AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-18, 21:58   Link #101
aulzon

I was rooting pretty hard for the girls to win but realisticly they didn't had a chance. Can't really expect them to win with so little experience.

This seems like their everest and they'll probably these guys again at the end of series.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 00:06   Link #102
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
What's with the old fashion cars?
The series does take place in olden times.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 03:46   Link #103
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Tama-chan's easily my favorite...Love how everyone just got hit by Akiko's pitching, but she not only dodges it but rushes out at her.

Interesting to see some male characters showing up now though...Not exactly bad guys per-se just...Products of the era they live in I guess?
It was not Akiko, it was Tomoe in that screen

It was sad seeing them loosing(well it's better so for later revenge so i'm cool with it....). Anyway hope this anime won't turn into romance. The guy who after Koume can be understandable (still, Koume.... just reject him...), but the other guy who after Akiko should be kicked in the ass for his thoughtless attitude
Old 2009-07-19, 08:46   Link #104
typhonsentra

I'm glad they didn't dumb it down and had them lose badly the first time, after all they just started. I'm also glad they didn't portray the boys as monstrous a-holes either, just simply oblivious to their actions and how they were actually being condescending.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 10:59   Link #105
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just saw episode 3.

Honestly, the men's team weren't exactly being condescending or mean spirited; it's more like they're starting to show how men in Japan began changing in those times as they start treating women nicely and dumbing down their play to somehow match theirs to the point of being... well somewhat condescending, but they weren't intending to be condescending. They were merely acting out how men of that age with a mix of Asian and European influences would act. It didn't last long anyway as they ended up crushing them 11-0.

You first have the tension between the men's team embracing Westernism to the women struggling to to become Westernized themselves. Remember that most Eastern cultures of the time were very patriarchal, so it comes off that the men tend to have more freedom to embrace new ideas while the women are usually kept in the old world views.

In contrast to this was Akiko's fiancee who's actions scream old school patriarchy that reflects both Oriental and Western attitudes, while Akiko is gladly accepting change. The man should take the lead while the women stay in the kitchen etc. He doesn't understand Akiko's desire to play baseball, and this is where their conflict begins: Akiko is coming out a more progressive woman of that age while he sticks to his old world views.

Behind the baseball is a deep rooted struggle for change and acceptance from a woman's POV trying to succeed an a Western male dominated sport. It's not all cute girls doing cute things, it's all rooted in the fast changing pace of the times. Baseball is just one of the ways for them to struggle through a Japan entering the wolrd at the turn of the 20th century.

You have to admit though, that guy's old school (and I really mean old school, like in my Grandfather's days ) proposal to Koume was hilarious overuse of cliche.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 11:26   Link #106
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep3 was brilliant. Suddenly, I seem to have a change of heart about this series

Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 11:29   Link #107
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ep3 was brilliant. Suddenly, I seem to have a change of heart about this series

Spoiler:
It's actually for the reasons we both stated that this series got bumped up from my "To Watch" list to my "Why I even bother to do anything on weekends" list beside Aoi Hana, Umineko and Spice and Wolf.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 21:59   Link #108
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

"Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DNBBrkIPN8
Okay, finally got that one out of the way for myself.

Episode 3: Shit gets real. Girls got game, but they need more hustle.

I kind of underestimated this series. Sure, it's cute, but from what was posted numerous times by a number of posters is it provides an insight to the cultural shift at the time.
Spoiler:

Looking forward to the next ep. There's no crying in baseball, Kyouko.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 00:09   Link #109
4Tran

Given that the girls have had only a week or two to practise and that most of them had never so much as watched an actual baseball game, it was inevitable that they would get creamed. Still, it's nice of Taishou Yakyuu Musume to play fair and show just how lopsided the game was. In particular, Akiko will have to get a lot better if they are to avoid getting blown out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
I kind of underestimated this series. Sure, it's cute, but from what was posted numerous times by a number of posters is it provides an insight to the cultural shift at the time.
Yup. There's two main draws for this show beyond what most other comedy shows offer: a very solid foundation of the historical setting, and genuine earnest humor. The former can be seen in snippets just about everywhere: from the OP to the clothing choices to the attitudes of all the supporting characters to the way 1925 Japan is brought to life. About the only beef I have is that Anna-sensei should really dress more like a woman in the Roaring '20s. While she probably isn't on the forefront of haute couture, she shouldn't really dress like a modern Japanese teacher either (admittedly there is a pretty good reason for giving her that outfit).

As for the latter, I really appreciate the way the gags work in this show. A lot of the comedy is visceral and physical - this style translates very well across cultures, and it's readily accessible. I find this to be a refreshing departure from the more in-joke based comedy that seems to form the bulk of comedy anime.

Other amusing bits of interest:
  • Koume's little double catch was nicely choreographed and fun to watch.
  • The contrast between Koume and Akiko carrying those buckets - obviously Akiko needs to do some strength and stamina training .
  • Watching people getting beaned by the pitcher (whether it's Tomoe pitching or Koume catching) doesn't get old.
Old 2009-07-20, 02:07   Link #110
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
  • Koume's little double catch was nicely choreographed and fun to watch.
  • The contrast between Koume and Akiko carrying those buckets - obviously Akiko needs to do some strength and stamina training .
  • Watching people getting beaned by the pitcher (whether it's Tomoe pitching or Koume catching) doesn't get old.
The best way to describe the first was "gravity defying". She could easily be an awesome soccer player. Heck, considering your second point, she could excel at sports in general.
Tama-chan's reaction was the best when Tomoe was pitching.
Old 2009-07-20, 03:15   Link #111
cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I'm glad they didn't dumb it down and had them lose badly the first time, after all they just started. I'm also glad they didn't portray the boys as monstrous a-holes either, just simply oblivious to their actions and how they were actually being condescending.
I was at least hoping they would make the 2nd inning. It's obviously impossible for them to win on such short notice, but at least save them a little face. I guess it was too unlikely after all.
As for the two guys, it's obvious they're designed for us to hate them, but I like how they're not just pure jerks. Rather, like you said, they're just so trapped in their old-fashioned mindset that they can't even see what they're doing wrong. One is stuck thinking "women should be in the kitchen blah blah etc." and the other thinks he can just waltz in and sweep Koume off her feet. They actually seem like nice guys otherwise. It fits the probable themes of the show, and they might be being set up for redemption later on, who knows. (This doesn't mean I didn't have on multiple occasions a strong urge to punch Akiko's fiance. I feel for her, having to marry someone like that.)
I expect something will happen in the future with Koume's father. He's pretty traditionalist and doesn't seem like he would approve of her playing baseball. If someone were to dump on him the knowledge that that's what she's doing so early in the morning and afterschool, and word also got to him about some guy stalking her, who knows what would happen. He might go ballistic. He's already getting suspicious...
cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 06:58   Link #112
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

There are so many scenes i like in Ep 3: the bucket screen, the practices, Tomoe's pinching....etc...... I really loves this anime now ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
The best way to describe the first was "gravity defying". She could easily be an awesome soccer player. Heck, considering your second point, she could excel at sports in general.
Tama-chan's reaction was the best when Tomoe was pitching.
I agree about that scene of Tama. That short scene + the part when she cover her face with the gloves and run away in Ep 2 are what make me like her..... She was portrayed so well. Still favour Akiko and Koume more, but Tamaki is close ^^

I don't know but i hate to see guys in this anime. One of the reason is because all of the girls alone are so cute, especially their interaction. Another is because all guys are opponents so my brain immediately switch hostile toward them (except Koume's father). Thirdly is because unlike modern days, traditional culture often force girls to have early arranged marriage... It's heart-breaking thinking Koume or Akiko will have marriage with sub-characters on screen =(

PS:
@ fict_ticious : nice boat.... plane.... signature ^^
Old 2009-07-20, 07:04   Link #113
uis

Oh well i really want girl team to win...

Seriously i rooting for Akiko x Koume... *wth some random guys trying to butt in XD*

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 11:38   Link #114
ThoHell

I wonder if they're going to switch and introduce softball for the first time? This should be interesting to see...
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 16:21   Link #115
Falkor

episode 3:

- what're you going to do with the handkerchief... ecchi. :P

found the episode to be surprisingly funny. loving all the girls so far and the humor is such a delightful little thing that makes you laugh when you less expect it. Koume is my favorite character; her little musical number still remains vivid in my mind and her strange antics has done more than enough to make me very fond of her. wonder what direction this show is going to take, though I'm not losing my hope yet. :P (oh geez, I want to see another musical number, hopefully with the whole cast)
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 17:22   Link #116
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

so far the real surprise hit of the season and also possibly my fav of the year.

just such a delight to watch, it all comes together very well unlike some of the bigger animes.

loved Tomoe's pitching
Old 2009-07-20, 22:18   Link #117
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
It was not Akiko, it was Tomoe in that screen

It was sad seeing them loosing(well it's better so for later revenge so i'm cool with it....). Anyway hope this anime won't turn into romance. The guy who after Koume can be understandable (still, Koume.... just reject him...), but the other guy who after Akiko should be kicked in the ass for his thoughtless attitude
AH you'll have to forgive me for that slip-up...So many shows right now and I have a terrible time remembering names of characters I have little interest in...Akiko, Koume, and Tama-chan is about as far as I get in this series...The rest of them are like a blur...

Hopefully more of them will get the spotlight and leave a bigger impression on me.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 23:11   Link #118
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
I wonder if they're going to switch and introduce softball for the first time? This should be interesting to see...
Quote:
The game finally took on the name “softball” in 1926 after a Denver YMCA official brought the name up as a suggestion.
Source: http://www.softballperformance.com/softball-history/
Wouldn't have been called Softball yet. I kinda like where they are going with the baseball angle, anyways. I hope we get a training camp ep - they can consolidate the obligatory sleepover/vacation/beach/etc. events.
Old 2009-07-21, 07:58   Link #119
chinaboat

I wonder if during that time period schools hired western teachers to indicate how progressive they were.

It would also be interesting if sometime during the series mention was made of the Philadelphia Bobbies, a women's professional baseball team, who came to Japan in 1925 to play male teams
chinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 16:30   Link #120
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I agree about that scene of Tama. That short scene + the part when she cover her face with the gloves and run away in Ep 2 are what make me like her..... She was portrayed so well. Still favour Akiko and Koume more, but Tamaki is close ^^

I don't know but i hate to see guys in this anime. One of the reason is because all of the girls alone are so cute, especially their interaction. Another is because all guys are opponents so my brain immediately switch hostile toward them (except Koume's father). Thirdly is because unlike modern days, traditional culture often force girls to have early arranged marriage... It's heart-breaking thinking Koume or Akiko will have marriage with sub-characters on screen =(
"OI KISAMA!!! you threw that on purpose didn't you!" *chases*

Yea...it could be said that Tama is a rare breed back in those days XD

As for your males comment...whilst I don't "hate" seeing them, it definitely does not feel "right" to see them here and especially since it is a "female centred" series. But it doesn't seem like the guys are made to stand out anyway looking at their plain and forgettable facial features. Even if there are guys, they all look the same and are all background material

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, japan, seinen