVD. Because no matter how you slice it, 7 episodes per DVD is just too much.

To CPM's credit, their release of episode 14-39 (and the movie) were notably better and extremely appreciated. 8)

PS: BTW, according to ANN, CMP is still soliciting anime for August release. VOTOMS and Wrath of Ninja to be precise. It's probably a case of them having already finished work on these series, so I wouldn't be too optimistic. I doubt they'll be able to release anything else with a laid-off staff.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 08:13   Link #22
Access

In the case of bankrupcy, aren't licensing deals generally nontransferable, ie. they cannot be sold / transfered to a debtor and instead revert back to nothing?

Also if the release is due in August, it could already be finished or mostly finished, essentially just waiting for it's scheduled release date.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 10:11   Link #23
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Live-Evil's old release of Utena was probably the only time EVER that I could say that a fansub (even based on a R2DVD source) looked better than the actual R1DVD. Because no matter how you slice it, 7 episodes per DVD is just too much.
The poor quality of the first two DVD collections amount to the fact that, at the time of their DVD release, it was very much a back catalogue title. The DVDs are little more than ports of the old work done for the original VHS release (thus the hardsubbed songs), to expand into what was then a new market. Thus, the high episode count collections with budget pricing.

I typically disqualify such releases as indicative of the company as a whole, since just about every company has done it to give some attention to their older properties. It just isn't a fair representation of a company's current work.

The rest of Utena, acquired much later, was treated as a brand new property.
Old 2006-06-01, 21:06   Link #24
guess

When I think about R1 Utena, I was talking about mostly the translation. The quality is OK, that is, the images, audio, etc. It is the translation I found unstatisfied. They skip lines or change the meaning. Things like "I want to become a prince myself" becomes "I want to see him." This may be subtle but it is a signicficant part of the show because that is the entire concept right there. Utena does not just want to see her prince. She wants to become one herself. There are a lot more difference like this in the show. I care more about the originality in term of the show, instead of the "external" things, like good audio, good video quality,etc. That is just me.
Old 2006-06-02, 00:24   Link #25
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Translation is not an exact science, and without more concrete backing (like a time reference for the exact line in question), it is really hard to believe such a major error would exist, especially in the later arcs. Are you certain you're not misinterpreting the line yourself?