AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-01-25, 14:21   Link #261
Starkle
hmm, sleep..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Spoiler for v5, eps 15 & 16:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
OK here's my take but I agree with alot of what you posted

I agree with LKK saying that not just anyone can preform exocisims but I also think the reason Naru hasnt learned is cuz it doesnt concern him (if he wanted to learn). I went back and looked at vol 1 again to see if he makes any comments about but he doesnt. He obviously gives Ayako and Bou-san a hard time but he doesnt (and still doesnt) do that to John. I believe in Catholism you do need special consideration to be a priest and an exorcist, I dont think just anyone can do that.
I never noticed that but now that you mention it, I wonder why. Naru never makes fun of John, anywhere. It might be because John doesn't set himself up for it like Monk-san and Ayako do. Go John!!
Starkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 15:41   Link #262
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkle View Post
When did Monk-san teach her? was it after or before she had the dream that the fire was going to be in a different spot?
I had to look it up because I couldn't remember either. It all happens in the same sequence. Mai asks to be taught before Monk-san learns about her dream.

To refresh everyone's memory, here is the sequence of events. (Volume 4, chapter 3) Mai & Yasuhara discuss the anticipated fire. Mai tells Yasuhara it might not be in the locker room. Monk-san and John arrive. Yasuhara teases Monk-san romantically. Mai asks Monk-san for exorcism training; he teaches her the chant. Everyone discusses Masako's ESP versus psychic medium powers. The conversation brings up Eugene Davis. Monk-san asks Mai if she feels anything psychic-wise. Yasuhara tells the men that Mai doesn't think the fire will be in the locker room. Mai details her dream to them.

Quote:
I never noticed that but now that you mention it, I wonder why. Naru never makes fun of John, anywhere. It might be because John doesn't set himself up for it like Monk-san and Ayako do. Go John!!
Naru was a little snarky to John when they first met. But unlike the others, Naru accepted him fairly quickly.

The two things that seem to have made Naru accept John is (1) his official position as an exorcist with the Roman Catholic church and (2) John's offer to stay and help out during the first case after Ayako and Monk-san walk out of the base that very first day.

After they leave, John says "Aren't we all to work together?" He says he'd like to help and asks Naru if he can stay. Naru gives his permission but it sounds curt to me -- still a little snarky but not like before when Naru said John looked too young to be a priest. Immediately afterwards, John explains Naru's thermographic imaging setup to Mai. I'd say in short order, John unintentionally impressed Naru with his credentials, his knowledge, and his willingness to helpful. I think that's why Naru asked John to help out later on with boarding up the lab for the poltergeist test.

There's also the fact that, as you mentioned, John just doesn't set himself up to be insulted the way that Monk-san and Ayako do. Insulting John would be kinda like kicking a puppy.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 16:15   Link #263
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Naru was a little snarky to John when they first met. But unlike the others, Naru accepted him fairly quickly.

The two things that seem to have made Naru accept John is (1) his official position as an exorcist with the Roman Catholic church and (2) John's offer to stay and help out during the first case after Ayako and Monk-san walk out of the base that very first day.

After they leave, John says "Aren't we all to work together?" He says he'd like to help and asks Naru if he can stay. Naru gives his permission but it sounds curt to me -- still a little snarky but not like before when Naru said John looked too young to be a priest. Immediately afterwards, John explains Naru's thermographic imaging setup to Mai. I'd say in short order, John unintentionally impressed Naru with his credentials, his knowledge, and his willingness to helpful. I think that's why Naru asked John to help out later on with boarding up the lab for the poltergeist test.

There's also the fact that, as you mentioned, John just doesn't set himself up to be insulted the way that Monk-san and Ayako do. Insulting John would be kinda like kicking a puppy.
Thats exactly what popped into my mind when I was first writing about Naru being nicer to John then the others. He is a bit "snarky" (I like that word XD) to him at first but John was much nicer to Naru in vol1/epi 1, he stayed to help and didnt bash Naru like Ayako and Bou-san did. Also I think the thermal imaging camera remark did impress Naru. And John doesnt set himself up, he's some what quiet (unlike Ayako and Bou-san) and doesnt boast about his own abilities. So far I think only he and Yasu havent felt the wrath of Naru, even Masako has alittle but not as much since Im sure Naru needs her to keep her mouth shut for whatever reason she has on him XD
LKK I remember a while ago we talked about how quick Naru was to accept Yasu as part of the team and I think it goes back to how people initially treat Naru. Yasu was also willing to help right off the bat like John was and had faith in the team unlike the Sensei, I think thats way Naru was nice to Yasu and has been nice to him.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 17:04   Link #264
Starkle
hmm, sleep..............

Quote:
I had to look it up because I couldn't remember either. It all happens in the same sequence. Mai asks to be taught before Monk-san learns about her dream.

To refresh everyone's memory, here is the sequence of events. (Volume 4, chapter 3) Mai & Yasuhara discuss the anticipated fire. Mai tells Yasuhara it might not be in the locker room. Monk-san and John arrive. Yasuhara teases Monk-san romantically. Mai asks Monk-san for exorcism training; he teaches her the chant. Everyone discusses Masako's ESP versus psychic medium powers. The conversation brings up Eugene Davis. Monk-san asks Mai if she feels anything psychic-wise. Yasuhara tells the men that Mai doesn't think the fire will be in the locker room. Mai details her dream to them.
Thanks, I was thinking it was in another place, that's what I get for trying to go off of my memory.

Quote:
LKK I remember a while ago we talked about how quick Naru was to accept Yasu as part of the team and I think it goes back to how people initially treat Naru. Yasu was also willing to help right off the bat like John was and had faith in the team unlike the Sensei, I think thats way Naru was nice to Yasu and has been nice to him.
I wondered alittle about how Yasu got into the circle so quickly, I put it down to the point that when Yasu and Naru were talking about Yasu staying the night with them and helping him. When Yasu told Naru that if he didn't think he could help he would go. And Naru said he could stay. (I put it down as being a person who would not get in the way and could stand back if he was asked to and not argue)

Last edited by Starkle; 2007-01-26 at 10:22.
Old 2007-01-25, 22:05   Link #265
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

Quote:
Following your thought process along brings back Starkle's point...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Quote:
I couldn't remember if Ayako's chant was Shinto or Buddist in origin.
Just for fun, a quick googling session brought this up :

Kuji-in (九字印) is a specialized form of shinto meditation. Practiced by some in Shinto, certain Zen temples and by the Ninja. Kuji-in is also known by some schools as the nine finger cuts. These meditation techniques require a certain breathing pattern, and chanting or thought process to work.

Where I'm up to (vol 8), the GH team are still doubting Ayako's "self-proclaimed" (source: Mai) miko status. As Naru has said, she has yet to prove her credibility, so why hasn't he ousted her from the team?
Runesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 08:10   Link #266
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runesque View Post
Spoiler:
Hmmmm
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runesque
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-01-26, 10:28   Link #267
Starkle
hmm, sleep..............

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for you might have something there.....:

Quote:
Now, Naru, I can't put under any defined category
And I agree with you Naru just remains the mystery of our lives
Old 2007-01-26, 11:04   Link #268
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Spoiler:
im not rading the manga, im planning to but have to save up in order to buy it, could someone put up a etailed summary of volume 7 (not released yet in my country) and when vol. 8 is out of volume 8 as well XD huwhaaa *smirk*

edit: '2 questions, when's vol. 8 gonna be in stores, so i know how long ill have to wait and at what volume is the anime at atm, in japan not fansubbed (i watch the series but dont read the manga yet XD )
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 12:24   Link #269
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
edit: '2 questions, when's vol. 8 gonna be in stores, so i know how long ill have to wait and at what volume is the anime at atm, in japan not fansubbed (i watch the series but dont read the manga yet XD )
In the US, volume 7 will be released at the end of March. Volume 8 is scheduled for a June release. Volume 9 doesn't have a release date yet. But following the pattern of previous releases, it should be at the end of October.

The raw episodes of the anime are in the middle of volume 5. This coming Tuesday's episode will finish off volume 5.

The most recent subbed episodes of the anime (SHS's episode 12 release) is in the middle of the side story from volume 4.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2007-01-26, 13:23   Link #270
Starkle
hmm, sleep..............

I checked on amazon and there is a release date for number 9, it is sept. 25th. I wish they translated them faster, instead of 1 every 3 months
Old 2007-01-26, 13:31   Link #271
LKK

Cool! V9 wasn't listed the last time I did my date checking, plus I didn't have a specific date for v8 yet. Now, thanks to you, I have both. (V8 is June 26.)

What I want to see most of all though is an Amazon Japan listing for v10. I sure hope the mangaka is still working on the series.

Old 2007-01-26, 14:50   Link #272
Starkle
hmm, sleep..............

Quote:
What I want to see most of all though is an Amazon Japan listing for v10. I sure hope the mangaka is still working on the series.
I'm with you there, I have heard rumors about a 10th volume, although I can't remember where. I hope they are true and it will come soon
Old 2007-01-26, 18:54   Link #273
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
I'm with you there, I have heard rumors about a 10th volume, although I can't remember where. I hope they are true and it will come soon
Rumors????? Rumors can be good, if you remember where you heard them, please tell! I want to see how this is all gonna end.

I did notice on ANN that vol 8 was out in Japan in 2003-07-04 and vol 9 in 2005-08-06 so it appears every 2 years a new vol is out, course Im assuming that means the mangaka has been working on vol 10. So maybe itll be out in Japan this summer. ~crosses fingers~
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-01-26, 18:58   Link #274
LKK

Quote:
Where I'm up to (vol 8), the GH team are still doubting Ayako's "self-proclaimed" (source: Mai) miko status. As Naru has said, she has yet to prove her credibility, so why hasn't he ousted her from the team?
Ayako has provided the team with help to a degree. She is the one who makes the protective charms. In v4, we see her (via Mai's vision) perform an exorcism in the locker room. So she does have an ability. At this point, her abilities seem less powerful than the others', certainly not up to the claims she makes about herself. That's true.

However, I think Naru (or possibly Lin) suspects that Ayako does have significant power of some sort that simply hasn't had the opportunity to manifest itself yet. He's keeping her on the team because he believes that she will become useful in a significant way given the proper situation.

It's similar to my theory as to why Naru hired Mai in the first place. Naru (or possibly Lin) sensed that Mai had potential and is giving that potential a chance to develop.

Old 2007-01-26, 20:37   Link #275
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

Quote:
I did notice on ANN that vol 8 was out in Japan in 2003-07-04 and vol 9 in 2005-08-06 so it appears every 2 years a new vol is out, course Im assuming that means the mangaka has been working on vol 10. So maybe itll be out in Japan this summer. ~crosses fingers~
Now that's really taking her time! It seems like the intervals between releases just got longer and longer...

#9 - 2006/2/6
#8 - 2003/7/4
#7 - 2002/5/2
#6 - 2001/10

When might 10 come out in Japan by observing this pattern? I'm betting on *dreads* mid 2008. Or maybe there have been phonebook installments and a new volume is just on its way to being compiled?
Runesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 20:53   Link #276
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Now that's really taking her time! It seems like the intervals between releases just got longer and longer...

#9 - 2006/2/6
#8 - 2003/7/4
#7 - 2002/5/2
#6 - 2001/10

When might 10 come out in Japan by observing this pattern? I'm betting on *dreads* mid 2008. Or maybe there have been phonebook installments and a new volume is just on its way to being compiled?
Thats all up to debate since the health of the mangka has been in question for a while and the reason the manga isnt coming out as fast. Anyone know whats wrong with her?
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-01-26, 21:25   Link #277
LKK

I've seen one or two comments about recent phonebook installments (recent = late summer, early fall 2006) with speculation of a Feb 2007 release of v10. But nothing definite. I went looking at the phonebook's web site to see if I could recognize anything. But what little of the web site was translated by the autotranslater wasn't helpful in the least.

Old 2007-01-26, 22:20   Link #278
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Man Id kill for a feb rel of 10!!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-01-26, 23:10   Link #279
Starkle
hmm, sleep..............

I'll show my ignorance here but what are phonebook installments? that's the first I have heard of it.
Old 2007-01-26, 23:19   Link #280
LKK

Have you seen Shonen Jump or Shojo Beat in the US? Well, manga magazines published in Japan are like those only much thicker with many more stories per issue. They're so thick, they've been nicknamed phonebooks because they're nearly that size. (Not to mention they have a similar paper quality.) For example, the January Asuka I have has a spine that's 1 1/2 inches thick.

Tags
shoujo